Chapter 7

Buffy looked around in awe once she stepped into the fancy restaurant that Spike took her to. Apparently, it was a pretty hot spot in California; a few celebrities had been known to dine there. She smiled when Spike pulled out the chair for her, sitting down and watching as he did the same.

“Spike, this place is just too much. How can you even afford it?”

He smiled at her. “Don’t worry, love. It’s all taken care of; you just enjoy yourself and order whatever you want.”

Buffy nodded and glanced down at the menu, hoping he was right about that.

Spike knew that he would never be able to afford eating out at such an extravagant place, which was why he decided to ‘borrow’ his father’s credit card earlier that day. With a grin, he picked up the menu in front of him and browsed through the most expensive choices he could find.


* * * * *


“Thank you; I had a nice time tonight.”

Spike was relieved to hear that. “I’m glad, but now it’s time for all little girls to get tucked into bed. I’ll see you in school tomorrow.”

Buffy nodded and placed a soft kiss on his cheek, then with one more smile, walked into her house.

Spike touched the spot where she kissed him, a smile of his own forming on his face.


* * * * *


“Where the fuck is it?”

Spike had a feeling that Ethan might question him the second he got home, but he just walked by him and headed into the living room. “Where’s what?”

Ethan grabbed him by the arm, turning Spike around to face him. “You know what I’m bloody talking about. I went into my wallet and noticed that my credit card was missing. What did you do with it?”

Spike shrugged and took the card out of his pocket, handing it over to his father. “It was very useful tonight, but I’m afraid you might not have much left on it.”

Ethan snatched it out of his grasp, shoving Spike against the wall. “You’re really asking for it, boy. I won’t have you wasting my money on your little whore.”

That was enough to really anger Spike and before he knew what he was doing, he shoved Ethan back. “She’s not a whore; you don’t know anything about her.”

He chuckled. “Oh, did I strike a nerve? Why would anyone else want you? Get this through your thick skull, boy. You are a worthless piece of shit. Do you think she will ever love you? Your own mother couldn’t even love you, so why would anyone else? You’re nothing but a disgrace. If you take anything that belongs to me again, you will regret it.”

Spike had enough as he watched Ethan walk away from him. He had to deal with the abuse and cruel comments for most of his life, but wasn’t about to take it anymore. With that thought in mind, he charged at Ethan, grabbing him by the shirt and punching him hard in the jaw.

Ethan stumbled back, touching his face in shock. It quickly wore off and turned into rage. “You’re going to pay for that, you little fuck.” He pushed Spike back, pleased as he fell to the ground. Ethan threw punches and kicks at Spike, not letting him get up until he was good and bruised. When he figured the boy finally had enough, he stepped back. “Maybe next time, you’ll learn to respect your elders.” Ethan walked away after that, leaving Spike in pain and moaning on the floor.


* * * * *


Buffy was awoken from a deep slumber by a tapping sound. She wiped the sleep from her eyes, looking up to notice Spike sitting outside of her window. She quickly got out of bed and made her way over to him, lifting up the windowpane.

“What are you doing here? It’s after midnight.” It was then that she got a better look at him, all the cuts and bruises on his face now very clear. Buffy gasped and brought her hand to her mouth, lowering it after a few seconds. “God, what happened to you? Are you okay?”

He gave a small smile. “Can I come in, love? I promise to tell you anything that you want to know.”

Buffy nodded and motioned for him to come inside, moving out of the way and closing the window behind him. She took his hand and led him over to her bed, where they both sat down. “Who did this to you?” Buffy whispered, lightly touching one of his cuts, which caused him to wince a little. “Sorry,” she apologized.

“It’s okay, that’s nothing compared to a couple of hours ago. Apparently, I pissed off my old man one too many times.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. “Your father did this to you?”

He shrugged. “I’ve gotten used to it. He finally went to bed and I just had to get out of that house. I’m sorry for dropping by like this, but I didn’t know where else to go.”

“That’s fine, I’m glad you came to me. I just can’t believe someone could do this to their own kid, it’s horrible. Have you told anyone about this?”

Spike shook his head. “Xander is the only one that knows, and now you. He’s been my best mate for years. I knew that he would be able to relate, having to deal with something similar. I knew that I could trust him.”

Buffy nodded. “I understand that, but why didn’t you tell someone else? Why didn’t you go to the principal, or the police?”

“I didn’t want to get anyone else involved. I figured I could hold out until graduation, then I would be done with him. I’ll move far away where I’ll never have to see the wanker again, I guarantee it’s no loss for him. He dealt with a lot of trouble in England, and I know he never plans on going back. That would be the perfect place for me.”

Buffy took his hand in hers, giving it a comforting squeeze. “I’m sorry that you have to go through this, but it means a lot that you told me. Sometimes we’re better off without our fathers. My dad walked out on us when I was about six, it was the best thing that ever could have happened. Giles is my father now; I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

He smiled. “That’s good to know, he seems like a decent enough bloke. I can tell how much he adores you.”

She smiled as well, then frowned when a thought occurred to her. “Spike, where’s your mother? If you don’t mind me asking.”

Spike was quiet for a moment, his mother never being a subject that he liked to talk about much. “She died when I was really young. Suicide, I don’t remember much about what happened.”

Buffy now felt bad for asking. “I’m so sorry.”

“It was hard at first, but I’ve managed without her. She wasn’t a very loving person; all I really remember is her being depressed most of the time. She would argue with my father a lot. From what he told me, it sounded like she overdosed on sleeping pills. I never really knew why.” Spike didn’t want to tell her that he was probably the reason, that he was such a horrible son and she wanted to get away from him. That was his father’s theory, anyway, but it didn’t make him believe it any less.

Buffy cupped his cheek, forcing him to look at her. “You’re such an amazing person to deal with all of that.”

Spike felt his eyes tear up, knowing that he was far from being amazing. No one ever looked at him like that before, like he was actually worth something. He soon found himself lost in her eyes, leaning closer and gently pressing his lips to hers.

Buffy didn’t hesitate before returning the kiss.

Spike pulled away when breathing became an issue, avoiding her gaze. “I’m sorry; I shouldn’t have done that.”

Buffy shook her head and made him look back at her. “Don’t be sorry for that, just kiss me.”

Spike wasn’t expecting that, but couldn’t deny her anything. He kissed her again, this time more passionately. He knew what they were about to do. There would be no going back, but this wasn’t about some stupid bet. This was about being with the one woman that was capable of opening his heart to love for the first time in his life. There would definitely be no going back now.