Chapter 9

Spike awoke with a heavy heart, glancing next to him to see Buffy still sleeping peacefully. He slowly sat up, grabbing his clothes and putting them on. He looked at the clock and noticed that it was five in the morning, knowing that he would have to get home before his father woke up. Spike didn’t feel like explaining where he was all night. He couldn’t help feeling guilty for what they did. Not that he regretted being with Buffy, but he wished it could have been after the week was over. That way she would know it had nothing to do with a stupid bet, but he just couldn’t resist her. Spike prayed that she would never find out about it. He stood as quietly as he could, but the movement caused Buffy to open her eyes.

“Spike, where are you going?”

He turned at her soft voice. “I have to get home. You go back to sleep, it’s still early.”

She frowned at the tone of his voice. “Are you okay?”

Spike gave her a small smile. “I’m perfect, don’t worry about me. I should get home before my dad wakes up.”

Buffy nodded. “Okay, I’ll just see you at school.”

He nodded as well, moving closer and placing a quick kiss on her lips. “Yeah, I’ll see you later.”

Buffy watched as Spike went back out her window, wondering if something was wrong.


* * * * *


She was even more concerned as the day went by. Spike didn’t come up to her in lunch; he never even talked to her in class. Buffy was really starting to worry that he might have regrets about what they did. She just wished he would talk to her.

“Is everything all right? You’ve been really quiet.”

Buffy broke out of her reverie at Willow’s voice. “I’m just thinking about Spike. You know him better than I do. Have you ever witnessed him having real feelings for anyone in school?”

Willow thought about it. “I don’t know. There was that girl he had a huge crush on during freshman year, but she turned him down. He took it pretty hard. I don’t think there has been anyone since then. Spike doesn’t usually get strong feelings about someone. I heard that he just likes to sleep around, usually the girls don’t really mind.” Her eyes widened. “I probably shouldn’t have told you that.”

Buffy felt her heart ache, thinking about the way Spike acted after they slept together. He couldn’t wait to get away from her.

“I’m sure it’s different with you, Buffy. I’ve seen a change in him since you came into his life. You might not have anything to worry about.”

Buffy really wished she could believe that, but was starting to have her doubts.

“Hello, ladies. How are we doing today?”

Willow was surprised by the appearance of Parker Abrams. “Um, why are you talking to us?”

He smiled. “I’m really just here to have a word with Buffy. Let’s go for a walk, there’s something that you need to know.”

Buffy was confused, but figured that it couldn’t hurt. She nodded and walked out of the cafeteria with Parker, hoping that she wouldn’t end up regretting it.


* * * * *


Spike found Parker by his locker after school, needing to finally put an end to this.

“The bet is over, Abrams. I’m officially done with you.”

Parker grinned. “So, you slept with her then?”

Spike glared at him. “All you need to know is that we’re finished, what happened between me and Buffy is our business. I just want to forget that I ever agreed to this in the first place. Buffy means a lot to me, I don’t want her to know anything about this.”

“Well, it might be a little late for that.”

Spike gave him a look that could kill. “What did you do?”

Parker shrugged. “I talked to Buffy a little earlier today. Let her know that there were no hard feelings; I guess the whole thing about the bet just happened to slip out.”

Spike clenched his fists at his side. “You told her? Bloody wanker, you just won’t be satisfied until you ruin everyone’s life. Where is she?”

“Last I saw, she was leaving school. She could be anywhere by now.”

Spike shoved Parker back. “You’ll want to stay away from me from now on. You come near me again, I won’t be held responsible for what I do.”

Parker wasn’t even intimidated as Spike walked away. He couldn’t wait for the fireworks that were bound to take place.


* * * * *


Spike found Buffy sitting outside the school, her head down. He sat next to her, waiting for her to hopefully speak up first. He didn’t have to wait for very long.

“Is it true?” she wondered quietly.

Spike didn’t even need to ask what she was referring to. “I’m sorry, I never meant for things to go this far.”

Buffy nodded and stood up, wiping her eyes of the tears that she shed earlier. “I guess that would explain the way you’ve been acting today. So, is that it? Now that you got what you wanted, you’re just done with me? God, I can’t believe how stupid I’ve been. I knew there had to be a reason of why you seemed to want to be around me. Willow told me about you, but I didn’t listen. I saw the good inside of you and decided to give you a chance. Was it all just an act? Did you even care about me at all?”

Spike stood up at the end of her speech, the tears breaking his heart even more. “Of course I did. I do, it wasn’t supposed to be like this. You have to believe me, Buffy. I never meant to hurt you. I know what I did was wrong. I swear, I’ll do whatever it takes to make it up to you. What we had was very special; I don’t want it to be over.”

She shook her head. “You should have thought about that before. How can I ever trust you again, Spike? I started to really fall for you. You broke my heart, that’s not something I can just forgive. I have to go.”

He stopped her from leaving. “Buffy, please, we need to talk about this. I’m so sorry for everything, just let me explain.”

“There’s nothing you can say that will make this better. I just want to be left alone.”

Spike let her walk away that time, hoping that he would somehow be able to gain back her trust.