Author's Chapter Notes:
The last chapter! Make sure to review, please!
Chapter 26 – Birthday Boy

One week later Spike came into Will’s classroom for the show and tell. He was surprisingly nervous about it. Of course his nerves had been running on high all day. Things had been going well with Buffy since she moved in, but today of all days was his birthday and it seemed that she had forgotten. That bugged him more than a little. He didn’t want it to ruin his day, but it was constantly at the back of his mind.

When he’d woken up that morning she wasn’t even in bed. She was already downstairs and nearly out the door when he first saw her. She had kissed him on the cheek, almost methodically, and asked him to make sure that Dawn and Will got off to school. Then she hurried out the door. He thought maybe she was just preoccupied. She had reminded him that today was show and tell at Will’s school though and that threw out the preoccupied excuse. If she was able to remember that he didn’t think she could be too preoccupied to remember his birthday.

Spike was a tough enough guy. He didn’t let much get to him, but when it came to Buffy all bets were off. He couldn’t control himself when it came to her. Anything and everything she did had a sway over his emotions. When she was happy, he was happy. When she was sad or worried, he was sad or worried. Today he was nervous that maybe she was hiding something from him. As he stood at the side of the classroom and waited for Will’s turn to come around it never occurred to him that she could be planning a surprise for him.

Will was nearly the last one to go. He stepped up to the front of the classroom and smiled as he spoke to the class. “Well, I haven’t known my dad very long, but my mom talked about him a lot before I met him, and he’s a very good dad. Sometimes we stay in and watch TV or play games, and some days we go out to the park or the aquarium. The aquarium is my favorite. And my dad has the same name as me except that he has a different last name and he has another name too. To my mom my dad is just William, but to a lot of other people my dad is Spike, but that’s just his stage name because he’s a rock star.”

As Will started to speak Spike came forward and stood beside him. He couldn’t believe that a 5 year old was as adept at seeing things and speaking them in front of the entire class. Spike had the decency to be a little embarrassed by Will’s admission to the class, but he was also happy. Will was obviously happy too. He was grinning and looking at Spike in a way that melted his heart. Spike grinned back at his son and then looked at the class. “Hi,” he said with a small wave.

“Very nice Will,” the teacher said.

“Thanks Miss Lockley,” Will said as he went back to his seat.

Spike went back to his place along the wall and waited for the class to end. It was Will’s last class of the day and Spike had told Buffy that he would take Will home. The class finished up and Spike took Will’s hand as they walked out, Will hopping and skipping the whole way to the car. All Spike could do was smile at him as his son wore his happiness like a second skin. Kids were so easily pleased, such simple creatures.

“Do you wanna go out for some ice cream?” Spike asked as he buckled Will in the back seat.

“Yeah!” Will answered, practically bouncing in his seat.

“Alright kiddo, we’ll go do that.” Spike got in his seat and started up the car. He drove them to their favorite ice cream spot and parked along the street. Then he got out and went around to the passenger’s side to help Will get out of the car too.

While they waited in line a few minutes Spike picked Will up so that he could read the ice creams, or at least look at the pictures, and decide what he wanted.

“Do you want a cup or a cone?” Spike asked him.

“Cup,” he said, thoughtfully.

“Ok. Do you know what kind of ice cream you want yet?”

“That one,” he said, pointing at a picture of cherry vanilla with fudge sauce drizzled over it.

“Good choice,” Spike replied. “I might have to get that one too.”

“Really?” he said, the question written all over his face.

“If that’s ok with you.”

He seemed to think about it for a second before answering. “Ok.”

“What can I get you?” the attendant asked, looking at Spike and smiling at them both.

“We’ll have two cherry vanilla sundaes,” Spike told her.

“With fudge sauce!” Will added.

“I’ll make sure they do that,” the girl said, smiling at Will.

Will just grinned.

“That’ll be $6.28,” she said.

Spike pulled out his wallet and handed her the money, and then scooted down along the counter to wait for their sundaes at the window at the end. He set Will down to pick up the sundaes and then led him over to a table by the window.

“How is it?” Spike asked, a few seconds later. Will already had ice cream and fudge sauce around his lips. Spike knew that he’d have to clean him up before Buffy got home even if he was cute when he looked like that.

“Yummy!”

Spike just smiled at his son and they both finished their sundaes, laughing and giggling about this and that. Spike was happy as long as his family was happy and he had found it very easy to make Will happy since he’d known him. In Will’s eyes his father could do no wrong. Spike wasn’t so sure though. He was constantly terrified that he would screw up and lose it all. Buffy’s worries sometimes intensified that fear, but when she spoke of them he just did his best to ease her fears.

He knew that she could worry endlessly about things that would never happen and it would do no good. For now everything was going well and he just hoped that it would last. It felt like it could last and he wanted it to last forever. His mind occasionally ventured back to the fact that Buffy had seemingly forgotten his birthday today though. Spike was happy to have spent some time with Will on his birthday though. There wasn’t much more Spike could want at this moment, but he always wanted Buffy. He wanted to hold her, to love her, and to make her happy.

They finished up and Spike took Will to the bathroom to clean off his face. He wet a paper towel and wiped the ice cream residue off of Will’s cheeks, hands, and chin. “There we go.” He smiled and Will smiled back, kissing him on the cheek unexpectedly. “Ready to go home?” Spike asked.

“Yep.”

Pulling into his parking space at home shortly afterwards Spike noticed that Buffy’s car was already there. “Looks like Mama’s home,” Spike said to Will as he helped him out of the backseat again.

As soon as he walked in he saw a few wrapped presents on the counter and Dawn in the kitchen. “Where’s your sister?” Spike asked.

“Getting ready,” Dawn said.

“For what?” Spike asked, confused. It was apparent that Buffy hadn’t forgotten his birthday after all. He should have known that though. He felt silly for ever doubting her.

“It’s a surprise,” Dawn said with a smile, taking Will’s hand and leading him into the kitchen.

“Oh, ok. That really helps,” Spike said smartly.

“She wanted me to tell you to get ready too. She’s taking you out somewhere for your birthday and she wants you to dress nice.”

“Nice how?” Spike asked, trying to get clues as to what Buffy was planning.

“Go!” Dawn said, coming over to push him out of the kitchen area.

“Alright, alright,” he said, giving up.

“And she’s in the guest room with the door locked so don’t even think about peeking,” Dawn said as he walked away.

Spike groaned and took the stairs two at a time. When he got into his room he noticed that Buffy wasn’t there, but there was a note on his bed lying beside a pre-chosen outfit. He smiled as he picked up the piece of paper and sat down to read her note.

William,

Happy birthday! You didn’t think I’d forgotten, did you? Well, you probably did, but I won’t hold it against you. Now go ahead and put on the clothes that I picked out for you because I’m taking the birthday boy out, and no, I’m not telling you where until we get there. That’s the whole point of a surprise.

I love you,

Buffy


He smiled through the note, hearing her voice say the words to him in his head. Slowly scratching the back of his head, he put the note back down and went into the bathroom. His reflection in the mirror didn’t look that different to him, but today he was 25. Nothing looked different, but he felt different and so much had changed in the last few months. The music was back on track. He had a family, and best of all, he had Buffy. Everything was perfect, so he wondered if other people saw that when they looked at him.

Exhaling a deep breath, Spike looked away from the mirror. No sense in staring into it any longer when he needed to get ready. He stripped down and stepped in the shower. It hadn’t been a busy day, but he wanted to freshen up before going out with Buffy. Before going to Will’s school he had spent a few hours practicing with the band. They had another show in a few weeks.

His curiosity was nearly driving him insane though. He washed his hair and ran his fingers through it, rinsing it thoroughly. Then he slowly ran the bar of soap over his entire body methodically washing the dirt and sweat from this morning’s band practice from his body. Stepping out of the shower, he grabbed a towel and dried off as he walked back into the bedroom. As he rubbed a towel over his hair he looked around his room.

It had only been a few months since Buffy had moved in with him, but already he could see a change in the house. There were pictures of them together, of them with Will and Dawn. This wasn’t just a house anymore. It was a home and he could feel the difference when he wanted to come home every night. He missed not being there when he was working and when he was home there was nowhere else he wanted to be.

Spike quickly slipped on the black pinstripe shirt and the black slacks that Buffy had laid out for him. She had even picked out socks and shoes for him. She’d really gone out and it just made Spike wonder what she had planned for the evening. There had obviously been some thought put into it all and he was surprised with himself that he was beginning to feel nervous about it. They were good nerves though. He was excited to see what Buffy had done.

A moment later there was a knock on his door. He practically ran to the door and opened it only to see Dawn. He wanted to see Buffy standing there, but Dawn just smiled. “She’s waiting downstairs for you,” Dawn said with a smile.

He grabbed the jacket laying on the bed and hurried downstairs, slowing down for the last few steps so as not to appear too eager. She knew him though. She knew he would be antsy. She was dragging this out to prolong his anticipation and he knew it. He took the last few steps and saw her. Her back was to him at first, but when she heard him step onto the hardwood floor she slowly turned around, her eyes dancing with her own anticipation. It was then that his jaw dropped a little.

She looked so elegant in a form fitting little black dress, her hair in an up do with little tendrils framing her face, and teardrop pearl earrings. Her neck was bare, but he liked it that way. He could admire her soft skin and he wanted to reach out and run his hand along her collarbone now, but he kept his hands to himself, feeling unsure if he’d be able to control himself if he did touch her now. He could already see himself slipping the thin spaghetti straps from her shoulders and kissing her bare skin.

Instead of doing anything rash with Dawn and Will standing by, he stepped closer and said, “You look gorgeous, love.”

“Thank you,” she said, blushing a little. “So do you,” she added with a wink.

He offered her his arm and turned toward Dawn and Will. Buffy leaned over and kissed Will on the cheek and then smiled at Dawn. Then she looked up at Spike and said, “Ok, I’m ready.”

She let Spike lead the way out of the house and down to their cars parked along the street in front of the house. “Who’s driving?” he asked.

“You can drive,” she said. “I’ll just give you directions.” She winked at him and he chuckled lightly and kissed her on the cheek.

“I love you.”

“And I love you.”

Spike opened the door of his Desoto for Buffy and closed it once she was in before going around to the driver’s side. “So, are you going to tell me what you’ve got up your sleeve or just let my curiosity kill me?” he asked.

“I’ll torture you a bit longer,” she said demurely. “But I’m not going to kill you because then I wouldn’t get my fun.”

“What kind of fun is that?” he asked, trying to get something out of her.

“Hmm?” she teased.

“Ok, so where am I driving, love?”

Buffy gave him directions, telling him when to turn until they reached a fancy French restaurant. “Here?” he said, slightly bewildered.

“Just wait and see,” she said, her eyes alight. She led him inside this time and gave the hostess her name. She then led them to a private courtyard where there was a candlelit dinner set up.

Buffy smiled as Spike held out her seat for her and then went to the other side of the table to take his seat. Looking across the table at him she couldn’t help but smiling. Before Buffy had run into Spike a few months ago she didn’t have as much reason to smile as she did now. Will always made her smile when he did something cute, but being with Spike made her unbelievably happy. She still didn’t quite believe her luck. She had a beautiful son and a man who loved her very much. Could she ask for anything more?

Tonight was about that man. She wanted to show him just what he gave her and just how much he meant to her. He didn’t often let her do things for him, but his birthday was the perfect opportunity for her to surprise him and do something nice for him. A pretty waitress came up and asked them what they wanted to drink. Buffy nodded to Spike for him to order if he’d like, but he gave her the reins. It seemed that she was taking care of everything tonight and he liked it.

“We’ll have a bottle of your finest champagne,” Buffy said. The waitress left and Buffy turned her attention back to Spike. “So, did you really think I’d forgotten your birthday?”

“Well…” he began hesitantly. When she looked at him he knew that she already knew he had. “Yeah, kinda,” he admitted.

She smiled reassuringly at him. “It’s ok. I probably would have thought you’d forgotten mine too if you didn’t mention it all day.”

“I’ll keep that in mind when yours rolls around.”

“You better,” she said, half teasingly.

“What else do you have planned for tonight, love?” he asked as the waitress brought their champagne and poured them each a glass.

Buffy just smiled at him and proceeded to order her dinner and waited for Spike to do the same. Once the waitress was gone Buffy took a sip of the champagne. “Very nice.”

“You still didn’t answer my question, pet.”

“I know. It’s a surprise,” she said alluringly.

He could feel himself harden a little just at the prospects of her surprise. She would surely drive him mad, but dinner passed by with light conversation, good food, and happy smiles. Buffy even made sure to order dessert making Spike wonder if she was intentionally dragging out the dinner portion of the evening. He didn’t say anything though.

When dessert was over, Buffy made sure that Spike never saw the bill. She paid with a credit card and left the waitress a generous tip for taking good care of them and leaving them mostly to themselves for the duration of the evening. That was what Buffy had wanted. She let Spike lead her out to the car and she quietly waited for the car ride to be over. Not a word was uttered the whole ride back to the house.

Spike was the first to speak when they walked in the house and it was dark and quiet. It was still fairly early and he had expected to see Dawn up at the very least. “Where are Dawn and Will?” he asked, turning to look at Buffy. He had a feeling there was something more to it than them just being upstairs sound asleep.

Buffy smiled coyly. “They have sleepovers tonight.”

“We have the place to ourselves?”

She nodded. “First surprise.” Taking his hand, she led him upstairs to their bedroom. There was no sense in wasting time downstairs when all they both wanted was to be in their bed, but Buffy had one more thing to give him for his birthday and she was really hoping that he liked it. Standing in their room she turned to look at him and smiled as she took off his jacket. Then she undid his tie and unbuttoned the first few buttons on his shirt. “Better?” she asked softly, reaching up to kiss the corner of his mouth.

“Much,” he replied, meeting her gaze. “Is there another surprise?”

“Uh huh.”

“Do I get it now?” he asked playfully.

“You do,” she said. “Get on the bed and close your eyes. I’ll be back in a minute.”

She left the room and he did as she told him. He stretched out on the bed for a few seconds before deciding to take off more of his clothes. First he took off his shoes and socks. Then he unbuttoned his shirt and slid that off too, leaving everything on a chair by the walk in closet they shared. He heard her footsteps outside their bedroom door. It was then that he realized she had slipped back into the guestroom. He grew more curious by the second, but he quickly got back on the bed and stretched out once more closing his eyes.

Buffy smiled at the sight of him lying out on the bed with his eyes closed. His bare chest looked so delicious and she couldn’t wait to touch him. She carefully climbed on the bed with him. He kept his eyes closed though and she was able to crawl over him and kiss him softly before he knew what she was doing. When his hands went to her shoulders and pulled her to him she gasped delightedly.

The kiss broke a second later so they both could breathe again and Spike finally got a look at her. She was dressed in a red corset, red thong, red garters, and red pumps. She was a vision in red, his favorite color on her. It was so sexy and invoked even more passion in him than he thought he could possibly feel her. He already felt so much for her. How was it possible that his feelings could grow just at the sight of her?

“I’m falling more in love with you every day,” he admitted quietly, pulling back slightly to get a better look at her.

“I know just how you feel.”

He kissed her again, his hands roaming over her body and eliciting soft moans of pleasure. She tried to press her body closer to his. She couldn’t get enough of him. She loved him too much for that. She’d always want him. When he stopped she whispered breathlessly, “Happy birthday, William.”

He smiled and kissed her again. Their night was just beginning as were the rest of their lives. Buffy trusted William right now, but could she really trust him if she never faced her own father issues? Could she allow herself to believe that William would stick around where her father never did?

Father of mine
Tell me where have you been
You know I just closed my eyes
My whole world disappeared
Father of mine
Take me back to the day
When I was still your golden boy
Back before you went away

I remember blue skies
Walking the block
I loved it when you held me high
I loved to hear you talk
You would take me to the movie
You would take me to the beach
You would take me to a place inside
That is so hard to reach

Father of mine
Tell me where did you go
You had the world inside your hand
But you did not seem to know
Father of mine
Tell me what do you see
When you look back at your wasted life
And you don’t see me

I was ten years old
Doing all that I could
It wasn’t easy for me
To be a scared white boy
In a black neighborhood
Sometimes you would send me a birthday card
With a five dollar bill
I never understood you then
And I guess I never will

Daddy gave me a name
My dad he gave me a name
Then he walked away
Daddy gave me a name
Then he walked away
My daddy gave me a name

Daddy gave me a name
Daddy gave me a name
Then he walked away
Daddy gave me a name
Then he walked away
My daddy gave me a name

Father of mine
Tell me where have you been
I just closed my eyes
And the world disappeared
Father of mine
Tell me how do you sleep
With the children you abandoned
And the wife I saw you beat

I will never be safe
I will never be sane
I will always be weird inside
I will always be lame
Now I’m a grown man
With a child of my own
And I swear I’m not going to let her know
All the pain I have known

Then he walked away
Daddy gave me a name
Then he walked away
My dad gave me a name
Then he walked away
My daddy gave me a name
Then he walked away
My daddy gave me a name
Then he walked away
Then he walked away
Then he walked away



THE END


Chapter End Notes:
Well... how did I do as far as endings go?

I've started planning a sequel. If I get some reviews I'll post it. :D