Author's Chapter Notes:
Again, I’m just blown away by the awesome reviews! Thanks, they mean a lot too me, and not to mention let’s me know what you think of the story. Hope you enjoy this chapter as well. Title from Nelly Furtado.
Disclaimer: All hail, Joss. King of the Angst-verse. Where none of our favorite couples will ever be truly happy.

*****

Chapter Four: Promiscuous?




She stood gazing into the mirror, searching, trying to see if anything about her hand changed. But nothing had. To the outside world Buffy was your typical fifteen year old Californian girl. No one knew what had happened Friday night in Spike’s black Desoto parked in front of Jesse’s house. No one knew that she had finally gotten her first official kiss, tongue and all.



Buffy turned her head left then right. Nope, she still looked the same except for the sappy grin that refused to leave her face. Or the feel of Spike’s oh so soft lips. She was certain that her own lips wouldn’t stop tingling anytime soon.



“Mom told me, to tell you, that you need to get your butt moving, if you don’t want to be late.” Dawn announced from the doorway. She scrunched up her nose. “And just what are you doing?”



Buffy rolled her eyes. She really hated annoying little sister’s who asked way too many questions. “Nothing! Now get away from my door!” Turning away from the mirror with one final look, Buffy began to put the finishing touches to her outfit and hair, before heading out the door. Today she definitely didn’t want to be late for school.



*****



“I see someone’s in a happy mood!” Faith greeted the blonde.



Buffy closed the door to her locker. “Am I that see through?”



“Yup! It’s written all over your face.” Faith admitted.



Buffy frowned. “Well, I don’t want to walk around looking like I’m having a stroke or something. But I can’t help it.” She explained, as her eyes scanned the hall for that particular flash of platinum amongst the mixture of students and faculty. Buffy sighed with disappointment not being able to spot Spike. She started walking down the hall. She would bump into him sooner or later.



The two girls walked in silence for a few moments before the blonde turned to the brunette.



“So, how did the rest of your evening go?”




Faith gave her a cheeky grin along with a wiggle of her brow. “Oh, it went quite well, actually. Nah, better than well. I had a blast!”



After leaving Buffy at Jesse’s house, and after convincing Xander that he could not talk her out of getting laid that night, she went over to Angel’s. “I would give you details, but I’m scared I might give you a heart attack.”



“Yes, please, keep the sexcapade between you and Angel. Honestly, how can you even sleep with him?” Buffy tired to imagine it but shivered with revolution. He was just so big and bulky, how could anyone find him attractive?



Faith tossed an arm over Buffy’s shoulder. “B, it’s hard to explain. Let’s just put it this way. Once you’ve popped, you can’t stop. And, Angel, has some pretty good popping skills.”


It took a moment for her words to sink in and for Buffy to catch her meaning. “Ewww! Faith! Once you pop. There will be no popping of me in the foreseeable future.”



That only caused Faith to snicker. “Yeah, well, keep going down the road you’re head with Blondie…” she let the sentence trail off. Buffy’s cheeks began to turn pink. Though she wasn’t sure if the blush was caused by Faith’s words, or from the images that her mind conjured up of her and Spike. Just the thought of them actually having sex was too much to think about.



*****


The day moved surprisingly fast and Buffy looked forward to her fourth period class, English, because she was certain that she’d see Spike there.




Now sitting in class a frown marred her face. Spike wasn’t here either. ‘Maybe he cut school today,’ she thought.



Jesse sat beside her. He had greeted her with a small wave and to his surprise, Buffy returned the gesture. But she refused to glance his way afterwards. He could see that her attention was focused on the classroom door. His face turned into a scowl. She was waiting for William.



Jesse refused to call him Spike. He felt that it was a stupid nickname, and anyone with at least half a brain wouldn’t take him seriously. Unfortunately, the whole student body was idiots, and from the looks of it, Buffy had fallen into the majority too.



Buffy starred at the text in her book, but she couldn’t focus on reading it. Her mind was elsewhere. Was Spike avoiding her? Was she that horrible of a kisser that he couldn’t even face her? God, she was such an idiot. And to think, she actually thought that she had a chance with him. She didn’t pay attention as the door swung open.



“Thank you, Mr. Pratt for gracing my classroom with you genius.” Mr. Henderson sarcastically commented without looking up from his book.



Spike sat at his desk, sparring a glance Buffy’s way. At that moment she was starring at him as well. He gave her a quick smile. Buffy paused before smiling back. The exchange didn’t go unnoticed by the boy sitting to her right. He couldn’t begin to understand what Buffy saw in Spike. He would just have to show her what kind of guy Spike really was.



“Okay, he smiled at me. That’s a good sign. Right? It means something. He’s not ignoring me.”



Ten minutes remained of class so Buffy turned back to her reading, that’s when someone tapped her on the shoulder. It was Sharon, she sat directly behind her. Buffy arched a brow in silent question, the girl only responded by handing her a folded piece of paper. Buffy accepted it, then turned back around in her set.



That was strange. They had never exchanged words in their lives, but here she was passing a note to Buffy in class. She wasn’t sure if she should read it or not, instead, she turned the paper over and over in her hand. Some giggling to her left caught her attention, and Buffy turned to see what was so funny.



Amanda and Kathy sat whispering to each other then started laughing again. Normally, Buffy wouldn’t find this odd, but their eyes never left her as they chatted. Then Amanda gave Buffy a nasty smirk before finally looking away. Okay, that was even stranger than the note passing. That prompted Buffy into reading the note. She quickly unfolded it and began to read, realizing that she really wished that she hadn’t.



She couldn’t believe what she was reading. This had to a nightmare. But she knew that it wasn’t. Head snapping up, her eyes landed on Spike. She tried to get his attention but he was to faraway to hear her, and he was currently drawing in his English book. Plus she didn’t want Mr. Henderson jumping on her for disrupting his class.



Despite better judgment Buffy scanned the room and, that’s when she noticed a few more kids looking at her, some whispering, and others giggling. She turned back to the note, reading it once more. This had to be a mistake. Nope, it wasn’t. There it was scribbled across the sheet of notebook paper. Buffy apparently had had sex with Spike.



She balled the paper up and shoved it into her purse just as the bell rang. She snatched up her books and back pack and made a B-line for the door.



*****


“I’m never coming out!” Buffy whined through the closed door. Faith stood on the opposite side.



“It’s not that bad, Buffy.” Oh, but the blonde knew that it was bad. It was apocalyptic bad, that’s just how bad it was. It was all over school, it had spread like a brushfire in overly dry forest. All through lunch she had to deal with the stares, whispers, snide comments and the like.



“Come on, Buff, you gotta face this like a man… er… a girl. You can’t let this get you down.” Xander tried to cheer her up.



“No! My life is over! Don’t you get that?” She laid her head on the door. “Can’t I just go home and never come back… ever?”




“No. But what you can do is come out of there, and ride this wave of fifteen minutes of fame.”




That got her to open the door. “WHAT?!” She looked on, completely flabbergasted.



“Who cares if everyone thinks you did the nasty with Spike. At least it will get you out there; people will know your name. And besides,” Faith shrugged her shoulders. “kids lie about this shit all the time. It’s what we do.”



“Uh huh, so you lied about all the guys you’ve slept with?” Buffy asked, skeptically.




“No, I never lie when it comes to sex. I take full credited to all the boys I’ve done.” That caused Xander to roll his eyes.



The point is, I’m not every people. I don’t lie about those things. And why would someone say this about me?” She really hated to give voice to her fears, but it needed to be put out there. “Do… could… Did Spike do this?”



“Nah. He doesn’t have to lie about having sex. He gets it enough, and everyone knows it!” Faith said without batting an eyelash.



Buffy pouted. She hated the idea of Spike being with anyone but her, but she had to face the facts. She knew the facts, half of the girls who were giggling and whispering, and basically saying nasty things about her, were his previous “girl friends”. But she still found comfort in the fact that he wasn’t responsible for the rumor that was currently going around the school.




“Look, don’t worry about it. Me and Xander will run damage control.”



“Really?” Buffy asked, hope filling her voice.



“Yup!” Faith nodded.



“Good. And while we’re at it let’s put all those rumors about me being gay to a rest as well!” Xander added.



“Well, for starters you’re going to have to stopping hanging out in the girl’s bathroom.”



Xander’s face paled and he starred at Buffy as if she’d gone and grown two extra heads. “But it’s so much cleaner in here. And it doesn’t smell like pee.”



“Yeah, but,” Faith interjected, putting her arm around his shoulder. “if you ever want to get laid you’re going to have to start pissing in the boys room.”




Xander swallowed, and it so wasn’t because Faith’s had was currently on him, it was because he’d have to start using the male’s washroom. But if that was what needed to be done, then by God, that’s what he was willing to do. He refused to graduate a virgin.



*****


The tap on his shoulder caused him to turn around. Faith stood there her hands resting firmly on her hips and, a smirk graced her lips.



“What is it now?”



She just stood there and starred at him for a moment. Cocking her head to the side Faith looked him up and down. “You hear the rumor going around?”



Spike arched his brow. “Rumor? Need to be more specific, pet.”



“The one saying that you fucked my girl.” Faith watched his face for any reaction. There wasn’t any.



“Yeah, heard that one.” He wondered where this was headed.



“I’m not saying anything or pointing fingers. But you know, I was just wondering how something like that even got started.”



Oh, this was rich! “Don’t have a soddin’ clue. And before you go around running your yap…”



Faith smiled to herself. There goes the reaction she was looking for the whole clinching of the jaw and gritting of teeth. “Whoa, calm down, Blondie. I just wanted to make sure. For Buffy’s sake.”



Spike growled in frustration before pushing past her and stormed off down the hall. Faith stayed there and watched as he disappeared. She briefly entertained the idea that maybe he did like her friend. She could focus on that later, right now she had to find the punk who started all this shit, and beat their ass.


*****


Buffy walked the few blocks home alone. She was actually looking forward to getting in the house. She had it all planned out. She would lock herself in her room, and refuse to never come out until her parents said it was okay for her to be home schooled. She really didn’t see any objections to it. It was the “in” thing right now. All the celebrity kids were currently taught at home, so why couldn’t she be as well? And, hopefully, by the time graduation rolled around this whole fiasco would have blown over.



So caught up in her musings Buffy failed to notice the car pull up beside her. “Buffy!” She turned to look at the vehicle, was it talking to her? Taking a good look at the car for the first time she realized who it was. What did he want? Would he be mad at her? Did he think she started the rumor? The car stopped and the blond got out of it walking around to meet Buffy.



“Can we talk?” Spike asked, his eyes trained on her. Buffy sighed, nodding her head in agreement.



“Just wanted you to know that I didn’t say that… about you I mean.”



Buffy already knew he hadn’t, but hearing it coming from him made it all the more real. “I know, Spike. I never thought you did.”




He looked relieved at hearing her words and he smiled a bit, then his expression turned more serious. “Seems we have to fix this then, yeah? I know we haven’t hung out much, but since people have it in their heads that we’re “together” I think we should stop talking to each other.”




“What? No, you can’t. We haven’t really talked to even stop doing that.” Buffy nodded her head. “Yeah, that would be good, I guess.” Buffy laughed nervously.




“Right. So we’re okay then?” Spike asked, hesitantly.



Buffy forced a smile. “Yup, right as we ever were.” Internally she was a wreck, this so wasn’t fair.




With a final nod Spike returned to his car. Buffy stood there and watched as he pulled off and drove out of sight. Talk about a day from Hell. The sad part was the whole time that they were talking the only thing Buffy could think of was the taste of him; tobacco and mint. And now it looked as if she’d never get to taste Spike again.



*****

A/N: Well that was the chappie. What did you think? Any good? Let me know.