Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews guys! Mr. Muse is very happy and so am I, lol. Not to sound like a review whore, but I love them, so keep ‘em coming. Title comes from Alanis Morissette. I loved Jagged Little Pill. If you’re wondering. Yes, I do read all your reviews and I answer them too. So if you ask me something, what to know something, I will respond! And I keep forgetting to add, if you can’t tell already, this fic is unbeta’d. You’ve been warned, lol.
Chapter Six: You Learn




The door opened slowly since she wanted to be as quiet as possible. She giggled to herself as she made her way over to the bed. Dawn stop two feet away from her sleeping sister, with a deep breath she ran the rest of the way then jumped onto the bed.




Buffy moaned and pulled the blanket over her head. “Get away from me,” she groaned, trying to push her sister off of her.




Dawn straddled her waist and started bouncing harder. “Wake up, Buffy!”




“No, get away.” Buffy pushed the cover off of her and grabbed her sister by the shoulders. “Why are you doing this? You do know that it’s Saturday, right? We’re allowed to sleep in.”




The younger Summers pouted, causing Buffy to roll her eyes. That so didn’t work on her, she invented the pout after all. “I need to talk… to you.”




“And this conversation is so important that it couldn’t wait until after I woke up?”




“No, it can’t. It’s like really, really, really important.”




“Fine. Let me up.”




Dawn climbed off of her sister and moved to sit on the bed. Buffy scooted up to use the headboard as support and got comfortable. “Okay, so spill.”




“Promise you won’t get mad?” Dawn asked, a bit worried. She had no idea how Buffy was going to react to her question.




Against better judgment Buffy nodded her head in agreement. “Promise. Now what’s so important?”




“You. I mean, I know you only think of me as this little thorn in your side. And, really, I love being it.” Dawn smiled at that. “But even though people think I’m not paying attention, I am, and I see things. Notice things. Like, you and Willow, how you don’t talk anymore. Why don’t you two talk anymore?”




Buffy frowned. Just when did her little sister become so observant? “It’s complicated, Dawnie.”





“How can anything be so complicated that two friends who’ve known each other since the beginning of time, just stop talking to each other?”




“I don’t know. It just happens, okay.” Buffy sighed.



Dawn leaned across the bed and placed her hand on Buffy’s covered knee. “Well, I think you need to unhappen it, because you’re not happy. I see that. And I don’t think Willow’s happy either. Can’t you just go back to the way you two were before?”




“I’m still sleepy. I’ll talk to you later.” Dawn knew a dismissal when given one. She watched as Buffy slipped back under her cover and closed her eyes. With a sigh, she got up off of the bed and walked to the door. She just hoped that she didn’t lose all her friends when she got older. Dawn really wasn’t looking forward to become a teenager if it meant that you had to change who you were.



*****


The redhead had searched high and low for that darn sweater. She just couldn’t seem to find it no matter where she looked. It wasn’t in the laundry room, it wasn’t in her closet and, it wasn’t in the basement with her winter stuff. She even checked in her parent’s closet and dresser drawers - nothing. There was only one last place for her to look, and she dreaded the idea.




She raced down the stairs and headed for the front door, shouting out to her mother that she would be back in a few minutes.



*****



Buffy had just gotten out of the shower and, slipped into a pair of pink sweat pants and a white tank top, when she heard the door bell. Shrugging, she headed over to her vanity to dry her hair.




“Buffy, you have company.” Joyce called up the steps.




Buffy frowned; she wasn’t expecting Faith or Xander to drop by. Especially Faith, since Joyce didn’t like her. The girl avoided the house when Buffy’s mom was home.



Buffy walked down the steps then stopped; there stood Willow, a solemn look on her face. The two stared at each other for a few moments before the redhead broke the silence.




“I was looking for my pink fuzzy sweater. I looked all over even in my parents room, but I couldn’t find it. So I figured it must be here.”




“Oh, okay. Umm, I can go look for it if you like?” Buffy knew that the girl would want her to look for it, that was the only reason why she’d come to the house in the first place. “Wanna come with?” She asked before turning back around and headed up the stairs. Willow shrugged before following behind her.




Willow took a set on the floor as Buffy dug around in her closet. “Are you sure it’s here?” She still hadn’t spotted the thing and, she’d been digging around in her closet long enough for her hair to dry.




“I thought so, but obviously it’s not here.” Willow rose to her feet getting ready to leave.




Buffy wanted to stop her, she really did. But that darn pride got in the way and prevented her. Willow was almost to the door when she paused and turned around.



“I just don’t get it.” The admission came out in a frustrated sigh.




“Get what?” Buffy asked surprised.




“All this. Us. You. Why did you have to go and make new friends? I mean, were me and Jesse that bad? What? I wasn’t cool enough? Fun enough?”




Walking over to the bed Buffy plopped down with a sigh. “No, Wills. I tried to explain it to you before. It’s not you, it was never you or Jess. It was me. It is me. I can’t explain it. Heck, I can’t even explain it to myself, so don’t even ask.”




“Well, I do… whan an explanation that is. I think I deserve one even if you can’t think of one.” Willow offered in reply.




Buffy just sat there picking at her finger nails. She didn’t know what to say. “Would… would it help if I said that I miss you?”




Willow tried to hold onto the frown she was currently wearing, but hearing Buffy’s words made it melt away and turn into a small smile.




“Yeah, it does help. And I miss you too.”




Buffy smile. “Really, ‘cause I never would have guessed with the whole talking behind my back and calling me a ho.” She said with a straight face.




Willow paled at the accusation. “Oh, goodness. Buffy, I’m sorry I was being Bad Willow who was scorn by her best friend. I didn’t mean any of it.”




Buffy got up from the bed and walked towards the redhead. “I know, but it still hurt. I guess I did deserve it though. I’ve been treating you and our friendship like dirt, and I shouldn’t be.”




“I think we’re both guilty. Instead of lashing out at you I should have been all support-o gal. Instead I let my jealousy and insecurities get the best of me. What’s a best friend for if they can’t offer support?”




Buffy lightly punched Willow on the arm. “They’re human. You’re human.”




“Are we friends again?” She asked hopefully.




“God, I hope so.” Buffy replied, before pulling Willow into a tight hug.




“I still hate the hair.” Willow whispered into the blonde’s ear.




Dawn stood outside Buffy’s door. She had listened to the conversation intently. A small smile played on her lips as she swung the fuzzy pink sweater in her hands. Her plan worked like a charm. Just because her sister wasn’t talking with Willow didn’t mean she couldn’t. She had gone over to the girl’s house early in the week, under the pretense that she wanted to see her new gold fish. While at the Rosenberg’s residence she “borrowed” Willow’s sweater, knowing that would bring her here looking for it.



Just wait until her Den Mother heard about this, she’d get that “helping hands” merit badge after all.



*****


“‘I’ll pick you up after school,’ she says. ‘Don’t worry about the rain,’ she says. Yeah, well, where the heck is she?” Buffy grumbled trudging down the street. She was soaking wet, her clothes were sticking to her making it hard for her to walk, and her hair hung limp in her face. Making it even harder too see. She was fed up with pushing the wet locks out of her eyes and, instead, opted to be temporarily blind as she pushed forward down her block.



“Just a few more feet, Buffy.” She spoke the words out loud, as if saying them would push her faster.




Soon her feet carried her up the steps of her house and finally under the shelter of her porch. Turning her head, Buffy took note that her mother’s jeep wasn’t in the drive way. She grumbled then reached into her purse for her keys. Her hand moved around searching in the confined space coming up empty handed.




“You gotta be kidding me?” She exclaimed. Buffy dumped the purse out on the porch looking for her keys, there were pencils, pens, a tampon, lip gloss, and some candy and gun wrappers, but no set of house keys. She could so scream at the injustice that was her life. Buffy furiously jammed the items back into her purse.




She stood and glared at the door. With a mental shrug she tried the doorknob – no luck – she was locked out. “Damn it!” She kicked at the door then down at her watch, it was currently 3 pm. Dawn wouldn’t be out of school until 3:15, and then there still was the school bus. Meaning Dawn wouldn’t arrive home until 4 pm. Buffy sneezed, she needed to get dry. She needed to get out of these clothes.



Removing her cell phone from her pocket Buffy punched in her mother’s number. She listened to it ring twice before going to voice mail. “Mom, it’s me. I’m locked out and wet. And I think I’m getting sick. You do remember that you were supposed to pick me up, right?” Buffy flipped the phone shut with a growl.



She entertained the thought of going over Willow’s house. But she still felt a bit awkward about their make-up, and really didn’t wan to intrude on Willow and her parents. The girl’s dad had just returned home from some science retreat for smart people, he’d been gone for two weeks. And she sure as hell wasn’t going over Jesse’s. That left only one option, she had to head back to school. Hopefully her mother would turn up there and rescue her before she drowned or froze to death.




Moving as fast as she could she made it back to school in record time. She rushed to the front doors but found them locked. Angry, she kicked those as well. Unfortunately they were a lot harder than her house door and Buffy yelled in pain. “Stupid door!” she mumbled before sitting down on the top step. At least there was an awning present, so she had some cover from the torrential down pour.



She pulled her cell phone out and tried her mom one last time.




*****


Spike exited the school from the doors on the East side of the building. They led directly to the student parking lot. He looked up at the sky, the rain falling on his already wet hair. He’d just come from swim team practice. William Pratt may not have been a football jock, but he enjoyed physical activity, and colleges liked to see that you at least participated in one sport during your High School career. So Spike tried out Freshmen year and had been on varsity ever since. Funny that, a smoker on varsity.



Chuckling to himself he walked over to his car, unlocked the door, and slipped inside. He pulled out of his parking spot and started for the front on the school, it was the entrance and exit to the parking areas in back. That’s when he noticed her, sitting there on the top step of the school looking like a soggy cat.




He pulled up as close as he could to the sidewalk and rolled down the window. “Need a ride?”




Buffy looked up, her head was resting in her hands. She blinked her eyes, getting the wet strands away to get a clear view of who was speaking to her. Her heart jumped into her throat when her gaze landed on the old Desoto. “YES! I would love a ride!” “No, I’m cool.” Buffy replied trying not to shiver too hard.




Spike rolled his eyes before getting out of the vehicle. “Look, Summers, you’re sitting here blue in the face and you expect me to believe that you don’t need a ride?”



Buffy tried to reply, but her teeth were chattering badly. She rubbed her hands up and down her arms for a second then rolled her eyes. “Fine. Yes, I need a ride.”




Spike smirked before turning to head back around with Buffy close behind him. They got into the car and he pulled off, exited the school and headed down the street in silence. Spike leaned over and turned on the heat. Buffy gave a whimper of delight before thrusting her hands in front of the vent.



“Mmm, warm. I love warm,” she mumbled rubbing her hands together.




He smiled to himself as he watched her. “Where to?”




“Home. My mom was supposed to pick me up but I think she forgot.”




The blond nodded and headed off in the direction of Rivello Drive. The silence accompanied them the rest of the ride. Buffy didn’t feel like small talk, she was wet and, cold and, a little pissed. But she wasn’t sure if she was angry at her mom or at Spike.




“And here we are.” Spike announced. Buffy looked out the window at the house. Her mother still wasn’t home, and thirty minutes remained before Dawn arrived.




Buffy slumped back against the set in despair. She was so going to catch a cold. “I know this sounds stupid, but, I’m locked out and no one is home to let me in.”




“That so? Well, I just can’t leave you sitting on your porch all wet and lonesome.”




Buffy smiled. “So you’re going to do what? Break into my house for me?”




“No. And here I was trying to be all gentlemen like and you accuse me of being a juvenile delinquent.”




Buffy’s mouth opened and closed a few times. She could be such an idiot at times. “Way to go, Buffy. First you insult his name by calling him a porn star and now he thinks that you think he belongs in Juvie.”




Spike broke out in a smile. “I was just messing with you, Summers. Stop over analyzing everything.”




Buffy turned to argue the point, she didn’t over analyze everything. It was just something that she did. It was her thing. But before she could get a word out the car pulled off heading down the street.



*****


How did it come to this? She was standing in his room holding on of his shirts. “Yup, my dream come true. Well, not like this with me being a human mop causing a huge puddle to form on his floor, but you get my point. I’m here in his house, in his room. I have arrived at the Promise Land and I’m ready to bolt.”




“… you do that, yeah?” He was looking at her expectantly.





Her confusion must have been written all over her face. “I said you go change then bring me your things. I’ll put ‘em in the dryer.”




“Oh, okay. I can do that.” She turned around in a circle. “Umm, where’s…”




Spike pointed to the slightly ajar door in his room. “Bathroom’s right through there.”




With a small smile Buffy turned and headed to the bathroom. She slowly slipped out of her sneakers and socks, leaving them on the floor. She glanced around the small bathroom. It would be so cool if she had her own bathroom, free from sharing it with Dawn. Buffy found herself wondering if Spike had any siblings. As much as she obsessed over him, she hardly knew anything about him. And that’s when it hit truly her. She was standing in Spike’s bathroom about to get undressed. This really wasn’t a dream, this was real life. It wasn’t as if they were about to do anything, but this was a huge. No. It was a monumental step for her. Never had she been alone, in a house, with a boy. And not to mention about to get undressed. Buffy swallowed nervously. “Just wait until Faith hears about this!”




“You okay in there?” snapped her out of her internal monologue. Buffy’s eyes flashed to the door, making sure that it was still closed.




“Yeah, I’m fine. I’ll be right out.” She waited to hear him walk away before stripping down to only her bra and panties. Buffy decided to leave them on for two reasons. One, they really weren’t that wet. And, two, she so wasn’t going to let Spike see her unmentionables.




Scooping the pile of clothes from off the floor Buffy remembered that she was almost naked. A blush stole over her face as she reached for the black t-shirt Spike had given her to wear. See, this was a perfect example for why her dad should have gotten her a camera phone. Taking a picture of her wearing Spike’s t-shirt was for prosperity.




She emerged from the bathroom eyes cast down, her wet clothing in her arms, and her hair pulled back into a haphazard pony tail. She looked so innocent yet alluring at the same time. There was just something about a girl wearing a man’s shirt that made them all sexy like. Spike closed his eyes briefly. He could do this. It wasn’t as if she’d come here with him to do anything, other than get warm and dry. And to wait until her mother came home so that she could get into her own house. Plus, it wasn’t as if he liked her or anything. They had shared a kiss. It wasn’t anything special. He had done it out of curiosity. And he had finally purged his system of her. So having Buffy here, in his room, half dressed was something to be unconcerned about.




*****



“You should let me show you.”




Buffy arched her brow at him. “Surf? I don’t think so. And what does a boy from England know about surfing anyway?”




Spike gave her is trademark smirk. “There are a lot of things this boy knows.” He wiggled his eyebrows at her playfully. “and surfing’s one of them.”



They had spent twenty of the thirty minutes it took for her clothes to dry sitting in the kitchen talking. It was nice and Buffy really enjoyed it. Getting to know Spike proved to be an eye opening experience, he was no longer this boy shrouded in mystery, and she liked what she uncovered. Too bad she couldn’t act on her feelings.



“I don’t know. Can I think about it?” she asked, getting up from her chair to place her glass in the sink.




“Take all the time you need,” Spike responded from behind her. He reached around her to place his own glass in the sink.




He was so close, right there. If she turned around they would only be inches apart. Buffy tried to control her breathing from speeding up, but he was just so close. Her mind started racing a mile a minute.



Should she turn around? Wouldn’t that be too forward? What if he didn’t want her to turn around? God, she wished that Faith was here, she’d tell her what to do. The decision was taken out of her hands when Spike turned her around slowly. The two stood there gazing at each other. His eyes seemed to be searching hers, looking for something. Buffy wondered what it was, but what she wanted more was for him to kiss her. She wanted to feel him on her lips again - taste the unique flavor that was Spike.




The buzzer to the dry sounded and Spike turned to look at the machine then back to Buffy. “You’re clothes are done.” He was still gazing at her with that intent stare.




She nodded numbly. “Yeah, I heard. I should go get changed.” She moved around him and over to the dryer to get her clothes.




Spike stood there watching her every move, as if he was debating something within himself. Shyly she headed for the bathroom to change.




“Buffy,” he whispered, as if she were a startled animal and speaking louder would scare her away.



She turned around to find him standing right there. Talk about stealth mode, he was all stealthy standing behind her. Before she could make a snarky comment about him sneaking up on her, he slipped his arm around her waist pulling her flush against him. Buffy closed her eyes knowing what was coming next. Their lips connected causing a slight shiver to run down her spine. She opened her mouth allowing him inside. She melted into him, deepening the kiss. They finally broke apart when breathing once again became necessary.




“I’ve been waiting to do that for a while now.” Spike admitted, with a grin.




Buffy smiled back. “I’m glad you did,” she managed to say before the blush Spike found so adorable colored her cheeks. “I, I better go get changed.”




Spike watched as Buffy disappeared into the downstairs bathroom.



*****



Dawn ran to the window and peeked out. “Buffy’s home!” She yelled before going back to watch Hannah Montana.




Joyce hurried to the door and opened it in time to see her daughter close the car door. She also noted the smile on her daughter’s face.




Buffy hurried up the walkway, up the steps, and onto the porch. She gave one final look over her shoulder and watched as Spike pulled off then she went inside.




Joyce followed her in. “Who was that? And where have you been?”




“No one. And you were supposed to pick me up. So I think the question is; where were you?”




“Don’t you dare take that tone of voice with me young lady!”




Buffy rolled her eyes. “Mom, don’t.”




“Don’t what, Buffy? Last time I checked I was the parent in this relationship, not you. And when I ask you something I expect an answer.” Joyce exclaimed.




Buffy only glared at her momentarily before turning and running up the steps. Joyce followed suite, chasing the teen into her bedroom.




“Don’t you walk away from me.” She said coming inside.




“I didn’t walk, I ran. Now get out!” Buffy shouted.




“Just what in the hell is wrong with you?”




“I waited for you in the rain. I got wet, and cold, and I was locked out of the house. I called you like a hundred times and you couldn’t even answer your phone once to talk with me.”




“It wasn’t my fault. Your sister had an accident at school and I had to rush to the hospital. She fell and broke her arm, and I had to turn off my phone. So, no, I couldn’t take your calls. I’m sorry I didn’t call and tell you that, but for God’s sake, Buffy, you’re a young adult. How did you forget your keys?”




“I switched purses and left them on the floor. But that’s beside the point. You could have told me. Instead you leave me waiting for you.”




“And you what, jump in a car with a boy?”




Buffy’s eyes widened in shock. “I though you believed me!”




“I want to believe you, Buffy. But with the way you’ve been acting and now I see you getting out of some strange boy’s car. What am I supposed to believe?”




“That wasn’t some strange boy! That was Spike. And, no, we didn’t have sex. I was wet like I said, and he took me to his house to dry my clothes. Or would you rather I come down with pneumonia to keep my virtue in tacked?”




Joyce sighed. “I’m sorry, honey. I… I don’t know what got into me.”



“It’s fine, mom. Can I just be alone now?” Buffy just wanted her gone. She wanted to be alone.




Joyce nodded before leaving Buffy alone.



*****


A/N: *ducks head* What did you think? Still want more? Let me know!