Author's Chapter Notes:
, I got more reviews, lol. Thanks, I really do appreciate them. They let me know what you think and that you’re truly enjoying the fic. Title taken from Gun n Roses album GnR Lies, One in a Million (song). Great album, well all their albums are great!
Chapter Seven: One in a Million




“I am completely and totally in love.” Buffy exclaimed. “It was way better than the first kiss, it was longer.” Faith watched the blissful look wash over her friend’s face.




Buffy opened her eyes and moved away from the wall. “It’s not the same in here without Xander. Can’t he come back just for a visit?”




Faith snorted. “Nah. What’s done is done. He’s a big boy now.” She said before turning away with a pout.




Noticing the look of discontent Buffy hurried to admen her statement. “It’s not as if I don’t enjoy your company! Quality time with Faith is always of the good. We so don’t need Xander to make bathroom time entertaining.”




The brunette rolled her eyes then snickered. “Please, B. I’m not upset ‘cause you miss Xander. I miss him too. I’m just upset that I had no hand in helping you with the Spike smooches.” Faith smiled. “Although, it pleases me too no end knowing that you enjoy my company.”




Buffy grinned. “You’re missing the whole point! If it weren’t for you locking me in that room with him, well, he never would have noticed me. Hence no Spike kisses. So, see? You’re totally responsible.”




Faith thought about it for a moment. “I did, didn’t I? Locking you in that room was brilliant, if I do say so myself.”




“Don’t let your ego get too inflated there, grily.” Buffy ran her fingers through her hair as she looked in the mirror. “The only draw back now is the fact that my mom thinks I’m having sex. And now that’s she’s actually seen Spike, I’m thinking I will never be allowed to go out on a date with him. If he ever asks me out on one that is.”




“Don’t stress it. Your mom will get over it. I mean, seriously, you’re going to start having sex someday. She’s bound to wake up and smell the coffee. And in truth, I don’t see how anyone can come to the conclusion that you’re having sex. You’re way to up tight to be getting laid.”





Buffy mocked laughed before rolling her eyes. “Ha, ha! Well, it’s been fun, but there are classes waiting. And unlike some people I know, I do attended mine.”




Faith waved at the blonde’s retreating back before turning to her reflection. She gave herself a once over before washing her hands.




The bathroom door opened admitting Willow. Her eyes landed on Faith and they narrowed as she slowly made her way towards her.




Faith turned around, looking her up and down before turning back to the mirror.




“Did she tell you?” Willow asked, a smirk on her lips. Which Faith noted looked quit at home on the girl’s face.



Faith didn’t reply, she continued to apply her make-up. Once finished she turned back to the shorter girl. “Who told me what?” But she knew exactly who the redhead was referring to.




Willow sighed. “Buffy. We made up. So, since we’re friends again she won’t be needing someone like you hanging around.”




“Oh, really?” Faith glared. “No body speaks for Buffy. Not me. Not Xander and, sure as hell not you! If she doesn’t want to be my friend then she’ll tell me herself.” Faith paused, gazing at Willow with disgust. “Not some overly judgmental little bitch like you!”




Willow glared daggers at Faith. “I’d rather be a bitch than a whore!”




“Yeah, well proud of it!” Faith shouted after Willow as she exited the bathroom.




*****



“I don’t know, Hank. I’m at my end. No matter what I say, what I do, we still fight. And now she’s refusing to speak with me. It’s like I have to walk on eggshells around her.”



Hank looked at the phone, wishing that he could be there for his wife. He was currently out of town on business.



“Could you be blowing this out of proportion?” Things can’t possibly be as bad a you say.”




Joyce sighed. “No. I wish I were, but I’m not. Buffy hates me and I don’t know why.”




“I feel your pain, honey.” He offered in condolence.




Joyce pursed her lips. “No, you really don’t. How can you say you know or even understand what I’m felling, what I’m going through? Our daughter. The child I carried, gave birth to, hates me!” She exclaimed.




“Buffy doesn’t hate you, Joyce. You said it yourself. She’s going through puberty, coming into her own. And I’m pretty sure if you took a moment and reflected on your adolescence you’d see that you weren’t a walk in the park with your mother either.”




Joyce grinned; she could hear the smile in her husband’s voice. “You’re right. I’m just over reacting. Things have to go back to normal…. someday.”




*****



He knew something was up and, Angel didn’t like it when he was left out of the loop. All day long Spike had been acting not like his normal self, and every time Angel enquired he would blow him off saying that it was nothing. That he was fine. Angel’s eyes narrowed, Spike wasn’t fine!



He watched as two cheerleaders, Harmony and Kendra, threw themselves all over Spike; he hardly turned an eye their way. He was actually carrying on as if they didn’t exist.




The brunette squinted his eyes harder, this time catching the blond’s gaze. He followed his line of sight and, to his surprise, they landed on that pretty little blonde from a party like a week or two ago.



A smirk spread across his face. She was what was bothering his friend, making him act beside himself. Angel pursed his lips. He just hoped that Spike would get her out of his system soon. He didn’t like seeing him like this… occupied over some girl. They were only there for a quick fuck then you moved on to green pastures.



*****


It took forever for lunchtime to roll around. But once it had Buffy found that she had no appetite, her stomach was all twisted up in knots, but for good reason. One, Spike was eating his lunch directly in front of her. He was sitting only three tables away from her. And, two, there were some skanky hos hanging all over him. And to up their levels of skankness they were shoving their boobs in face and basically molesting him on the spot. Okay, they weren’t actually molesting him, but it was close. Nasty bitches!




Buffy frowned; how could she ever compete with that?




“Why so glum my little blonde one?” Xander questioned before biting into his hamburger.




Buffy pointed in the general direction of the Spike groupies. “How can I compete with them? She sighed. “I just can’t! That’s what!” She slouched back into her chair then glanced down at her breast. “If only they’d grow some more.”



Faith snorted. “Seriously, don’t even go there. One, you’re not a hoochie and, it’s obvious that’s what attracted Spike to you. You’re something he’s not used to. And, two, Harmony and Kendra are not the brightest in the bunch. They’ll make nice trophy wives someday.”



“Yeah, well thanks!” Buffy mumbled dryly. “So, what happens once my “newness” wears off?”



Faith sighed, before tossing down her sandwich. “Buffy, don’t think that way. You have to look at the broader picture here, and trust me when I say this. Spike is totally into you. You have brains, you have beauty, and, most importantly, bouncy, shiny shampoo commercial hair. You’re going to have his attention for a very long time. Plus, you are so take-home-to-mom material. You’re the type of girl a guy wants to marry and have babies with.”




Buffy groaned out load before dropping her head onto the formica lunch table. Xander turned to her and patted her back sympathetically.



*****


“Where is it?” she mumbled digging around in her locker. Buffy quickly unzipped her backpack and removed her English book, opening it and began to frantically skim through its pages. Breathing a sigh of relief, Buffy had never been so happy to find lost homework. She went to stuff it back in her book when she looked at the name and smiled. The Fates were really looking out for her.




Buffy hurriedly gathered up her things, slammed her locker door, then took off down the hall.



*****


She entered the pool area, her eyes scanning the floor until they found what they were searching for. Buffy froze in place quickly using her hand to close her mouth.



When she had rushed off to give Spike back his English paper she had no idea that he’d be at swim practice already. So when coach Brach told her to head on down to the pool she thought nothing of it. Well, maybe she should have.



“Okay, you can so this, Buffy. It’s not like you’ve never seen a half naked guy before. Hello, cable! There are naked guys there all the time.”
But the small pep talk didn’t stop the blush that spread over he cheeks. Her eyes took all of him in. Even if she wanted to stop starring Buffy couldn’t. It was as if she had been lost in the desert, parched and, finally found an oasis. Spike being that patch of salvation in all that dryness, and she drank him down.




“You know how you find something when you’re little? Like a rock, or a symmetrical shaped potato chip, and you think that it’s perfect in every way. It is in fact the most perfect thing you have ever laid your eyes upon.”



“Well, gazing at Spike I’ve come to the conclusion that everything I have ever thought to be perfect was, in fact, flawed. William –Spike – Partt is indeed the most perfect creature to ever walk God’s green earth. The ultimate in perfection. If the Roman Goddess Venus and the statue David were to have a child, Spike would be the end result.”





Buffy sighed, this was like a dream come true. She watched as he dove into the water. Watching him swim was an art form; he was so graceful cutting through the water. She watched from the sidelines as he did a few more warm-up strokes.




*****



He was always the first into the water; he liked the quite before the other boys joined him. He enjoyed the feel of the calm water as he entered it, encasing him in its chill. As he swam Spike became one with his thoughts. Nothing bothered him here, and he was able to let go. Enjoying the freedom that swimming offered him. It was also the reason why he took up surfing. The freedom. The peace. The solitude.




So when he noticed that he wasn’t alone he took a quick peek to see who was watching him before he slipped under the water. He was pleasantly surprised to find Buffy Summers standing there gracing him with her company.




Finishing his last warm-up lap he headed for the ladder on the side of the pool and got out. He grabbed his towel and started towards her.





“Oh, God, he’s coming this way!” her brain shouted. Buffy wanted to run, really, she did. But her feet were planted to the floor. It was as if they had gone and sprouted roots that anchored her to the floor, and worse yet, her eyes wouldn’t stop ogling Spike’s oh so sexy bod. He was just so, manly. His arms, his abs, even his feet were perfect. Buffy decided that his feet were even sexy. Her eyes wandered back up his body, trying to avoid the barely there swimming briefs, and failing miserably. It wasn’t her fault, it was right there, in her face. It was just asking to be looked at.




Spike came to a halt in front of her, following the trail of her gaze. With a knowing grin he curled his tongue behind his teeth and leered at her. “See anything you like, Summers?”




That snapped Buffy back to attention and her blush deepened. “I’ve been caught being a perv!” “Yes… no. I mean, no! I’m here ‘cause, ummm, I have something, for you.” Buffy stammered.




Spike let his eyes roam over her for a moment. “I’m sure you do, luv. Take a set and we’ll talk after practice. I can give you a ride.” With a final smirk he headed back to the pool.




The rest of the swim team had emerged from the locker room and for a moment Buffy was taken back by Jesse’s presence. She had forgotten that he was on the team as well. Their eyes met, he sent her a small smile. She rolled her eyes then walked over to the benches taking a set.




*****



She stood by the gym doors waiting for Spike. Who would have thought sitting in a stuffy pool area for an hour watching scantly clad boys swim could be entertaining. Buffy giggled to herself, Faith would have known. Matter of fact, she was surprised that the girl wasn’t there front and center ogling on the wet bodies. She’d have to call her later and question her on the matter.




“Buffy?”



The teen turned towards the voice and her face falling. “What do you want?” She asked defensively.




Jesse ran a hand through his wet hair. “I just want to talk with you.”




“Hello, what part of never speak to me again didn’t you understand?”



“Buffy, I know what I did was wrong, and bad, and rude. But I’m sorry, you have to believe me. I never wanted to hurt you.” He pleaded with her.




“Yeah, well, you did. And I’m still hurting, and really not in the mood to be all forgiving. I would never have done that to you, Jesse. I… I thought we were better than that. Was I wrong?”




“No, you’re not wrong.”




“Then why? Why would you do that? Of all the kids in the school it was you that hurt me.”




Jesse took a deep breath. Now was his moment, he could tell her everything. Lay it all out there for her to see. He opened his mouth.




“Spike!” Buffy shouted from the doorway waving her hand in the air. The blond walked towards her his gym bag under his arm.




“I’d like to say it’s been fun, but it wasn’t. Gotta go.” She mumbled before heading off to meet Spike.



Jesse’s eyes narrowed. He really disliked that boy.



*****


They sat parked in front of Buffy’s house as she dug around in her purse. “Ah, ha! Got them this time.”




Spike couldn’t help it, he had to laugh. The triumphant look Buffy was giving him was priceless; she had remembered her keys this time.




“So what was so important that it couldn’t wait until tomorrow, which you had to intrude on my swim time to come and give me?”




Buffy slapped his arm playfully. “Please, you so enjoyed me watching you swim.” She paused to retrieve the paper from her backpack. “I accidentally picked up your paper in class today. And since we had homework I figured you’d want it back.”




Spike took the paper, glanced at it, then tossed it in the back. “Thanks. Need to be more careful. Watch where you’re going.”




She rolled her eyes. “I was until you jumped in my way making me drop all my papers.” He smirked at her.




“There’s this movie playing and I was wondering if you’d fancy going with me?”



Buffy’s mouth opened slightly but nothing came out. Was he asking her out? No, it couldn’t be. Could it? She replayed his question over in her head. He had. He had just asked her out on a date! She was still sitting there not saying anything and she could see the uncomfortableness starting to settle over his face.




“Umm, wow! Yes, yes, I’d love to go with you.”




“Good. Was starting to think you weren’t going to answer me, or at least shoot me down.”




Buffy smiled. “My only answer would be yes. I, I don’t think I could turn you down.” She began to blush.




Spike leaned over coming face to face with her. “Thanks for the paper.” He gestured to the back set.




“You’re very welcome.” Buffy replied before he kissed her.




With a final goodbye Buffy slipped out of the car and into her house.



*****

A/N: I hope you guys are still with me. Sorry about the wait but I got caught up with the kid’s school and my oldest got the flu. So I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Let me know, please review!