As Buffy headed to the police station, she took a short cut through the alleyways. When she was about to turn the corner to enter the police station, Spike stepped out of the shadows and said, “What do you think you’re doing?”

Stopping, she turned around facing Spike. “How did you know I’d be here?”

“Dawn.”

“I shouldn’t even have told her.”

“The bit cares for you.” “She was worried.”

“I can’t let this go Spike.” “I need to tell what happened.” She began walking away from him.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

“I’m doing the right thing…for a change!”

Buffy was just about to the door when Spike lunged for her, dragging her back into the alley.

“Sorry, love, can’t let you do that!”

“I have to tell them what I’ve done.”

“Nothing happened.”

“How can you be so caviler about this, Spike.”“I killed a woman.”

“Demons in the woods.” “Time all wonky.” “They won’t believe you!”

“Then I’ll prove it.”

“How?” “Nothing to prove.”

“What?” Buffy asked, incredulously.

“What the hell did you do Spike?”

“Took care of it.”

“What did you do?” She asked again.

“What I had to.” “I took care of it.” "Doesn’t matter now.” “No one will find her.”

An officer was walking by and his walky talky went off, “Someone reported a dead body. Over.” “Where’d they find her?” He asked into the walky talky. “Down by river. She washed ashore not far from the cemetery. Over.”

Two cops rushed out of the police station, geting into the cruisers and drove away. Spike and Buffy overheard the cop talking on his walk talker and neither was pleased at the news.

“Great Spike!” “Got anymore bright ideas?”Buffy said in frustration.

“Shit!” “SHIT!”

A few moments went by and the two stood insilence. Spike was the first to break the tension that had arisen between them.

”There’s no way to connect you to this.”

“It doesn’t matter.” “I’m still turning myself in.”

“It wasn’t your fault.”

“I killed her!”

“It happened.” “It was an accident.”

“Don’t you get it, I killed her.”

Once again, Buffy started to leave the alley,but Spike prevented her from leaving. “You’re not going in there!”

“Watch me!” She wrenched her arm away from him.

“I can’t!” “I love you!”

“No you don’t!” Buffy said upset, but it was more out of spit to get back at him from stopping her.

“You think I haven’t tried?” “I’ve tried.”“Believe me, I tried.” “It’s not something that I can switch off like a bloody light switch.” “I can’t keep ignoring my feelings like you can, Buffy!”

Frustrated, Buffy hauled off and punched Spike in the face. He went flying back and landed in heap. “Try a little harder, next time, Spike.”

Those words hurt her more than she realized. She didn’t understand why she tried so hard pushing him away. She thought she had the reasons, but every time she tried convincing herself, it just didn’t work. Buffy turned her back on him and she started to walk away once again, but suddenly behind her there was Spike all vamped out. He threw her to the ground in his attempt to make her stay.

“You’re not throwing your life away.” “I won’t let you!”

“It’s my choice Spike.” “You can’t change my mind.”

“Why are you doing this?”

“Because, I have to.” She paused a moment and then she began to cry. “A girl is dead because of me.”

Bloody hell, she’s crying. Does she have any idea what the does to me?

“And how many people are live because of you?” “How many have you saved?” “One dead girl doesn’t tip the scale.”

“Do you have any idea what this is doing to me?” “This isn’t just a dead body like it is to you.” “She was a person.” “She had a family.” “A future.” “I took that away from her.”

Sighing, Spike said, “Buffy.”

Not wanting to listen to him, she attacked him, punching and kicking as hard as her slayer strength would allow to. He blocked a few punches from her, but ultimately, Spike decided not to fight back.

“You can’t understand why this is killing me,can you?” She said through tears.

“Why don’t you explain it to me.”

Punch

“Come on, that’s it, put it all on me.” “Put it all on me.”

Kick

“That’s my girl.”

“I’M NOT YOUR GIRL!”

Buffy kicked him so hard, he landed on his ass. She then jumped on him and begin to wail on him over and over. “You don’t…have a soul!”

Punch

“There’s no good or clean thing about you.”

Punch

“You’re dead inside.”

Punch

“You can’t feel anything real.”

Punch

“I could never be your…girl!”

Punch

She had no idea why she was beating him like this and it scared her, but she couldn’t stop. She kept hitting him and hitting him. Spike returned to his human visage. He was battered and bruised to the point where he couldn’t even open up his right eye.

Blinking a few times, she finally stopped, horrified with what she’s done.

“You always hurt the ones…you love.” He slurred.

Buffy rose to her feet, dismayed. Oh my god. Oh my god. How could I do this to him. He’s right. Oh my god! I did hurt the one I love.

“Buffy?” Spike called out to her.

Ignoring her inner turmoil, she left Spike and the alley, determined to turn herself in. To do what was right, she reason with herself.

In attempt to stop her, he tried reaching out to her, but he was too badly hurt and laid there in pain.

TBC