Author's Chapter Notes:
need i even say it? probably because otherwise there could be legal issues...i own nothing...i merely play with the characters and make them do what i want them to
Buffy and Spike felt a little out of place at the head table. They also looked out of place. Neither of them were wearing robes, instead opting for their normal clothes. They were also the youngest of the teachers around them. Well, the youngest looking, for Spike was actually the oldest.

Buffy watched with delight as students were sorted into different school houses by a hat being placed upon their head which would eventually scream out their destination. The hat had also sung a song. When the sorting was over, Dumbledore stood and all of the students quieted their chattering.

“While there is a lot to say, time only allows for me to say one: Enjoy!” He threw up his hands with a smile on his face. Buffy and Spike watched as food and drink appeared on tables all around the Great Hall. While Spike didn’t necessarily have to eat, he did enjoy tucking in every now and then. He even spied some hot wings. And Buffy, though she was small, was also known for being able to pack it away.

After gorging themselves on food and blood for Spike, Buffy felt very sleepy. She was lazily looking around the hall at the different students, trying to figure out which one was Harry Potter. She remembered Dumbledore saying that he had black hair and was rather tall, but with everyone wearing black and being seated, that wasn’t much to go on.

Soon the plates had cleared themselves, something Buffy wished that she had back home, and Dumbledore rose to speak once more. “I have a few start of term notices for all of you. First of all we have two new additions to our teaching staff this year. They have both graciously agreed to take on the role of Defense Against the Dark Arts Professors.” There was a smattering of applause. Buffy waved her hand and smiled, but Spike merely nodded and looked threatening.

“Let it also be known to first years, and let me remind the rest of you, that the Forbidden Forest is out of bounds to all students. We have come to a time in our lives where there is much uncertainty and chaos. We must stick together to conquer it once and for all. Now, head on up to bed so you can be well rested for your first day’s lessons.”

In a great flurry of motion a mass of black rose together and tried to squeeze out of the Great Hall’s doors all at once. Buffy watched all of this with a placid smile on her face. She had never thought of being a teacher before. She had never really thought of her future that much anymore outside of being the Slayer and eventually dying. But a teacher? Much less a teacher of Magic? This would be interesting. Buffy then smirked as a new thought entered her head. She was going to be able to hand out detention. Revenge at last!

Spike looked at Buffy. She had a big grin on her face and it warmed him inside. It made him feel a bit like a ponce, but it warmed him. He knew that things had changed between them. He knew that there was goodness between them now, and he was thankful for that. Because he had made a promise to a lady, and he would protect her and the Bit until the end of the world. They walked together towards their sleeping quarters, which were across the hall from one another.

“Goodnight, Spike.” Buffy hugged him quickly, almost as if she were afraid that he wouldn’t let her.

“Night, Princess.” Spike kissed Buffy’s cheek before turning and entering his own room.


Their first class was the class that would contain the boy that was their main mission. It was comprised of Gryffindor and Slytherin sixth years. Dumbledore had explained the dynamics of the different school houses, and had informed them that these particular two made no show of getting along.

Buffy knew that Spike wouldn’t be putting up with any crap, and neither would she for that matter. She watched as students filed into the classroom and took seats. Most arrived in groups of three or four, but there were a couple of students who arrived alone. One boy with hair the same hue as Spike’s arrived with a veritable entourage complete with bodyguards. Buffy scoffed at this, openly.

The bell sounded and Buffy looked to Spike to begin. “As you were told last night at the feat, we are your new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professors.” Spike paused. “My name is Spike. You will call me Spike. There will be no calling me Professor Spike, because that sounds wrong.” Spike eyed Buffy when he said this. Buffy knew that she would be allowed to call him Professor Spike in the right kind of outfit.

“That goes double for me. While Professor Summers doesn’t sound quite as strange, I may not respond to you, as I will be looking for someone who shares my last name. Buffy is just fine.” She smirked. “But if you quake in the face of complete informality, you can address me as Miss Buffy.”

“So there you have it- Miss Buffy, and Spike. Now that that’s over with, we can get down to business.”

“Shouldn’t we do some sort of roll call?” Buffy asked. Spike shrugged and Buffy began looking for a paper that she knew she had somewhere. After a good minute of shuffling through miscellaneous papers she found it with an “Aha!” Her cheeks turned, in Spike’s opinion, a lovely shade of pink before she cleared her throat and began calling out names. “Harry Potter.” When she called out his name Spike’s head snapped to attention. He really hadn’t been paying the names any mind because he didn’t really care about knowing who was who. But he knew that Harry was important.

Buffy and Spike both looked at the boy who raised his hand. He had black hair and glasses that hid green eyes. He was sitting in between a red headed boy and a girl with very curly and bushy brown hair. After a minute, Buffy continued with the other names on the roll call.

“Now that the boring stuff is out of the way, on to the teaching.” Buffy frowned after saying this. “Which could be seen as even more boring stuff.” Spike chuckled, along with some of the students.

“What I think Miss Buffy means, is that we are a different kind of teacher. There won’t be any wand waving in this class and whispering funny sounding latin words. Cause what happens when you don’t have your wand? What happens when you’ve been disarmed and are backed into the corner? What happens, when you have nothing left to depend on but yourself?” Spike’s voice had lowered to a deadly serious tone, and the class hung on his every word.

“That’s right.” Buffy interjected. “When you are left without your wands, you might think that the fight is over. But never discount the power that you have inside of you.” Buffy was poised to go on, but stopped when she heard snickering. “Spike, I think we have our first volunteer.” Spike winked at her.

“You!” He barked, pointing his finger at the snickering platinum blonde.

“Me, sir?” He asked.

“Don’t Sir me. Get up here, now.” The boy visibly paled and made his way to the front of the classroom. “This year, Miss Buffy and I are going to teach you lot resourcefulness, hand to hand combat, and other useful things that’ll help get you out of a bind.” Spike proceeded to pick the boy up by the front of his robes. “We’re also going to teach you,” he set the boy on the ground and moved aside for Buffy to have her turn. Every mouth in the class hung open when Buffy repeated the same action as Spike.

“That not everything is as it seems upon first glance.” She finished his sentence for him. She set the boy down. “Now,”

“Draco. Draco Malfoy.”

“Now, Draco, I want you to think twice before you snicker in my classroom again.” He nodded his head and returned to his seat.

Spike and Buffy spent the rest of the class telling them their class schedule. Every other class would be lecture, and the others would be training. They were to arrive dressed in comfortable clothes, ready to work. They would be allowed to leave class ten minutes early on these days so that they would be able to change for the rest of their classes.