Author's Chapter Notes:
I own nothing...because JK and Joss got there first. Stupid parents...all with the not having me until '87
“That was definitely interesting.” Hermione commented as she walked with Harry and Ron to their next class.

“Interesting! That was fantastic!” Ron punched a fist into the air. “Malfoy being humiliated on the very first day back has got to be a sign of good things to come.” Harry nodded his agreement.

“I can’t believe how strong Miss Summers is.” said Harry. “It barely looked like any effort at all when she lifted him off the ground.”

“That was rather remarkable.” Hermione replied with a smile. “And the look on his face was absolutely priceless, but.” Ron groaned.

“But what?”

“I’ve never read about there being two Professors for a subject before, let alone two who are so informal. They don’t even wear robes!”

“So Dumbledore does something unconventional and you’re, what, surprised by this?” Ron asked. “I think it makes sense that since they’ll be teaching us hand to hand fighting methods that there would be two of them.” Harry nodded his agreement.

“That is a good point.” Hermione conceded. “Maybe I’m just over thinking things.”

“You? Over think things? Never!” Harry laughed at Ron’s look of bewildered disbelief. Hermione just blushed and grumbled under her breath.

“Snape mustn’t be too happy about losing the position again though.” Harry said. “And to think, being beaten out of it by two Professors and not just one.” Ron groaned.

“He is going to be extra unbearable this year.”

Later, the trio found out just how right they were about Snape’s unhappiness. He was even more vile than usual and had Neville to tears in less than five minutes. After the lesson, Hermione assured Neville that she would give him extra help, that all he really needed to do was to stop being so nervous and focus.

“I try.” He said to her. “It’s just really hard to not be nervous when you have a great overgrown vampire bat breathing down your neck the whole time!” Harry, Hermione, and Ron laughed.

“There’s a vampire? Where?” The foursome turned to see Buffy and Spike looking interested.

“No vampire. Just Professor Snape in his great Vampire Bat like presence.” Harry answered. Spike smirked.

“Git does look like a great overgrown bat.” Harry and Ron looked overjoyed to hear Spike say this. “Slimy too. Like some vile reptile.” He added.

“It’s more grease than slime.” Neville said under his breath. Spike laughed out loud, and Buffy did too.

“He seriously is in need of a shower. And has he never heard of deep conditioner. Those locks are in some serious need.” Hermione and Buffy laughed the most at this. The group began to walk down to dinner together.
“So, how did you come to teach here?” Hermione inquired.

“Met Dumbledore and he sort of just offered it to us. Well, not just, he got to know us for a few days first.” Buffy explained.

“How long have you known Dumbledore?”

“A couple of weeks now, right Spike?”

“Sounds right, Pet.”

“Only a couple of weeks?” Hermione asked. “But of course you knew of him before. He is a great wizard after all.” The students were astounded when Buffy and Spike replied in the negative.

“Never heard o’ the bloke before. But he seems like a good fellow.” Spike surmised. “And the pay here is good. ‘ll keep me in blood and smokes for a long time.”

“Blood?” Ron asked in a slightly shaky voice. Buffy’s eyes widened for a split second and she rushed to cover Spike’s slip.

“Spike has been in America too long. Blood is what we call food. Really good food.”

“Oh. Okay.” Hermione replied, though she was thoroughly unconvinced.

“So what’s the deal with that Draco kid, seems like a real brat?” Buffy hurried to try and change the subject. She knew that her lie hadn’t been a very good one.

Harry, Ron, and even Neville rushed to tell Buffy and Spike about how awful and arrogant and stuck up the Malfoy boy was. The only one who hadn’t forgotten Spike’s mention of blood by the time they reached the Great Hall was Hermione.



“Blood?” Spike looked at Buffy with a quirked brow. “You mentioned blood to them!” She scolded him in a fierce whisper, looking around the deserted hallway for the umpteenth time.

“And you gracefully covered my mistake.” Spike responded. Buffy smiled.

“Stop trying to butter me up.”

“Why? Is it working?” Buffy blushed.

“Maybe a little.” Spike smirked. He knew that something had changed between them. She had been so much more open around him. He loved seeing this side of her out and in full force. This was the side that he used to see when he spied on her when he was looking for weaknesses. The side that he saw that very first night, while she was dancing with her friends.

“What?” She asked, interrupting his thoughts.

“Nothing.”

“Not nothing. You’ve got something face.”

“I like this. How we are now.” He confessed. Buffy slipped her hand into his.

“Me too.” She replied honestly.


Over the next few weeks Buffy and Spike settled into an easy routine. They taught, they patrolled at night, though there was really nothing to fight, and they hung out with each other. They tried to figure out ways to see Harry and his friends on their own, because they were supposed to be giving them special attention. But both Buffy and Spike thought it would seem weird if they approached the teenagers out of the blue.

In the beginning of October, both thought the time was right to begin their lessons on Vampires. Buffy began the lesson by asking the students to take out their books and to turn to the chapter on vampires. On the very first page of the chapter was an illustration of a vampire. Or, what was supposed to be a vampire. Buffy took the copy from Harry’s desk. “This is supposed to be an illustration of a Vampire.” Buffy ripped the page out of the book and crumpled it. “But that is not what a vampire looks like.”

“The truth is,” Spike took the reigns. “That a vampire can look just like you, or even me.” Buffy smiled when Spike said it. “They only look all fangy and bumpy in the face when they are
newly risen, or when they are getting ready to lay on the hurt.”

“Bumpy in the face?” Hermione questioned. Buffy nodded.

“Vampires look like humans most of the time. It makes it easier for them to hunt. But, when they transform into their demon visage their canines elongate to form fangs, and the bones in their face shift making them appear more scary.”

“Doesn’t that hurt?” Another student asked. Spike shrugged his shoulders.

“Not really.” He sighed. “Vampires don’t feel pain as acutely as people. “Sure it bothers them, especially if there’s enough of it. But things that would stop humans wouldn’t stop a vampire. They’re strong, fast, and deadly.” Buffy grinned to herself. She could tell Spike was feeling all Big Bad.

“But they are kill able. I’m sure you all know the drill. Stake through the heart, decapitation, and sunlight. Surefire ways to kill a vampire. Holy water, crosses, and fire can harm them, but stick with the first three and your golden. A vampire usually has time to react and put out the fire if they are old enough.” Spike nodded along with Buffy.

“Vampires kill to eat, they kill for fun. It’s as much survival for them as it is a hobby. Some vampires enjoy the hobby more than others.” Spike added.

“Now, has anyone here ever heard of the Slayer?” Buffy asked. She was met mostly with blank stares, but there was one hand which rose in to the air. As Buffy had come to expect, the lone hand belonged to Hermione.

“The Slayer is a legend. It is told that there is one girl in all the world who was chosen to protect the world from evil. Vampires, Demons, and other creatures of that ilk.”

“Textbook.” Spike commented. “But she isn’t a legend.” Hermione looked incredulous.

“But there have never been any actual accounts of Slayers. No documentation of their existence. They are merely fabled beings.”

“Spike’s right Hermione. The Slayer does exist. Why would there be such things as Vampires and Demons if there was no force to fight them?” Buffy asked.

“Then why doesn’t this Slayer help us with the fight against Voldemort?” Harry challenged.

“Maybe she never heard of this Voldy guy before.” Spike smirked at how Buffy could get the name of the most feared Dark Wizard wrong. When Buffy noticed his smirk, she smiled a little as well. “Well, no one ever says his name, how am I supposed to get it right?”

“How can she not have heard of him? It sounds to me like it’s the Slayer’s job to know.” Harry continued the debate.

“Well, she’s only one girl. She can’t be expected to know everything. Her head would explode. And believe me, exploded head is really hard to get out of a shirt.”

“How can you be so sure that she exists?” Ron asked, joining the verbal volley.

“Cause Buffy and I have met her before.” Spike answered. “Cute bird, lives around where we were in California.” Hermione looked flabbergasted.

“And there are accounts of Slayers, Hermione. Accounts of hundreds of them. They’re kept by the Slayer’s Watcher.”

“The Watcher is the white hat that’s assigned to teach the Slayer all things Slaying.” Spike explained. “They are mostly useless, but every once in a while you come across a good one. Watching is a birthright, much like being called as a Slayer.”

“It’s magic, just like you guys use magic.” Buffy concluded.

Shortly thereafter the class ended. “And fifteen points to Gryffindor for making it an interesting class!” Buffy called after their retreating backs. Hermione, Ron, and Harry were the slowest to leave.

“Somethin’ you were wondering, nibblet?” Spike asked Hermione.

“Have you really met the Slayer?” She asked. Spike’s eyes flicked to Buffy for a moment. “Yeah, I have. ’ve even fought along side her once or twice.” Hermione looked between Spike and Buffy, a pensive look on her face.

“Listen.” Buffy said, realizing she was alone with Harry and his friends. “There’s something me and Spike want to talk with you guys about. Meet us here after dinner, okay?” Harry looked surprised, but nodded nonetheless.


**************************************************************************************

a/n listen…I really appreciate those of you who are reviewing. It puts some serious smiles on my face (serious smiles..teehee) and makes me wanna write more. I’ve never posted a fic before, usually I just write for myself…but I felt inspired to begin posting. Again, just, thanks for the support, you guys are the best!!!!