Author's Chapter Notes:
lalala...i don't own anything...lalala it's an old song (too bad you cant see the dance i change it every week) but it has to be sung

and thanks for all the reviews :) they stroke my ego in an oh-so-satisfying way
“What do you think that they want to speak with us about?” Harry wondered aloud. The three had been talking about the request all day.

“Maybe it has something to do with that last essay we had to hand in.” Hermione said, worry etched on her face. “Maybe they know that I helped you with yours.” Ron rolled his eyes.

“It’s not illegal to help your friends with their essays, Mione.”

“Yeah, it’s not like we copied off of you.” Harry added. “For once.” The friends continued talking about it throughout dinner, every now and then throwing glances to Spike and Buffy at the head table. When Harry noticed them leave, he got Ron and Hermione’s attention. “They’ve gone, we might as well go too, yeah?” His friends nodded along and they left their long house table.

No one paid them any attention, which Harry still had trouble getting used to after the past year. He had gotten so used to faces turning to him wherever he went, whispers behind hands, accusations of lunacy, that it felt weird to be left to his regular celebrity. He was back to where everyone was used to him, and no one thought him so scandalous anymore. Harry frowned as he found that he was almost bothered by this. How could they act like everything had gone back to normal?

They arrived at the Defense Against The Dark Arts Room before Harry realized they had moved at all, so lost was he in his musings. Hermione put a hand out in front of him when he attempted to enter.

“What?” He asked. She shook her head and put a finger to her lips, making it quite plain she wanted Harry to shut up. He rolled his eyes to Ron, who shrugged his shoulders, but the three could soon hear voices floating out of the room. The professors obviously weren’t watching how loudly they were talking, assuming that even if there were students finished with supper, they would be headed back to their dorms.

“What should we tell them?” It was the voice of Miss Buffy. “I mean, Dumbledore never exactly told us what to tell them.” She sounded strained, something the three weren’t used to hearing in their new teacher’s voice.

“Pet, I think Dumbledore trusts us to figure out what we are going to tell them.” Spike’s voice answered her. It sounded so much softer than when he spoke in class.

“We should have figured it out first!” Buffy replied. “I mean, they’re probably on their way here, and we have no clue what to say to them.” There was silence. Harry, Ron, and Hermione looked at one another.

“They’ve actually been here for a while, Buffy.”

“Huh? What do you mean?” There was more silence. “Why didn’t you tell me that you could hear them out there? That means that they probably heard what we were talking about.” The trio looked at one another when all they heard was more silence. Suddenly, though, the door swung open and they were face to face with Spike.

“I think you should come in and stop lurking about.” The way he looked at them didn’t exactly encourage them to step into a room where there were no witnesses. Hermione spoke up first.

“W-we weren’t lurking about.” She stammered. “We just didn’t want to…interrupt you when you were speaking.” Spike smirked at her.

“Likely story, but I’ve heard them all. In you get.”

Buffy was sitting cross legged on the desk wringing her hands in her lap. “Take a seat.” She motioned for them to sit where they usually sat in class. Spike leaned against the wall nearest them. “There is something that Professor Dumbledore asked Spike and I to do. As a special favor to him. Maybe even sort of like repayment.” Buffy said the last part more to herself than to the three teenagers, but that didn’t stop Hermione from questioning her on it.

“Repayment for what, exactly?” Buffy considered the curly haired girl for a moment. She reminded her so much of Willow, except she was a little more bold. Willow didn’t really ever accost teachers like Hermione did.

“Spike and I sort of arrived here under unusual circumstances. From what Spike told me, combined with what I know, we got here through this portal that was supposed to end the world, but we stopped it- mainly Spike stopped it, and we landed in the middle of some sort of field. I don’t remember this part cause I wasn’t conscious. But Spike said that all he remembers is being aware that we weren’t dead, and that for whatever reason I was there with him, and then we both woke up in the hospital wing which is when we met Dumbledore.” Buffy paused to take a breath. “Dumbledore took care of us, so we said we’d do him a favor.”

“And what is that favor?” Hermione pressed. She was finding this all very interesting. The only portals regularly used in the wizarding world were through the Floo Network. This seemed to be a rogue portal.

“The main part of it,” Spike took the lead, “is what we have already been doing. Teaching you brats about the real world and how it is to fight without magical aid. But Dumbledore wanted us here to teach you three especially. And to help protect you.”

“Protect us?” Harry spoke up for the first time. “How are you going to protect us?” Buffy looked most distressed at this question and looked hard at Spike for a long time. Hermione saw him incline his head ever so slightly at her, a gesture so small one could have easily missed it. But she could tell that Buffy caught it and that it meant more to her than it did to Hermione.

“We talked to you about vampires today.” Buffy began, but seemed to decide a different tact. “Hermione was very hard to convince that the Slayer does, in fact, exist.”

“I still find it rather hard to believe, actually.” Hermione interjected. Ron and Harry rolled
their eyes. Spike smirked.

“I don’t blame you Hermione. It does seem fanciful, like something out of a story book. A heroine made to protect all of humankind until she dies by the age of twenty two. Or sixteen. I mean, it’s not like you deal with extraordinary things on a daily basis.” Hermione was nonplussed. “Hermione, there is always a balance between good and evil. There has to be or the world can’t function.”

“And you’ve met the Slayer?” Ron asked. He looked between his two professors, who were sharing another silent exchange. “What is she like?” Spike spoke to the children, his eyes still trained on Buffy.

“Pretty tiny for such a powerful girl. A goldilocks. Green eyes. Spitfire. Would sacrifice herself for any of you. Even if she didn’t know you. “

“She doesn’t know us.” Hermione reminded him.

“But she does, Nibblet.” Spike corrected her. “She knows you probably better than you could imagine. Especially since you doubt her existence. I mean, how could you know that you’ve been taught by none other than The Slayer since the beginning of the term?” Spike’s little speech was all very dramatic, and he was very amused by the reactions of his audience. Buffy grinned like a pleased kitten, while the three teenagers were looking at her with open mouths and expressions of disbelief.

“That’s how she picked up Malfoy!” Ron exclaimed. Hermione scoffed.

“Honestly, Ronald, you just find out that you know a living legend and all you can think about is how she made a fool of Malfoy!”

“But she’s right, Hermione. She’s got super strength if she’s the Slayer, that means she would have been able to pick him up no problem.” Harry jumped in. The Slayer. The Slayer was here. The knowledge didn’t exactly move Heaven and Earth, for they still weren’t really aware of what a Slayer was, but Harry knew that it couldn’t hurt to have one around. He grinned at Ron, who was grinning right back. But Hermione….

“So that explains Buffy.” She began delicately, “But not you, Spike.”

“How so?” Spike crossed his arms over his chest and leaned back. He knew that he couldn’t put anything past this one.

“Well, if Miss Buff really is the Slayer, then how can you fight her? You really seem to toss each other around, and for a while I thought maybe it was some sort of show. That the technique was real, but since you are so differently matched that it couldn’t be real. But now I know that Miss Buffy is so strong…” She let the end of her sentence drop, watching both Spike and Buffy very closely.

Buffy looked like she could barely breathe, and in fact, she was finding it quite hard indeed. What were they supposed to tell the three teens? Radioactive spider bite? Would the young wizards even get the pop culture reference? Their culture didn’t exactly pop in the same way as the rest of the world’s, after all. Could they really tell the teens that Spike was a vampire?