Author's Chapter Notes:
i dont own the characters...if i did...you'd be seeing this on tv or in books...and i'm super sorry that it's been forever since my last update...but life happens sometimes...i hope you enjoy
“M a vampire.” Spike intoned. Buffy sighed, exasperated.

“How do you do that?” She asked, arms crossed in front of her chest.

“Do what, pet?”

“Make such a big decision so quickly, without any thought?” Spike cocked his head to one side.

“Who said that I didn’t think about it? Maybe ‘ve been thinking about it since we started working here, since I thought that it might be an eventuality.” Buffy had no response for this. She never really thought that Spike was thinking about it as much as she was. He never seemed to be. “There’s no need to make everything so life and death, Slayer. There are plenty of things that are already that way.”

“Stop being all insightful…it’s creepy.” She said these words with a smile, remembering when she said that same exact thing to her younger sister. When Riley left.

When Riley left. It didn’t hurt as much as it used to, something she hadn’t realized. When had it stopped hurting? Spike cleared his throat to get her attention. When she looked at him, she realized. That’s when it stopped hurting.

Spike grinned at her. “I’m allowed to be insightful pet, I’m a lot older than you are. Much wiser.”

“Hey, I wouldn’t say you were so much wiser, I mean, I always managed to foil your evil plots.”

“Maybe I wasn’t trying as hard as I should have been.” Buffy opened her mouth to retort, but caught sight of the three teenagers before she could continue with the banter. Ron looked slightly frightened as he eyed Spike. Now that she was really looking, neither Harry nor Hermione seemed to keen on the idea either. Of course they wouldn’t be happy about it. They had spent all class period telling them how vicious vampires are.

“Spike is a different kind of vampire.” Buffy tried to explain, smiling in spite of herself. If Giles could hear her now. “I didn’t use to think that there was such a thing. I had them all lumped together in the bad and evil category, but Spike is truly different. He was willing to give his life up for mine.”

“What do you mean?” Hermione asked. Buffy then related a more in depth story of how they came to be at Hogwarts. Telling them about Glory and the Key and Spike’s plan to save Buffy and Spike.

“Which did sort of work cause hey, totally not dead.” Buffy finished the story and grinned at the faces she had garnered from the teenagers. They looked awestruck.

Harry’s mind was going a million miles a minute. He had never met another person who’s path in life so resembled his own. Someone who was born to fight, someone who had to fight. She was responsible for so many people’s lives and yet she could still smile. Harry didn’t know how she did it. Most of the time he felt like pulling his hair out and scratching at his eyeballs, and he always knew who he was up against. It seemed like Miss Buffy faced a new evil every single week.

“So you’re a good vampire?” Ron asked Spike. Spike’s face was hard.

“Oi! I’m not good. ‘M just slightly less evil.” Buffy rolled her eyes. He was such a baby. “Sometimes sacrifices must be made.”

“And you’re going to help us in the fight against Lord Voldemort?” Hermione asked. Buffy shrugged her shoulders.

“I guess so. I mean, there really isn’t anything all that dire happening on the home front, and seems like this Moldy bread guy rates big in the Bad Guy Zagat Guide, which is what I was born for…”

“Seems like what Dumbledore has in mind.” Spike summed up Buffy’s rambling. “That’s why we’re going to be holding the three of you to a slightly different standard than the rest of your classmates. You’re the front line, you need to know what you’re doing.”

“I hate fighting without a wand.” Hermione grumbled.

“But it might save your life.” Spike scolded. “Wands can get taken away, or broken, or stolen. You don’t want your life to end on account of a piece of wood, believe me.”


Spike, Buffy, Harry, Ron, and Hermione talked for a long time that night. They worked out a schedule where they could have private classes for more intense training. Spike even said that they could eventually teach them how to use weapons that weren’t spells. Hermione had asked question after question about slayers, making Buffy consider asking Giles if she could send some of the Watcher’s diaries her way. Buffy knew that he would as long as she didn’t tell him that she was planning on loaning them to a sixteen year old witch.

“I think that went rather well, what do you think Spike?” Spike shrugged his shoulders and watched the pack of teenagers walk down the hallway.

“Went alright. Let’s just see if tomorrow the whole school knows that I’m a vampire, and you’re the Slayer.” Buffy giggled and slipped her hand in Spike’s.

“Let’s go patrol.”

Patrolling the grounds at Hogwarts was always disobligingly uneventful. There were no vampires, besides Spike, and no demons to slay. Nothing wrong going on. So most nights, patrolling time turned into time that Spike and Buffy spent talking. Or walking.

Buffy felt at peace at Hogwarts. Sure there was a Big Bad Evil looming in the beyond, but it was a completely ambiguous evil that had so far posed no real threat. Buffy could be Buffy. Buffy could be Buffy strolling along hand in hand, quite happily, with an attractive male shaped someone. With male parts. Who was happy being with Buffy. And that made her happy. She could be normal.

“I don’ know if we can even call it patrolling anymore pet.” Spike commented. He flicked the ash off of the end of his cigarette before taking another drag. “We might have to downgrade it to a walk in the park.”

“Or a date.” Buffy said the words before she even thought about what they meant. When she saw the look on Spike’s face, one of such quiet wonder mixed with a reserved fear. The look was gone as quick as it came though, to be replaced with his patented smirk.

“A date with me is a downgrade?” Buffy smiled.

“Methinks that wasn’t the point of the conversation, Buster.” Spike wouldn’t meet her eyes. “Why are you so afraid of this conversation? I thought you loved me. I thought that you wanted this.”

“Why wouldn’t I be afraid, Buffy? You’ve told me that you could never love me. You told me that there were no crumbs. I’ve learned that hoping with you is sort of pointless.” It hurt Buffy more than she could express to hear Spike say those things, and Spike could tell. He could practically smell the blood flooding her body from her broken heart. But it wasn’t completely his fault, she had to take some of the blame.

“Spike, I know that I’ve said the most awful things to you. That I’ve called you a thing, a monster, something completely incapable of love. But being away from Sunnydale is helping me to realize things. Things that maybe I wasn’t so ready to feel before.” It was something hard for Buffy to say, hard for her to open herself up to so much pain. But if she didn’t, there wouldn’t be any soothing balm to heal her heart either.

Spike sighed deeply, trying to put off the time when he would have to answer her. He always put himself out there for her. Sure, he had only stopped trying to kill her a few months ago, but he had actually been helping her for years. Somewhere inside of him, he knew that he had loved her since the moment that he had laid eyes on her. “Slayer.” Buffy grimaced at his reverting to his impersonal name for her, but said nothing. “I’d walk to the end of the Earth for you, go to hell and back to see you smile. But I want you to be sure.” With that, Spike dropped her hand and walked off into the darkness of the grounds.