Author's Chapter Notes:
Let me know if you like this story and want me to make a longer one out of it.
Not Such A Simple Choice



Spike and Angel both show up looking for Buffy again and Andrew answers the door.

Spike: Is Buffy home?

Angel: Is she here?

Andrew: (excited) You two are in luck this time you just caught her before she was about to leave and hangout with the Immortal.

Spike: Great.

Angel: About time.

They both invite themselves in and take a sit on the couch.

Andrew: Hey you two guys wait her and I’ll go get her. (walks toward Buffy’s room and knocks) Buffy you got some visitors.

Buffy: (opens the door) Visitors…who?

Andrew: Uh some old friends of yours. I think it might be important.

Buffy walks out of her room and goes to the living along side of Andrew.

Buffy: What old friends… (spots them both) Oh…

Angel: Buffy I’m glad I was able to reach you in time before you make a big mistake.

Spike: I’m happy just to see you again pet.

Buffy: (confused) What…huh…you and you…here…

Andrew: I think everyone needs a little catching up to do so I’m gonna leave you all three of you alone (leaves).

Buffy is speechless as she just stares at them both.

Angel: The Immortal didn’t put you under some spell or something did he? What am I saying if she was under some spell she wouldn’t know it. Buffy I’m here to tell you that the Immortal is all wrong for you and you shouldn’t be with him. I just want to make sure your alright.

Buffy: (stuttering) How…did you know…about him? How did you find out that we were hanging out?

Spike: You see Buffy, brooding here has been spying on you since you’ve been here.

Buffy: (offended) You’ve been spying on me?

Angel: (annoyed) I was spying exactly as I was more just making sure you were safe and away from any danger.

Buffy: By what, keeping an eye on me making sure I didn’t hang out with anyone you didn’t approve of. Very mature.

Angel: Hey I’m not the worst person here Ok. I had only good intentions. Spike here came back and didn’t even bother to tell you. Now that’s plan being a jerk.

Spike: Buffy he is right and that I have been back awhile and didn’t tell you because…

Buffy: (softly) You’ve been back awhile…

Spike: Yes Buffy but you have to understand that…

Buffy: (angry) You two make me so crazy some times with the things you do. (to Angel) You, you spy on me and act like it’s no big deal. You always come running the minute you hear I’m with someone else. (to Spike) Been back awhile and not even a phone call. Don’t you think I would’ve wanted to know that you survived. (to them both) I gonna settle this right now and you two both better explain yourselves. Spike take a seat while I deal with Angel.

Angel gives Spike a gloating look as she walks to Buffy. Spike sits down disappointed.

Angel: Buffy I’m only trying to protect you…

Buffy: From what, having a life. Being with who I want to be with.

Angel: I only kept an eye on you because I wanted to come anytime you needed my help.

Spike: (yells) Not true. He only came because he couldn’t stand the thought of you being with the Immortal.

Buffy and Angel both give a shut-up look to Spike and he gets the message.

Buffy: So you here now. Tell exactly what I need saving from if it’s not from another guy you don’t like.

Angel: Well the Immortal is someone you need saving from that guy has slept with thousands of women. You don’t need a guy like that in your life because he will just dump you and move on.

Buffy: For the record…I’ve never slept with him. Second we are just hanging out and it’s nothing serious. So is this how it’s gonna be until the end of time. Every time I’m with a guy you're gonna come running and give your two senses in. I don’t want it and I don’t need it. I can make decisions on my own thank you very much.

Angel: Buffy it’s really not like that at all.

Buffy: Really? Should I start listing all the times you’ve done stuff like this before. You’re not in my everyday life anymore and you can’t tell me how to live. I’m sorry but you’re not gonna have your way this time. You can’t expect me to drop everything the minute you show up unannounced in my life and do what you say. I need you to get out of my face right now as I can’t stand to look at you.

Spike takes this as his cue and gets up to walk over to Buffy as Angel takes his seat on the couch. Buffy has her head down and doesn’t see Spike coming toward her and he gently lifts her chin up to make eye contact. She stares at him for a second but has to look away. He grabs her hand and places it on his non-beating heart.

Spike: I’m back Buffy…indeed solid through.

Buffy pauses for a moment before taking her hand back.

Buffy: But you’ve been back awhile.

Angel: (yells) Long while…and he tried to keep it from you because that’s the kind of guy he is.

Buffy and Spike this time give the look to shut-up to Angel.

Buffy: Why on earth would you not tell me you were back?

Spike: Buffy try to understand when I made my exit it was the perfect send-off for me. Your last memory of me would be of a champion and there’s nothing that would be able to top that. They is nothing I could do in the future or no grand entrance for me back into your life that could top that. I went out on top and didn’t think I was coming back because I wanted to see how it all ended.

Buffy: You mean you didn’t even give me the choice to have you back in my life. That wasn’t right for you to not tell me you were back. You let me think that you were out of my life forever without the possibility of seeing you again when you were just hanging out.

Spike: You see Buffy it wasn’t that simple. That amulet brought me back but not as I am now but more like a ghost. I could go through walls and doors but couldn’t exactly pick up the phone. I was stuck with brooding over there and couldn’t escape. It wasn’t until not too recently I got my body back.

Buffy: It doesn’t matter. You should have found some way to tell me.

Angel gets back up to talk to Buffy.

Angel: No matter what you can’t stay with the Immortal. The reasons why read like a prison sentence.

Spike: Look forehead here does make a good point and you need to stay away from him.

Angel: Buffy you should be with a guy who has a soul and who truly loves you and wants to be with you.

Spike: Thanks for making my point exactly. That description fits me perfectly.

Angel: At least I’m taller then you captain peroxide.

Spike: That’s only because you wear lifts.

Buffy: Wait. I can’t believe I didn’t see this earlier. This isn’t about me. This is about you two. I’m just a prize in another childish game between you two. I am not a giant stuffed gorilla you win at a carnival. It’s not gonna happen that way. I’m not choosing either one of you.

Spike: But please don’t pick the Immortal. I rather see you with forehead than with him.

Angel: So I take that as you’re still baking.

Buffy: I want you both to leave and stay out of my life. I can’t stand being around either of you right now.

Angel: Please I don’t want it to end like this.

Spike: Buffy you have to listen to me.

Buffy: No this is it now go.

They both start to walk away disappointed for not being picked.

Buffy: Wait.

They both turn around and Buffy walks up to Angel.

Buffy: I love you.

Angel turns to Spike and gives him a pleased look with himself to rub it in. Spike is disappointed.

Buffy: (goes to Spike) I love you too (Spike is shocked to hear it) believe it. (to both of them) But I’m not choosing between you two.

Buffy opens the door and motions for them to leave. They both walk out.

Buffy: One day if I decide to choose between you two I’ll let you know when I’m good and ready. I’ll come find you (slams the door in their faces).

They both walk away disappointed that they didn’t get picked.

Angel: She can’t possibly be going back to the Immortal.

Spike: That didn’t go right at all.

Angel: Hey she didn’t pick you either.

Spike: I know that but something else wasn’t right in there. Something was…off.

Angel: Look you need to get over it like I have too. And to tell you the truth I too would rather see you two together then the Immortal with her.

Spike: Yeah. But still something I can’t shake. Something in there was wrong. I hope it was just me.

Angel: What are you talking about?

Spike: A smell.

Cut to:
Buffy sits back down on her couch and trying to let it all sink in.

Andrew: (walks back in) That was intense.

Buffy: That had to be one of the toughest moments of my life. The nerve of those guys coming here and putting me in that position. Ugh they drive me nuts. Do you think I did the right thing?

Andrew: I think you did. But personally if I had to choose one of them I would choose Spike. He’s just so much cooler than Angel.

Buffy: You know what I probably would have too. But not just him they both just made me so angry. I don’t really want to talk about it anymore right now.

Andrew: Ok then, are you still gonna go out tonight.

Buffy: I don’t think I’m up to it anymore.

Andrew: I don’t blame you. If I had two ex-boyfriends show up like that I probably would want to stay in for the night too. But Buffy I really got to go. I have a big date tonight that I don’t want to miss (leaves).

Buffy sits alone wondering if she did the right thing or not. Eventually she decides that she did and won’t choose anyone of them right this second and that she will break off hanging out with the Immortal. She decides to call it a night.




fin





This story is something I think would probably happen if in fact Buffy had been home in the end. I don’t think she would have chosen either one of them and probably would have been angry at both of them. Also I do believe that some part of both Angel and Spike treated Buffy as a prize between the two of them. Buffy would probably catch on to it and send them away. So tell me what you thought. Did you like it or did you hate it. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks for reading.







Buffy: (looks into her bathroom mirror) I know I did the right thing…I mean…I just couldn’t choose one of them right then and there…it wouldn’t have been fair to either one of them…I still can’t believe they just show up like that…and expect me to make a decision…one thing for is this job just doesn’t get any easier does it…(removes a mask to reveal herself to be another Slayer)…Buffy taught me everything I needed to know to be her but not this…I can’t make decisions like that for her…I’m sure one day Buffy will end up with one of them because she told me how much she loved both of them…I don’t think Buffy needs to know about this one…she’ll probably freak out…funny how this mask and this perfume…scent of Buffy…makes me her…I hope they don’t come back here…