Author's Chapter Notes:
this popped into my head as i was answering reviews over at EF. i have to say that Patri, aka The Enemy of Reality, has been VERY inspirational!! Thank you sweetie!! i hope you enjoy!! i know i did!!
As Riley dragged Buffy off to the kitchen, the group looked to Spike to see his reaction. Willow and Xander looked at each other, eyebrows raised, as Spike glared towards the kitchen, jaw clenched, nostrils flared. Dawn touched his arm and Spike whipped his head in her direction. Spike frowned and then sighed. "I'll be okay. Bastard better keep his hands to himself."

In the kitchen, Buffy jerked away from Riley as soon as they passed the door. "Riley, my God, what's your problem?"

Riley's jaw clenched as he stared her down. "My PROBLEM is that my girlfriend keeps EYE FUCKING A DEMON!"

Buffy looked over her shoulder as he yelled, expecting the brigade any minute but all was quiet. "Riley! Keep your voice down!"

Everyone jumped as they heard Riley yell from the kitchen. Spike pushed himself off the couch and went towards the kitchen. Xander jumped up and grabbed his arm. "Woah there Sparky! I don't think you need to get into this!"

Spike turned his glare on him and shrugged him off. "He has no right to yell at her like that!"

"Well she was eye--" Anya looked towards Dawn "--loving you. It's only reasonable he'd be jealous. I mean, who wouldn't be jealous of watching a hot guy, albeit vampire, lick ice...cream..." she trailed off as Xander glared at her.

"And that's my cue to get Spike clothes!" Dawn jumped up and trotted up the stairs, glad to be out of the room.

"Look Xander, yeah...I--care for Buffy...but he's not gonna yell at her like that!" Brushing past him, he went towards the kitchen.

"Oh no you don't!" Xander grabbed his arm and was immediately pushed to the floor. Spike doubled over in pain as the chip fired.

"Look can we please just stop!" said Willow. Tara sat mute beside her. She looked like she wanted to sink into the couch.

Dawn clomped back down the stairs and threw Spike his white tank top. Looking down at Xander, who was still on the floor, she raised an eyebrow. "So--who wants more ice cream?"

"I--I th-think we need to just let them be," soft voiced Tara said. She ducked her head as everyone looked at her.

Spike sent her a small smile and shook his head. "Sorry Glenda, I just can't--"

"Whore!"

Everyone froze at that outburst and, as one, flew towards the kitchen. Spike led the way by a foot. They flew into the kitchen, taking in the almost surreal scene in front of them. Riley had Buffy pulled close, his face in hers, his hands clenching her arms. Buffy was crying.

Spike vamped out.

"You better let her go Soldier Boy," warned Spike.

"Or what?" he snarked.

Xander's fist shot out, connecting with Riley's jaw. His head snapped to the side and Buffy stumbled out of his grasp. Spike thrust Buffy behind him and put himself in Riley's path.

"Ow! ow! ow!" exclaimed Xander, shaking his hand.

Riley slowly rotated his jaw and glared at Xander. "What the fuck man? I thought we were friends!"

Xander stood beside Spike and scowled. "Buffy's my friend before you even exist Riley! And she's a woman asshole!"

Riley sneered, and chuckled. "She's the Slayer. She can take it."

"She shouldn't have to," said Spike, glaring.

Riley chuckled and got in Spike's face. "So sayeth Hostile Seventeen! The vampire who's tried to kill her for the past two years!" Thumping his finger against Spike's temple, he chuckled again. "How's that chip by the way?"

Spike closed his eyes as anger coursed through his veins. Letting loose a warning growl, he clenched his fists. Flashing his yellow eyes at the pillock, he stated, "Do that again and I will kill you, chip or no sodding chip!"

Willow softly grasped Dawn's arm and pulled her back from Spike's left. It wasn't easy. Dawn tried to shrug her off numerous times. Putting a couple of feet between the three men, Tara and Willow rubbed her back, trying to calm her down. Dawn's face closely resembled Spike's. Good and pissed.

"I tell you what...how about we settle this right now?" Riley reached into his pocket and pulled out a taser. Flicking the switch, he thrust it towards Spike.

"Riley!" yelled Buffy.

Spike shot out a hand, catching the device an inch from his chest. "Not again you tosser!" Wrapping his fingers around Riley, Spike squeezed. Riley gasped and glared at him as Spike used Riley's hand to crush the taser. Throwing it to the floor, Riley took a swing at Spike. Xander quickly backed away, kicking the taser towards the back door.

As Spike ducked, Buffy reacted. Her fist shot out and connected with Riley's nose.

Riley crumpled like a paper bag. Hitting the floor, he groaned and grabbed his nose. Spike leaned down and grabbed Riley by the shirt, hauling him to top of his toes. Riley, breathing harshly, grabbed Spike's throat. "Let me go Seventeen," he spat. Squeezing, he frowned when Spike didn't react.

Jerking Riley closer, their noses touched as Spike glared into his eyes. "Don't need breath dunce!" As he laughed, an unusual smell hit his nose. Narrowing his eyes, he subbed his demon and peered at Riley curiously. Something changed in Riley's eyes and he twisted in Spike's grip, struggling to get free. "That's an unusual smell you have there....mate," he spat, baring his teeth.

"Let me go Spike!" Riley pushed at his arm but it was no use. Spike hoisted him higher in the air.

Buffy swallowed shallowly as she watched Spike hold her boyfriend in the air with one hand. It was arousing to say the least. Buffy knew she should feel disgusted but oddly she didn't. The one man she trusted more than anything had just abused her. In her own house. In front of her friends and family. And now the supposed soulless monster was defending her honor, along with a specific enemy of his.

"Spike, what are you talking about?" asked Willow, clutching Tara's hand.

"I'm talking about the very fragrant smell leaping off this sod's person," snarked Spike. Nodding his towards Riley, he said, "Xander, get his pants."

Xander took a step back and screwed his eyes up at Spike. "Say what?"

"I think Dawn should leave the room," said Buffy.

Spike shook his head. "No, what you need to see is on his legs. She'll be fine."

The group gathered around as Xander picked reluctantly at Riley's pants. Riley gave up the struggle and hung in Spike's grip. Xander hesitated at pulling Riley's pants down and fidgeted. Anya stepped around him and did it herself. Riley's boxers fell right to mid-thigh. Everyone gasped at the markings on both legs.

More specifically, the abundant bite marks. There were at least six on each leg. Most were scabbed over. Some were scarred.

Buffy closed her eyes in disgust. "Oh my god."

"Oh My God," exclaimed Dawn, clapping a hand over her eyes.

Anya tilted her head to the left, then the right. "Xander's bigger." Xander blushed and flashed everyone a cheesy smile.

"How could you? How could you let them do that to you?" asked Buffy, clear disgust on her face.

"I didn't!" Riley protested weakly.

Spike scoffed and shook him lightly. "You let yourself become take out!"

"Take out?" asked Xander.

Spike rolled his eyes. "Yeah, see, there's certain vampires who don't exactly kill their meals. They figure why kill when you can always go back for more. And Brain Dead here has had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting up with one of these vamps. And I'm thinking recently. As within three weeks." Giving Riley another shake, he dropped him on his ass. Riley sat there, saying nothing.

Buffy closed her eyes. She tried to block out the images but they just wouldn't stop. That's why he had disappeared. "How? Why? How could you be so stupid Riley?!"

Riley glared up at her. "Because I wanted to see what attracted you! I wanted to know why you stayed with Angel! I wanted to know why you wanted...Spike!"

Spike silently preened at that but said nothing. Dawn started crying and left the room. Willow and Tara grasped hands. Buffy became infuriated and stepped forward. "So you allowed yourself to get bit? How stupid are you Riley?!"

Spike sighed and shook his head. "Oh it's worse than that," he quietly said.

"Shut up Spike!" Riley glared at him and tried to get up but Xander knocked him back down.

"What do you mean Spike?" asked Willow.

Throwing a glance her way, he shook his head. "You birds have seen the vampire movies right? You've seen how Dracula enchants Reinfield. He eats bugs and follows his master around like a little puppy dog..."

"That's thrall right?" asked Xander.

Spike shook his head again. "No such thing. What your Farm Boy here has been doing is much worse than letting them bite him. He--"

"I said SHUT UP SPIKE!!" screamed Riley. He started to pull himself up but Buffy kicked him down this time.

Spike bit his cheek in anger. "Oh he's been allowing them to bite him sure. But he's took it a step farther than that. The thing I smell....the stench pouring out of those beady little pores of his is vampire's blood. He's been drinking their blood. A female." Taking a deep breath he exhaled and shook his head. "Three females to be precise."

Buffy struggled with her gag reflex as she shook her head. "What will it do to him?"

Folding his arms across his chest, he shook his head. "Well, with him being alive and all that, the demon blood is fighting to take over. It will make him feel invincible. Stronger. Quick to anger. Just think of it as vampiric steroids. The blunt result of drinking is that now he gets off on it."

"You're lying!! He's lying!!" Riley protested.

"Oh really?" Spike vamped out pricked a finger. Riley stared at his hand as Spike waved it in front of his face. Buffy lost control and puked in the sink as Riley's shorts slowly began to tent.

"I'm going to kill you!" Riley lunged for Spike but was held back by Xander's foot to his chest.

Spike glanced worriedly over at Buffy as she stared out the window. She wrapped her arms around herself, almost as self-preservation. Willow and Tara quietly left the room.

Anya looked down at Riley silently. "Xander's still bigger."

Spike bit his lip to keep from laughing. Now was not the time!

A bubble of laughter escaped from Buffy. Her shoulders shook as she leaned against the sink. She just couldn't believe her life! Her boyfriend was addicted to vampires! How ironic was that? There was a very big difference though. Buffy had loved her ex. Riley had become their whore.

Facing the now subdued man on the floor, she wiped her face. "Riley, I want you to leave."

Riley's face dropped in shock. Struggling to his feet, he jerked at his pants. "What? You can't be serious!! He has no proof! Just because he wants to fuck you--"

Suddenly Dawn whirled back into the room, pushing Spike to the side. Her knee flew up and connected to Riley's genitals. Spike and Xander both covered themselves in reflex. Riley doubled over in pain and she pushed him back down to the floor. "Cheat on my sister will you? You bastard!" Giving him one last kick, she burst into tears again and stormed back out.

Everyone was silent for a minute before Anya spoke up. "Well, let's give it up for sixteen year old hormones!"

Spike looked to Buffy to see how she was handling. Her eyes were bright and shiny and her face was flushed.

Suddenly, her eyes had a dangerous glint to them. Stalking forward, she grabbed Riley up off the floor and started dragging him towards the living room. Riley struggled but Buffy held tight. "What are you doing Buffy? Let me go!" Spike, Anya and Xander followed behind her.

As they neared the living room, Willow and Tara jumped up from their seats. "Everything okay?" asked Willow.

Buffy continued through the room, towards the front door. "Everything's just peachy," she ground out.

As they neared the front door, Dawn came tromping back down the stairs. Sitting at the bottom, she glared at Riley and clutched some tissues in her hand.

Buffy pushed Riley into the wall as she struggled to open the door. Riley struggled to keep it closed. "You can't do this Buffy! You can't leave me for him! I'll kill you first!" he yelled, enraged. Spike took a step towards Riley but was held back by Xander. Xander shook his head and Spike nodded. Everyone grimaced as Xander punched Riley so hard, his head bounced off the wall, blood pouring out of his nose.

"And don't come back," he stated darkly.

Grimacing, with tears streaming down her face, Buffy threw open the door and began shoving Riley out the door. He struggled and fought but it was no use. Throwing him out into the yard, Buffy closed the door and locked it.

"I've got back," murmured Xander, heading towards the kitchen.

Buffy nodded and started crying again as everyone remained silent. Riley remained screaming outside for several minutes.

Looking around, she saw that Willow was looking around the room awkwardly, while Tara stared at their joined hands. Dawn sat at the bottom of the stairs, staring angrily downwards at nothing.

Spike stared at her.

Buffy's tears welled as he stared into her eyes. There was kindness there. Love. Support. Understanding even. But tonight was not the night. She needed alone time. "I'm going to my room." Turning on her heel, she silently went passed Dawn and clipped up the stairs. Dawn jumped to her feet and followed.

Xander appeared back in the foyer and sighed. "I think he left. His car is gone." Clapping his hands together awkwardly, he grinned. "So...everyone ready to go home?" Anya smiled brightly and grabbed their coats. Tara and Willow stood silently at the front door as everyone got situated. They smiled at Spike awkwardly as they shuffled out the front door.

"Drive safe," Spike murmured, shaking his head slowly. Looking up to the top of the stairs, he closed the door, putting his hands on his hips. Sighing, he headed towards the living room.

Suddenly the door opened and Spike spun around, ready to punch.

Joyce smiled at him as she closed the door behind her. Dropping her coat and purse at the door, she sighed. "Oh you're up! Good! So how was your evening?" she asked excitedly.

Shaking his head, he smiled back. "Feel up to some hot chocolate Joyce?"

Joyce smiled and linked arms with Spike, pulling him towards the kitchen. "Only if we have the little marshmallows!"


Chapter End Notes:
now THAT was my longest chapter!! REVIEWS PLEASE!! :o)