Author's Chapter Notes:
hopefully this chapter is better!
"So, you wanna tell me what you're working on?"

Dawn jerked in her seat and glanced warily over her shoulder. "Huh?"

Joyce gestured to her paper. "The subject. What subject are you working on? Spike's still tutoring you right?"

Dawn let a little sigh of relief out. "Uh, yeah. I'm working on my essay for History. Spike's been a great help."

Joyce nodded her head absently and pulled some juice out of the fridge. "Really? What's the topic?"

Dawn shuffled her papers around and sighed. "Heirarchy of seventeeth century England, along with pros and cons of their system."

Joyce smiled softly and rubbed Dawn's back. "Sounds interesting."

Dawn hmmed under her breath and closed her notebook. "He basically gave me the blueprint for everything. I just have to write it all out and give my opinions." She giggled as she picked up her bag. "He even gave me back history on a lot of them. Called them 'poncey buggers' or 'uptight-" she glanced at her mother and clamped her mouth shut.

Joyce set her cup on the counter and gave her a leveled look. "It wasn't a compliment was it?"

Dawn bit her bottom lip and shook her head.

Joyce sighed. "Do I need to tell him to watch his language around you, young lady?"

Dawn groaned. "Mom. It was just an old English swear word. I didn't even know what it meant."

"But the implication was there?" she asked, arching a brow.

Dawn sighed and picked up her bag. "I'm meeting Buffy at the mall."

Joyce let the subject drop. "Do you need a ride?"

Dawn quickly exited the kitchen and headed for the stairs. "No, Spike's taking me!" Quickly exiting the house, she omitted the fact that she was going on his motorcycle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Anyways, the next thing I know, Spike is holding me up the air! I mean, way up there! But I was able to punch him in the face and he let go! He says I'm improving a lot," claimed Dawn, glowing.

Buffy nodded her head absently and flicked through another rack of clothes. She wasn't paying the least bit of attention. Her thoughts were still stuck on Spike. The subject of Spike. The near nakedness of Spike. Naked Spike. She groaned silently as the image flashed in her mind. God, why couldn't she let this go? It wasn't like she hadn't seen him near naked before. Hell, she'd even been magically engaged to him. It wasn't like she didn't know what was under there. She just refused to think about it. No more thinking. No more pondering. No more curious thoughts. No more dreaming late at night. She almost stomped her foot in frustration. Two months ago, she would've rather punched him in the face than talked to him.

Then he'd gotten hurt and some priorities had shifted. Situations had changed. Now Spike was practically on the team. His personal cheerleader being her little sister. Mom wasn't much help either. She swore if she heard about one more artifact Spike had mentioned for the gallery, she was gonna throw it at his head personally. Screw the antiqueness. Sighing, she turned to another rack of clothes, not even noticing that it was men's evening wear.

Dawn noticed her absentness and smirked. "And then, to top things off, he bit me. I mean bam! I think I've got another couple of hours before I change. Honestly, he's not bad for a sire."

Buffy flicked through ties. "Uh-huh. That's nice. Remind me to get that later." Leaving them, she stared at tie clips.

Dawn almost couldn't hold in her giggles. This was almost too easy! "C'mon, let's get something to eat." Grabbing her arm, she pulled her out of the store.

Buffy's glazed look ended for a minute and she looked around. Why were they in a men's store? And what had Dawn said about--"What do you mean he bit you?"

Dawn laughed and dragged her towards the foodcourt. "Honestly Buffy, where's your head at?"

Buffy's face blanked and she shrugged. "Nowhere. Buffy present and accounted for." Averting her gaze, she reached into her purse for some money.

Dawn looked at her, unconvinced. "Yeah, then what did I just tell you about?"

Slowly counting through her change, she winced. "Your history paper."

"What was it about?" Holding her hand for money, she order pizza.

Buffy silently paid. As they collected their food, she slowly shredded a napkin to bits. "Uh...history?"

Dawn sighed and followed her to their seats. "I told you about my history paper twenty minutes ago. Before you wandered off into the men's store."

Buffy looked down at her tray guiltly. "Sorry Dawnie. I've had a lot on my mind lately."

Picking a piece of pepperoni of the top of her slice, Dawn smiled. "Like what? A guy?"

Buffy almost choked on her soda. "What guy? There's no guy!" Grabbing a napkin, she wiped the drink off her chin. Could Dawn guess what she was thinking? Or rather not thinking about.

Dawn sighed. "You wouldn't tell me even if there was a guy."

Buffy sighed, shrugging softly. "True. I don't make it a habit of discussing my love life with my little sister."

Dawn sat up a little straighter. "Fine. I won't tell you about mine."

Buffy's mouth dropped open. "Yours? Since when? Fifteen year olds don't have love lives."

Dawn rudely cleared her throat and cut her a glare. "So what was Angel? A big brother? A study buddy?"

Buffy fishmouthed for a minute and put down her drink. "That was different. Circumstances were...special."

Dawn looked at her unconvinced. "So if I told you that I suddenly wanted to date Spike--"

Buffy glared at her. "There will be no dating of Spike. At all!"

Dawn glared back. "Says who? It's not any different that what you and Angel did. You even lied about him to Mom before she found out that he was older than The Constitution! Mom knows what Spike is and she actually likes him!"

Buffy's gaze turned steely. "There will be no dating Spike," she said firmly.

Dawn jumped up and grabbed her plate. Fuming, she marched away, followed hastly by her sister. Throwing her trash away, she turned on her. "It's not like you want him! You ignore him and treat him like he's trash!"

Buffy skidded to a halt. "I do not! I--talk to him!"

Dawn put her hands on her hips. "Really? When? When you're beating him up? Or is it when you're throwing money at him? Did you ever stop to think about how he feels? No! You just charge in there like you're Queen Buffy and demand!"

As Dawn went to march by her, Buffy grabbed her arm. "I'm going to say this once and for all, if you think you're heading there with Spike, think again! If you think that you're going to date Spike, him and me just might have to sit down and have a little chat."

Pulling away, she shrugged. "I'm not worried about it. I'm not the one he's in love with."

Buffy stared at her for a moment. "You sure about that?" She felt conflicted and oddly jealous. She was positive though, that she wasn't going to let her sister repeat her mistakes.

Dawn arched an eyebrow and stared down at her smugly. "I'm positive." Stepping away, she said, "I'll meet you outside."

As Buffy went back to gather her trash, she never saw the sneaky smile that spread across her sister's face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Spike jumped in his seat as the door to his crypt crashed open. "'ello Slayer. How're you this--" His comment was just off as she pulled him up by the shirt and got in his face.

"What are you doing with my sister?" she demanded.

Spike's brow furrowed in confusion. "What the bleeding hell are you going on about?"

Buffy pushed him away and stepped back. She watched as he smoothed his t-shirt back down his chest. Glancing away quickly, she clenched her fists. "You. My sister. Dating. What's that about?"

Spike leaned away from her, tilting his head, studying her. "Who told you that?"

Crossing her arms, she glared. "My sister."

Squinting at the ceiling, he bit his bottom lip. "Well we did chat about catching a movie if she aced her paper but--"

Taking a step towards him, she demanded, "So that's it? A movie? You aren't trying to--" gesturing with her hand, she fell silent.

Spike almost doubled over in laughter but held it. A chuckle slipped out and he covered his mouth. "Is that was this is? You think that we're getting all romantic like?" Cocking his head at her, he tisked. "Can't say your Mum would approve of that."

Buffy stared at her shoes in embarassment. Pursing her lips, she asked softly, "So...you're not thinking about dating her?"

Easing back down into his seat, he sighed. "Can't say that I am. Your Mum would have me gutted by the balls, no matter how much she fancies me."

Buffy sighed and put her hands in her coat pockets. "So why would she--"

"How did I come up in the picture anyway?" Spike asked innocently.

Buffy fidgeted, scuffing her shoe. "We were just talking." Spike made a low sound in his throat and smirked.

Looking around awkwardly, Buffy sighed. "My Mom also told me to invite you over. She wanted to talk to you about something."

Spike looked up confused. "Got any idea what about?"

Buffy sighed and turned away. "Gallery."

Pushing up out of his chair, he motioned towards the door. Following her out, he asked, "How do you suppose it's the gallery?"

Buffy shrugged and kept walking. "I dunno. She said something about Clapton."

Spike chuckled low in his throat and shook his head, closing the door. Only Buffy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Silent eyes followed the pair as they left the graveyard. Those two, they had it coming. He couldn't wait till they were both irradicated, screaming in pain. He would wait his time, planning and plotting. It had to be perfect. He knew their ins-and-outs, knew their weaknesses. It's what he did. When he struck, it would be without notice and he would glory in their defeat. He just needed to keep his patience.

It would be soon.