Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry for such the long wait for those readers who are actually reading this! writer's block suck!!
“So I told Marcy 'of course Justin likes you!' and she said 'how do you know?' and I was like 'duh! He stares at you all the time!” Dawn giggled at her recollection as she doodled on her history homework. Spike was supposed to help her on the changes between British parliament then and now.

But instead he was staring off across The Magic Box at Buffy, who was reshelving books. “Yeah, Tony Blair is a git,” he muttered.

Dawn sighed and lightly tapped him on the forehead with her pencil. “Earth to Spike! Homework now, starage later!”

Blinking, Spike cleared his throat and straightened. “Right. What was the question?”

Dawn sighed. “You know, now that you're all better, I bet Buffy would love a sparring partner who doesn't cry or need heavy padding. Why don't you go invite her in the back room and--” she stuttered to a stop as Spike quirked an eyebrow. Tossing her pencil at him, she frowned. “Oh shut up.”

Spike smirked. “Didn't say anything.”

“I know what you were thinking.”

Spike batted innocent eyes at her. “Oh really?”

Dawn rolled her eyes and closed her history book. “Yeah. You were thinking about getting all sweaty and hot, not to mention, groiny with my sister.”

Spike's brow crinkled as he frowned. “And just what do you know about that?”

Dawn giggled. “Oh please. I watch HBO.”

“I'm gonna tell your mum to block that channel.”

Dawn sighed as she stood up. “Didn't say I watched it at home. Jeez, grow up Spike!” Grabbing her book bag, she headed for the door.

“Dawn! Need me to walk you home?” called Buffy.

Dawn shook her head, waving her hand at Buffy. “No. It's daylight. I'm cool!” Pausing at the door, she called, “Spike would like to spar if you're interested.”

Spike growled as the door closed behind the conniving teen. “Bint,” he muttered. Rubbing the back of his neck, he glanced to Buffy.

She smiled at him and pushed her handful of books back on the cart. “Ready?”

Spike blinked at her bright, smiling face. Feeling a little dizzy, as if in a trance, he stared at her. Silent.

Buffy frowned. “Spike?”

Clearing his throat, he blinked rapidly. “Right. Sparring. Let's have at it.”

Buffy smiled again and practically skipped off to the training room.

~~~~~*~~~~~

The three men stared at the mad man pacing in front of them. Glancing at each other, they stayed silent. They were just run-of-the-mill, everyday goons. Petty thieves. This guy obviously was a higher-up. He had power. They weren't certain what exactly he ran, but they knew instinctively not to mess with him.

They jerked to attention as he stopped in front of them, folding his arms across his chest.

“Are we clear?” he asked.

They nodded, mute.

Taking a step closer, he leaned towards them. “I said...are we clear?” he repeated.

“Y-yes sir. Clear,” Tommy replied.

Jerking his head towards the door, the man said, “Good. Now get out.”

The men stumbled, trying to get out as quick as possible.

As the door shut, Dak stepped out of the shadows. “Everything is in order?”

His companion nodded. “Have everything ready. They'll be running fast.”

Dak nodded his consent silently and left the room out the back door.

The man sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. Pulling on it slightly, he laughed. “Let's see what you've got.”

He exited the room as if he'd never been.

~~~*~~~~

Buffy sighed as she entered the house. Training had finally worn her out. She hissed as she hung up her jacket. That rabbit punch to the back still stung.

“Oh you're finally home.”

Buffy looked over her shoulder as her mom stepped out of the living room, where the TV was softly playing the evening news. Smiling at her softly, she sighed. “Yeah. How's your evening been?”

Joyce smiled. “Good. My orders finally made it in on time.”

Buffy smiled and nodded. “That's good. Well, I'm going to take a shower before dinner.”

Joyce turned away and then looked back. “Ok. But...have you seen your sister?”

Buffy froze on the stairs and spun around on her heels. Stomping back down the steps, she asked, “What do you mean? She was supposed to come home hours ago!”

Joyce shrugged. “She didn't show. I thought she was with you.”

Buffy worried her bottom lip and started to pace. “Have you called the guys? What about the shop?”

Joyce slowly shook her head. “No. I didn't see the reason to call. What time did you send her home?”

Buffy looked out at the darkening sky. “I dunno. She was leaving the shop around four I guess.”

Joyce folded her arms across her chest. “And you didn't think to walk her? Or maybe call me to tell me she was on her way home?”

Buffy threw up her hands. “Well it was daylight! She said she'd be fine!”

Joyce picked up the phone and sent a disapproving look to her oldest. “I'm going to call around. You go look.”

Buffy grabbed her jacket back up and pulled open the door. “Call you in thirty!,” she called before it slammed shut.

~~~~*~~~~

Dawn groaned slightly as the pounding in her head woke her up. Blinking her eyes against the fuzziness, she turned her head slightly and blinked again as a drop of blood dripped into her left eye. She moved to wipe it away and noted that her hands were tied behind her back. Looking around, she slowly struggled to her feet to try to get the numbness out of her arms. She lightly wiggled and noted that she was in a dark room, tied to a bracket mounted to the wall. Biting her bottom lip, she tried to rub the ropes against the metal, trying to loosen the ties.

What had happened? One minute she'd been walking down the street, contemplating calling out for pizza when she got home and then there'd been a sharp pain to the back of her head, then nothing.

Struggling against the ropes, she groaned and wanted to stomp her foot as she only ended up hurting her wrists more. Well that didn't help. As she tried to figure out a way to turn around and pull against the restraints, a door opened. Dawn groaned as a light hit her in the eyes, blinding her.

“H-hello? Who's there?” she asked, squinting away from the light.

“Humans are so weak. So breakable.”

She tried to shuffle away as a large body approached her. She couldn't really make out anything because blood was currently running into her left eye. That also wasn't helping. Shaking her head in frustration, she tried to peer past the light. She tried to scramble away as she felt a large, scaly hand touch her face. She almost gagged as his hand left her face and she heard licking sounds. He was licking her blood off his hand! She hoped he got sick!

“Breakable but so delicious,” he murmured, chuckling.

Dawn struggled to get away as another figure stepped into the doorway.

The large man stepped away. “Are you sure this human will be looked for?” he asked. He almost sounded irritated. Apparently the other person had answered because he grunted and took a step back. He touched her face again, causing Dawn to whimper. “Maybe just a little taste before--”

He grunted as Dawn kicked at his knees, causing him to stumble away. “Get away from me!” she yelled.

“Dak.”

Dawn paused as that one word was spoken. No, it couldn't be him! Her mind rushed over the past couple of months. They'd searched for the demon everywhere. He'd simply disappeared. Buffy had just assumed that he'd skipped town, looking for refuge or had just plain wimped out of the fight. But...he was here....with reinforcements. This was bad. Very, very bad.

As she tried to place the voice who'd spoke, the man in question crouched down in front of her. Grabbing the light from the demon, she lost her breath as the man shined the light on his own face. An eerie, sick smile was spread across the once handsome face. His hair was longer but she could tell it was him. Shaking her head, she blinked her eyes again, hoping she was wrong. “No,” she whispered.

He chuckled. “Hey kid.”