Author's Chapter Notes:
i think this is the best chapter i've written in a while! i hope ya'll like!
“So do you think you've had enough?”

Dawn jerked out of her dazed snooze and gritted her teeth. Rocking her body slightly back and forth, she tried to relieve her tired, sore, stiff muscles. She'd been crumpled in her musty little corner for what seemed like days. As she shifted her legs, she held back a gasp of pain as her left broken ankle moved.

Glaring up at her once friend through oily, stringy hair, she spat at his feet.

He chuckled and stepped closer. Dawn tensed as he suddenly grabbed her broken, abused ankle and pulled. He laughed as she screamed and swung at him with her fists.

Dropping her leg, he giggled again and grabbed her hair. Forcing her head back, she grimaced as he got in her face. “Just say the word and I'll wrap that ankle like a present. If you don't tell me what I need to know, then I'll let my buddy Dak in for a snack.” Sighing, he knelt in front of her and released her hair.

Dawn glared at him from beneath her hair, silent.

“Well kid...you going to tell me or not?”

“I don't know what you want to know,” she whispered.

He shook his head and snapped his fingers. “Do you think you'll taste like chicken? Dak seems to think you will.”

Dawn sniffed and leaned away from him. “I do know one thing though.”

He stared at her, silent and expectant.

Dawn grinned and then giggled. “My sister is going to kill you.”

He sighed and stood again slowly. He stared down at her, then turned away. Dawn never saw the boot to the face coming. Her head snapped back against the wall, knocking her out. Her captor stared down at her as blood began dripping from her nose.

“Can't find what isn't here.”

He exited the room as if he were a ghost.

*~~~~~*

Four days. It had been four days since Dawn had disappeared. After banging on every door she knew (and some she didn't), Buffy was exhausted. Mentally and physically. Their mom had filed a missing person's report and was currently out passing out fliers. Xander, Anya, and Willow were scouring the streets everyday. None of her friends had seen her. The school was alerted to Dawn's disappearance but they had nothing to report either.

Spike was currently hitting the underground demon haunts. Hitting the tunnels where the demons hid out. Willy's. Anyplace he could think of. Besides upsetting the demon world and sporting the black eyes to prove it, he'd so far found nothing.

As of that moment, Buffy was going through her sister's room. Looking for any scrap of paper that showed where she could've went. Any sign of who took her. Something.

She'd basically destroyed the room. Drawers, books, and clothes were flung every which way. Her sister, being the neat freak she was, was going to be pissed when she got back.

If she got back....

Shaking her head, Buffy ran her fingers through her hair and exhaled loudly. Sinking down on her sister's bed, she just couldn't figure it out. How did someone vanish into thin air? In broad daylight? Someone had to have seen something. It just didn't make sense.

“Buffy!” The front door slammed shut.

“Dawn's room!” she called. She waited, tapping her foot impatiently, as Xander came rushing up the stairs.

“Ow ya git! Don't push me!”

“Well move out of my way!”

“Break ya bloody neck, I will!”

Glancing towards Dawn's windows, she saw that they were still tacked shut. No worries there. The two men fighting up the stairs were another case all together.

She almost smiled as a huffing and puffing Xander came to a stop at Dawn's door. Spike shrugged his blanket off and folded it under his arm. Rolling his eyes at the carpenter, he went into the bedroom and sat beside Buffy.

“Find anything?” she asked.

Spike sighed and shook his head. “Found all the demon snitches I could. They didn't know squat. And those were the ones I got to talk. The others...” He trailed off, waving his hand. Touching his newly split lip, he pursed his lips and shook his head. “The others just turned away and laughed.”

“Laughed?” she asked softly.

“Dead now.” Buffy raised eyebrows at him. Spike shrugged. “Pissed me off.” Buffy gave him a small smile and looked to Xander.

Xander shook his head and looked around Dawn's room. “I didn't find anything either. Whoever took her was quick about it...and quiet. Although I did ask Spike if he could maybe sniff her out but he refused.” Xander cut his eyes at Spike and frowned.

Spike's eyebrows furrowed to his hairline. “Yeah, and I told ya that I wasn't a bloody bloodhound! A scent only lasts so long! It's been four days!”

“Well you could've tried!” exclaimed Xander.

“You try it, ya git! It's not that easy! Plus, daylight remember!” shot back Spike, glaring.

“Guys! Can we focus please? We need to find Dawn! Not argue like kids!” interrupted Buffy. Throwing her hands up, she lightly bounced on the bed.

“He's the kid,” muttered Spike.

“Baby,” retorted Xander.

Buffy rolled her eyes as the two men glared each other down. As she bounced again, she felt something solid beneath her. Frowning, she did it again. Bouncing up and down dramatically, she felt under her and bounced again.

Both men stopped glaring and looked at her.

Spike watched her bounce and leered softly. His eyes followed her. Up. Down. Up. Down.

Xander watched her and spread his hands in confusion. “Uh...Buffster, what ya doin?”

“I feel something,” she muttered. She bounced again.

Spike bit his bottom lip to stop his immediate reply. It would surely earn him a smack from someone.

Smack!

Buffy's hand flew so fast, he didn't see it coming. He scowled at her and rubbed the back of his head.

“Shut up Spike,” she stated.

“Oi! I didn't say anything!” he protested.

Buffy rolled her eyes at him. “I know what you were thinking.”

Spike glanced at Xander and saw him give him a smart look. Rolling his eyes at him, he huffed as Buffy suddenly pushed him off the bed.

Standing beside Xander, they watched as Buffy got up and picked up Dawn's mattress. “Totally deserved that smack,” muttered Xander.

“I'll smack you if you don't shut up,” commented Buffy.

Spike smirked at him.

“Shut up Spike,” stated Buffy.

Xander smirked back at him and laughed silently.

“Eyes in the back of her bleeding head,” groused Spike.

Buffy ignored the childish men as she felt the lining of the box spring. There, slid right under the lining was a book. Grasping it, she jerked it out and dropped the mattress back down.

Her hands trembled as she turned the book over in her hands. It was different from her sister's other diaries. Instead of the usual cartoon characters and flowers on the cover, it was plain black. There was a rubber band around it to keep it closed.

Shooting the guys a confused glance, she slowly drew the rubber band off and slowly opened the slim book. Her eyes widened at the writings inside.

'Saw Riley today. Totally weird. He's up to something. Driving a truck that looked totally brand new. Tag GHN 6532 Doesn't belong to him. It's wiped clean.'

'Saw Riley again today. He was watching the store. Is he stalking my sister? He looks like crap. Saw him radio someone and leave. Looks suspicious.'

'Was riding to the mall with Spike. Saw Riley at a red light. He was hanging around some house on Crawford St. A couple of creeps were coming in and out. Didn't look Initiative.'

There was entry upon entry about Riley. Chills went up Buffy's spine as she flipped the pages. Had Dawn been playing detective on Riley? Buffy hadn't seen Riley since she'd kicked him out but Dawn apparently had.

“Guys, I know who took her,” she whispered.

Flipping to the last entry, Buffy's eyes widened as she saw what Dawn had discovered.

“Who?” growled Spike.

Xander folded his arms, glaring.

Buffy took a deep breath and passed the book to Spike. “Riley,” she whispered.

*~~~~~*

“So do you think you've had enough?”

Dawn's left eye was too swollen to open properly. She was also pretty sure that her nose was broken. That made up three breaks so far. Nose, arm, ankle. Head to toe breakage. She almost giggled at the thought.

“Well kid, had enough?” Riley asked again.

At that moment, Dawn was laying face down on the floor, not moving. Riley had kicked and beat her so many times, she'd lost count. Groaning softly, she grunted as Riley roughly rolled her onto her back. Maybe that was four breaks. Her ribs hurt pretty bad.

Riley chuckled and leaned over her. “So, you going to tell me what I need to know?”

Dawn was done, she'd had enough. She wasn't strong like her sister. Or Spike. She'd tried to be but she wasn't supernatural. She was plain old Dawn Summers. Kid sis to the Slayer.

“I know...I know what you want,” she whispered.

Riley sighed and leaned down to sit her up. Kneeling in front of her, he pushed up his sleeves. There Dawn saw the bite marks from the vampires. One was still bleeding.

“So, what have you told that bitch of a sister? What does she know about me?”

Taking a deep breath, Dawn latched onto his bleeding arm.

“Let foes touch me not!” she whispered in Latin.

Riley flew away from her corner, landing on his back in the dust. Groaning, he sat up and glared at Dawn. “What the hell was that?” he muttered. Getting to his feet, he came back toward her. Dawn simply stared at him and smiled. Reaching out to her, he gasped as he was repelled again. Pushing his hand against the barrier, he grimaced as an electrical charge snapped him.

“I know that I was taught more than one way of self-defense.” Dawn smiled serenely at him and pushed her hair back. “You forget who my family is,” she testified.

Riley glared at her and she stared him down. “This isn't over,” he growled and stomped from the room.

Dawn laughed honestly for the first time as he slammed the door. Pushing her hair back, she sighed. “Yep. It's not over.”


Chapter End Notes:
so, did u like? does it make you wanna go "ooh"? :) lol let me know!