Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm trying to get some fluffy before I get too serious. tell me if it sucks!!!
"So, you think Dawn has a crush on Spike?" asked Xander, reaching for another piece of pizza. The group was hanging out at Xander's for dinner.

"I don't know. I've just never seen her defend him before. Kind of made me feel ashamed," replied Buffy. She picked at her pizza and set her plate down.

"I could totally see that happening. Spike is just the right guy for a girl like Dawn to have a crush on. He's older, cooler, and more expeirenced than any guy she knows. And let's not rule out the accent. That always wins a girl over," chimed Anya.

"An, sweetheart, don't pimp out Spike. I mean, I remember when Dawn had a crush on me. It was awkward. She couldn't really speak to me. I couldn't talk to her. It was great. Once we got past that stage..." he looked around as the women stared at him, smiling. "...It was like it never happened. I was forgotten. Back to same. old. Xander." Frowning, he picked at his shirt. "It was great," he muttered.

"Aww, Xander. Are you feeling left out?" asked Willow. "Don't forget. I went through a big 'I Heart Xander' faze myself. It was a big couple of years."

Xander rolled his eyes. "Yeah. Then you discovered women and jumped ship. Lot of confidence on my side here."

"I'd rather say I joined the cause," muttered Willow.

"Oz isn't jumping for joy either," added Buffy.

"You should feel great Xander. You get to go to bed with a hot woman every night. Have sex whenever you want. You should feel like the greatest man in the world!" exclaimed Anya.

"Instead you're jealous of a two hundred year old impotent vampire who can't bite anyone, hurt anyone....basically you're jealous of the worst vampire in the world," supplied Willow.

Buffy bit back a giggle and rolled her eyes.

"Hey thanks guys! I feel better! Now if I could just get his six-pack abs and cool style, I'll be set!" Xander gave them a cheesy smile and jumped up off the couch.

As he left, Willow leaned towards Buffy whispering "How are you doing?"

Buffy shrugged. "I don't know. Spike's always been Spike. He's rude and intrusive. Always getting in the way. Swaggering around here like he owns the place. Sometimes I can't stand him. And sometimes..."

"You know what I'm missing? A gimic! I mean, look at Spike. What do you think makes him look so cool?" asked Xander, coming back from the kitchen.

The women stared at him with a 'duh' expression.

"Besides that!" said Xander. The women looked at each other and shrugged. Sitting down between Willow and Anya, he sighed. "Spike's unholy evil! It's not fair to waste all that coolness on him!"

"I think this is the begining of a mid-life crisis," said Anya. "I say let's pull out the men and car magazines. I know that always makes me feel better."

"Me too", chimed Willow. Buffy and Xander stared at her. "Well-may-maybe not the car ones but I know that 'Playboy' has given me plenty of advice over the years."

"Like?" inquired Buffy, smiling.

"Like-what to buy Tara for Christmas and---shut up!" Fanning her face, she turned away to the TV.

"So Buffy, what's Dawn doing right now?" asked Xander.

"Studying."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike ducked as Dawn threw a swing his way. "So your sis thinks you have the hots for me."

Dawn stopped mid-strike and busted out laughing.

"Hey!"

Dawn smacked his arm. "It's always funny to see you act like a total dork."

Spike sneered. "I am NOT a dork. That's Xander's M.O. And why do you think that's funny?"

Dawn rolled her eyes and dropped back into fighting stance. "'Cuz everyone knows that you have the hots for Buffy. The fact that she's even thinking this just shows how blind she is."

Spike sighed and kicked at her. "Yeah well, never said your sis was the brightest in the box."

Dawn put up her hands and reached for her water bottle. "Then why do you even bother? I mean...you're in love with her, I KNOW she has some sort of feelings for you...it's just...you two are too angsty to do anything about it. Why don't you just kiss her, tell her you love her, and get on with your lives."

Spike chuckled and threw her a towel. "'Coz Niblet. The problem with that happy ending is that I've already done that. She turned me down. End of story. She doesn't want me."

She stared at him and frowned. "Want me to kick her."

Spike smiled at her. "You know Pet, you're probably the best thing that's come into my life thus far."

"Not counting my sister?"

Spike threw an arm around her shoulders, drawing her out into the store. "Not included in the slightest."

Coming out from behind the desk, Giles hurridly approached Spike. "Spike, if I could please have a moment of your time?"

Rolling his eyes, Spike veered away from Dawn. "What Ripper?"

Taking off his glasses, he cleaned them absently. "Spike I was wondering...have you told Buffy anything regarding this new information?"

Spike smiled at Dawn as she handed him his coat. "Sorry Rupert. Can't say that I have. Not much to tell really. New bad. Buffy's the target. Haven't reached Sunnydale yet. All the info I know...now, if you'll excuse me..." Flicking his fingers at the watcher, he led Dawn out the door.

"Just where do you think you're going?" exclaimed Giles.

"If you did mind, not that I care, I was going to take Dawn home. Like a responsible gent should." Dawn giggled on her way out the door.

"I never would've held you for a gentleman Spike," sighed Giles.

"There's a lot you don't know about me Watcher. Try studying up eh?"

~~~~~~~~~~

"So how was studying?" asked Joyce, coming down the stairs.

"Good. Studied real hard,"replied Dawn, running past her.

Spike smirked at her hasty exit. Clapping his hands together, he smiled at Joyce and turned towards the door.

"You guys didn't study did you?" Joyce folded her arms and gazed at Spike from the base of the steps.

Spike's mouth opened then closed. "Uh, yes ma'am we did! History. Sciences. The whole lot."

"No you didn't."

"Ah, uh, yes we did." Spike fidgeted with his coat.

"Dawn didn't bring any books home." Joyce smiled as all the wind went out of him. "You know Spike, you're a terrible liar. Now what were you really doing?"

Spike put on an innocent face. "Never claimed to be good at it. Nothing 'tis all. We were at 'The Magic Box', sparing."

Joyce cocked her head. "But you said you'd help her study too."

He nodded eagerly. "Right. Must of forgot. But honestly, does she really need the books when she has one right here?" He gestured to himself.

She frowned. "Oh, that's right. You were alive during the Trojan Wars."

His eyebrow went up at that. "No need to be insulting luv. I'm not that old."

Firmly, she replied, "I want her studying. With books. It can be done before or after her training but it needs to be done. She can't afford to fail this class." Giving him a second look she added, "Anything after the eighteenth century and you can teach her yourself."

Spike chuckled and nodded. "Right. Well, I guess I'll be off then."

Joyce stopped him with a touch on his arm. "Before you go, would you like some cocoa? Buffy's going to be home soon and I would love to talk about some antiques we just got into the store."

Following in her wake, Spike smiled. "You do know the way to a man's heart Mrs. Summers."