Author's Chapter Notes:
i think it's coming along better! tell me what you think!
"So Spike, tell me about this new demon."

Spike turned mid-strike and took Dawn's foot to the stomach. Doubling over he held up his hand for her to stop. Dawn cringed as he groaned and Buffy nodded approvingly.

"Bloody hell," he groaned. "Weakling you're not." Rubbing his stomach he grimaced. Maybe he needed to switch blood. Or take away Dawn's super vitamins. All he knew is Niblet was pulling 'Buffy' hits. Giving Buffy a glare, he swiped his shirt off the floor. Shrugging in on, he padded over to the pommel and hopped on it. Holding the bars for balance, he grinned. "You think of our bargain?"

Ushering Dawn out, much to her protest, Buffy shut the door. Crossing her arms, she took a rigid stance. "How about this for a bargain? You tell me what I need to know and I won't kick your ass."

Spike gazed up at the ceiling, thinking. Tucking his tongue to the roof of his mouth, he smiled. Shaking his head, he said, "No go Pet. I want proper compensation. Can't give money. Already got your mums."

"Doesn't hurt to have more."

"Yeah, but there's no telling how long these sessions will last. So I'm set as of now. How 'bout this? You go out with me tonight and I'll tell you then."

Buffy's eyes almost popped out. "A DATE? You want a DATE?"

Spike squinted his eyes and frowned. "Wouldn't call it a date persay. More like a meeting...at night."

Buffy grimaced. "That would be a date Spike." Tapping her foot on the floor she shifted restlessly. "I should've known. I should've known you'd pull this crap. Nothing's ever easy with you!"

"Touche love. You're not exactly easy to deal with yourself. Need I remind you of the last three years? You pick at a sore till it bleeds."

"And you don't? Remember kidnapping my friends to get your crazy-loon girlfriend back? Don't act like you don't pick either. Obsessive is more your call!"

Smirking, he slid off the his seat and stalked towards her. "More like in love. I loved Dru. I love you."

Buffy scoffed and rolled her eyes. "More like love getting beat down."

Holding up his hand in protest, he growled. "DON'T do that! Don't push it off like I don't. You think I'd waste my time on a young bint like you if I didn't have feelings? You think I wouldn't fly out of here in a second if I didn't care?"

Buffy looked at him patiently. It was better to let Spike talk when he got emotional. Let him run himself out. "And what about Dawn?"

Running a hand through his hair, he sighed. "Dawn's different. I don't feel for her the way I do for you. You know that. Dawn's the friend I never had. I cherish that. But you..."

"Me?"she prompted.

"You're the girl I never wanted."

Buffy's eyes widened. She didn't want to admit it but that hurt. After all she'd been through with Angel she'd rather be wanted than thrown away. Even by Spike. Angel hadn't wanted her in the end. Correction. Angel couldn't want her in the end. She knew now that it couldn't have worked. But it still hurt. "Okay. Ow."

Spike's scarred eyebrow shot up. "Excuse me? I hurt your feelings? I don't understand that. You say I obsesse over you but when I say I never wanted you, you say "ow"!"

"Well saying something like that to a girl hurts!" Buffy almost hit him in frustration.

Spike pinched the bridge of his nose. "You're the type of girl I always swore away from when I was human! Flighty. Vain. Materialistic. The diamond of the first water."

Buffy's face screwed up in confusion. "The what of the what what?"

Spike chuckled and smiled down at her. "That's why I love you. That just means that you're the girl that every guy wants and every girl wants to be."

Buffy gave a small coy grin. "Well I do try to be thrifty and fashionable."

"Yeah, and when I was human women like you would have nothing to do with me. They shrugged me aside for more distinguished men. I was beneath them." Giving her a pointed look, he continued, "So yeah, pointless love...that's my thing. Had it when I was alive, had it with Dru, now you...can't seem to help myself."

Buffy gave him an embarrassed glance as she fiddled with her shirt sleeves. She really wanted to say she was sorry. But it just wouldn't come. "Fine," she whispered.

Spike just stared. "Fine. Fine what?"

She sighed. "Fine. We can go out tonight. You can help me patrol and give me this info that is oh so important."

Spike gave her a little smile. "It'd be an honor Pet." He stepped past her to the door. "Bring snacks. I'll be a bit peckish."

Buffy growled. "And he's back."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What the hell Spike?" Buffy grimaced as she dusted the vamp dust off her jeans. Spike was leaning against a tombstone, sucking on a bag of blood.

"What? You said you had it!" Shrugging his demon away, he threw the empty bag in the grocery bag with all the rest.

"Yeah! That was before two of his friends showed up!" Adjusting her sweater, she groaned as she found a rip in it. And brand new too! Glaring at Spike, she stalked off.

"'ey! It's not my fault! You said you had it! All you had to do was ask for help." He loped up beside her, swinging his bag of goodies. Irritated, Buffy grabbed it and threw it away from him. Spike stopped and stared. Pointing towards it, he said "Go get it!"

Wrinkling her nose, she stalked off again. "I'm not your dog! And if you're not going to help me, you don't get goodies. Besides, we've been out here for two hours and you haven't told me squat. You just keep digging into that damn bag!"

Glaring at her, he jogged over and picked it up. Stalking up behind her, he russeled it loudly just to get on her nerves. Smirking, he watched as she sped up. So did he.

Suddenly, she stopped and swung towards him. "Spike I swear to God! If you don't stop, I am going to stake you!"

"Pfft!" He rolled his eyes. He jumped back though, when she pulled out her stake, stepping towards him. "Okay! Bloody hell Slayer, do you need a Midol or something? Take it easy."

Clenching her teeth, she said,"No I don't need a Midol!"

Spike thumbed his nose. "Actually, I know you don't. Just joshin'. Lighten up."

Buffy looked at night sky and sighed. Loudly. With a groan. "Spiiiiike! Were you this annoying as a human? Because if you were, I can see how you got all poncey!" Spike frowned at her. "Just tell me what I need to know!"

Spike crossed his arms. "No. You're being mean."

Advancing towards him, she practically yelled, "And you're being a pain in the ass! My ass! Just drop the damn act and tell me what I need to know!"

Sneering, Spike dropped his bag and went nose to nose. "You want to know? You really want to know?"

Buffy almost grabbed her hair. "YES! I WANT TO KNOW!"

Smiling sarcastically, he said, "Okay...Lurthan."

Buffy stepped back. "Lurthan? Who or what the heck is Lurthan?"

Picking up his bag, he flicked his fingers up. "Ta Pet."

Buffy watched as he walked away. "Wait! Spell that please! Spike!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"So he didn't say anything else?" asked Giles tiredly.

Buffy shook her head. "No. He just said something about Lutherian, or was it Luther...maybe it was--"

Giles held up his hand. "Please. Stop. Did he at least spell it for you?" Buffy shook her head. "Can you sound it out?"

Buffy squinted and looked up, thinking. "I think it was Loo-R-than. Like Nathan. But just the 'than'. Does it help?"

Giles sighed and rubbed his eyes. Sometimes he wished...."If that's all we have to go on, I'll go off your grand pronounciation."

"Well we were kind of arguing at the time. I wasn't exactly listening to his vowels. And you know, maybe his accent threw it off. Made it sound different." Buffy felt like scuffing her foot on the floor, like a child in trouble.

Giles stared at her curiously. "Buffy, please go home and get some rest. We'll deal with this later." He watched as Buffy rushed out of the apartment and sighed as he locked the door.

Glancing at his watch, he saw that it was three in the morning. Grumbling, he turned out the lights and returned to bed. He'd deal with Buffy in the morning.