Author's Chapter Notes:
this new little development hit me as i was rereading my summary. hope u like!
Buffy sighed as she watched Dawn trickle blood into Spike's mouth. The vamp was so abused, he couldn't even vamp! For the past day or so, Spike went in and out of consiousness. The healing process was going slowly and it was making the Summers women impatient. They expected him to bounce back right away, what with the vampire healing and all, but Spike still hadn't jumped up yet. He was still barely moving. His face and body was still one massive bruise. At least they got his arms relocated.

That had been a bitch! While Buffy held him down, Xander and Giles had twisted and turned his arms until they were back in their proper places. Even hours later, Spike was still swearing vengeance and bloodshed. She believed he even cried at one point but kept that to herself. It seemed somehow wrong to bring that to anyone's attention.

"Bloody hell Dawn!"

Buffy turned from the window to see Dawn mopping up the spilled blood from around Spike's neck. It had dribbled down the side of his face to the pillow beside his head. Dawn, looking frustrated and near tears, rapidly wiped up the fluid.

"I'm sorry!" she cried. Buffy approached her to help but was waved off. "I can do it. Quit trying to help! You're not doing anything!" Glaring at her sister, Dawn marched out the room, closing the door with a bang.

"Well....you know, I wonder if your mum would mind fixing me some wings," mused Spike.

Buffy sniggered and shook her head. "Yeah, like that would go well. One of us would have to feed you and I doubt Dawn's up the challenge."

Spike sighed and shifted on the bed, trying to get comfortable. "Go easy on the girl. She's just trying to help."

"Yeah, well you yelling at her isn't helping her any!"

"Well she seems to be the only one helping me lately!" Spike jerked upwards without thinking and fell back with a deep groan.

"What the hell are you doing?" Buffy glared at him as he tried to move again.

"I'm getting the hell out of here before me and you have a go!" Spike snarled at her, trying to roll over onto his side.

Buffy reached his side and held him down with one hand. "Are you an idiot? You'll just make yourself worse!"

Spike scoffed and brushed off her hands. "Oh like you care! I'll just go back to my crypt and get out of everyone's bleedin' hair!"

"Spike," she rebuked softly.

Spike sighed and groaned again. He let her roll him back over onto his back and closed his eyes, breathing harshly. He jerked as Buffy softly trailed her fingertips down the side of his face and then softly touched his hair. Opening his eyes, he gazed into her tender eyes. Buffy leaned closer to him, not taking her eyes off of his. "Buffy...luv...what are you doing?" he whispered.

"Yes Buffy. What the hell are you doing?" snapped a voice from the doorway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy couldn't believe it. She just couldn't believe it. He was back. She hadn't seen him for several weeks and then he just shows back up without any notice or anything. She paced her bedroom as she heard him stalk down the hall. She always knew that she'd see him again but not like this. Not during that moment with Spike. It was a little twisted somehow.

Her gut clenched as she heard his knock on the door. It was always percise and sharp. A contrast from how he portrayed himself. He always made himself seem laid back and easy going. Plain even. But Buffy knew better. He hid a secret just like she did. Probably not as life altering but a secret none the less. They connected in little ways that normal people didn't see. They might seem like 'Ken and Barbie' but Buffy knew better. Everything wasn't always what it seemed.

Wiping her hands on her jeans as he knocked again, Buffy reached the door and jerked it open.

"We need to talk."

"Hi Riley."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dawn jumped as she heard another bang come from Buffy's room. With her mother being at the gallery, Willow being on campus, and Xander at work, Dawn had the house pretty much to herself. With the exception of one blond vampire of course. He still occupied her bed and had for the past two days. It was almost eerie to see him lying in her bed, surrounded by Blink 182 and Avril Lavinge posters. Not to mention her old *Nsync posters. Comparing Spike to Justin Timberlake or JC Chasez was almost laughable. Spike had actually growled last night when she commented that he and Justin had the same curly hair.

Spike threatened to shave that ponce's head if Dawn didn't shut her gob. Dawn promptly laughed and moved on to comparing his and JC's cheekbones. She'd actually thought he was gonna cry for a minute.

She sighed as she heard the arguing coming from down the hall. She'd heard bits and pieces of the fight. Hostile seventeen, Initiative, dangerous, blah, blah, blah. Same old crap, different day. Blowing on the warm cup of blood in her hand, she slightly nudged her door open and looked in on Spike. He was so still that it still scared her but he had assured her that he was fine.

"How's Clash of the Titans going?"

Dawn smiled as Spike's deep voice echoed through the room. "I think it's into overtime."

Spike snorted and slowly tented his knees up under the blanket. "Stupid git. I would've thrown him out the window by now."

A sudden crash sounded and they both tensed up.

"I want this bloody chip out of my head."

Dawn smirked at him and he shrugged. "Worth a shot." Shaking her head, she sat on the bed beside him and handed him the mug of warm blood.

"Do you think she hurt him?" egged on Spike.

Dawn giggled and shrugged. "I just hope they're not fighting by the time Mom gets home."

Spike chuckled darkly. "Yeah, I'd like to see Captian Cardboard there take on two Summers women! There'd be nothing left!"

"Hey! What about me?" The twinkle in her eye took the sting out of her anger.

"You can bite his ankels." Spike quickly moved the cup out of the way as Dawn lunged at him. "'ey! Oi! Little Bit! Not the hair! Watch the hair!"

Dawn giggled menacily as she mussed and twisted his curls till they were standing on end. By the time she was done, he looked like he'd been shocked.

Spike sat there, staring deeply into his cup and he grumbled. "Bloody Summers women. Can't stand the lot of ya. Leavin' town first chance I get. Rather'd be in hell than bloody boyband land."

Dawn lightly kissed the top of his head and giggled again as he jerked away.

"Stay the hell away from me you bint! Should've bit you the first chance I got!"

"What's going on here?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After being properly chastized by Buffy for disturbing their now pissed off patient, Dawn was sent off to order dinner. Riley glared at Spike over Buffy's shoulder as Buffy checked to see how he was doing. Glaring at Riley over Buffy's shoulder, Spike flipped him off English style.

He looked confused.

Spike bit back a laugh as Riley looked down at his own hand, wondering what the hell Spike had meant. He swore messing with Farmboy was just too much fun. Pulling back a straight face as Buffy looked at him, he noted the twinkle in her eye. She'd seen had she? Well he didn't really bloody care. Let her see. Buffy knew how he felt and and as far as he was concerned.....

Let the best bloke win!