Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm still working on the "Bad" of the story but it's coming along. Sorry but I just had to bring Joyce in. Loved her too much not too. I think the characters flow better in this ch. anyway. And I SWEAR more exciting things will happen. as i said, i'm working on the SL as i go. PLEASE COMMENT!
"So Buffy, how was the mall?" asked Joyce. Buffy ushered Dawn into the living room where their mother was sorting through the mail. The ride from the mall had been quiet. Almost disturbing really. She had almost wished for a demon.

"It was good," she sighed, holding up the shopping bags.

"She killed a demon in the food court," supplied Dawn. Buffy shot her a warning glare and Dawn just shrugged. "What? You did! And it was big! And nasty! And it had horns!"

Sighing, Joyce laid the mail down on the table. "Buffy you know, I really wish you wouldn't slay around your sister. It can't be healthy for her mentally."

"It was so cool! Buffy broke it's neck with a chain!" Dawn giggled and went into the kitchen. Joyce gave Buffy a pointed glare.

"What? It wasn't my fault! The thing was attacking a woman! In broad daylight!" Setting the bags down, Buffy followed her sister. "What does that anyway? It's a demon! It should've waited until dark like every other demon around here."

Dawn sat down at the counter with cookies. "Maybe it wanted to be special."

Sighing, Joyce picked up a cookie. "All that aside, I really wish that the slaying could be minimum around your sister. She could start getting ideas."

"Oh! Could I carry a weapon?" She looked back and forth between Buffy and her mother hopefully.

Smirking at her mother, Buffy sat down. "Like that?" Shaking her head, she said "No Dawn, I don't think Mom would like that. You could get hurt."

"I think it would be good for her to protect herself." Joyce smiled at Dawn, biting into another cookie.

"Okay, is this bizarro world? First you don't want her around any violence and now she can carry a weapon!" Shaking her head, she grabbed the milk out of the fridge.

"I'm not saying she should carry a weapon...what I'm saying is that she's getting older and she should learn to protect herself. Who better to teach her than you?"

Dawn groaned. "I don't want to learn from her! She's no fun! She gets mean when she teaches."

"Hey!" Setting her sister's milk on the counter, she nudged her shoulder.

"See." Dawn rolled her eyes and sipped her milk. Wiping her mouth, she jumped in her chair. "Oh! Could Spike teach me?!"

"NO!" Glaring over Dawn's head, she shook her head at her mother.

"I don't see why not." Smiling, she stroked Dawn's hair.

"Mom!"

"Buffy, Dawn likes Spike. And for that matter, so do I. Let's be honest, he's nice to have around when something bad happens." Standing up, Joyce set her cup in the sink. Smiling at Buffy, she said, "All I'm saying is this: You're so busy with the slaying and research that sometimes Dawn gets overlooked. She likes hanging out with your friends and maybe something good should come of it. A woman needs to learn to protect herself and what better way to learn than from someone she likes and trusts."

"She likes and trusts me!"

Dawn stood as well. "Yeah but you don't instruct. You direct. And you make it boring. Spike's fun to be around!"

Buffy groaned and closed her eyes. "Lord help me. Does no one remember that Spike is EVIL!?"

Dawn shrugged. "Yeah. But he's also got the chip that allows him to bite no one and he likes me! And mom! The only one he doesn't seem to get along with is you!"

"You two do seem to fight an awful lot Buffy. And if you really think about it, there are evil people everywhere. Look at the prison system. The murderers in there have souls and look at all the evil things they've done. Don't single Spike out just because you don't like him." Dawn gave Buffy a triumphant smile and walked out of the kitchen.

"Mom, you can NOT be serious about letting her around Spike! It could get her killed."

"Having her around you could get her killed; so how can he be any different? I'm not saying take her out and let her slay some vampires. I'm saying let her learn at the 'Magic Box'. You guys hang out there all the time. While you train, Spike could teach Dawn some moves. It's that simple."

Sighing, Buffy sat her own cup in the sink. "Fine. I can't fight you on this. I'll tell Spike about it. See what he says. But if she gets hurt...."

"If she gets hurt, I'll deal with it. Maybe I'll have a talk with Spike myself." Walking past Buffy, she headed towards the stairs.

"Mom I'll deal with it!" Buffy hurried towards the stairs as her mom reached the top. "Mom!"

"It's okay Buffy. I can deal with Spike," her mom called down.

Buffy grabbed her hair in frustration. What was going on with her family?!

~~~~~~~~
"You want me to what?" exclaimed Spike.

"I want you to teach Dawn how to fight," stated Joyce.

"Why? She has big sis' around her all the time. Let her teach her," Spike smirked. He bet that this stuck in Buffy's craw. Matter of fact, it sort of stuck in his. It threw him for a loop that the slayer's mum was even in his home.

"Because Dawn trusts and likes you. As a matter of fact, so do I. I know you won't let anything bad happen to Dawn."

Yep, he knew it really pissed Buffy off.

"'K, now I'm not saying that I don't like the girl but I am a vampire. I could teach her all kinds of evil things. Like....how to hotwire cars and what have you. I could be a real bad influence on the girl. You sure you want that around?"

Joyce frowned and glared at him. "I'll pay you. Like a real teacher. Twenty dollars a session. That way if anything bad happens, I'll deal with it myself." Looking around his crypt, she frowned. "Wasn't it nicer last time? What happened?"

Spike looked around and sighed. "Oh. Right. Well Buffy trashed it last time she was here. We had a big go-round. Lot of things got broke."

Joyce shook her head and tutted. "Well, come by the house tonight. We can have dinner and decide how to work this out. I know Dawn will like you there." She gave the place another glance. "I swear, the way you two fight, you might as well get married!"

Spike's eyes widened in alarm. "Oy! Don't say that! It almost happened one time! Don't jinx me!"

Joyce laughed and patted him on the arm. "Just come by tonight and we'll work out the details. We need to get you two talking instead of fighting. Resolve some issues." Giving him a coy smile, she said, "Maybe I'll make some hot chocolate....."

"With the lil' marshmellows?" he asked hopefully.

"Is there any other kind? Now, just think it over and come over when the sun sets."

"You know, you're a right nice lady Joyce. Those girls are lucky to have you as their mum." Spike gave her a little smile and pulled open the door to let her out.

Joyce gave him a little smile and stepped into the fading sunshine. "I can swing a mean shovel can't I?"

Spike chuckled. "I can attest to that."

"See you tonight Spike."

Spike smiled as he closed the door. He really couldn't wait to see how the Slayer reacted to this new game plan.