Author's Chapter Notes:
I’m sorry it took me sooooo long to answer reviews, but of course RL got in the way in a major way, even after the hubby left, *sniffs*. As for the chapter - I realize that in the real world of Sales, commission checks do not get cut right away – so please just forgive the fact that I wrote that they do in here – it’s for a purpose. Second, yes the cider vinegar, or even white vinegar, trick on sunburns really does work – my mom used to use it on me when I was little. Third - PLEASE REMEMBER ALL THE WARNINGS from the summary AND from the earlier chapters author’s notes. I personally don’t like taking the easy road towards spuffy – I prefer slow, gradual and realistic baby steps – that’s all I have to say. Thank you to everyone who wished me a great time with the hubby – it was wonderful, it really, really was. News on my other story What Dreams May Come… I’ve been recently receiving reviews on it and I have no intentions on abandoning it. I have been working on it diligently – (ask my lovely twisted sister Darkrivertempest who has been so gracious enough to help me out on the paranormal aspects of it, she’s a frickin genius) - currently wrapping up ch 4, but I don’t want to start posting it again until I get towards the last chapter, that way there’ll be no waiting for updates and you’ll get them regularly. There’s nothing worse than to have to wait for updates, I know. And of course, saving the best for last - thanks to Dusty273 and Sotia for all their help – I love you gals.
Thursday morning………

PLEASE READ ALL OF THE ABOVE AUTHOR’S NOTE, THANKS.

The annoying buzz, buzz, buzz of the alarm going off at six AM startled the blonds awake, making them separate in a hurry to turn the damn thing off. Knowing they had little time to waste if they wanted to get to the airport on time helped Buffy to avoid contemplating last night’s sleeping arrangements in the harsh light of day and the probability of acting awkward towards Spike.

Buffy was a flurry of motion in getting ready, but Spike made it a point to stop her and ask about her burn.

“Honestly? It doesn’t sting as much as it did yesterday. Seems your cure worked.”

“Good.” He nodded once, intending to go back to packing his things when she suddenly wrapped her arms around his neck, whispering ‘thank you’ so sweetly in his ear he felt his heart skip a beat. Before he could hug her back though, she was gone.

Sure, he knew Buffy ran either hot or cold and there was rarely an in between with the stubborn chit, but he thought - or at least hoped - last night had bred some form of middle ground for them to build on, that he’d proved something to her.

Little did he realize just how confused she had yet to make him.

By the time they got back to the apartment, dropped off their luggage and changed for work, Buffy felt they were ‘back on track’ with their lives… such as it was. So despite Spike’s protests, they both went their separate ways like they normally did - in separate cabs - even though their destination was the same.

Yeah, she felt sort of guilty about giving him the brush off over something as simple as riding into work together, but the closeness they’d shared last night had a dual effect on her she wasn’t ready to examine. It was easier for her to just go back to the way things were than to think it held any significant meaning. Like he said, let’s not overanalyze this, so she should - as he’d also said - ‘just let it be’.

~~~*~~~

With less than half a day at work and a meeting first thing tomorrow morning, Buffy and Spike split the workload in preparing for it since she also had to start in early on their department report that he wanted to see every Monday morning. She refused to go through what she had last Friday and stay late if she didn’t have to.

Towards five o’clock, they were sitting there in silence, each doing their own thing while Spike noticed she’d been chewing on the end of that old pen of hers for the last twenty minutes. She’d had the brand new one he bought her just sitting there in her desk for over a week now, so what was she doing still using that one? It annoyed him to no end because she hadn’t even said a word about it, no acknowledgment, no thank you, no… nothing! Unable to contain his growing irritation, he finally said something to her.

“Bloody hell, Buffy! Are you ever goin’ to use the pen?”

“Huh?” she asked confused, looking over to see an aggravated Spike. “What pen?”

He abruptly stood, walked over to her desk and forced her to have to scoot back when he slid her top drawer out to retrieve the black velvet case containing his gift.

Sitting down on the edge of her desk, he opened it, and then held it in front of her. “This pen.” And upon seeing it, the chit actually had the nerve to act surprised. Typical!

“Are you serious?”

“`F course I am.” In response, she folded her arms across her chest defensively, making him feel like she was looking ‘down’ at him. “So why aren’ you?” he insisted after she didn’t answer right away.

“Because I can’t be bought.”

What the hell?!?! Is that what she really thought? That he was trying to bloody buy her?

“Don’t think I haven’t noticed the way you throw your money around. Your sybaritic way of life disgusts me.” And it truly did, after all she was a woman used to taking care of herself ever since she was a teen. It was abhorrent to see the way he threw his money around. He’d probably done it all his life, buy whatever it was he wanted that he couldn’t get with his charm, since he obviously came from a rich family.

“Tha’s a pretty big word, pet. Sure you should be usin’ it?” he smirked.

“Oh, excuse me, Mr. Super Genius. Are you going to start correcting my grammar now?”

“Buffy, I-”

“You just bought it to show off, hoping it would pacify me over having to work in the same room with you. That’s why I’m not using it.”

“Errrrrrrghh,” he growled as he ran his fingers through his hair. “Yeah, I’ve got money, so what? But I got you this `cause `m tired of seein’ you use that ugly thing.” He pointed to the pen in her hand. “You chew on it like a starvin’ rat and it drives me insane. How much I spent on it was the furthest thing from my mind and I didn’t do it to try to buy you or make you feel better `bout anythin’.”

She considered his words for a minute. Had she misjudged him? Or was this an act? Got to be an act. “This-” she held up her writing utensil, “-happens to be my favorite pen.”

In a tired, ragged voice, he told her, “I give up.”

He snapped the box shut, tossed it down in front of her and went to sit back in his own chair, clearly exasperated, making her second guess herself.

“You know,” he started without even looking at her. “A ‘thank you’ wouldn’ hurt. It was a gift after all. Jus’ a bloody gift.”

Okay, so maybe I misunderstood his motive, she thought as guilt crept in when seeing how genuine his frustration over the issue was. “Thank you.” There, I said it, albeit a little on the sarcastic side but she’d said it. He gave her a sideways glance that said he cared nothing for her gratuitous verbalization of appreciation. Ughh! Now they were both behaving like children, all because of some stupid, overpriced pen. She let him feel her eyes boring into him but he ignored her. Fine! They had too much to do together to be acting like this and since she was in the wrong then-then… I’ll make it right.

Bloody ungrateful, frigid... stubborn-

“Spike.”

She spoke his name calmly and came to stand next to him but he still refused to look at her.

Sighing at his juvenile behavior, she got down on one knee so they were at least eye level with one another and tried again. “Spike,” she said a little softer. Good, at least he was looking at her even though his sourpuss expression was locked in place. She lifted her old pen so he could see it then promptly threw it in the trashcan beside his desk. Leaning in, she gave him a gentle kiss to his cheek and whispered, “Thank you,” as sincerely as she could.

Not only was he flabbergasted by her tender apology, but flustered, too. “You… you don’ really like it… do you?” he asked her quietly. Sure, he wasn’t happy over her reaction to his present and while he appreciated that she was putting forth the effort to make up with him, it didn’t mean she had to throw her ‘favorite’ pen out either. And why the bloody hell am I gettin’ flustered over a li’l kiss like some pimply-faced Nancy-boy?

She was instantly doomed when that irresistible pout of his made an appearance. And the insecure manner in which he asked his question, like he wanted, no, needed reassurance… She swatted his shoulder playfully and grinned. “Come on now, you know it’s gorgeous.” That got a tiny smile out of him. “I love it and I’m sorry I misinterpreted your intention. So again… thank you.” His face was positively beaming now, though she could tell he tried to play it off.

Clearing his throat, he gave her a simple, “You’re welcome.”

“So, are we good?”

“Yeah, pet. We’re good.”

And so was the rest of their evening.

~~~*~~~

Friday……..

After Spike and Buffy came back from their morning meeting, Spike excused himself, saying he’d be back in about ten minutes. He headed down to the finance department to pick up both their regular paychecks as well as the commission checks earned for the new accounts they’d procured. Buffy didn’t know it, but the day after she shared her photo album with him, he called up Liam and reasoned with him over why she should receive the same percentage of commission as he did, raving about her skills and how invaluable an asset she was to him as not only an assistant, but a partner. And luckily, the old man told him if that’s really what he thought was fair, then he’d authorize it.

Spike came striding back into their office wearing an abnormally huge smile, making Buffy curious but apprehensive at the same time. Sure, she’d witnessed him in one of his good moods before, but he seemed to be acting exceptionally pleased with himself over something.

“Got a surprise for you, pet.”

“O-kay,” she responded warily as she walked towards the man now bouncing on his heels with the enthusiasm of a kid holding a golden ticket to Willie Wonka’s chocolate factory. “What is it?”

He handed over three envelopes which she immediately recognized as her wages. “Uhmm….thanks for picking up my checks?”

“Open them.”

“Why?”

“Open them, open them!” he said a little more excitedly this time.

My God, is he high or was it the double espresso I warned him not to drink earlier? “Can I ask why its so impor-”

“Will you please jus’ open them?”

He was becoming impatient, causing her to be even more wary of his reasons. “You know… how much someone makes is kind of personal, so again, why-”

“Bloody hell, woman, jus’ open them for Chris’ sake!”

“Alright-alright! Jeez, what’s your damage?” But he ignored her until she had all three checks in her hand, her eyes growing wider by the second as she saw the figures on two in particular. Looking up at him in confusion, all she could say was, “This can’t be right.”

“Oh, but it is,” he winked at her.

“But… how?”

He proceeded to tell her that while chatting with Liam one day, he mentioned how successful Buffy and he were when working as a team and wondered if she couldn’t have the same cut as him from each account they secured.

“And Mr. O’Connor agreed?”

“Authorized it after we hung up.” At her look of skepticism, he added, “Buffy, I’ve known him personally for years… he trusts my judgment.”

She gasped, believing him when remembering he’d been transferred in from London, no doubt from where Mr. O’Connor himself worked. Her eyes flitted between her checks and Spike several times before she let out a joyful squee. Launching herself at him for a huge hug, she expressed her gratitude over and over and over again while he hugged her back. When she moved her head to give him a kiss on the cheek, his face twisted towards hers and she caught his lips instead.

For Spike, the kiss started out as a total accident, an automatic response he didn’t give much thought to. When their mouths met, however, his desire instinctually kicked in and he tugged her even closer, turned his head sideways, tongue slipping out to lick the crease of her lips, begging entrance inside, finding the moment fortuitous though it wasn’t planned. He thought for sure ‘this’ was the moment as the kiss entered the three second mark, right before she gave him a fierce shove to free herself.

“What do you think you’re doing?” she asked in a shocked voice, appalled at his audacity. With undisguised lust burning in his eyes, he took a step forward, his arms reaching out for her. She held up her hand in a halting manner and backed away as far as possible from him.

“Buf-”

“Do not mistake my gratitude for an invitation of another kind,” she interrupted. “Just because you did this for me doesn’t mean it gives you the right to-to… kiss me like that or think I owe you any… physical favors.”

Spike was struck speechless, didn’t know whether to defend himself by pointing out all the times she’d misled him… ogled him when she thought he didn’t notice, reciprocated his kiss last week in the car - however briefly - that she’d slept in his arms willingly the other night or-or… arghhhhhhhhhh!!! He was more than offended; he was down right confused, irritated with her hot and cold routine.

Getting angrier by the second, he unconsciously balled his fists tight and clenched his jaw so hard his teeth threatened to break as they ground together. But he bit his tongue, held back, afraid of what he might say and the consequences that would follow. He wanted to strangle her, kiss her breathless, knock the truth into her, possess her, show her who she belonged to, turn her fire into passion and use it against her, fuck her senseless until she begged for more, he wanted, wanted, wanted

Bracing herself for an ugly confrontation when his face went red with rage, he surprised her by walking out the door unexpectedly, leaving her there alone and bewildered in the total silence that accompanied his exit.

~~~*~~~

Spike took the elevator to nowhere in particular, wondering why he even cared what Buffy thought. So the unintended kiss triggered his hormones, so what? Guilty as charged. But he didn’t expect any ‘favors’ from her over the commission checks, it never even crossed his mind. He should have guessed, should have known that ‘typical Buffy’ would respond by automatically assuming the worst of him. How could she even think he’d coerce her like that? That’s not how he operated when it came to a girl, never had been and never would be. It wasn’t like he was waiting around for her either for fuck’s sake, he knew she’d come crawling to his bed when she was ready so he needn't bother trying to seduce her. Tease her? Yeah, he couldn’t help it, it was too much fun to resist knowing she wanted him, plus she took it well… most of the time.

As the numbers slowly ticked down floor by floor, his mind rapidly ran through the memories of all the times they had gotten along, taken care of each other, how it left him feeling… strange.

Something clicked in his brain then, something he hadn’t been aware of until that very minute, helping him to make sense out of everything. He straightened his posture, tugged at the hem of his jacket and adjusted his tie as the doors opened to the main lobby. Sexually frustrated. That’s what he was. He hadn’t had any since London and it was getting to him.

Pushing the appropriate button to bring him back to his department’s floor, he started feeling better. Being around Buffy twenty four seven, he’d forgotten there was a huge city full of willing women. He just had to get out there, pick one, have a good shag and she’d be out of his system in no time at all.

When Spike came back into the office, he simply sat down and went straight back to work, acting as if nothing had happened. Buffy was stunned at first and could only deduce from his behavior that he needed to walk off his anger rather than have a fight with her. And over the next hour - before lunch - the only talk they engaged in was business related which truthfully, was more than fine by her. Perhaps he finally understood and accepted what she’d told him earlier… not to expect anything from her in return for getting a larger monetary cut from the accounts they secured.

~~~*~~~

“`M gonna head out,” Spike told Buffy about ten minutes before five. “You comin’?”

“I can’t right now. I need at least an hour or so to finish up this report.”

“Right then.” He nodded once, remaining indifferent towards her. “See you when you get home.”

“Okay.”

Honestly? The impersonal way in which he continued treating her for the rest of afternoon sort of wigged her out. This was not the Spike she was used to dealing with at all. On the bright side, maybe it meant he was going to back off altogether from the suggestive talk and sexual taunting he normally dealt her. She just hoped he would extend this conduct to when they were in their apartment as well. The adjustment would be weird to make but then she remembered that with these bigger checks she’d be earning, it would make finding another place to live happen much sooner and when she did, the distance it’d provide them would make her life easier.

~~~*~~~

On the elevator ride down, the doors stopped to let a young, buxom blonde on. Looking her over twice in appreciation, Spike put on a charming smile and took note of the button she pressed.

“`Lo there. You work in marketing?”

“Oh, yes,” she giggled while twirling a lock of her hair.

“So why is it we’ve never met before?” He held out his hand to her in greeting. “The name’s William Giles, Vice President of Sales.” She placed her hand in his and batted her eyelashes when he kissed it. Giving her a wink, he added, “But you can call me Spike.”

Since the ride to her floor was a short one, Spike made the most of it, quickly enchanting her with well practiced lines and compliments. The bird flirted back and forth with him making his work effortless which told him she was as ‘easy’ and ‘eager’ as he was to continue their playful… talk.

As the elevator slowed to let her off, Spike asked for her phone number, “If you feel inclined to… get together sometime?” She surprised him by stepping in close and running a finger down his chest.

“Why wait?” she asked, pleased by the devious smirk he gave her in return as his answer. “What time do you get off?”

“Only after you do, pet.”

~~~*~~~

Shortly after six, Buffy placed her report on Spike’s desk and headed to Willy’s for a glass of wine. She had him pour her a slightly larger glass than normal to help relax her nerves because frankly, she didn’t know what she expected to find when she got to her apartment. Willy didn’t say a thing about it; he just chatted with her for a few minutes like usual before she paid her tab and hailed a cab to take her home.

Unfortunately, the alcohol in her system wasn’t nearly enough to prepare her for what she saw when she unlocked the door and walked inside her place.

“Uhmm, excuse me,” Buffy started, more than a little perturbed. “But what are you doing here?” She was staring at none other than MDIG’s biggest known slut, standing in her kitchen getting herself a glass of water, wearing nothing but one of Spike’s shirts.

“Me? What about you?” she asked, just as shocked as Buffy before her eyes went wide at a certain thought. “I don’t do threesomes unless its boy, boy, girl. Or Charlize Theron.”

“I happen to live here. And ewww!”

“Oh. Ahhh, are you and Spike, like, together? Cuz I swear I had no idea.”

“No! God, no! A huge world of no to that question. We’re just roommates, that’s it and… I just didn’t expect…” Making a split second decision, she told her, “You know what, forget it. It’s no big deal. I just wasn’t aware he had… company. Don’t bother mentioning I was here, okay?”

“O-okay.” The blonde responded nervously.

“You, uhmm… enjoy yourself. I’m just gonna-” she pointed her thumb over her shoulder. “-go out for awhile so you can, you know…” After the girl nodded, Buffy picked her briefcase back up, gave her a forced smile and left.

~~~*~~~

During the cab ride she took back to Willy’s, Buffy couldn’t believe who she ran into… in her own apartment no less! No wonder Spike acted towards her the way he had. His radar had landed on the company’s chief ho-bag renowned by everyone as ‘spreads-her-legs-a-lot’.

Ewww! Just ewww! The woman was a-a tramp, and dumb with her cheap hair dye and-and... duh! Wasn’t that what men like Spike preferred? A big-boobed, blonde bimbo with no more brains than a blade of grass? Ughh! It was disgusting. She hoped he used a condom, or two, one over the other because if not he’d... then again, maybe a disease of the runny, pus-filled kind was just what he deserved.

Willy was stunned to see Buffy walking back inside his place a little while later and even more astonished when she ordered another glass of wine.

“You know I’m always happy to see you, Buffy, but… what’s up with the extra visit?” The way she exhaled and rolled her eyes told him whatever it was, it wasn’t good.

“Let’s just say… I can’t go home right now.”

He watched her take two large swallows from her glass and ventured to ask the obvious. “The Brit, huh?”

“Pretty much.”

“Well, my offer is still good if you want him roughed up a bit.”

“I can do that on my own if it came down to it, but thanks anyway, Willy.”

“No offense, but… why do you let him get to you? I mean, I’ve never seen you get riled up over much of anything, let alone a…” It was then that what she’d said a second ago registered. “Did you say you can’t go home?”

“Yup. That’s what I said.” Seeing his confused expression, she sighed heavily. “It’s a… long story.” She hadn’t told him about her living arrangements; it was pretty much a secret to everyone, er, except for Spike’s ‘houseguest’.

He shrugged like it didn’t matter to him. “I got all night if you wanna talk?”

What the hell, she thought. This was Willy and she trusted him.

Several hours and quite a few glasses of wine later…

“He’s a-a pretentious, self-indulgent, self centered… the epitome of Freud’s ‘id’, yeah, that’s what he is. Oh, and did I tell you he happens to be a genius?” she asked, setting her glass down after finishing it.

“Doesn’t sound like a very smart guy to me.”

“That’s just it. IQ-wise he’s considered a super genius, but he’s sooooo stupid and…”

Willy listened with amusement as Buffy continued her drunken rant. Being a bartender, he’d spent years not only listening to people’s problems, but ‘hearing’ them, ‘reading’ what was really going on behind the stories they told him. Buffy had literally spilled her guts, gave him a detail by detail account of her everyday life with Spike. Poor kid. Whether or not she liked it, she had it bad for the guy and even worse, didn’t realize it or refused to. He wasn’t going to be the one to tell her though, oh no. And if his intuition served him correct, that loser of an Englishman liked her, too. Despite the guy’s crude ways, which he hated to see Buffy have to put up with, all the signs were there in the other things this Spike character said and did for her. It’d be interesting to see what happened over time with these two, though he placed his money on it not ending well… for either of them.

When Buffy noticed how late it was, she paid Willy and said she hoped the skank wouldn’t be there by the time she got home. As drunk as she was, he insisted on driving her home himself rather than have her take a cab and that he’d walk her to her door as well. She started to protest, but he argued that in this city - and in her condition - he’d feel better knowing she got directly to her place safely. So he quickly told one of his employees to man the bar until he got back and proceeded to help walk an unsteady Buffy out to his car.

Buffy let Willy follow her into her apartment and politely thanked him for seeing her home. Of course the other reason Willy went in was to assure Spike wasn’t up and no arguments could take place in case said skank was there. When the coast seemed clear, he bid her goodnight and went on his way.

Buffy staggered down the hallway towards her bedroom, banging into the wall a couple of times loud enough to alert Spike to her presence. When he came out of his room to check on her, he was surprised to see her so tipsy, and when he offered to help her to her room, became perplexed when she barked slurred obscenities at him to leave her the hell alone.

Don’t throw stones at me please, I’ve always said Spike had a lot of growing up to do and he’d make mistakes along the way, but he will learn……………… eventually. And as promised – nothing graphic, cuz ewww!!! Hope everyone enjoyed the chapter despite Spike’s extra curricular activities. Next chapter, he’ll get his comeuppance – boy, will he ever!!! And it will make you’ll feel better – I know it did me when I wrote it, *snickers*. Till next time, have a fab week – hugs you all.

ML2