Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi everyone. I'm so sorry about the long absence. I'm having a baby in about two months and preparing for the big day, along with caring for my toddler, is taking most of my time and energy. But I really do appreciate those of you who are willing to hang in there with me. I love this story and I have every intension of finishing it.

A huge thank you to whomever it was that nominated me at the Cradle of Humanity Awards. I was so thrilled when I found out. It is always a great honour to be up for an award.
Chapter Ten

Buffy gasped in shock, her face portraying her disbelief. “You've got to be kidding me. You got your nickname by stabbing someone with a railroad spike? No way.”

“Hey, it's not like I did it on purpose,” Spike argued. “We were a couple of fifteen-year-olds idiots just fooling around.”

“I take it the guy lived to tell the tale?”

“Yeah. Luckily I missed all the more important internal organs.” He laughed, relaxing back in the swivel chair. “Though every time he tells the story it gets more and more outlandish. And, of course, I have to agree with whatever version he feels like telling on account of being the one that stabbed him in the guts.”

She laughed. “He forgave you then? You're still friends?”

“Of course,” he replied, as if that should have been obvious. “He was brandishing a spike too, you know.”

Buffy could only shake her head at his cavalier attitude. “Of course.” It had been nearly two months since they'd decided to be friends, until the day they were free to be, well, more than friends. So far they'd managed to keep their hands to themselves, though the odd flirtatious remark was known to sneak its way into their conversations. Once they'd figured out how to cope with the strong attraction they felt for one another, she'd been surprised by just how much she enjoyed his company. Beneath all the sexual tension, they actually had a lot in common. It was kind of nice, she thought, getting to know each other before indulging in a physical relationship. Now, as long as she could continue resisting the urge to hike up her skirt when ever he came within three feet of her, they'd be fine.

A strange beeping sounded interrupted them and Spike swore under his breath as he sat forward to reach into his back pocket, pulling out his cell phone. “That's my reminder,” he told her. “I have to leave now if I'm going to make it to work on time.” He smiled at her. “I hadn't realised so much time had passed.”

Nodding her agreement, Buffy looked at her watch and groaned as she saw it was nearly two o'clock.”Damn. I'm about six minutes away from being late for my lecture.” She began to hunt around on her desk for her lecture folder, kicking herself for not keeping a closer eye on the time.

“So, will I see you at Xander's party on Saturday night?” Spike asked as he gathered his own belongings.

She paused in her search to lift a questioning eyebrow at him. “Huh?”

“Xander. He decided on Tuesday to have one of his impromptu parties.” He frowned. “He said that he invited you and Willow and Faith.”

Buffy slapped her hand against her forehead as her most recent conversation with Willow came back to her. “I remember now. Willow mentioned it when I spoke to her yesterday.”

A grin broke out on his face. “Great. So, you'll be there?”

Finally having located her lecture notes, Buffy stood, though she kept her eyes on her folder. “I don't think I can, Spike. I have a lot of papers to grade in the next week and I don't really think I can spare the time.”

He gave her a doubtful look. “You can't spare a couple of hours on a Saturday night for a few beers and some dip?”

“This is just a very busy time of year.” She made a show of getting out her office keys, still refusing to look up. “With exams coming up and all...”

“Buffy,” he said quietly as he reached out to lift her chin with two fingers, forcing her to meet his gaze. “Be straight with me.”

She sighed, rolling her eyes. Did he have to be so perceptive? “I'm just not sure it's such a good idea. It's one thing to have an extra long meeting or have lunch here at the university. But if we start socialising in public, things could get,” she swallowed hard, “complicated.”

He grinned, looking much happier with her new answer. “Still feeling those irresistible urges to tear my clothes off and have your wicked way?”

Even as she laughed, Buffy couldn't stop herself from trailing her gaze down over his body, as if she was already accomplishing that task with her mind. “The thought has occasionally crossed my mind in the past two months.”

A low chuckle sounded as he took a step closer. “Only occasionally?”

“Yeah,” she replied, “occasionally.” Like once or twice an hour. Sometimes for an entire hour. Yes, occasionally.

His fingertips were teasing the sensitive skin of her neck now, stroking her lightly, and her breathing quickened in response. “And here I'm all but haunted by thoughts of you,” he purred. “The things I'd like to do to you.”

Buffy bit her bottom lip as her eyes slid closed on a sigh. Just a few more months. A few more torturous months. With a regretful groan she forced herself to step away. “This is why I'm not so sure I should go,” she said, her voice breathless with want.

Spike let out a frustrated groan and ran his fingers through his hair as he, too, backed away. “I know. It's hard. Damn hard at the moment, actually,” he added with a grin. “But you work too hard, Buffy. You deserve to take a break now and then. Besides, we're the only two people Xander knows from the university, so you don't have to worry about being caught ogling me.”

She just shook her head in amusement as he waggled his eyebrows at her. “You were at the front of the line the day God was handing out egos, weren't you?”

He shrugged. “Well, hell, I figured if he was giving 'em away...”

Laughing, she opened to the office door and they walked out into the hallway. “All right, you've convinced me. But no funny business, mister.”

He held up his hands defensively. “You have my word, professor.”

Buffy felt a pleasant shiver go through her. Spike rarely called her 'professor' these days, but every time he did she couldn't help but picture him saying it while handcuffed to her bed. Naked. Wicked Ways of Having Spike Fantasy Number 83, activating now.


Chapter End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I have already started writing the next one, so hopefully I'll get it up in the next week or two. Please leave me some love if the love moves you.