Author's Chapter Notes:
Big hugs and thank you to everyone who has reviewed this story. I really appreciate your support and kind words.
Chapter 3

Spike swept her desk clear with one arm before pressing her down onto the cool surface. Piles of paper and books fell to the floor with a loud crash. “Sorry, love,” he muttered against her lips. “I just can't help myself. I have to have you.” His mouth descended on hers, his hands running riot over her body. “Here and now.”

“Buffy! Earth to Buffy!”

Snapping out of the indecent thoughts she'd been indulging in, Buffy lifted her head to find her best, and oldest, friend smiling down at her.

“Hey, Willow.” She sprang from the table to give the woman a warm hug. “Sorry, I was just ... umm ... inspecting my vodka and orange. For floaties.”

“I can see that,” Willow replied as they settled themselves back down into the large booth. Buffy had picked it because it was right next to the pub's large dance floor and she was in the mood to cut loose tonight.

“What exactly were you expecting to find in there?” Willow asked. “A conga line of drunken ants?”

“Don't be silly, Willow,” Buffy scoffed. “Ants can't walk on liquid. They'd have to be drunken synchronised swimming ants.”

Willow laughed. “Of course, you'll have to forgive my lapse in logic.”

Thankful to have diverted any possible questions about her amorous stupor, Buffy finished the offending drink with a long swallow. “So, where’s Faith?”

“The bartender was cute,” Willow replied, as if that explained everything. And indeed it did.

Rolling her eyes, Buffy shook her head with a grin. “Same old Faith.”

“Tell me about it,” Willow agreed. “So how are things going with you? Are you still as overworked as always? It seems like forever since we've seen you.”

“I know. At the moment my life consists of one never ending pile of work. In fact, I now have yet another Masters students to deal with.” Buffy was thankful for the pub's dim lighting as she felt a tell-tale flush creep up her cheeks.

“You are kidding me? How many do they think you can handle?”

Buffy shrugged. “Beats me?”

“The student isn't a complete loser, is she?” Willow asked, cringing in sympathy.

“He, actually. And no, he's definitely not a loser.” Buffy tried not to think about bright blue eyes and cheekbones that could slice through butter. “It’s not that. He’s actually very bright. He’ll do well.”

“Oh, no.”

Looking up at Willow's doomed tone, Buffy's brow furrowed in confusion. “What?”

“He’s hot, isn’t he?”

Buffy balked, was she that obvious? “Willow! W-What sort of a question is that?”

“You're stuttering!” An accusing finger appeared in front of her nose. “And I know that look on your face, missy. You went all gooey-eyed.”

She snorted, as if that was the craziest thing she'd ever heard. “T-That’s ridiculous. The man is a student. End of story.”

Gasping, Willow slapped her hand over her mouth for a moment, before whispering, “Are you telling me he’s so hot that you have to remind yourself he’s a student?”

“Okay, okay.” Buffy dropped her head in her hands with a loud groan. “He’s completely drool worthy, all right? I practically creamed my pants just being in the same room with him.”

“Hell B, when do we meet him?”

Buffy’s head snapped up to find Faith grinning down at her, three shots of God-only-knew-what balanced precariously in her hands.

“Hello, Faith. And no meeting. Not ever. He’s a student and that’s all he’ll ever be.” Grabbing one of the shot glasses from Faith, Buffy held it up in a toast. “This is the only night I’ll have to myself this week and I intend to enjoy it. Here’s to fun, ladies.”

“To fun!” Faith and Willow echoed with great enthusiasm before all three women tilted their heads back and drank.

As the liquid burned a path down her throat, Buffy shook her head to try to dispel the fire. Damn right, she was going to have some fun tonight.

**********

Spike watched Buffy from across the room as she finished making her toast and downed the contents of her shot glass in one gulp. Screwing up her face at the taste, she shook her head violently and he smiled at how adorable she looked.

“Spike, man. Where the hell are you?”

A hand waved in front of his face and he was forced to drag his gaze away from the captivating blonde. “Were you saying something?”

Xander just rolled his eyes. “Yeah. I was asking if you actually know the blonde you’ve been staring at since we got here or if this is just random ogling.”

Bothered by the fact that he’d been caught staring, Spike shrugged. “Yeah, I know her. And I was not ogling.”

“Whatever you say, my friend,” Xander replied in a disbelieving tone. “Who is she?”

Doing his best to look casual, while actively not staring at the woman in question, Spike answered, “She’s Professor Buffy Summers. My new supervisor.”

Spike frowned when Xander threw back his head and guffawed loudly. “Little Miss Hotty is your supervisor?” he managed to spit out before another peel of laughter burst out of him.

Clearing his throat, Spike took a long pull on his beer. “Stop laughing, you git,” he muttered irritably.

That comment only made Xander laugh more. “Oh Spike, man,” he gasped, when at last he began to calm down. “You are in such deep shit.”

Spike groaned, dropping his head onto the table as he finally admitted defeat. “Don’t I know it.”

**********

Buffy emptied her glass in ten seconds flat and slammed the empty glass down on the table.

“You okay there, Buffy?” Willow asked, a bemused expression on her face.

“I’m fan-fucking-tastic,” she replied with a giggle. “This is exactly what I needed tonight.”

“And now what you need is to shake your booty, girl,” Faith interrupted with a sly smile. “Come on Buffy. You know you want to dance.”

Buffy laughed with abandon as she slid out of the booth after her friend. “You are so right.”

Taking Faith’s hand Buffy followed her onto the dance floor, ready and willing to give herself over to the music. It was loud and fast with plenty of bass, just the way Buffy liked it. Immediately she began to move to the rhythm, welcoming the heavy beat that pulsed through the floor and upward into her body. She grinned as Faith moved in front of her, matching her movements so that they swayed together. Before long they were surrounded by a group of hopeful men that would be allowed to look but not to touch. This night was for them, and Buffy was overwhelmed by the feeling of complete freedom.

**********

Spike thought he would burst as he watched Buffy on the dance floor. His eyes were addicted to the way her body moved with a primal sensuality. His fingers itched to touch her sultry curves, to bury his painfully hard cock in her luscious body.

Glancing at the bar, he saw that Xander was still occupied getting the next round of beers and was grateful that his pathetic pining was going unnoticed. Quickly he downed the last of his drink, hoping the alcohol would dull the lust and frustration that was roaring through his body.

Buffy and her friend had men circling them like vultures. Even as he mentally derided them for their crude attempts to win a dance with either of the two women, he seethed with envy that he couldn’t join them in the chase. Buffy – no, Professor Summers – was his supervisor, nothing more. He needed her to finish his thesis and graduate from his masters program. He couldn’t allow anything to interfere with that.

“I’ll be back,” he yelled to Xander as the other man returned with their drinks, then he disappeared down the corridor that led to the bathrooms. Cold water, that’s what he needed.

**********

A song that Buffy didn’t know began to play and she decided to take the opportunity to make a quick trip to the bathroom. Gesturing to Faith, who was still enjoying the attention of the surrounding males, Buffy headed for the back of the pub. She swayed her hips seductively as she walked. It was nights like this that kept her sane. Going out with her friends and forgetting about the rest of the world. For just a few hours, she could pretend there was nothing more to her life than dancing and enjoying herself.

She had just come out of the bathroom and was heading back down the corridor when she heard someone behind her call her name.

“Professor Summers.”

Turning around, Buffy froze when she saw Spike gazing down at her with those brilliant blue eyes – now wide with surprise. Oh shit.

“Spike,” she exclaimed. “What are you doing here?”

He shrugged casually. “Just out for a drink with a friend.” Inwardly, he was kicking himself for alerting her to his presence, but somehow when he saw her sauntering down the short corridor he couldn’t seem to resist talking to her. “How about yourself?”

“The same,” she replied. She was smiling, but to Spike it seemed a little forced. “So…umm…how long have you been here?”

Suddenly understanding her dilemma he allowed a teasing grin to form on his lips. “A while now.”

Her face fell and he knew what she must be thinking. Or, more specifically, what she thought he was thinking. “Relax love,” he said casually. “You’re a beautiful woman enjoying a night on the town. You have nothing to be worried about.”

A relieved smile spread across her face and she seemed to relax a little. “I know, I just…I come here because this isn’t a student bar. Actually, this is the first time I’ve ever run into a student here. I guess it just threw me for a second.”

“Oh,” Spike said, disappointed that she saw him as just another student. When they'd been working together on his proposal, he'd been sure that she was attracted to him, or at least had enjoyed his company. Now, after all the time he's spent this week lusting after her, the idea that she hadn't paid him another thought once he'd left her office was less than thrilling. He took a step back, running a hand through his hair. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to intrude on your evening.”

She frowned. “No, Spike, I didn’t mean it like that.”

“It’s okay, really. I’ll just leave you to it.” He held out his hand in an attempt to seem professional. The shiver that went through him when she shook it was anything but. “It was good to see you, Professor Summers.”

“Please, call me Buffy. I feel like I should be working when I hear the word 'professor'.”

Spike grinned. “Okay. Buffy it is then.”

He walked past her, making sure he was close enough to get a whiff of her perfume, and felt himself harden at the musky fragrance. “Goodnight, Buffy,” he murmured in a low voice.

Her intake of breath made him wonder if maybe he hadn't been mistaken. If maybe she was as affected by him as he was by her, after all. Don’t be ridiculous, he reprimanded himself as he returned to his table. She’s probably just offended that you invaded her personal space without permission. Jackass!

**********

“Holy crap!”

Willow and Faith broke their conversation to stare at her in surprise as she dropped into the booth beside them. “Buffy, what’s wrong?”

“The hot student we were talking about before? He’s here!” Buffy stared at her friends with panic-stricken eyes.

“Oh, really?” Willow was obviously more excited than horrified. “Where is he?”

Trying to look surreptitiously around the room, Buffy spied him sitting in at a corner table with a dark-haired man. She quickly pointed Spike out to them.

“Damn, B!” Faith exclaimed. “If you don’t have sex with that man, then I will.”

“Oh my God, Buffy,” Willow added with a giggle. “You really weren’t kidding, were you? He’s gorgeous.”

Buffy sighed as she plopped her head onto the palm of her hand. “I know.”

Willow leaned forward, giggling excitedly. “What's his name?”

“God,” Faith pitched in with a chuckle. “As in 'oh my ... oh my'.”

Buffy and Willow laughed, clapping Faith's moan-filled performance, to which the grinning woman did a mock bow.

“Does he know that you’re attracted to him?” Willow asked.

“I don’t know. I hope not. God, how embarrassing would that be.”

“Only if you get caught screwing in your office.”

“Faith!” The other two women yelled in unison.

“What?” Faith asked with feigned ignorance.

Willow turned back to Buffy. “Is he attracted to you?”

A jolt of heat shot through Buffy at even the thought. “I don't know,” she replied, squirming a little in her chair. “I think ... maybe.”

“That’s it,” Willow declared, slapping her palms down on the table as she stood up. “I’m getting us another round of drinks.”

As soon as she was gone, Faith turned to Buffy again. “Come on, B. You really think he’d turn you down?”

“It doesn’t matter if he’d turn me down or not. He’s a student!” Buffy argued vehemently.

“So what? It’s not like he’s under age. He’s got to be at least twenty-five.”

“Twenty-eight,” Buffy corrected her. “Just two years younger than me.”

“There you go,” Faith replied, relaxing back in her seat. “What’s the big deal if you two get your naughty on?”

“The big deal? Faith, I could get fired for dating a student.”

Faith jumped on that point with gusto. “But he’s not your student. He’s your supervisee.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “True. Okay, so maybe I wouldn't get fired. But it would definitely make me the laughing stock of the department. Do you know how hard I've had to work to become a professor at my age?” Now that she was on a roll, Buffy allowed the lecture she'd been giving herself all week to spill out in a flood of negativity. “Not to mention the fact that a scandal like that could ruin Spike’s career before it even begins. The world of mental health is way too small, especially in a town like Sunnydale.”

“So, don’t get caught,” Faith stated bluntly.

Buffy groaned. “You are so not helping.”

Faith held her hands up in defence. “All right. We won’t talk about it any more.” She grinned mischievously. “Let’s dance instead. You can work off some of that frustration.”

She shook her head. “Oh no. I can’t dance knowing he’s here watching. It’s too freaky, and … kind of erotic.” Sneaking a glance in his direction, Buffy frowned at the empty table she now saw across the room. “Where'd he go?”

“Umm, guys?”

Buffy and Faith looked up to see Willow standing beside them with a sheepish expression on her face. She stepped aside to reveal a darked-haired man standing behind her, with Spike right beside him.

“This is Xander,” Willow stated nervously. “We just met at the bar and he asked if he and his friend could join us.” She forced a laugh. “What do you know, Buffy? It turns out you know Xander’s friend, Spike.”

Buffy’s eyes moved from the rambling Willow, to a cheerful Xander, and finally to a chagrined Spike. And the night just keeps getting better and better.