AU: Spike thought that he could never love again, not after his fiancée’s tragic accident. So he moves to Sunnydale, in hopes of forgetting his past… but suddenly, his plans turn upside-down when he meets his new next-door neighbor, Buffy. Will Spike be able to love again? What will happen? Just read and review!

~*~*~*~

Chapter Eleven: What If

~*~*~*~

“You need a check up, Buffy!” Dawn exclaimed, tightening her grip on her sister’s shoulders. Tears were streaming down Buffy’s cheeks; her mind was a complete blank.

“I don’t know Dawn… It’s driving me crazy…”

“Have you told Spike yet?” Buffy furrowed her eyebrows as Dawn helped her up from the cold floor.

“No… I am not going to go up to him and say ‘Hey sweetie! Guess what? I might be pregnant!’” Buffy exclaimed, a sob escaping as she spoke. She trembled, her lip quivering as Dawn wrapped her arms around her.

“Its okay, Buffy… its okay…”

~*~*~*~

Buffy ran her hand through her hair as she walked into the family clinic she had always attended. Her doctor, Winifred Burkle, had won Buffy’s trust since she was a child.

“How are you, Buffy?” Winifred asked as she wrote in the manila folder Buffy slid on the cool table, smiling weakly.

“I’m okay… I need a favor…” Winifred took off her glasses and glanced at the petite blonde.

“What’s wrong? Is there something going on that’s giving you concern?” Winifred asked, her medical attitude surfacing. Buffy pursed her lips and stared at her hands.

“I need a pregnancy test…” she whispered and turned to her doctor. Winifred’s eyes softened, and stood up from her seat. She placed a hand on Buffy’s shoulder as she saw a few tears budding on the girl.

“Is it Riley?” she asked, causing Buffy to jolt her head up at the brunette.

“No… he has never touched me…” Buffy suddenly smiled as she crossed her arms across her chest.

“I see that you have feelings for the lucky guy,” Winifred smiled as she turned to the medical counter. Buffy sighed deeply.

“Yeah… His name in William Connor…” Buffy gulped when she saw Winifred taking a needle from one of the drawers. Winifred noticed the blonde’s fear, and smiled warmly.

“Its okay, it will just sting for a second. Tell me about William,” Winifred mumbled, taking Buffy’s arms to take blood. Buffy heaved a sigh as the thought was brought to mind.

“He bleached his hair… he also has deep blue eyes… he’s British and has sharp cheekbones… Ow! Buffy winced and grimaced as the jagged needle smoothly cut her skin.

“Keep going, Buffy… this guy sounds handsome,” Winifred stated softly as she extracted blood from the blonde.

“He’s very sweet… he took me to the Italian restaurant down by Main Street… He protects me from Riley. He tried to kill me almost two months ago…” Buffy frowned at the thought of that man. Winifred sighed and cleaned the small wound.

“The results will be back in about two days… in the meantime… talk to William about your though on the possibility of you being pregnant. It might help if you knew what is on his mind,” the brunette doctor suggested as Buffy pursed her lips.

“What if he doesn’t agree, Fred?” she asked her, calling her by her nickname. Fred sighed deeply and took the blonde into her arms.

“Never think about the ‘what if’, Buffy. Just talk to him.”

~*~*~*~

Two days later…

Buffy didn’t want to pick up the phone. She knew that Fred was calling her, but just the thought of what she was going to tell her sent shivers down her spine.

“Hello?” Buffy answered cagily when she did pick it up. Dawn sat on the couch, listening to her sister’s conversation on the phone. Buffy closed her eyes and sighed intensely as she heard Fred talking. “Thanks, Fred. You were a great help. I’ll talk to you soon.”

“Buffy?” Dawn called her sister as she heard the click of the phone.

“I’ll tell you later, Dawnie…” Buffy picked up the phone and dialed Spike’s number.

“Hey Spike…” she calmly greeted as she made her way to the kitchen.

“Hey sweetheart… I haven’t heard from you in the whole day,” she heard him speaking softly, causing her to frisson.

“When you get out of work, can you come to my house?” she asked coolly, trying not to sound suspicious. There was a bit of silence, but he quickly answered.

“Sure.”

~*~*~*~

The horizon started to disappear as the sun perished, leaving only an aurora of oranges and purples. Buffy sat in the front porch of her house, gazing straight ahead. Her heads were on her stomach, caressing it softly as the thought of a child growing in her overwhelmed her mind. She never noticed Spike walk on the stairs and sit next to her.

“Buffy… pet, you okay?” he asked her softly, placing his arm around her shoulders to bring her closer. She was shaken out of her thoughts at the action, but turned at smiled at him.

“Yeah, I’m fine… you’ve been working today?” she asked him, cuddling her head on the nape of his neck. She still had her hands on her stomach, and Spike became aware of them.

“Buffy, are you sure you’re okay?”

“Why do you ask, Spike?” Spike raised an eyebrow and shook his head.

“You’re clutching your belly, love,” he answered, causing Buffy lift her head up to glance at him.

“Oh… sorry, I’m… Oh God… you need to know…” Buffy grunted, her shoulders suddenly relaxing at the thought of finally telling him.

“What’s wrong? You have me worried here, Buffy…” Spike charily spoke, but his concern bubbled in his blood. Buffy stared into his eyes, quickly losing herself in them, and sighed.

“I hope our child would have your eyes, Spike…” the blonde man stared her for a moment before widening his eyes at her statement.

“Child?”

“I’m pregnant, Spike.”

~*~*~*~

A/N: Hope everyone likes this chapter... review!

-Jess