AU: Spike thought that he could never love again, not after his fiancée’s tragic accident. So he moves to Sunnydale, in hopes of forgetting his past… but suddenly, his plans turn upside-down when he meets his new next-door neighbor, Buffy. Will Spike be able to love again? What will happen? Just read and review!

~*~*~*~

Chapter Two: Falling

~*~*~*~

The sun was coming down as Spike and Cordelia walked across the shores of Santa Monica. Spike stopped, staring down at his fiancée with glow in his eyes, and sighed deeply. He wrapped his arms around her waist, bringing her back up against his chest.

“Cordelia… what are you thinking about?” Spike asked as he tightened his grip around the woman. She smiled widely, taking in his manly rugged scent.

“You.”

~*~*~*~

The sun had begun hitting the front porch where Spike had fallen asleep. He suddenly bolted from his slumber and thought; I really need to stop dreaming… He slunk back on the hammock, rubbing his hand against his face. It had been two weeks since he moved to Sunnydale, and slowly he was trying to enjoy it.

“Umm, hi,” an angelic voice called out from the front lawn. Spike sprang up to see his neighbor, Buffy, smiling innocently at him. He smiled at her and got up from the hammock, tottered to the front steps. He could see the young woman’s flush deepening as she stepped forward. “M-My mother and I want to invite you for dinner at our house… that is if you want to…”

“I’d love to… just give me a couple of minutes…” Spike answered summarily, cutting off Buffy’s sentence. Buffy licked her lips and smiled extensively. She nodded her head, turning on her heel, and walked home. Spike gripped the railing leaving white knuckles as his smile died down and thought, What is wrong with me?

~*~*~*~

Spike sat down in the living room of the Summers house. He leaned his elbows on his knees, his hands on his chin. It seemed like a wonderful house to be in; it had a very homey feeling to it, and he liked it.

“Well, William,” he heard the elder Summers come in, a hand towel on her shoulder, “Did you find any work yet?”

“Actually, yes I did. I’m working with a man called Rupert Giles down at a shop called the Magic Box, ” he answered, watching her sit across from him.

“Ah, Rupert… very good friend of mine. You will be happy to work with him,” Joyce remarked, taking the towel off her shoulder, and dried her hands in it. Spike smiled meekly at the elderly woman, and leaned back against the seat cushion.

“Yes… especially since he’s also from England, but unfortunately, starting off wasn’t so good,” Spike remarked. Joyce just smiled with amity, her eyes glowing with reassurance.

“Well, I know you’ll get along with him, William,” Joyce remarked and stood up from her spot. Spike nodded satisfyingly, feeling the kindness in Joyce’s voice. As Joyce disappeared into the kitchen, the doorbell rang. Spike’s eyebrow crunched in confusion as he stood up and strolled to the door as the bell rang again. He slowly twisted the knob and slid the door back gently.

“Buffy, I…” the man on the other side of the door began but stopped when he saw Spike just standing there. The man stretched out his hand in greeting.

“You must be Buffy’s neighbor. She’s told me about you. I’m her boyfriend, Riley,” the man explained, and Spike grudgingly accepted his greeting as he shock his hand.

“Oh... My name is William, but I prefer Spike,” he solemnly introduced himself, his feelings slowly charging toward jealousy. He didn’t like the man, especially since he looked like the martial type. Buffy suddenly appeared at the door, and watched the fury in both of the men’s orbs.

“Riley… what are you doing here? I told you that we were over… a week ago!” Buffy exclaimed, chivalrously pushing Spike aside. Spike stared at Buffy then at Riley, anger rushing through his veins. Buffy sighed wrathfully, “Get out of here, Riley. I don’t want to see you ever again!”

“But Buffy…” Riley pleaded as he took a step further but was quickly stopped by Spike.

“You heard the lady,” Spike murmured severely, his voice spitting out venom. Riley gave him a vituperative look, his glance ready for kill.

“You stay out of this, Captain Peroxide,” Riley hissed, his hands turning into fists.

“Watch what you say, you ponce. Now get the hell out of here!” Spike spat, pushing Riley out the door. Riley lost his balance and fell backwards. He glanced up at Buffy and then at Spike, and stood up.

“I’ll be back, Buffy,” he stated as he turned around to leave.

“And I’ll be here with her, Cardboard,” Spike remarked. When Riley was out of sight, Spike turned to Buffy to find her teary-eyed. He sighed as he took the girl into his arms, and she faintly wept against his chest. Suddenly, a rush of affection drowned his thoughts; he had not felt that sensation since he was with Cordelia.

“It’s okay, pet. I’m here,” Spike whispered into her ear as his hand fondled in her hair. The moment felt so right for both Buffy and Spike. Buffy gradually pushed herself away from Spike, not losing her eye contact with him. His eyes were full of warmth, something she had never seen before and maybe will never see from anyone else.

“Dinner’s ready!” A voice interrupted their silence. Buffy pursed her lips and began walking in without saying a word, but Spike caught her hand, pulling her back to her position. He stared into her overpowering green eyes, sinking his into her soul. He caressed her cheek, a strand of hair lingering between his fingers.

“I’ll always be there for you, Buffy,” Spike whispered, and let her pass into the house. As he watched her stroll swiftly toward the kitchen, his thoughts began to scrabble, and his conscience began saying, You’re falling for her, you nit!

~*~*~*~

To Be Continued…

A/N: Sorry I took so long to update! I went out of town on Thursday, and came back Sunday night. Plus, I was kind of stuck on the story plot, but I have it figured out. Thanks so much for your reviews and suggestions. They mean a lot to me, and keep them coming. The more the reviews are sent, the more the story continues!!! ;-)

Thanks,

Jess