AU: Spike thought that he could never love again, not after his fiancée’s tragic accident. So he moves to Sunnydale, in hopes of forgetting his past… but suddenly, his plans turn upside-down when he meets his new next-door neighbor, Buffy. Will Spike be able to love again? What will happen? Just read and review!

~*~*~*~

Chapter Three: Confessions

~*~*~*~

A Month Later…

The sound of the punch bag being knocked about filled the entire basement. Spike had made this a regular basis, other than having his mind occupied on his past love and his new-growing schoolboy crush, but every time he punched the bag, Buffy’s beatific smile appeared before him. Somehow, he couldn’t get her out.

“I know you can’t get her out of your mind. You’re forgetting me slowly, Spike,” Cordelia’s soft voice commented from the corner of the room. Spike abruptly stopped and turned to see nothing. ‘Maybe it’s my imagination…’ His cell phone vibrating in his pocket suddenly startled him.

“Connor,” he answered solemnly yet panting.

“Spike, its Angel,” the voice on the other end remarked, “How are you doing? It’s been a month already.”

“Good, quite frankly… I finally found a job, and to my luck, my boss is also English. I like the neighborhood, but there seems to be a problem,” Spike explained as he sat down on the bench near the flight of steps.

“What is it?”

“I seem to be falling for my neighbor…” Spike murmured, barely audible. He could hear Angel sigh on the other end.

“Oh… well then, are you sure? I mean, do you still think about Cordy, if you don’t mind me asking,” Angel calmly stated, his voice trying to stay that way. Spike sighed resiliently, his confusion sinking in his exhalation. Angel continued, “Have you made a move or said something about her looks?”

“No… I’m so confused, Angel, I love Cordelia, but I’m starting to feel something for Buffy…”

“Buffy… that’s her name?”

“Yes…” was all that Spike answered before weight pounded upon his shoulders. ‘Oh God… I’m so confused…’ he thought as he heard Angel babble on the other line.

“Well, Spike, I just called to see how you were doing. I’ll come down soon to see the place,” Angel remarked before he just clicked off. Spike threw his cell phone against the seat cushion next to him and slammed himself backwards. The pain didn’t matter; the confusion had taken over his whole body. The darkness consumed him and he needed to get out quickly.

~*~*~*~

“Buffy… if we do this problem, maybe we can figure out the other one,” Buffy’s friend, Willow stated as she stared deeper into the College Algebra book. The redhead and the blonde occupied the bedroom quietly as they tried to do their college work, but Buffy didn’t listen to the redhead; her mind was on something else… ‘Spike…’

“Buffy?” Willow asked as she turned to Buffy.

“What?”

“Who is ‘Spike’?” Buffy’s eyes widened. ‘I said that out loud! Oh God!’

“Oh… he’s umm… my neighbor…” Buffy could feel Willow’s beaming smile encircling her lips.

“Is he that hot bleached-blonde guy that jogs with you in the morning?” Willow interrogated with interest, plopping closer to Buffy for answers. The blonde’s cheeks flushed in red heat as she thought about the man…

“Yes… he is. That’s Spike,” Buffy retorted, a smile weakly appearing on her lips.

“You like him, do you? I know you, Buffy. We grew up together!” Willow exclaimed as she stood up in front of her friend. Buffy crossed her arms around her chest in defeat, and glanced up at Willow.

“You know when I try to lie, don’t you?” Buffy remarked. Willow lifted her head in acknowledgement and crossed her arms, a smile curling with pride. Buffy sighed as Willow sat back down next to her in her bed. “Yes, I like him, but I think it’s more than just that…its like I’m suppose to be with him or something. It gives me the wiggins.”

“Well… I just hope this is the right guy for you, Buffy. Riley was a big idiot, and still is, by the way, but I hope you think this is the right thing,” Willow solemnly stated, “ I back you up one hundred percent.”

“Thanks Willow,” Buffy replied and hugged the redhead.

~*~*~*~

Couple of days later…

“Buffy!” a voice called from far away. Buffy sipped on her favorite mocha cappuccino from Dunkin Donuts, and abruptly turned around to see Riley running straight toward her. Buffy rolled her eyes and continued walking on the sidewalk.

“Buffy!” he called out again, and hastily grabbed her arm to turn her around, dropping the cappuccino.

“What do you want?” Buffy hissed under her breath, staring venomously at the man. Riley felt ire build up in his chest, his eyes filling in with fire.

“I’ve been trying to get you away from Peroxide Boy, and this is the only time, so now you’re coming with me,” he fizzed, his teeth clenched together in resentment. Buffy struggled in his arms as she tried to set herself free. It was no use; he was too strong for her.

“Let me go!” Buffy yelled as he pulled her to a nearby alley. “Riley, please, let go of me!”

“Not until I get what I need from you!” Riley bellowed, slamming her against the wall. He plunged his mouth against her neck, hungrily kissing it and touching her elsewhere. Buffy began to cry out in tears, and began to pray for help. Suddenly, Riley was thrusted away from her body, and thrown against the wall.

“Buffy, are you okay?” Buffy turned to see Spike standing there before kicking Riley in the abdomen. She nodded as the tears continued to stream down her cheeks. Spike picked up the military man by his collar, staring in to his swollen eyes.

“I told you that I will be with her, cardboard,” he murmured and shoved him to the floor. “Stay away from her, you bint. I warn you.” Spike turned his attention to the delicate Buffy, just standing there and staring at Spike. He took her hand and began to walk to his home.

“S-Spike?” she cried out as they walked into the living room of his house, and he wrapped his arms around her. She sobbed uncontrollably, as if she were a young child.

“It’s okay, Buffy. I’m here, Shh,” he cooed into her ear, rocking back and forth. He released her from his arms, and cupped her cheek in his hand. “He won’t hurt you anymore, Buffy.”

“Do you promise?” she innocently asked, staring deeply into Spike’s unfathomable blue eyes. Spike’s stomach lurched sideways at Buffy’s stare…’Go for it, bloke… kiss her…’ his mind scattered the thought through his brain.

“I promise, and I keep my promises,” he whispered as he crept closer to the small frame, feeling the heat of her delicate skin inching closer to him. Sensation grew over him as he slightly brushed his lips against hers, her soft skin gracefully soothing his. It was a part of heaven for Spike. As they parted from their embrace, Buffy couldn’t help but smile at the bleached blonde.

“Thank you, for being there for me,” Buffy whispered, muffled as she buried her face on his chest. They stood there for a while; Spike took in her vanilla scent as his thoughts went back to the basement ordeal. The voice was coming to be right… ‘Maybe I am forgetting about her…’

“Spike?” Buffy’s fragile voice called out. Spike gazed down at the small blonde. “Tell me about your past.” Spike knew that question would pop up, and he knew that he needed to tell her. The two sat down on the nearby couch, and Spike turned on the lamp.

“Well, a couple of years ago, I met a girl…”

~*~*~*~

To Be Continued…

A/N: I’m so sorry that I kept you guys waiting soooo long! My sister was out of town and took my laptop!!! Argh! Oh well, here I am! Angst is on the leash! Spike is going tell Buffy about Cordelia… what do you guys think should happen? Let me know and your ideas might be in the next chapter!!

Thanks so much for the reviews. I appreciate them greatly. Let’s get some more in, okay? Love ya guys!

-Jess