AU: Spike thought that he could never love again, not after his fiancée’s tragic accident. So he moves to Sunnydale, in hopes of forgetting his past… but suddenly, his plans turn upside-down when he meets his new next-door neighbor, Buffy. Will Spike be able to love again? What will happen? Just read and review!

~*~*~*~

Chapter Four: Flashbacks

~*~*~*~

Spike held the Los Angeles Times in one hand and his cup of coffee in the other as he made his way through the busy sidewalks of the City of Angels. His mind burst in thoughts of his pending work, and really wasn’t in the mood for funny business. He took a quick peek at the newspaper as he crossed the street when suddenly he lifted his head as he heard the screeching tires of a car in front of him. It took him a few seconds to jump back to give the car enough time to stop, dropping his paper and coffee at the reaction.

“Oh God, I’m so sorry!” a young woman came out of the car, concern encircling her eyes. Spike looked up at her to say an obscenity, but quickly shut his mouth at the sight in front of him. She was a short brunette, with beautiful brown eyes and pink curved lips.

“No it’s quite alright, really…”

“No, no it’s not! I should be looking at what I’m doing on the road. At least let me give you a ride to wherever you were going,” the young woman insisted.

“Alright… my name is William Connor.” Spike held out his hand.

“I’m Cordelia Chase.” She shook his hand in greeting.

~*~*~*~

“She sounds like a beautiful woman,” Buffy remarked as Spike handed her a cup of tea.

“She really was…” Spike’s voice trailed off and sipped the steaming liquid.

“Did you start dating her?” Buffy blurted out shyly, her cheeks becoming two vivid miniature tomatoes. Spike smiled at her reaction, but quickly returned to his solemn stare.

“A couple of weeks after… We spent a year dating, and then, I asked her to marry me,” Spike replied, putting down the cup on the coffee table.

“You don’t sound very happy about that,” Buffy whispered loudly, causing Spike to turn his glare toward her. He couldn’t help but just stare at her beautiful face; she looked so innocent and caring.

“I was happy… for six months,” he finally stated, before sitting forward and placing his hands under his chin and elbows on his knees. This was going to be the hard part.

“What happened?”

“There was a car accident. A drunk driver hit Cordelia’s car on the driver’s side,” he murmured perceptibly, a tear sneaking down his cheek, “The impact was so hard that it pushed her toward the passenger side.”

“Oh God.”

~*~*~*~

“Baby, please, don’t go... I need you…” Spike choked his words out as he took the woman’s hand in his. She smiled weakly, lifting up her hand and softly touching his cheek. The gurney came to a stop at the entrance of the exam room. “Cordelia… I love you… please…”

“I love you too, Spike… I always will…” she stuttered out before becoming a lifeless body. Spike’s eyes widened in fear, his tears becoming streams.

“CORDELIA!”

~*~*~*~

“I-I don’t know what to say…” Buffy stuttered as her tears streamed down her cheeks. Spike just gazed at the wall across from him, trying to hide the barrages on his face.

“I-I try so hard to forget her and move on, but it’s really hard,” Spike finally broke down in sobs, burying his face in his hands. Buffy eyes softened and placed her hand on his shoulder for comfort. Spike raised his face to hers, seeing the understanding in her green orbs.

“Come here,” she whispered, pulling him into an embrace. Spike cried like a child on her neck, something he never did before. Buffy rubbed her hands on his back in comfort and whispered, “Just let it out, Spike… let it out.”

They sat like that for what seemed hours, and finally, Spike pulled away from Buffy’s arms, staring at her with keen. She helped him, and he was much appreciated.

“I won’t tell anyone about this. I promise,” Buffy smiled, her eyes sparkling with eagerness. Spike returned the smile and kissed both of her cheeks frivolously, and he sealed it with a soft peck on her lips.
“Thank you…” he whispered delicately against her lips. The sensation of his lips close to Buffys’ sent chills down her spine. He continued, “Thank you for listening to me.”

“You’re welcome.”

~*~*~*~

A Couple of Weeks Later…

The bags of groceries were getting heavy for Buffy to hold on to. She power-walked down the sidewalk as she thought; ‘the house is just a couple of blocks away. I can make it…’ Suddenly she felt one of her hands buoyantly hang free. She turned around and saw Spike just standing there, the bag of groceries in one arm and a bouquet of roses in the other.

“Well, Mister Connor, what a lovely surprise,” Buffy greeted jokingly as the two walked down the street. “It’s been a while since I last saw you…”

“Yeah, well work has been a drag, and I’ve been trying to work the courage to talk to you,” Spike ingenuously remarked as he handed her the buttonhole of flowers. Buffy smiled widely, taking the flora from him and holding it against her chest.

“Thanks Spike,” she whispered imperceptibly and leaned in, pecking him faintly on his lips. Spike grinned as he parted from the blonde.

“I always love to cheer you up, pet,” he added as they walked into the front yard of the Summers’ home.

“Why do you say that you tried to work the courage to talk to me? You are right now,” Buffy admitted as they entered the home. The cool brisk air splashed their faces as they made their way to the kitchen. Buffy set down the groceries on the counter and went for a vase to place the flowers. Spike just watched her as she carefully undid the rubber band and delicately cut the bottom nubs of the roses to put in the water. His heart clenched tightly, urging him to spill out what he had to say.

“Well, I might as well do it… umm, do you want to go on a date with me tonight?” he finally asked with a sigh at the end of his question. Buffy dropped her small knife on the countertop, her mouth formed in‘awe’. She turned herself, her cheeks furiously blushing.

“Where would we go?” she asked bashfully, crossing her arms over her chest. Spike just shrugged his shoulders.

“I don’t know. I can pick you up around seven and take you to eat at fanciest restaurant in this town and then go to that place… what is it called? The Bronze?”

“That sounds like a plan,” Buffy whispered loudly, a smile curling softly on her lips.

“It’s a date, then…”

~*~*~*~

To Be Continued…

A/N: Thanks for reviewing and giving me confidence in continuing. It really means a lot to me. There is going to be bashing soon, so be prepared! Sorry that my story has been a little weak, but I promise I will try to make it more interesting.

Thanks,

Jess