AU: Spike thought that he could never love again, not after his fiancée’s tragic accident. So he moves to Sunnydale, in hopes of forgetting his past… but suddenly, his plans turn upside-down when he meets his new next-door neighbor, Buffy. Will Spike be able to love again? What will happen? Just read and review!

~*~*~*~

Chapter Five: Problems

~*~*~*~

Spike white-knuckled the steering wheel as he drove down Main Street toward The Bronze. He could see Buffy from the corner of his eye, her innocent orbs staring out the window in deep thought. Spike pursed his lips tightly and continued to stare ahead.

“Spike?” Buffy called out, her voice undertone. Spike parked the car across from the Bronze and turned off the engine. He swiftly turned to glance at her, his eyes full of concern.

“What?” he mumbled mellifluously.

“What was your first date like… with Cordelia…” she trailed off, not wanting him to get upset. Spike just smiled, still gripping the steering wheel.

“Well, I took her to the amusement park…”

~*~*~*~

“Spike, where are you taking me?” Cordelia cried out as she touched her blindfold. Spike quickly grabbed her hand as he drove down the road.

“Don’t think about it, Cordy,” he stated acerbically, and laughed as he stopped the car. “I told you to trust me.”

“Okay, okay… I trust you!”

“Alright… you can take them off now,” Spike remarked, and gripped the steering wheel. Cordelia took the blindfold off her face and gasped.

“Oh my… you brought me to the amusement park! Thank you, Spike!”

~*~*~*~

“That was really sweet of you, Spike,” Buffy awed as the two walked into the Bronze. Spike blushed furiously as he felt Buffy curl her arm around his for secure. ”She must have been really happy.”

“Yes, she was.”

“Buffy!” a female voice called from far away. Buffy turned herself to see Willow and Xander at a table, waving at them. Buffy tugged Spike pleadingly to join them.

“Hey Buffy,” Willow greeted as the two blondes sat down next to them.

“Hey you guys.”

“Hi, I’m Xander,” Xander introduced himself to Spike as he held out his hand. Spike accepted it gladly.

“I’m William, but call me Spike,” he returned the greeting.

“Where did you get ‘Spike’ from?”

“Long story,” Spike laughed. “Do you want a drink, Buffy? I’m going to get some, too.”

“Sure. Coke, please…”

“Come on, Xander, and I’ll tell you the long story,” Spike chuckled as the two men stood up, heading for the bar. Buffy smiled and turned to Willow.

“Oh my GOD!” the redhead squealed. Buffy smiled widely at her friend.

“I know!”

“Is this the first date? Where did you guys go?”

“We went to the new Italian restaurant down by the motel…”

“And?”

“And… it was wonderful! We spent the whole time talking about… everything!”

“Awe!!”

“I don’t know why you’re going out with Captain Peroxide,” a voice murmured close by the two. The two girls turned to see Riley standing in front of them.

“Get away, Riley. I don’t know how many times I have to tell you to stay away,” Buffy stated angrily.

“You know, that goes in one ear and out the other,” he snapped politely, grabbing Buffy’s arm and ushering her out of her seat.

“Leave her alone, Riley,” Willow bellowed civilly, her eyes changing from the regular brown to a deep red.

“You stay out of this, bitch!”

“DON’T EVER call a lady that!” Spike’s voice came out of nowhere, and Riley was pushed away from the girls. Xander was running to catch up with Spike.

“Well, its not nice to see you again, Peroxide,” Riley spat as Spike grabbed him by the collar.

“Likewise, Cardboard,” Spike spoke with his teeth clenched together. Xander hugged the two girls for protection.

“I’m going to keep coming back, and every time it’s going to be worse. You’ll never know what’s going to happen,” Riley whispered, gasping for air as Spike tightened his grip around his neck.

“Stay away, or you’ll lose your fingers,” Spike roared shoving the military man out of the Bronze. As he returned, he saw Buffy running toward him and grabbed him with a large thud.

“Oh God, Spike, he’s never going to leave me alone,” Buffy whispered against his chest, feeling her search for more warmth.

“He will, Buffy… do you want to go home?”

“No,” she quickly answered, taking his hand and taking him to the dance floor. “We still haven’t danced together.”

“Oh… okay,” Spike stuttered as Buffy encircled her arms around his neck and he placed his hands on her slender waist. They swayed slowly to the music, their bodies compressed together.

“You’re a beautiful dancer, Spike,” Buffy whispered and leaned her head against his neckline. Spike gulped and his knees weakened.

“You too, Buffy,” he returned a compliment. It felt like they swayed to the music forever and to the both of them, it felt really nice. As the song came to an end, Buffy parted from Spike, still holding his hands, and smiled up at him. ‘I can’t believe I’m falling for him!’

“I should be taking you home now,” Spike whispered, the two still standing on the dance floor. Buffy nodded and followed the blonde to their table to gather their things.

“Buffy, you take care,” Willow stated and hugged her friend. Buffy returned the hug lovingly and waved at Xander.

“I like your friends, Buffy,” Spike admitted as they walked out of the Bronze. He slipped his hand in his pockets, hoping to feel his keys, but somehow they weren’t there.

“Oh dear, I forgot my keys at the table,” Spike calmly remarked, turning around, “Wait for me here.”

“Okay.”

Spike walked back into the Bronze, spotting Willow and Xander still sitting at the same table. He speedily strolled over to them.

“What happened, Spike?” Willow asked as the blonde searched for the keys.

“I seemed to have lost my keys.”

“Oh, found them,” Xander cried as he leaned down on the floor and grabbed the metallic clingers.

“Thanks.”

“Oh, we’re leaving. We’ll walk out with you,” Xander uttered, grabbing his coat and ushering Willow with him. Spike smiled mildly as the three walked out of the Bronze.

Suddenly their happy glances disappeared when they saw Buffy walking across the street. In a split second, a car charged at the petite blonde, knocking her over, headfirst.

“BUFFY!”

~*~*~*~

To Be Continued…

A/N: I told you there were going to be some angst coming soon. Sorry I took so long to update. As you know I’m writing another story! I hope you guys review and tell me what you think!

-Jess