AU: Spike thought that he could never love again, not after his fiancée’s tragic accident. So he moves to Sunnydale, in hopes of forgetting his past… but suddenly, his plans turn upside-down when he meets his new next-door neighbor, Buffy. Will Spike be able to love again? What will happen? Just read and review!

~*~*~*~

Chapter Six: Bittersweet Agony

~*~*~*~

“Buffy! Wake up, Buffy!” Spike yelped as he shook the unconscious body. Xander was pacing as he spoke to the emergency operator on the phone. Willow on the other hand, sat on the curb, bawling her eyes out helplessly.

“Spike, the operator said not to move the body,” Xander implied as he pulled Spike off the floor. A fresh stream of tears sneaked out of his blue orbs, rubbing them quickly as he saw the ambulance stopping in the middle of the street.

“What happened here?” one of the paramedics asked, first spotting Willow weeping on the curb, then Spike shedding tears madly, and then down at the unconscious body.

“W-we were walking out of the Bronze and Buffy was crossing the street to get to the car. W-we were about 40 feet away from her and we couldn’t reach her when the car hit her,” Xander stuttered, watching the paramedics check Buffy.

“She’s going to the hospital. Who’s going to come with her?” the other paramedic asked. Spike nodded, wiping the tears carelessly off his face.

“I’ll go,” he remarked as he watched them mount Buffy on the gurney. Memories flooded into his mind from the previous accident he witnessed. ‘I’m not going to let this happen again!’

~*~*~*~

“Spike, I have to go home!” Cordelia remarked as she tried to wriggle out of Spike’s arms. The blonde pouted at the brunette and kissed her neck lovingly. She giggled, shivers tingling down her back.

“I love you,” she whispered and brushed her lips against his.

“I love you, too,” Spike whispered back, giving her one last kiss and let her go. He watched her step into her car and turn on the engine. Cordelia looked up at her fiancé on last time before backing out of the drive way and exiting the LA suburbs…

But something didn’t seem right… Suddenly, as Spike turned around to go in, he heard a loud crash behind him. He turned his head to see Cordelia’s car smashed in the center while the other car damaged twice against the light pole.

“Oh God!”

~*~*~*~

“Come on, sir,” the third paramedic called from inside the ambulance. Spike looked back at the red head and at Xander.

“Call Joyce. Tell her what’s going on,” Spike stated before the ambulance doors were closed and driven away from the scene. Spike stared down at Buffy, and took her limp hand in his. He gently kissed her palm and placed it against his cheek.

“You love her, don’t you?” the female across from him blurted. Spike gazed up at her and smiled mildly, the tears still streaming down.

“Yes… I guess I do,” he remarked determined and glanced down at the unconscious blonde. “I love you, Buffy.”

~*~*~*~

“Oh God! William!” the familiar voice called out as Spike had his head in his hands, staring down at the floor. He jolted up, recognizing the dirty-blonde hair and the tall frame.

“Joyce,” he whispered before hugging the elder woman. Joyce sobbed deeply against his shoulder, her voice crackling as she started to speak.

“What happened, William?”

“We were walking out and forgot my bloody keys at the table, so I told her to wait for me outside while I went to get them. When I returned I saw her walking across the street and…” his voice trailed off as he tears gushed out like a river overflowing its banks. Joyce’s lip quivered as she dipped her head in her hands, weeping frantically like a child.

“Oh William… Oh dear Lord…”

“I wish I could have prevented what happened Joyce… I-I wish it didn’t happen… Oh bloody hell…” Spike cleaned his eyes, revealing his blue eyes completely bloodshot. He had never cried like this since Cordelia’s accident. He had never reacted about a woman like this. ‘I’m really in love with her…’

“Spike! Mrs. Summers!” Xander called out as he entered with Willow and Dawn. “Anything new?”

“Nothing…”

“Um, who came in with Ms. Elisabeth Summers?” a doctor asked from the reception desk. Joyce and Spike stood up quickly and raced to the doctor.

“I came in with her…” Spike replied.

“And she’s my daughter,” Joyce added. The doctor looked at the two.

“Okay, then I need the mother to come with me,” the doctor remarked as he ushered her to one of the exam rooms. Spike grabbed the doctor’s arm.

“Joyce, can I go with you, please?” he pleaded, his eyes showing concern. Joyce thought for a moment and then nodded in agreement.

“Alright, my name is Doctor Charles Gunn,” the man greeted himself as he shook hands with both Joyce and Spike. “Your daughter, Elisabeth, experienced a severe concussion on the upper right hand corner of her forehead that unfortunately forced her into a coma… she can wake up in a couple of weeks, but you would never know.”

“Oh God…” Joyce whispered, placing a hand on her mouth. Spike just blinked involuntarily.

“She’s situated on the ICU wing until she is awake,” Charles added, and placed a hand on Joyce’s shoulder, “I’m really sorry.”

“Can you take us to the room?” Spike asked blankly.

“Of course.”

~*~*~*~

“Here you go. If you need anything, just press the nurse button,” Charles whispered as he opened the hospital room and strolled down the hallway. Spike entered the darkened room, followed by Joyce. Buffy lay cataleptically on the bed, noisy machines surrounding her with beeps and thuds. Joyce scrambled to her daughter, kneeling next to the bed, and grabbed the cold hand in hers.

“Oh my Buffy,” she whispered and kissed her daughter’s hand. Spike leaned against the wall, staring at the sleeping blonde across from him. His sighed deeply, trying to hold back the tears from surfacing again. He stood there from what seemed hours, just watching the elder Summers whispered hopelessly to Buffy.

“Spike?” a small voice called from the door. He turned to see Dawn with Willow and Xander, just standing there.

“I think you should take Joyce home. She needs rest,” he blurted out, and walked over to the woman. He placed a hand on her shoulder and turned her around. “I’ll stay with Buffy. Don’t worry.”

Joyce just nodded as she walked out the door with her younger daughter and the others, leaving Spike in the room alone. The blonde sat down on the bed next to Buffy, admiring the soft curls in her hair and how peaceful she was in her sleep, but he wanted her to wake up and see her smiling again. He leaned down and kissed her forehead intently, his mind harshly accusing him of what happened.

“I won’t let you, die Buffy. I love you.”

~*~*~*~

One month later…

The bright sun illuminated the room as Spike pushed the curtains aside, revealing the street below. He sighed deeply; he wasn’t happy at all. Buffy was still at the hospital, vegged out. Everyday he would go visit her; he would go in hope of seeing her beautiful smile waiting for him in the room… but his hopes backfired when he would still see her on the bed, her eyes closed shut.

“Bloody hell,” he muttered and rushed to the bathroom.

~*~*~*~

“Joyce… wake up,” Spike whispered as he shook the elder woman. Joyce jolted slightly and raised her head from the bedspread. Spike sighed as he stared at Joyce and then at Buffy.

“Go home, Joyce. I’ll stay with her.” Joyce nodded and grabbed her belongings.

“Hey Buffy,” Spike whispered and kissed the blonde’s forehead. “I missed you… a lot in fact. I can’t wait to see your sweet smile.”

He grabbed a nearby chair and sat down next to the bed. He gently took Buffy’s hand in his, and kissed her knuckles. He gazed at her hand intently, memorizing every wrinkle, every freckle. He turned to stare up at her face, no expression shown on it. ‘I can’t lose her…’

~*~*~*~

Cordelia sat on the edge of the pier, gaping at the sunset hovering over the horizon. Spike watched her from behind, smiling affectionately and wishing the moment would never end. Cordelia stood up and turned to Spike, tears rolling down her cheeks.

“Thank you, Spike,” she whispered as she wrapped her arms around the blonde. Spike returned the hug willingly and parted from her, staring into her deep brown orbs. He leaned in, carefully brushing his lips against hers. As he stole one more kiss, he parted from her, but it wasn’t Cordelia anymore.

It was Buffy.

The scenery suddenly changed to the front porch of his house where the moon illuminated attentively.

“I love you, Spike,” she whispered into his ear before everything turned black in front of his eyes.

“No!”

~*~*~*~

“No!” Spike yelled as he jerked up, beads of sweat rushing down his face. His eyes searched for the familiar faces, but all he saw was a white bedspread.

“S-Spike?” a sweet voice called him. Spike turned his head toward the unconscious body lying by him; only the body wasn’t unconscious anymore. A weak smile crept Spike’s face as his eyes widened at the sight of Buffy, just sitting up and watching him.

“Buffy, y-you’re awake!”

“Hi Spike.”

~*~*~*~

A/N: Thanks so much for the reviews. Keep them coming!! You guys are a great help.

-Jess