AU: Spike thought that he could never love again, not after his fiancée’s tragic accident. So he moves to Sunnydale, in hopes of forgetting his past… but suddenly, his plans turn upside-down when he meets his new next-door neighbor Buffy. Will Spike be able to love again? What will happen? Just read and review!

~*~*~*~

Chapter Seven: Reality

~*~*~*~

Just as they took Cordelia away, another gurney came in with the man that hit her. Anger grew in Spike’s body as the bed passed by him. Time stopped as he took a good look at the man. The drunk just smiled at him when he was rolled away. A mild scent of alcohol filled the area, causing Spike’s stomach to capsize. A nurse passed by, and Spike stopped her.

“Who was that man?” he asked. The nurse looked at him; he was cover with blood and his clothing was chaotic.

“That man is Lindsey Callahan and he was driving drunk.”


~*~*~*~

“It’s good to see that you’re awake, Buffy,” Spike whispered as he cupped her cheek, a single tear streaming down his face. A smile formed on Buffy’s lips, heat flushing her own face. “Did you see who hit you, Buffy?” Buffy shook her head.

“No. It is a little hazy. I’ll begin to remember with time. What happened while I was out?” she asked calmly, her voice a little soar. Spike didn’t want to touch the subject until she wanted to talk about it. Everyone knew who it was; they were just waiting for Buffy to confirm it.

“A lot, actually,” Spike answered and straightened himself in his seat. “Your mother has spent every night here with and I spent every time I had lunch break here with you and after work, I would come. Then your sister would come and take over and I’d go home and try to sleep, but I couldn’t.”

“I’m sorry. I’m so clumsy and I didn’t look. I feel so guilty and I took everyone’s time-“

“No, Buffy. Don’t say that, okay?” Spike interrupted her, grabbing her hands and squeezed them tightly. “You are worth the time. I couldn’t bear the idea of not seeing you.”

“Thank you for making me feel wanted, Spike,” Buffy whispered and returned the squeeze.

Silence invaded the room and the two just sat there, staring at each other, their eyes glowing with tenderness. Spike reached up to Buffy and cupped her cheek, rubbing his thumb gently to clear the tears. Without thinking twice, he leaned up and brushed his lips against hers. It was an amorous kiss; it was nothing like the others they had shared. As they parted, Buffy stared at the man before her, her stomach leaping and lop siding at the same time. Spike smiled affectionately, his eyes glowing with ardor.

“I’m going to go call your family to come and see you,” he whispered and kissed her one more time. He stood up and he headed for the door. Just as he opened the door, Buffy stopped him.

“Spike…” she called him breathlessly. He turned around, his chest burning with fire and stared at her.

“Thank you.”

~*~*~*~

Spike sat in his living room, observing the box that sat in front of him. It was awkward since it was Cordelia’s belongings. After staring at it for about fifteen minutes, he decided to go through it.

Pictures of them were scattered everywhere with notes and scribbles, but something caught his eye at the bottom of the box. It was a journal that had doodles all over it. The book looked very old, maybe from when she was in school. The doodles were quite small to read, so he grabbed it and pulled it closer.

“Bloody Hell...” he bellowed, his eyes widening in horror as he dropped the diary.

It read ‘I love Lindsey Callahan’.


~*~*~*~

“Mom, I’m okay!” Buffy exclaimed as her mother showered her in kisses and hugs. Dawn lay next to her, her arms dangling around her sister and snuggled next to her. Spike sat in the corner, admiring the Summers before him.

Buffy watched the man with endearing eyes, smiling strappingly her lips as he returned the stare. His cerulean orbs shimmered from the sun’s rays coming through the window. The light curved his cheekbones, showing every edge and arc. His white shirt coiled his body perfectly, extracting every muscle underneath. Buffy’s stomach fluttered furiously and turned to her sister that had fallen asleep next to her. Joyce grabbed a chair from nearby and sat next to the gurney. Hours had passed and all of them were still there, talking about the latest news.

“Ms. Summers?” a male voice asked from the door. The four turned to the door to see two policemen standing with notebooks in hand. Buffy sat up, getting their full attention.

“Yes?”

“I’m Detective Greg Lennox and this is my partner Corporal Eddie Herrera,” the first man introduced himself and his colleague. Buffy turned to Spike, who showed no expression on his face. The corporal spoke up.

“Is it okay if we ask you a few questions?” Buffy sighed as she nodded.

“Mom, Dawn… can you guys step outside?” she asked and the two women reluctantly complied. Spike got up and headed for the door as well.

“Spike, can you stay please?” Spike turned around, staring into Buffy’s emerald orbs and nodded. The two cops exchanged glances as the blonde man sat next to the woman and took her hand in his.

“Okay Detective. I’m ready.”

~*~*~*~

A/N: I’m so sorry I took so long to update! My American History teacher does not know the meaning of a ‘personal life’. He’s cramming all his classes with term papers and I might not update until after Thanksgiving. I hope you guys will still love my story. Don’t give up hope on me! Thanks so much for waiting on me and again, Sorry!

-Jess