AU: Spike thought that he could never love again, not after his fiancée’s tragic accident. So he moves to Sunnydale, in hopes of forgetting his past… but suddenly, his plans turn upside-down when he meets his new next-door neighbor, Buffy. Will Spike be able to love again? What will happen? Just read and review

~*~*~*~

Chapter Nine: Loved

~*~*~*~

She saw him standing at the door… he was there the whole time she was talking to Spike. She knew it was him.

“Who is it, Buffy?” Spike asked anxiously as he squeezed his grip on Buffy’s hand.

“He was just here. His face triggered the memory,” Buffy answered, closing her eyes as she pictured what she saw behind Spike moments before. The man with dark features had stood there listening to their conversation. She would recognize him anywhere.

“Tell me… please…” Spike pleaded, having the sudden urge to kill the man that did this. Buffy stared in the blonde’s blue eyes, reality pushing her in the face.

“It was Riley…”

~*~*~*~

Riley always watched her silently from the door. He would come at night and just stare at her from the entrance of her room. He knew that when he saw her, she would accuse him.

Just outside the hospital, Riley stood next to one of the big maple trees that reached the height of the building. He dragged on the cigarette he placed in his mouth; he didn’t want to smoke, but ever since he split with Buffy, he needed to relax himself.

“Riley Finn?” a voice called from behind him. He turned to see three men standing in guard position.

“I’m Sergeant Eddie Herrera from the Sunnydale PD. We have reason to believe that you were involved in a hit-and-run about six weeks ago. We have a witness that claim to see your face in the car,” the cop explained to Riley his reason of presence.

Riley widened his eyes, dropping his cigarette from his mouth, and turned to run away. As he did, the two other cops ran after him and tackled him to the ground.

“Riley Finn, you are under arrest.”

~*~*~*~

Buffy had returned home a week after the police arrested Riley in front of the hospital. She was glad that she was finally out of the there, but she was happier that Spike was with her. The two sat in the living room; Buffy was snuggled up next to Spike, her arm draped around his chest as he drew imaginary circles on her back.

Joyce watched them from the entrance of the kitchen, smiling profusely at how much they had grown attached. She was very delighted when the two told her that they had decided to start a relationship together. He is so much better than Riley; Spike is one hundred times better than Riley, Joyce thought as she returned to the kitchen.

“Buffy, are you comfortable?” Spike whispered as he leaned his forehead against her head. Buffy tightened her grip around him, snuggling closer to him willingly. Spike smiled internally, his hand rising to the back of her neck.

“Yes I am, Spike,” she whispered in return, and pulled her head up to stare into his eyes. She smiled tenderly as he drew her closer for an avid embrace.

“Do you want to go to the Bronze tonight, princess?” he asked her as she pulled away from him. She cocked her head to the side in question.

“Sure… what’s going on at the Bronze, tonight?” Spike smiled widely as the two stood up from the couch, and headed to the kitchen.

“Well, I want to take you to have a good time…” he turned to face Buffy, who had an uncertain look on her face. “Don’t worry, love, I won’t leave you… ever…” He brought her into his arms as they hugged at the kitchen entrance.

“I love you…” Buffy sighed as they parted from the clinch. Spike smiled at her remark.

“I love you, Buffy…” He kissed her forehead and wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

“Well, look who decided to join us here in the kitchen,” Joyce announced blissfully as she held a basin of salad in her hands. Dawn was behind her, cutting a pair of green bell peppers to make sautéed onions.

“Mom, we want to go the Bronze. We’ll eat when we get back,” Buffy retorted, resting her head on Spike’s muscular chest. Joyce just smiled at her daughter in compromise.

“Go have fun, sweetheart,” she stated and turned to Spike. “Take care of her.”

“I will.”

~*~*~*~

The place was packed with people dancing, drinking, or just sitting around talking and joking. Buffy held Spike’s hand rather tightly, fearing that if she let go, she would lose him in the crowd. They found Willow at a table by herself, and made their way toward her.

“Hey, Wills,” Buffy greeted as she sat next to her. The redhead smiled widely at her friend and the recent addition to the group.

“Hey Buffy! How are this going for you two?” she asked, watching them cuddle together.

“Its great…” Buffy answered as she turned to Spike, who smiled extensively and pulled her closer for a kiss. Willow rolled her eyes at the two and grinned. Buffy stared in Spike’s sapphire eyes, engulfing the lust into her own.

“Well, what do you want to drink, love?” he asked her as he stood up.

“Water would be good,” she answered and he left the two girls together. Willow couldn’t help but smile at her blonde friend; she was happy for her.

“How are things with you, Willow? Anything new?” Buffy asked as she scooted herself to sit next to Willow. The redhead stared at the ceiling with a grin on her lips.

“Well… you can say that…”

“Willow…” Buffy warned as Willow began to laugh nervously.

“Okay! I’m seeing someone!” Willow exclaimed as Buffy gasped. She grabbed Willow’s hand in celebration.

“Who is the lucky man, Wills?” Buffy asked as she searched the crowd.

“You’ll see, Buff,” Willow simply said and turned her attention elsewhere. Buffy shrugged and began to wonder where Spike had gone. She began to worry.

“Don’t worry, Buffy… he’ll be back soon,” Willow assured her as she noticed Buffy’s fret.

“Well everyone, let’s give a round of applause to Oz and the Dingoes, featuring their former Dingo, Spike!” the two girls jolt to stare at the stage. Buffy’s mouth dropped open at the sight of Spike plunked in the center of the stage. He had his shirtsleeves rolled up and his tie was undone around his neck. His first five buttons on his shirt were undone, revealing his upper chest.

“Did you know about this, Willow?” Buffy asked as she turned to face the redhead next to her. Willow just shrugged her shoulders.

“No… I didn’t…” she simply stated and stood up to join the crowd in front of the band.

“Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for having me here. I’m going to dedicate this song to a certain blonde out in the crowd who I think brings out the best in me…” Spike stated as he began to brush his fingers against the strings on his guitar. He turned toward Buffy, his penetrating blue eyes showing fervor, and smiled at her. “I love you, Buffy…”

Beauty queen of only eighteen
She had some trouble with herself
He was always there to help her
She always belonged to someone else

I drove for miles and miles
And wound up at your door
I've had you so many times but somehow
I want more

I don't mind spending everyday
Out on your corner in the pouring rain
Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
And she will be loved
She will be loved


The words sunk into Buffy’s mind as she leaned her head against the seat, her eyes never leaving Spike’s. She heart paced quicker than normal, and her palms were sweaty and sticky.

Tap on my window knock on my door
I want to make you feel beautiful
I know I tend to get so insecure
It doesn't matter anymore

It's not always rainbows and butterflies
It's compromise that moves us along
My heart is full and my door's always open
You can come anytime you want


As they sang the chorus, Buffy stood up from her seat, slowly making her way through the groups of people in front of the stage. Spike never took his eyes off of her; his heart throbbed out of place when he watched Buffy coming toward him. A single tear streamed down Buffy’s cheek as she heard the chorus.

I know where you hide
Alone in your car
Know all of the things that make you who you are
I know that goodbye means nothing at all
Comes back and begs me to catch her every time she falls

Tap on my window knock on my door
I want to make you feel beautiful

I don't mind spending everyday
Out on your corner in the pouring rain, oh
Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
And she will be loved
She will be loved

And She will be loved
And She will be loved

Please don't try so hard to say good-bye


Buffy reached the edge of the stage, and she placed her hands on the edge of the platform. Spike smiled down at her, and offered her his hand to raise her up to his level. She took it willingly, and was raised to the top wit the band.

“Thank you…” Buffy whispered as she wrapped her arms around Spike’s neck. He smiled, closing his eyes as he felt her warmth seeping into his body. He picked her up from the ground, her feet dangling in the air, and twirled her around. After setting her down, he stared into her eyes, revealing the tears in them.

“Are those happy tears, love?” he asked as he placed his forehead against hers. She smiled lovingly and nodded her head. He returned the smile and slowly leaned down, grazing his lips on hers. The crowd cheered as they watched the couple kiss on stage.

~*~*~*~

After sneakily grabbing his notebook from underneath the bed, Riley sat down in the in the corner of the cell and began to write with a flashlight in hand.

“Turn the damn light off, Finn!” a voice screamed from inside the cell, obviously annoyed.

“Shut up Callahan, if you know what’s good for you,” Riley spat as he looked up to the top of the bunk bed. A man jumped down from it as he heard his name.

“What are you doing, Finn?” Riley raised his head at the man’s question.

“How did you say you knew Spike Connor?” Riley asked curiously.

“The son of a bitch was going to marry my high school sweetheart, Cordelia… Couldn’t let that happen…” the man silenced for a moment. “It was always Cordelia and Lindsey, but he changed everything. That’s why I’m in this dump.”

“He’s in Sunnydale with my girl. He is with her... He's with Buffy… I want to get rid of him,” Riley raged out as he stood up from where he was sitting. He faced Lindsey as an idea came into mind. “Will you help me with this, Lindsey?”

Lindsey Callahan grinned at the outraged man before him. “Anything for a good friend… How are we going to do that?” Riley thought for a moment.

“I’m going to find us a way to get us out of here.”

~*~*~*~

A/N: I have finally finished my term paper! (Phew!!!!!!) What do you think? Cliffhanger!! Hope you like! I needed to bring Riley and Lindsey in the story or then there wouldn’t be a purpose at all. Review please!! The song is She will be Loved by Maroon 5.

-Jess