Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters are owned by Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. Never mine.

A/N: This is a comedy/ very light drama road picture, an homage to Bob Hope, Bing Crosby and Dorothy Lamour, idols from my childhood. The locations, other than state names are completely of my own invention or changed to suit the story. As always, thanks to my lovely beta EnigmaticBlues.
Chapter 3- Outstanding in their Field

He played a sax
had no b.o.
but his whiskers scratched
so she let him go
Burma Shave


Tara read the instructions. “According to the pendant, you’ve got about twenty minutes until the key manifests.”

Spike parked the van on the soft shoulder of the quiet two lane road and killed the headlights.

“The pendant says it should be right over there somewhere.” Willow tried to peer through the darkness.

Spike turned on the parking lights. They cast a faint glow over the surrounding area showing a large empty field. He shrugged. “Can’t do more, we’ll drain the cheap battery.”

“Well, that’s just great. Why aren’t these things ever easy?” Buffy clicked on her flashlight. “Spike?”

“I’m here Slayer.”

“Willow, you guys stay by the van and watch for anyone else. Call out if you see anything suspicious. Xander/”

“Yeah, Buff?”

“You better pull out your baseball bat just in case.”

“No problemo. We’ll keep an eye out for those dangerous creatures of the night.” Xander cupped his mouth and howled.

Anya and Dawn, leaning against the back of the van, giggled at the really bad werewolf imitation. Xander grinned and headed for the cargo area.

Buffy turned back to Spike. “Okay, let’s go.”

The blond couple walked a few feet to the wire fence, lightly jumped over and trudged into a sodden field.

“It must have rained here recently, this ground is soaked. Welcome to the horror that is my life.” Buffy sighed.

“Shit.”

“Exactly. My life is shit.”

“No, Slayer, I mean there’s shit all around us, cow shit to be exact. I can smell it. This must be a cow pasture.”

“What? No!” Buffy frantically ran the flashlight along the ground by her feet. “Ewww. These boots are brand new; I’d never get it off the ridged soles.”

“Then I suggest you watch where you’re steppin’. I don’t fancy smellin’ long horn for the next thousand miles.”

They picked their way carefully across the field looking for the key.

“It can’t be too much longer. Giles said it would be really easy to find. I wonder where the darn thing is anyway?”

A few feet ahead, a bright green light flashed and winked out again.

“You don’t suppose that would work everytime?”

Buffy skirted a large pile of cow dung and gingerly picked up a damp bronze globe. Smaller than a baseball, she rolled the globe around on her palm. “I hope the others are this easy.” She didn’t notice the small drop of green liquid that slipped from the globe and was immediately absorbed into her palm.

“Careful Slayer.” Spike looked suspiciously at the object. “I don’t think you’re supposed to handle it like that.”

“It’s okay. Giles said they’re completely harmless by themselves. He said they were in-something.”

“Inert?”

“Yeah, inert.” She dropped it in her pocket. “All the little balls have to be hooked together to open the portal. Come on, the faster we get back to the van, the quicker we can find a motel. I’m beat.”

“How can you still be tired? You slept most of the way across Texas.”

“I had to do a final patrol last night. God forbid the Slayer get a break before the big trip. I patrolled late because I had to listen to Giles’ entire lecture about these ball thingies and gateway portals and demon clans.” She snorted. “Like I don’t see enough demons without getting a lecture on them, too. Then when I finally got home, I still had to pack.”

“Stop your whinging. I had stuff to do before we left and I still managed to catch some sleep.”

“Not only did I not see you on patrol, but how long can it take to throw one shirt and a pair of jeans into a duffle?”

“Now wait a minute Missy, I brought kit with me.”

“I guess several packs of cigarettes and a cooler full of blood could count as ‘kit’.”

“At least I’m not draggin’ an entire Hello Kitty suitcase full of junk around the country. How many pairs of shoes alone are bouncin’ around in there, ‘ey Slayer?”

“You have no idea what slaying does to a wardrobe. And what about you? What happens if your one shirt gets demon guts all over it? You’ll stink up the van worse than any cow.”

“I’ve got more than one shirt with me, you daft bint.”

Buffy opened her mouth to respond when Xander yelled. They ran the rest of the way across the field and vaulted the fence in tandem.

Xander, back to the van, was swinging his baseball bat in a wide arc, attempting to fend off half a dozen brown four foot tall demons. Displaying full sets of sharp teeth and sharp curved nails, they were trying to breach the van’s doors.

Willow and Tara stood on the van’s hood, chanting an incantation and kicking at the furry demons each time one attempted to gain purchase on the bumper.

Anya and Dawn huddled inside the van.

Xander struck one of the demons in the head. It fell soundlessly to the ground. Spike, now in game face, roared and grabbed one of the demons. He bit down hard. Buffy high kicked another demon reaching for her. She snapped its’ neck and it sunk to the ground next to the tire.

Tara and Willow finally managed their protection spell. The demons, unable to get near the van any longer jabbered something to each other and ran, disappearing into the darkness.

Xander dropped his bat and wiped his face with his tee shirt. “The ewoks showed up a couple minutes ago. Anya was sitting in the van, so she opened the door and Tara pushed Dawn inside.”

Spike’s features changed to his human visage. “Slayer, do you want to hunt them down?”

Buffy shook her head. “No, they left and I think we should too.” Frowning, she added, “It looks like the Council was right about the demon clans.”

Spike grinned. “This trip just got a whole lot more interestin’.”