Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters are owned by Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. Never mine.

A/N: This is a comedy/ very light drama road picture, an homage to Bob Hope, Bing Crosby and Dorothy Lamour, idols from my childhood. The locations, other than state names are completely of my own invention or changed to suit the story. As always, thanks to my lovely beta EnigmaticBlues.
Chapter 5- Cloud of Confusion

The wolf is shaved
so neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
is chasing him.
Burma-Shave


Negligently waving his hand, the ruby signet ring flashed in the lamplight. “Your report.”

The scout bowed and moved fully into the throne room. “The manifestation occurred on schedule and the Slayer and her compatriots have acquired the first portal key. As per your instructions, we did nothing but observe.”

“Continue.”

“It was as you expected, Excellency, the Candlerisse proved a suitable distraction. We were not detected.”

“Where is the first Key now?”

“As you also anticipated, the Slayer has retained it.”

“It is protected?”

“Yes, Sire. It was placed within a suitable receptacle.”

“Who handled it?”

“Only the Slayer.”

“It is possible that she may be affected even now: continue to follow the instructions already given.”

“As you request, so shall it be done.”

The signet ring waved again. “Leave me.”

The scout bowed.

****

Pelting rain had already swamped a portion of the parking lot pavement when Buffy quietly closed her door. At ten o’clock her little sister was still asleep, but the Slayer felt wide awake and refreshed. Surprisingly the lumpy mattress had proven no distraction and she’d slept deeply the entire night. Reenergized she’d dressed quickly and headed for the adjacent room.

Raising her hand to knock on Spike’s door, Buffy could hear the television playing. Spike must already be up. She rapped firmly.

“Slayer.” Spike, his voice coarsened from sleep, opened the door and stepped back. “Come on in.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t realize you were still asleep.” Buffy took in the vampire’s rumpled clothes and bed hair. “I heard the television and thought you were already up.”

Spike and bed hair. Oh my God, I so need to stop gawking now. Flustered, Buffy moved through the door. What is with me lately? I keep thinking weird thoughts about Spike.

Pushing the door closed, Spike didn’t notice her sudden embarrassment and continued the conversation. “I fell asleep with the telly on.”

He ran a hand through his hair, causing it to stick up even more wildly and looked down at his wrinkled clothes. “I need a shower and a change of clothes.” Motioning at the other bed, he offered. “You can sit here and wait if you want or I’ll come over and get you in a few minutes.”

Buffy swallowed the lump that formed when Spike ran his hand through his hair. Her eyes roamed everywhere but on the vampire in front of her and finally lit on the TV. “Dawn’s still asleep. I’ll stay here and wait.” And use the time to regain my sanity.

She plopped down on the extra bed and grabbed the remote like a lifeline. Staring down at the controls, she asked, “Is it okay if I turn done the volume a little?” How could he sleep with it so loud?

A vision of Spike and his sexy bed hair lying on the other bed ran through her mind. Does he always sleep in his clothes? Okay, stop right there.

”Yeah, you can turn it down, it’s pretty loud.” Spike headed into the bathroom and closed the door firmly.

Flipping on the hot water, he adjusted the nozzle and stepped under the spray. I’m such a git. He smacked his head hard with his hand. Grabbing the soap, he scrubbed furiously. I’ve got to find a way for her to notice me.

He squeezed the shampoo bottle so tightly the bottle cracked in two. Ruefully, he watched his shampoo run down the drain. Before I drive myself completely around the bend.

Buffy flipped through the channels, finally settling on one of the morning talk shows. Leaning back against the headboard she heard the water in the shower start. Deliberately trying to divert her attention away from the bathroom, she watched a well known movie actor walk onstage amid hearty cheering and clapping from the audience. Losing interest almost immediately, she fidgeted with the quilt while thoughts raced around in her head.

Why am I acting so nuts lately? It’s gotta be this mission and being stuck in the van for hours at a time. That would drive anyone crazy. As far as the Spike ogling goes, it’s normal to check out a hot guy, especially while we’re working together. This will all stop when the mission’s over and we get back to Sunnydale. I’ll go back to my regular routine and Spike will go back to whatever he actually does when he’s not bugging me. Everything will be normal again. I like normal. Normal is of the good.

Feeling like she’d arrived at an answer for her recent behavior, Buffy lifted the remote to change the channel and froze. Spike, naked to the waist, opened the door of the bathroom and walked out amid a cloud of steam. His hair, wet from the shower, dripped on the small white hotel towel draped around his shoulders. Guh.

He dropped the towel on his bed, leaned over and started digging in his duffle. Pulling out a comb, he walked closer to the television. No need for a mirror, Spike combed his hair and watched the show.

Buffy, mesmerized, watched out of the corner of her eye as a water droplet slid slowly down the smooth alabaster chest and over the taut six pack to tantalizingly disappear under the waist band of Spike’s jeans. Dazed, she suddenly realized she still held the remote.

Spike watched the actor on the screen and snorted. “That git still pushin’ that same lame movie? Clem and I saw it. It was terrible, actually put Clem off his feed. Too much violence, no plot at all.”

“Huh?”

Spike, comb still in hand, finally noticed the Slayer’s odd expression. “Slayer? Are you alright?”

Snapping the remote down on the dresser, she replied tersely. “I’m perfectly fine. Are you about ready to discuss tactics yet?”

Confusion crossed his face. “Sure, just let me grab my shirt.”What did I do to piss her off now?

Spike tried to figure out what had set the Slayer off, but other than having to wait a few minutes for him, he couldn’t see why she was suddenly being such a bitch.

Buffy cut off several suggestions about security that he offered, finally just snapping. “We’ll just have to see what happens next and go from there.”

With that pronouncement from on high, she flounced off to wake Dawn and collect the others.

When his door slammed, Spike grimaced and started stuffing things in his duffle. Maybe it’s PMS or somethin’. She’s certainly cranky enough.

****

It was after one when the van pulled out of the parking lot, carefully skirting the huge water filled pot holes.

Everyone had shifted to different seats. Willow and Tara were sitting in the back and Spike asked if he could join them. He explained that he hadn’t slept well and wanted some more rest.

The vampire, newspaper over his face, leaned against the van’s special vampire- safe glass window.

Anya added expenses in the middle seat while Buffy sat next to her and read a magazine.

Dawn joined Xander in front and stared out the window. ”Careful Xander, that one was almost even with the bottom of the door.”

”They really need to fill those in, but I guess they don’t have the money. Concrete is expensive.”

“Last night I got stuck in our bathroom. Buffy had to force open the door for me.”

“Probably bad hinges or swollen wood.” Xander steered around another huge hole.

“At least the mud covers the demon scratches”. Willow offered.

Dawn continued. “All I could think about while I was stuck in the bathroom was being stabbed like that lady in Psycho.

Suddenly the only noticeable sound was the scritch of the wipers across the windshield.

Buffy dropped the magazine in her lap. “You’ve seen that movie?”

”Duh. We watched it in film appreciation last semester. It’s a classic.”

Muttering something uncomplimentary about the California educational system, the Slayer returned to her magazine.

Under the newspaper, Spike chuckled.

Xander pointed the van toward Louisiana.