Author's Chapter Notes:
This is a comedy/ very light drama road picture with a twist.

Thanks to my beta EnigmaticBlues for the grammatical touch ups.
Chapter 6- Antiquities, Pyrotechnics, and Demons, oh my

Riot at the drugstore
Calling all cars
100 customers
99 jars
Burma- Shave


Buffy shaded her eyes, craned her neck and tried to see to the top of the tree. “That’s the largest poplar tree I’ve ever seen.”

“It’s actually an oak tree.” Willow brandished the AAA tour book, one of several reference books she’d brought along on the trip. “It’s the largest oak tree in the entire United States and its over four hundred years old. Isn’t that amazing?”

”What’s really amazin’ is that no one’s cut it down yet to build a shopping mall.”

Confusion filled the Slayer face as she continued to stare at the tree. “Okay, so why are we standing here at the really old tree?”

Willow shrugged. “Well….”

“Oh no, don’t tell me the key’s up there.”

At the look on the Slayer’s face, Spike leaned against the van and laughed. Buffy scanned the rest of the group. Everyone was studiously looking somewhere else, except Dawn. Standing next to Spike, the teen grinned at her sister.

“Fine,” Buffy snapped and ran her hand along the rough bark. “This is so gonna ruin my clothes.” Glaring at the still laughing vampire, she added. “For that encouragement, you can climb up with me.”

Spike wiped his eyes. “I’m not bleedin’ Tarzan. I didn’t sign on to climb trees.”

“No, you signed on to find the keys. The key’s up there, so you’re up there.”

Xander snickered and cupped his hands around his mouth. Spike interrupted him. “Don’t you do the yell, Harris, or I’ll make sure you walk like the bleedin’ monkey for the duration.”

****

“Uh oh” Buffy’s left foot was suddenly dangling in mid air. Cupping her hands, she tried to warn the group below. “Guys, watch out!” She turned back to Spike. “Can you see where the branch landed?”

“Can’t see anything through this canopy.”

“Xander, are you guys alright?”

Xander’s voice floated up. “We’re fine. It didn’t land on anyone.”

Willow’s voice could be heard faintly. “Tell her.”

“Uh, Buffy?”

“What is it Xan?”

“The branch landed on the van’s roof. There’s a big dent.”

“Oh.” She looked over at Spike and shrugged. “At least no one got hurt.”

“We can always throw some mud up there, Slayer. It worked for the claw marks.”

“Spike, I see the key. It’s just above your left shoulder.”

“Got it, pet.”

“Wait a minute, what’s that buzzing noise?”

Distracted by the Slayer’s question, he didn’t pay attention to the green droplets in his palm. Scanning the horizon, he grimaced. “More to the point, Slayer, what’s that brown cloud headed this way? Spike cocked his head. “Whatever it is, it’s alive and moving fast. We need to get out of here.”

Down below, Willow scanned the sky. “There’s something moving this way. Xander, get the van started.”

Anya screamed. “It’s Dogennes. Hurry!”

Buffy and Spike dropped the last fifteen feet and leaped into the van. “Let’s go! Now!”

Xander stomped on the pedal and the van careened out of the dark forest and into the stream of traffic headed for the interstate.

Dawn gripped the hand rest and asked, “Anya, what are Dogennes?”

“Have you ever seen the Wizard of Oz ?”

“Sure.”

“They look just like the flying monkeys, except bigger, smarter and much meaner.”

Buffy craned her neck. “Can anyone see if we’re being followed?”

Tara shook her head. “They flew toward the tree while you guys were getting in the van. I think they were looking for the key, too.”

****

“Come forward.”

“Sire, the Slayer has acquired the second portal key.”

“Were there any unforeseen difficulties?”

“A troop of Dogennes arrived; however they were unaware the key had already been removed.”

“Who handled the key?”

“The vampire.”

“When and where will the next key materialize?”

“In two days time in the state the humans call Georgia.”

“Continue to follow your instructions.”

****

“This place is really neat. I’d love to buy some of everything.” Willow happily wandered around lightly touching the delicate figurines.

Tara held up a crock shaped like a cow. “My grandmother had one of these.”

Smiling happily at her girlfriend,Willow replied. “It’s really cute.”

Dawn walked up, carefully carrying three miniature bells. “Look Buffy.”

“They’re very pretty.” Buffy was definitely in a better mood than she’d been earlier in the day. When the witches announced they had almost two entire days to reach the next manifestation, the Scoobies all agreed to take their time and enjoy some of the sights along the way.

Having missed breakfast, the restaurant had drawn them in. Sated from a huge lunch, they were wandering around in the antique shop next door.

Willow held up a plate with Dorothy and Toto painted on it. “Wow, this is from the original premier of the movie.” She studied another plate with a smiling Tin man. “I can see why this store is named The Yellow Brick Road.”

Anya walked up holding a tea tray. “Isn’t this pretty?” The women all gathered around to admire the lacquered tray.

Spike grimaced. “I’m goin’ out for a cigarette.”

Xander caught up to him. “I’ll go with you.”

Leaning against the side of the building in the shade, Spike lit his cigarette. “What’s the matter Harris? Antiquing not to your liking?”

”I hate shopping.” He joined Spike against the wall. “As much as I hate to say this, you know we need to stick together.”

Spike blew a smoke ring. “Why would that be?”

“Because we’re outnumbered here. If we’re not careful, we’ll spend the next two weeks shopping any time there’s a break in the action.”

“You’ve got a point. Don’t know what it is about stores that bring out the worst in birds. Dru could never pass up a shop. Usually I went along with it, could always eat the proprietor while she looked ‘round. But now….”

Xander brightened. “On the other hand there are some kinds of stores that aren’t so boring.” He pointed across the parking lot.

Spike turned to look. “I’ll grab my blanket.”

After a mad dash across the parking lot, Xander held the door for Spike. Tucking his blanket under his arm, he nodded to the man at the cash register. “Afternoon.”

The elderly man behind the counter nodded back. “You boys see anything you need help with, just give a holler.”

“Thanks. We will. “ Xander was already heading toward the back shelves. “Wow.” He touched the large roman candles reverently. “We used to light some of these at my Uncle Rory’s every Fourth of July.”

Spike read the label on a brightly colored box. “Says this shoots twenty colored balls into the air all at once.”

“Yeah, I’ve lit those before, too.” He leaned toward the vampire. “But the best aren’t even here. They’re illegal to sell these days.” He lowered his voice. “M80’s. I remember once in middle school, two guys actually blew up a toilet in the boy’s bathroom with a couple of them. My cousin used to drive around and set them off inside mailboxes.”

Spike snickered. “Sounds like fun.”

The vampire continued to look around the store while the clerk finished ringing up Xander’s purchases.

“You bought quite a lot, son. Planning on a large show are you?”

Xander hefted the two large bags. “Yeah. I love fireworks.” He turned to Spike. “Give me a minute and I’ll pull the van over here in the shade.”

“Ta.” Spike leaned against the counter. “So, Gramps, how long have you worked here?”

“I’ve owned the store for almost twenty-five years.”

Xander had just finished stowing the fireworks safely in the back luggage compartment under the spare tire when Spike came out carrying a small bag.

“You bought something after all?”

Spike smirked and opened the bag. Inside were over two dozen M80’s. “He had them in the back room.” He handed the bag to Xander. “Stow these with your stuff and you can have a couple.”

“Deal. Spike?”

“Yeah, Harris?”

“Don’t tell Anya about this stuff okay?”

“Not a problem. This junket just cost me a large bit of dosh. I don’t fancy the Slayer gettin’ a whiff, going all high and mighty and pitchin’ them out.”

The girls came out of the antique shop carrying several small packages and chattering happily. Buffy walked up to the back of the van. “Open up the storage area, we need to put this stuff in.”

Xander stuttered a moment and dug for the keys. Spike gave him a look and turned to Buffy. “Here, let me help, Slayer.”

Buffy looked suspiciously at him. “What’s going on?”

Anya piled her bags in Xander’s arms. “Oh Buffy, he’s just trying to be nice.”

“Oh. Well, uh, thanks Spike.”

“You’re welcome, Slayer.”