Author's Chapter Notes:
These characters are not mine. They are owned solely by Joss Whedon and ME. Only the plot is mine.
Chapter 8-Even Ripley Wouldn’t Believe It

A peach looks good
with lots of fuzz
but man’s no peach
and never was.
Burma-Shave



“What are those?” She eyed the stack of pink striped boxes.

“They’re Claxton Fruit Cakes.”

Dawn was perplexed. “I don’t get it. I thought most people don’t really like fruit cake. I mean everyone makes jokes about them. But here they sell them in every gas station, restaurant and gift shop.”

Spike shook his head. “I dunno, Bit.” He looked around the large gas station gift shop. “Couldn’t you find any bells?”

The teen nodded. “I found three, but one of them is way too expensive. It cost more than all the others I’ve bought so far put together.”

”Must not make enough dosh on the fruitcakes.”

The teen nodded. “That’s what I think, too.”

“How many do you have now?” The vision of enough little tinkling bells to outfit every cat in the state crossed his mind.

“With the two I just bought now, I’ve got twenty-three.” Dawn looked around. “Where’s everyone else?”

“You’re sister and Anyanka went to pay the repair bill on the van, while Harris and the witches went portal key shoppin.’”

“I can’t believe Xander refused to eat breakfast or lunch. Do you think he’s sick?”

“Nah, probably finally looked in a mirror.” Spike replied and carefully set the box of fruitcake back on the stack. “Here comes your sis now.” The bitch.

Ignoring Spike completely, Buffy spoke to Dawn. “Dawnie, look what Anya bought for you.”

Dawn’s mouth dropped open. “Oh my God, it’s that bell.”

Spike looked at Anya holding out the bell to Dawn and raised an eyebrow. “You bought something that cost more than it should?”

Anya smiled. “Well, I thought it was about time we stopped pinching pennies. After all, the Council can afford it.” She smiled wider. “I didn’t haggle with the cashier at all. I never realized before how much fun it is to pay far too much for an item. From now on, I’m always going to pay retail.”

Dawn looked dazed. “Thank you, Anya.”

“You’re welcome.” She gravitated toward the shelves next to them. “I wonder what else they have for purchase? Maybe I can find something that was on sale up until today. Ooh, fruitcake!”

“Come on Bit, I’ll help you put your expensive trinket away.”

“Just a minute Spike.” You stupid vampire. Buffy moved closer to him.

“What do you want?” You dozy bint.

“I’m going to need you for the next key. I spoke to Giles and he said there are already signs of demonic activity in that area.” She lifted her chin. “You need to stop being such a pain in the ass, I might have to use you.”

Dawn gasped. “But Buffy, he wasn’t doing anything. We were just standing here talking.” What is going on between them? They can’t even be near each other without arguing anymore.

“S’okay, Bit.” Spike eyes flashed yellow. “Slayer is just being her usual charmin’ self.”

Placing her hands on her hips, Buffy stared at Spike. “You don’t really deserve charming, do you Spike?”

Dawn tugged on her sister’s sleeve. “Now wait a minute, Buffy. That was completely uncalled for. You are so not being nice.”

“I don’t do nice with him.” The Slayer tossed her blonde hair and stalked off.

“Wow, what’s her damage?”

Spike narrowed his eyes. “Don’t know, don’t give a damn.”

Dawn watched him stalk off in the other direction and sighed. Holding up the bell, she saw a noticeable flaw in the paint. Figures.

*****

“It was just so awesome.” Willow happily began reiterating the story for the third time.

Spike ignored the nattering and concentrated on the van’s engine. He looked over at Xander sitting in the passenger seat. “I don’t think that blighter really repaired the engine.”

“Are you sure?” Xander asked, while forcing himself to tear open the cellophane bag in his lap. Cringing at the sound, he was already feeling nauseous at the thought of eating the entire contents, but Anya had insisted.

Spike ignored the noise from the bag. “Which of us has the best hearing? The engine sounds off again and it started after that last rest stop. ”

Xander conceded defeat in the hearing contest. “If the mechanic didn’t put in a new part, we’re not going to be moving for much longer.” He looked in the bag. There’s enough food in here for a week. He shuddered.

“I’ll watch the gauge and we’ll know soon enough.”

Grimacing, Xander finally forced himself to reach in and pull out one of the rice cakes. Nibbling on it, he turned his attention back to Willow.

“I’d just finished picking up the portal key and then the demon showed up.” Willow looked at her girlfriend and smiled. “We sent a huge rock down on its head from the hillside and it collapsed right there.”

Tara reminded her. “Honey, don’t forget, you wanted to look up what kind of stone we used in the spell.”

“I guess it really isn’t important. Besides, I threw all the books out at the last rest area.”

Tara looked quizzically at her girlfriend. “All of your books? Why?”

“I got tired of reading all those unnecessary facts.” She balled her fist and feigned a punch. “From now on, instead of Research Willow, I’m going to be All Action Willow.”

Ignoring the shocked look on her girlfriend’s face, Willow settled back against the seat. I wonder where I can get a leather cat suit and a really good knife? Maybe Buffy brought an extra one I can borrow. Making a mental note to ask the Slayer for some tips on the proper way to decapitate someone, she closed her eyes. All Action Willow needed a nap so she would be prepared for anything the demons threw at her.

Anya piped up from the back seat. “Why don’t we all stop for ice cream sundaes or T-bone steaks? My treat.”

*****

“Sire, the Slayer and her companions have now acquired five of the seven portal keys, but their behavior has become unstable.”

“Please elaborate.”

“Several of the humans have touched the portal keys immediately after their manifestation.”

“That is most unexpected.” The signet ring motioned the guard closer. “Recall the captain. It may be necessary to alter the plan.”

The guard bowed.