Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters are owned by Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. Never mine.

A/N: This is a comedy/ very light drama road picture with a twist. Thanks to my lovely beta EnigmaticBlues.
Chapter 2- Diners- Slayer Style

Proper space to him was bunk
they found him inside
some guy’s trunk
Burma-Shave


The Yellow Rose Truck Stop was filled to capacity with their regular mix of late night customers when the Scooby’s filed in the door, blinking in the bright fluorescent light.

A hat act on the jukebox wailed loudly about losing his girlfriend. Waitresses wearing pink uniforms and white aprons, pencils sticking out of big hair, bustled across the terrazzo floor, arms laden with plates of steak and eggs or meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Aromatic smells wafted through the air.

Long haul truckers sat around scarred Formica tables eating dinner and drinking strongly brewed black coffee. Clear glass domes set atop a long counter offered tantalizing views of homemade pies and cakes.

The group, mouths watering, piled into the big corner booth and eagerly picked up menus.

“Oh man, they’ve got homemade blueberry pie and homemade cherry pie. Those are my two favorites. I can’t decide.”

“Well, Harris, why don’t you get both?” Spike gave an encouraging smile.

“I think two pieces would be construed as an excess expenditure.”

Spike cut his eyes over to Anya. Bloody cheap bint.

“Me oh my, I like pie.” Xander leaned on Anya and sang.

“That’s from the movie Michael.” Anya giggled. “We watched it the other night after copious amounts of sex.”

Willow blanched. “Anya, TMI.”

Tara patted her hand.

“Go ahead and get what you want, Xander. I’ll add the extra cost to the next food bill.” Anya smiled affectionately at her boyfriend.

“Hey Harris. They’ve got lemon pie, too.”

“Buffy, I’m not really hungry. Can I go check out the gift shop?”

“Just don’t go anywhere else.”

“Okay.” The teen vanished before her sister could change her mind.

Buffy looked down at the menu and than at the waitress that had materialized beside the booth. “I’d like a hamburger and a diet coke.”

The waitress nodded. “And what about you, Sugar?” She openly admired the blond hunk in the hot coat.

Spike smirked. “How’s the coffee tonight-he read the name tag prominently displayed on her ample chest- Raylene?”

“It’s always hot and fresh.”

Spike ran his tongue across his teeth. “Hot is good. The hotter, the better.”

She dimpled. “Do you want it?”

“I always want it, luv.”

“Then I’ll be right back.”

Anya leaned across the table. “Spike, when you continue your verbal fornication with the waitress, would you ask for some more napkins?”

Buffy’s Slayer sense tingled. She looked up. “Spike?”

“Yeah, Slayer?”

“Do those men at the bar all have heartbeats?”

Wrinkling his nose in distaste, he answered. “Yeah and they could all use a bath, too. What’s the matter?”

She twisted in her seat and surveyed the room. “Can you hear Dawn in the gift shop?”

He concentrated briefly. “No.”

“Willow, Xander, you guys stay here. I’m going to check on Dawn.”

Spike pushed away from the table. “I’ll go with you.”

The gift shop was empty. The cashier looked up from the full page picture of Jason Doring in her magazine and asked. “Can I help you?”

“I’m looking for my sister. She’s fifteen, brown hair and taller than me.”

An advertisement for complete control hair spray diverted her attention. “Uh, she left through the side door. Said she was going to put her purchases away.”

Spike’s eyes narrowed. “Was anyone with her?”

“Nan, the only other people in here were a couple of old dudes, but they left right after she did.” Flipping the page back to Jason, the cashier looked up and blinked. Where’d they go?

The side parking lot was dark; the lighting reserved for the main entrance and the gas pumps.

Buffy scanned the lot. “Dawnie?”

“Around there, Slayer.”

They hurried around the corner of the building. Dawn was squirming and kicking at a middle aged vampire dressed in dirty western attire. He held her tightly by the arms. A second, in ripped jeans and worn cowboy boots tried to help hold the struggling teen.

Buffy quickly broke a branch from the tree next to the parking lot. She grabbed Western Attire, forced him away and dusted him. Spike jumped in front of Dawn and growled at Boots. “Leave her alone, she’s not your dinner.”

Boots looked disgruntled but unafraid. “Why, you didn’t have to go and dust Chester. There’s enough here for all of us to have a little snack.” He eyed Buffy warily. “Now little lady, you just calm down.”

Buffy lifted her makeshift stake. “You remind me of a couple of vamps I met in high school. You’re not related to anyone named Gorch are you?”

“No, never heard of them.” Boots looked confused.

Driving the stake in, she continued. “They were real jerks. And I’m not your little lady.”

She wheeled back around to Dawn. “I can’t leave you alone for five minutes before you let yourself become vamp bait! I told you not to go anywhere.”

Dawn drew herself up to her full height, looked down and met her sister’s angry eyes. “It wasn’t my fault. They followed me outside. All I wanted to do was put my souvenir in the van.”

“Slayer, calm down. She’s fine and I’m sure she’ll be more careful next time.” Spike tried to placate the furious woman. Turning to the sullen teen, he continued. “Bit? The next time you’ll let either Big Sis or me go with you into the dark parking lots, eh?”

“Yeah, okay.”

“Slayer? What say we go back in the diner? You need to eat your meal. No sense in hearin’ Herself spoutin’ off about wasted dosh for the next fifty miles.”

Spike gently propelled Dawn toward the diner’s front entrance. “Come on Bit, I’ll share my onion rings with you.”

Buffy shrugged and fell into step. “I am still hungry.” She offered the olive branch to her little sister. “So what’d you buy?”

Dawn held up her brown paper bag and shook it gently. Buffy could hear a light tinkling sound. “It’s a porcelain bell with the state of Texas painted on the side. I’ve decided to start a collection. I’m going to get one everywhere we stop.”

Buffy started to say something and changed her mind. They’re fragile and Dawn’s going to need to keep them in a safe place, like that cargo area behind the third seat.

“Dawnie, that’s such a great idea. Why don’t I help you look for them? I bet together we can find lots of really cute ones.”