Author's Chapter Notes:
A HUGE thanks to Edgehead for the awesome banner *hugs*
Chapter 12.

The months seem to be flying by. Other then the increasing but petty attacks over the last two months Buffy’s life had been consumed by her pregnancy. Dawn had squealed with delight when she had her hand on Buffy’s stomach and felt the baby kick for the first time. William had also felt the baby’s movements and he was always trying to put his hands on her so he could feel it again and again. Buffy didn’t mind of course. She could see in his eyes every time he felt the baby move inside her he was beaming with pride and love. Willow and Tara had taken her shopping the other week to by new clothes as the ones she had brought with her to Sunnydale she was struggling to get into. Well more like unable to get into them at all would be more accurate. Buffy had been bewildered at the fact they had clothes especially for pregnant women. Her baby bump was much more noticeable now and William had noted just that morning that she was now 7 months pregnant. Today she was restless and after attempting to find something half interesting on the TV for almost an hour she gave up. Standing from the lounge Buffy sighed placing the remote on the coffee table. She headed to the kitchen knowing William was in there. She pulled out a vacant stool from the breakfast bar and propping her elbows on the bench, she cradled her head in her hands. William, who was leaning against the bench, looked at her amused over his coffee cup as she pouted at no one in particular.

"What's wrong luv?"

"Hmph. I'm bored, there’s nothing on TV." She whined. William nodded his head.

"Yeah I had noticed. Was out there flicking though channels about an hour ago now myself." He smiled at her. William glanced down at the paper in front of him.

"How about we go see a flick?" He suggested lightly. Buffy smiled softly and sliding off the stool she walked around the bench to position herself in front of him.

"Are you asking me out on a date?" She asked tauntingly. Her eyes twinkled at him as she smiled looking up at him. She pressed herself firmly against him the best she could and William couldn’t help but smile back down into those green eyes that shone with mischief.

"Are you saying yes?"

"Maybe." Her voice was still taunting, like she was playing with him. He frowned and slipped away from her. Buffy looked at him, confusion clearly written on her face.

"Don't play games with me Buffy." William snapped at her slightly. He turned to walk out of the kitchen but was stopped dead in his tracks by what she said next.

"I'm not, the movie sounds great." He turned looking at her. His mouth formed a small ‘o’ of surprise as blue eyes filled with the shock of her words.

"I'll just go grab my purse." Buffy brushed past him as if she didn’t notice his expression. William stood still looking at the place Buffy had just stood, hearing her bounce up the stairs. Had she really just agreed to go out with him? On a date none the less? It was fair to say since she had come to stay they had become rather close to one another and on occasion she had asked him to share her bed with him as a sort of comfort to her. He had noticed that every so often she would casually flirt with him but William thought it would be wise not to push it. Shaking his head he placed his coffee mug on the bench, trying to gather his thoughts when he heard the unmistakable sound of footsteps coming down the stairs. Turning, William let out a low whistle when Buffy stepped into view. She looked stunning. She had changed into a black knee length dress that she had brought recently when she had gone shopping with Willow and Tara. It showed off her baby bump proudly which made William smile inwardly. She had let her hair down just the way he liked it, it was now falling softly around her face. She had also applied some makeup, just enough to entice her features. Her feet clicked over the tiles and quickly glancing downward, William noticed that she had put on her ½ inch heels, giving her the extra height she wanted.

"Are you ready?" Buffy smiled coyly. William nodded numbly following her out the door, grasping his jacket on the way out and unable to take his eyes off her as they headed out together on their first real, official date.

A few hours later Buffy and William returned to the Summer’s resident, relaxed and happy. After seeing a sappy romantic slash action flick that Buffy had chosen they had stopped at the Espresso Pump for some dinner. Their conversation was rich and hearty between them. Buffy realized that she couldn’t be happier with how her night had gone with William. Laughing at an attempt of one of William’s jokes, the pair stepped inside the house still laughing. However, their laughter was cut short with the sight that was before them. There in the lounge room was Dawn, tied down on one of the dining room chairs with a makeshift gag in her mouth. Upon sighting Buffy and William, she started to struggle against the bonds and tried to speak with no avail. A glint of cold metal caught Buffy’s eye and she could see a man standing behind her, holding the knife in place. He pressed it lightly to Dawn’s neck and she stopped moving. The man’s eyes flicked blood red, a sure sign that he wasn’t all he appeared to be.

"Spike." Buffy whispered her voice wavering with fear. William stood transfixed, his body tense at the sight of his sister bound so helpless to a chair.

"It's really appalling you know that." The man hissed. His voice was throaty and deep, almost mesmerizing. The pair stood still, making the effort not to push the man too far. The knife was still frightfully close to Dawn’s neck. Their silence provoked the man to speak again as if they had asked the question he had wanted.

"A vampire in love with a slayer." His eyes fixed upon Buffy as they flickered red again.

"I'm not a vampire." Buffy spat out without a seconds hesitation.

"No. Not anymore anyway. But you where once, you where infamous... Now look at you. Pregnant with a slayers child... it’s disgusting." His words stung Buffy like a slap in the face. She fought the tears that threatened to fall.

"Bite your tongue." William hissed at him taking a step forward as he did so.

"Uh uh ah." The man warned pushing the knife against Dawns neck. She whimpered in fear as the cold blade pressed against her once again.

"Come any closer and your sister will be as good as dead slayer." He threatened. He turned his attention back to Buffy.

"A master vampire died to save the world... how revolting. You where a pathetic excuse for a demon Buffy. Now you have this child.... you know it can't be born. We can't let it." he told her. His voice dripped with anger now.

"I won't let you or anyone else hurt my baby." She retorted her tears now replaced with anger and fortification.

"You don’t have a choice. The child can not live... it’s destined to destroy us all." The man snapped at her, his voice rising causing Buffy to slightly jump. He dropped his tone back down as he continued to speak. This time he addressed William.

"Now this is going to be very simple slayer. Give me her and the baby and your precious sister lives."

"Don't do this please. She has nothing to do with this." Buffy pleaded with him, she could see a shadow moving softly behind the man.

"This is not my doing. You and that disgusting abomination are. The child must be destroyed!"

"I can't let you take her... I'm sorry Dawnie." Buffy whispered dropping her head but not missing the tears fall from Dawns eyes as she nodded understandingly.

"DISCADA!" Willow’s voice suddenly filled the room and the man quickly burned into nothing more then a pile of ash. Willow collapsed to the ground due to the shear power of the spell as William ran to her aid. Buffy quickly ran to Dawn to untie her. Gently removing her gag she made quick haste of undoing the knots the man had bound her in.

"You know I would never have let him hurt you don’t you?" Buffy asked, helping Dawn up from the chair.

"I know." She replied hugging her tightly. Buffy pulled back to look into her eyes.

"I heard Willow come in the back door. I was trying to buy some time is all."

"I know." Dawn answered hugging her again. They turned at Willows grunt and to see William helping her up from the floor.

"Your nose is bleeding." William told her, pointing to the red liquid under her nose. Willow quickly wiped the blood with the sleeve of her shirt.

"One of the kinks of doing a spell that big." she laughed softly.

"That and the splitting headache." She groaned and William helped her to the couch taking a seat next to her.

"That was a pretty powerful spell Will."

"Yeah and won't do that one again in a hurry." She groaned again rubbing her head.

"Thank you." Buffy said also taking a seat next to her. Willow smiled softly at the former vampire. She had grown quite close to her since her return.

"Not that I’m not glad your here cause trust me I really am but what are you doing here?" William asked.

“I came to get a spell book I left here the other day. I could hear that thing talking as I walked up to the front door so I figured I would come around the back and save all your butts.” She explained, laughing lightly.

“Yeah well thank goodness for that, I thought I was a goner!” Dawn replied, rubbing her wrists lightly. Plonking down in the closest arm chair her eyes suddenly frowned.

"Has anyone else noticed that these attacks are getting more frequent?"

"Yeah it seems the further along I get the more desperate they are." Buffy replied.

“That’s actually why I needed the spell book. Tara and I are working on a spell that will not only stop anything demonic for entering the house but will set off a sort of supernatural alarm." Willow’s eyes lit up excitedly, she just loved talking about magic.

"That would be great Will." William smiled warmly. It would offer them so much more security and they wouldn’t have to worry about demons doing the whole break and enter and taking a hostage routine.

"I should have it worked out by the morning with Tara’s help." She informed them standing from the lounge.

"Will can you do me a favor?" William asked standing with her.

"Of course Spike."

"Can Dawn stay with you and Tara? Just until you have the spell up and running. Please?"

"No. I’m staying here with you." Dawn defiantly intervened. She stood and stepped in front of William. Her eyes flared with anger of the fact of her being brushed aside.

"It’s not safe for you sweetie." Buffy told her, reaching a hand out to touch her hand. Dawn, looked down at Buffy, the anger dissolving from her eyes and she nodded understandingly.

"Yeah of course. Tara and I would love to have her over." Dawn’s eyes shone at the mention of Tara’s name.

"I'll go pack a bag." Dawn said racing up the stairs. William and Willow smiled at each other. While Dawn was packing, Willow managed to find the book she was after and safely tucked it under her arm. Just then, Dawn came bounding back down the stairs a bag slung over her shoulder and her pillow in her arms. Joyfully, she placed a kiss on both Buffy and William's cheeks before she followed Willow out the door and to her car. William and Buffy both followed them out to the porch and waved goodbye as the car pulled off the curb and down the street. Soon, all that could be heard is crickets chirping in the darkness.

"This isn't right Spike. Your own sister can't even stay in her home anymore without the fear of being attacked." Buffy sighed frustrated.

"It’s just for the night luv.” He said laying a supportive arm on her shoulder.

"I know I’m just... frustrated."

"You know I could help with that." William smirked, his blue eyes twinkling in the light of the poorly lit porch. Buffy laughed softly at his attempt of a joke, shaking her head.

"I should head to bed... I had a good night." She smiled.

"Yeah me too." They both stepped inside, William allowing Buffy to step in before him. Then, while William secured the front door, Buffy headed up the stairs. She was almost to the top before she hesitated. Something inside her was nagging at her, wanting her to ask the question but not knowing if she really should. She stopped and turned around on the stair she was on, holding on the rail for support. William was still standing at the bottom of the stairs which in itself didn’t surprise her. He would have been watching her go up the stairs before he went to the kitchen as he always did. She sucked in a deep breath for courage even though she knew she didn’t need to. Not really.

"Would you... I mean..." The words didn’t seem to be coming out the way she wanted to. Taking another deep unsteady breath she tried to continue.

"Maybe you could stay with me tonight? I'm still a little shaken up." William smiled at her request. He realized although she was trying to be strong her voice came across so scared but also so shy and unsure of herself. Without hesitating, he quickly climbed the stairs two at a time to reach her.

"Couldn’t keep me away pet." William laced his hand into Buffy’s where she led them to her room. Without even bothering to get changed, they slipped under the covers, William lightly wrapping a protective
arm around Buffy’s waist. Soon, they both drifted off into a comfortable sleep where they felt safe and loved by one another.


Chapter End Notes:
please leave feedback ;)