Author's Chapter Notes:
A MASSIVE thanks to my Beta Burnkitty you are the bomb *hugs and kisses*.
And a HUGE thanks to Edgehead for the awesome banner, your the best Mel!
Chapter 19 - Elizabeth.

If Buffy hadn’t been in such pain she might have laughed at the current situation. Giles had his foot pressed flat to the floor in his new red sport convertible BMW 328 iC and she was leaning against William in the back seat. She was sure she was pushing him into the side panel with each contraction. But all he did was mutter small comforts in her ear and stroked her hair gently. As they whizzed past houses and buildings, William could have sworn Giles drove though every stop sign and red light in their path.

Buffy felt exhausted already and the break in between each contraction she could feel was growing shorter and shorter. She didn’t’t think it would happen so fast, not this fast. The doctor had explained to her that labor was a slow, drawn out process. This was no where near slow. But it was the intense pushing pain that suddenly gathered around her rear that undone it for her. She screamed at the pain and she was sure right then and there the baby was going to rip though her to get out. At that moment Giles pulled into the emergency bay at the hospital. There was a wheelchair waiting for her armed with two midwives as William had thoughtfully rang before they left the factory.

The second the car stopped Giles seemed to be around the other side of the car, moving the chair forward and offering Buffy a secure hand. She grabbed it and praying she wouldn’t’t get half way up and get hit with another contraction she pushed herself up onto her feet. The other pain had subsided somewhat thankfully and as she stepped onto the firm ground she could feel another contraction building. The wheelchair was placed in front of her and she reluctantly sat down.

She told herself to breath as the pain worsened and didn’t’t even feel the chair moving or that William was right next to her. As the contraction wore off she could see herself in a large room with a freshly made bed. The midwives begin to busy themselves doing and checking various things and asking William questions. She looked up at him and grabbed his hand. She just needed him to be close. He squeezed it gently and she squeezed it back. Knowing that he was here with her though this meant more to her then he would ever know.

After moving his prized car to appropriate parking, Giles had made his way to the closest pay phone in the hospital. First he rang Willow who he knew would be worried after not finding them at the factory at told her that Buffy had gone into early labor. After sending him near deaf in excitement, Willow promised to grab Dawn and the others and come straight away to the hospital. They exchanged goodbyes and Giles hung up. He next dialed Drusilla, knowing that she would be concerned to know what had happened at the factory also. When he rang however he got no answer. Assuming the worse he called her cell phone. It only rang once before it was picked up with a very concerned Dru on the other line.

Giles reassured her Buffy was fine and that William had gotten to her in time. He then told her that Buffy was in labor and they were at the hospital. She promised she would be there soon as she was already on her way and hung up. Just then Willow and the rest of the gang stumbled upon him. Dawn had a smile from ear to ear and begged Giles to tell her everything. So, complying with the young girl’s simple wish, he found the nearest seating and sat down. He then began to tell them everything that had happened. By the time he was finished explaining and answering all of Dawn’s questions the best he could he saw a very reluctant Drusilla walk into the waiting room. Before any hellos were exchanged a very weary William walked from the birthing suit. Everyone except Giles leapt out of their seats expectantly, wanting to know something anything.

"Well?" They all chorused. William scanned the room, not quite believing that everyone was there.

"She's asking for you... Dru." William informed her smiling softly. He caught a hint of a blush rising from her cheeks.

“Doctor says that Buffy’s doing well.” He informed the others before turning back to the doors he had just come from, motioning Drusilla to follow. They entered a dully lit room; Buffy was lying on the bed and Dru couldn’t help but think how small and afraid she looked right then. William rushed back to Buffy’s side, stroking her hair and whispering something in her ear. She seemed to like what ever he said because she smiled briefly. Dru took this time to look at the woman before her. She could see that she had been hurt, gauze was strapped to the side of her head, her hair was wild and messy; her forehead glistened with sweat and her face showing signs of pain even though the smile she was giving William. She saw Buffy move her head to look at her and she stepped forward, clasping her hand.

"Dru..." Buffy groaned in pain as another contraction started to take hold of her body.

"Everything’s going to be okay." She whispered softly Buffy nodded, gripping her hand harder as the contraction hit its peak.

"AAARRRHHH! Oh god...." She wailed. Drusilla found herself becoming increasingly worried for the young woman bed-ridden before her. She could not remember a time or a place where Buffy had ever been in so much pain. Glancing across she could see that William’s eyes were filled with despair. He was still in the same position, hadn’t filched a muscle. William felt totally helpless. Here he was the Slayer and he had never felt more useless in his life. He hated it. The tight grip on his hand begun to ease and he knew that the latest contraction was winding down. Just then the doctor walked in, no doubt to check on her progress.

“Well how are we going tonight?" He asked looking up at Buffy. She lifted her head off the pillow before replying.

"How do you think I’m going?" Buffy hissed at him throwing her head back on the pillow as another contraction started and groaned in pain.

"Doc isn't there something you can give her for the pain?" Spike begged. He watched as the doctor put on a pair of gloves and examine Buffy.

"I wish I could but Buffy is fully dilated. So how about we start trying to push huh?" Buffy nodded at this and tried to reposition herself.

"Now Buffy if you could just bring you knees up, perhaps put your feet on the stirrups on either side of the bed and we can have this baby." He smiled at her reassuringly. He moved his hands to each ankle guiding her feet to the bars to rest her feet on. She could feel another contraction building and she braced herself for the pain.

"Okay Buffy lets try a nice big push."

"AAAARRRRHHHH!" Buffy screamed out, lifting her head. She pushed with the contraction, not even caring the doctor was now staring in between her legs. When the contraction finally ended she laid her head back breathing heavily and looking at Dru, tears in her eyes.

"I can't do this." She cried.

"Yes you can your strong." She reassured her.

"But the pain...." She moaned.

"You like pain." Drusilla whispered, reminding Buffy of the old days.

"This is different." Buffy growled attempting to grab Dru by the collar of her shirt. Instead she was hit with another contraction. Taking a deep breath she pushed again, screaming out her frustration and pain. The contraction dulled and Buffy vaguely heard the doctor start to speak to her.

"That’s it Buffy just a little more, I can see the head crowning now. Next contraction I want you to give me a really big push okay?" Buffy nodded. Her baby girl was almost here. She could feel the last of the contraction washing away and she turned to William. His eyes were a sea of emotions but she knew he was trying to stay strong for her. He smiled softly at her, as if trying to reassure her everything was going to be ok.

"Hey." He whispered leaning in so he was face to face with her.

"Hey yourself."

"You’re doing so well luv." She started to smile but it soon turned to a grimace as the pain of another contraction begun to build. She pushed again, like the doctor had asked and she felt like she was falling apart. Her mind screamed with her mouth and she could only just hear the gentle coxing from the doctor.

"That’s it Buffy nice big push." Buffy gave it everything she had and was rewarded with the feeling of the baby’s slipping out of her. Suddenly the ceiling started to shake and then William and Buffy were bathed in a golden glow.

"What the hell?" The doctor muttered puzzled but quickly turned his attention back to Buffy and the baby. Stranger things had happened in this hospital he knew.

"Okay Buffy I just need one more push." Buffy pushed again. One last desperate push to set her baby girl free. The room went quiet as if waiting for something. Then they heard the unmistakable sound of a baby screaming. Buffy breathed a sigh of relief. Not only could she hear the sound of her beautiful child, she could feel no pain. Looking at William she gestured upwards to the glowing light that had appeared out of nowhere.

"What’s that?" Buffy asked confused.

"My guess would be that it is the Powers that Be giving you the blessing and what ever other protection they had in mind." Dru replied.

"Stealthy." William added with raised eye brow.

"Here. Say hello to your healthy baby girl." The doctor interrupted them handing Buffy the baby. A midwife had wrapped the little child in a blanket so just her little head was peeking out. Buffy’s eye’s lit up at the sight of her. Her eyes were closed and she was still crying. Her little nose was crunched up and her little eyebrows furrowed in her anguish. Buffy had never seen anything so beautiful and pure in her life. William peered over the blanket, awed at the sight of his newborn daughter.

"Hi Elizabeth." He whispered. Buffy offered William to take her which he did almost greedily. He wanted to touch her, hold her and love her like he knew he could do as a father. She became quiet as he walked to the other side of the bed as if it was soothing to her.

"I'm your daddy and this is your mummy and this is you’re ..... Godmother Drusilla." Dru gasped in shock, her hand fluttering to her mouth.

"We've been meaning to ask you but thing have been so hectic and we know that you would never let anything happen to her."

"I'd be honored." She smiled.

"Hey little one why don't you go meet you godmother." Buffy whispered. William passed his daughter to Drusilla like she was a piece of fragile glass and watched on in amusement as she nursed her close to her, rocking her softly. Only then the light above them begun to fade away. A midwife approached the threesome a smile on her face as she peered down at the new life before her.

"We need to take the baby for her shots and a few measurements. Does someone want to come with her while it’s done?"

"Dru would you like to go? I really need to talk to Buffy." William asked. There was a hint of nervousness in his voice she noticed.

"I would be honoured." She replied smiling and following the nurse out of the room. William turned back to look at Buffy and realized how completely exhausted she looked.

"Hey Luv."

"Hi." She whispered back softly. William dragged the nearest chair to the bed and sat down. He reached out his hand and caressed a loose hair from her face and Buffy leaned in to his touch.

"I'm so proud of you." William whispered, gently rubbing her cheek with his thumb. She smiled and closed her eyes softly.

“Thank you." Buffy opened her eyes at this, looking at the man before her with confusion in her eyes.

"What for?"

"For giving something so amazing.... for giving me a family... a beautiful baby girl." Buffy was so overcome with emotion that she fought the tears that threatened to fall. She lent forward and kissed him softly before resting her head back on the pillow.

"I know we talked about going slow like a normal couple but Buffy where not a normal couple." Buffy laughed softly at this.

“Don’t I know it.” She muttered. William sucked in the biggest breath possible. This was it.

"Marry me." Buffy’s jaw dropped in awe and face mirrored complete shock at his request.

"Wh..wh…what?" She managed to stammer out. He took a ring from his pocket.

“It was my mothers.... I love you and all I want is to spend forever with you. Please Buffy do me this honour and marry me." Buffy's eyes shined with tears and a stray tear slipped out and fell down her cheek. She begun to nod as words had escaped her for that moment.

"Yes...Of course I’ll marry you." William’s face lit up and he didn’t’t hesitate a moment to slide the ring onto her finger. She leaned towards him once again, their lips smashing against one another’s, their kiss so full of passion and love. As William pulled away to catch his breath he saw an odd expression on Buffy’s face.

"Luv what's wrong?" Buffy let her head fall back onto the pillow, her eyes going glassy as she stared up at the ceiling.

"Something’s wrong... I don't feel so good." William leapt off his chair and racing to the door before yanking it open.

"DOCTOR!" He bellowed. The doctor rushed into the room a fleet of other medical staff in toe.

"What happened?"

"I…I don't know she was fine and then she said she didn't feel too good."

"Buffy can you tell me what’s wrong?" The doctor hovered over her, waiting for an answer.

"I just feel...feel so weak." Buffy's last word came out in a whisper. A concerned expression washed over the doctor as he ordered a midwife to take Buffy’s blood pressure. They were all stopped in their tracks however when they noticed a large pool of blood gathering around her and dripping onto the floor.

"Oh god.... she's haemorrhaging call the code." He yelled. William found himself getting pushed back as everything thing seemed to become a blur. A siren blared and nurses and midwifes swarmed around Buffy like bees. William couldn’t’t take his eyes off Buffy though. Her face was now a deathly pale white and she let her head roll to one side, her eyes threatening to close. He squeezed past a nurse and reached out, stroking Buffy’s hair tenderly and fighting the tears that threatened to fall.

"No... Stay with me luv. Please." He gasped her, grabbing her hand and squeezing it gently while still stroking her face with the other in desperation.

"William... she's the only good thing I’ve ever done... you make sure to tell her that." She whispered before letting her eyes fall close.

"No Buffy no!” Tears begun to fall and all the helplessness and desperation felt like it was choking him. He turned to the doctor, enraged, ready to rip him apart if necessary.

“What’s wrong with her?" He yelled threateningly at the doctor.

"Get him out of here." The doctor barked at one of the male midwifes. He felt the man grab him on the arm and pull forcefully. Fighting the urge to pick him up and slam him into the nearest wall he let the midwife show him the door.

"Buffy... please don't leave me." He sobbed as the door swung shut. He could hear the doctor barking orders at the other people in the room fighting to save Buffy’s life. William leant against the wall trying to find strength within himself. Instead he found himself sinking into a ball on the floor as the pain overtook him, sobs rocking his body.


Chapter End Notes:
PLEASE leave feedback!