Author's Chapter Notes:
In this episode i refer to the vampire with a soul working in L.A but instead of it being Angel its Drusilla.

Also i have used a few lines from Angel episode Darla, I don't own those lines.

PLEASE, PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK :) I love to know what you guys think.
The Awesome banner was made by Edgehead a HUGE thanks to her *hugs*
Return to me

Two days later

William stood at the side of the grave; they had just laid Buffy to rest. If you could call it that. Every one had pitched in to help pay for the funeral. It was small but full of meaning. It was starting to get dark and everyone had left hours ago, he had asked Willow and Tara to look after Dawn for the night as he just wanted to be alone. But he couldn’t forget what Dawn had told him as they got ready for the funeral this morning, the conversation still echoing in his mind.

“Before she jumped she wanted me to tell you something.” Dawn had said standing in front of him, helping him straighten his tie as they got ready for the funeral. She smiled up at him as he placed the leather duster on. Dawn had said Buffy had wanted him to have it.

“What?” He said a bit shocked, she hadn't mentioned this before although William hadn't really been around to talk to in the last few days.

“Buffy, before she jumped, she said that she knew if she didn’t jump that you would and she couldn’t let you.” Dawn replied with accuracy. William looked down feeling the tears sting his eyes for the hundredth time in such a short amount of time.

“She’s probably right.” He replied, trying to hide his glassy eyes. He went and sat on the bed as Dawn joined him.

“She also said we all have to look after each other. That the hardest thing in the world is to live in it but to be brave and live for her.” William smiled at this and touched Dawns face gently.

“She loved you so much Dawnie... I just wish I had been nicer to her, I mean I know she was a vampire but she was… just… doesn’t matter anymore.” He sighed looking down at his hands, he had realized after seeing Buffy’s body broken and bruised on the hard ground just how much he had cared for the girl. He had been falling for her, it wasn't love but he knew given time it could have been.

“Were you in love with her?” Dawn asked looking into his eyes.

“No, I don’t know… I just know that after everything she did for us, there was more to her then meets the eye... I just wish I had gotten to know her better…. I felt… I feel for her, she’s in my heart and now she’s gone... huh story of my life.” He spat bitterly.

“She also said to tell you she was in love with you, that she loves you so much.” William was thrown by this particular piece of information his sister had just delivered to him. Buffy had never said anything about this, but it explained why she had done so much for them, she had died for them, for all of them. William felt his body shake with tears as Dawn held him tightly.


William shook the memory from his mind, feeling hot tears stinging his face as he looked down at her grave. He didn’t know why he was still standing there, in a way he guessed he was waiting for something, anything that would make them all wrong and him right. That Buffy was strong and nothing could stop her, nothing could keep her down or out of the game. But the more he stood there, the more he realized she wasn’t coming back. The thought made him sick to his stomach; he had to do something to bring her back to him. Suddenly he knew just what to do.

“I’ll get you back, I’ll find a way.” he whispered into the wind before walking off into the night.


Three months later

William and all the Scoobies walked towards the Summer’s house, they had been at the Magic Box all day, again. Willow had found a spell that would bring Buffy back and for the last month they had been looking for the last needed ingredient, an item called the Urn of Osiris. Willow had tried to explain to William there was only one left in the entire world and it had been missing for decades so hope for finding it was close to slim to none. They stopped out side the Summer’s residence as William turned to look at them.

“How does someone misplace an urn, especially one with that kind of power?” He asked sounding frustrated. He kicked the curb with his foot in anger.

“Maybe… maybe we weren’t meant to find it.” Tara softly added. At this, William’s head snapped up at Tara, glaring.

“What? Like we weren’t meant to bring her back? No. She died saving us, saving Dawn and now… she’s probably in hell suffering, crying in pain… calling to us for help. I won’t leave her there, I can’t… she’s counting on Me.” he replied choking back his sobs as they desperately tried to rip through his throat.

“Spike without the urn the spell is useless.” Willow reminded him.

“Then we’ll find another spell.” he snapped.

“There are no other spells you know that.”

“Then look harder!” He snapped again raising his voice this time. He turned sharply and bee-lined to the front door. Opening it sharply he slandered into the living room with everyone in toe. William stopped abruptly as he stared at the vision in front of him and everyone behind him skittled to a halt, almost knocking William over. They all peered around him to see what had stopped him dead in his tracks. There stood Buffy, hair wild, confusion in her eyes and standing so still in the dress they all remember picking out for her to wear to be buried in. Her

“Buffy.” William spoke softly as he took a step towards her only to see her step back a few steps as if in an attempt to get away from him. She looked around at all of them her eyes watering over as she spoke.

“Who are you people?” she asked in a mere whisper. Dawn stepped around her brother to look at the woman who had died saving her life.

“Buffy it’s me Dawn, don’t you remember me?” Buffy just shook her head as she looked around the room trying to figure out who all these people were.

“Do you remember any of us?” William asked.

“Should I?” she asked, her eyes now focusing on him.

“We're your friends.”

“I wouldn’t say that.” Xander retorted, making his way to the front of the crowd.

“Xander!” Both Willow and Tara snapped simultaneously, glaring at him.

“Where was I? What happened to me?” She asked still confused looking at first William and then Willow, seeking for answers. Willow quickly tugged on William’s sleeve and hastily pulled him aside. The others just stood there, looking at Buffy, not knowing what to do or say.

“What?” He snapped, his mind still reeling.

“Where ever she has come from it must have been one hell of a trip, to wipe her memory like that ya know. I don’t think it’s a good idea to rush her back into the truth just yet.” William nodded in agreement and he turned back to Buffy.

“About three months ago you kind of disappeared; we’ve been trying to find you. But its okay now, you’re safe here.” She nodded as she walked around the room, admiring the things on display. It all seemed new to her. She couldn’t understand why she felt so comfortable, so safe around this male stranger that spoke to her.

“What do you remember?” Tara asked as she watched Buffy walk towards a mirror.

“Nothing before now but it seems I’m a girl, blonde hair, green eyes and I look in my early 20’s if I was to guess.” She said as she admired her reflection. Everyone gathered behind her.

“Your 21.” Willow answered looking at William who looked confused.

“That’s how old she was when she was turned.” She whispered to William who acknowledged this by nodding. Buffy turned back to look at them and they all stepped back to give her some room.

“May I?” William asked walking towards her. She nodded her head, knowing he wasn’t going to harm her. William placed his hand over her chest as he felt the distinct thump thump, thump thump against his hand. Her heart beating. He looked at her, shocked and with tears in his eyes.

“You’re human.” He whispered, removing his hand from her chest like he had been stung..

“Am I not usually?” She laughed softly. The room returned to a hushed silence. Not a word was uttered as they stared at her. They stood there silent for a few moments before Buffy spoke again.

“Okay you guys are starting to freak me out.”

“Sorry we just didn’t think we would see you again… maybe we can make you some hot cocoa?” Dawn said looking at her. Her look was sincere.

“Do I like hot cocoa?” she asked

“You love it.” Dawn said grinning and taking her hand, led her to the kitchen. The others stood there in shock, not moving from their places, faces in awe.

“That was her right? I mean that was Buffy?” Xander asked breaking the silence.

“That was her; I could always feel when Buffy was around and trust me it was her.” William replied looking around at them.

“But she’s human now.” Tara said

“We all got that but how?” Xander asked.

“I don’t know I’ve never heard of anything like this before.” Willow replied, thinking.

“Spike did you get anything else off her?” Willow asked.

“She’s human but I felt power, strength its still there but the demons gone.” he replied looking out towards the kitchen, he could hear the distinct tinkering of cups.

“Looks like research time.” Xander replied.

“Call Giles. Ask him to meet us at the Magic Box tomorrow. We’ll meet in the morning.” Everyone thankfully nodded, acknowledging that he needed time alone with Buffy. Xander and Anya headed for the door, waving goodbye before closing the door behind them. Willow and Tara remained with him. After Buffy had died Willow and Tara had moved in with him and Dawn to help out with the day to day stuff. William had felt so lost without Buffy and he was glad to have their support.

“What are we going to do about her memory?” William asked. Laughter trickled out of the kitchen along with the familiar clang of Dawn chucking the teaspoon into the sink.

“I know a spell that could bring it back but I don’t think it’s a good idea… I mean the things she has done in the past and where ever she was, to have all that come flooding back all at once. It might be too much for her.” Willow explained.

“But her memory, it will come back right?”

“I’d say yes in time. It looks like when she was returned her memories where disrupted, like it was straining and her body could only cope this way… but given time I believe it will come back, probably bits at a time but eventually it will all come back to her”. William nodded understanding, happy for this information.

“And until then?”

“All we can really do is be there for her, make her comfortable. When she does start to remember things, we have to be there for her. Try and help her process the memories by helping her connect the dots.” Willow replied.

“Yeah and we can’t force them on her either, it will freak her out.” Tara chimed in.

“Plus the most important thing is to find out why she was brought back, how she was brought back and why she is human.” Willow concluded. The three of them looked at each other, trying to predict the unpredictable.