He was going crazy. He was sure of it. He had invited his ex girlfriend to stay with him for two weeks and he was going crazy. What in the hell had possessed him to agree to letting Buffy stay with him? What had he just done? He had damned himself to hell, that’s what. He didn’t even want to think about what Cordelia was gonna do when she found out about he and Hank’s little arrangement.

Glancing hurriedly out his bedroom window and directly into her old one, he sighed loudly. He was able to make out the shapes of various sizes of shoes boxes littering the floor and tables in the room. God, that woman only has two feet, how many bloody pairs of shoes does she really need? Looking down at the nearby street, Spike saw a lengthy brunette around the age of fourteen slowly tug various bags of luggage out of the back of Hank’s SUV. Dawn.

She had grown out of her awkward phase into a beautiful young lady since the last time he had seen her. She had only been a mere ten years old when Hank and Joyce divorced and they were forced to move to the other side of the country. Poor girl. She had to go through all that mess. He realized that she had looked up and caught his eye. Smiling slightly, she stuck a hand straight up in the air and waved it back and forth wildly. Spike chuckled softly and waved back before watching her go inside.

Snapping back to reality, his blonde head whipped around frantically. His house was a disaster! Should have hired that maid, Da’ suggested. He mused. Running over to the bed, he snatched Cordy’s discarded red lacy bra off the bed and threw it haphazardly into the closet and slammed the oak door shut behind it. He then preceded to fly around the house picking up different objects and tossing them in a less noticeable place.

“Bloody ‘ell!” He cried out, falling flat on his face after he tripped over one of Cordy’s very expensive brand name high heels. Grabbing the dreadful piece of footwear, he stared at it, briefly wondering what force drove women to buy so many damn shoes. If they saved half as much money in a jar on top of the refrigerator as they did buying shoes…they’d all have a bunch of money in a jar on top of their refrigerator.

Suddenly the sound of the door bell rang throughout the house, startling him out of his thoughts and back to the important matter at hand. The one that involved his ex, him, and the front door.

Jumping quickly to his feet, Spike ran down stairs and to the front door, peering out through the peep hole in the door. And even through he knew who it was, he still couldn’t stop the small gasp that escaped his full lips at the site of her.

Her beautiful long blonde hair shone in the muted glow of the overhead sunlight. It bounced around her face as she rounded back and forth on her heels nervously waiting for the door to open and her long last lover to come into view for the first time in three years.

She was still a tiny little thing, barely five foot 2 in height. Spike reasoned that she’d probably come up to his chin or so. Her pretty face held the same anxious look that he was sure mirrored his own, and her full ruby lips were parted slightly as if taking in the fresh Californian air for the very first time. Her complexion was smooth and flawless, pink and gold that saw just enough sun to make it glow beautifully. Bright hazel eyes were hidden form view by long lashes that extended from tan eyelids. She was obviously looking down at her feet.

Unable to stop himself, his eyes roamed up and down her body. He took note of the small waist and feminine curve of her hips. Strong, straight legs stemmed out from under a short denim mini skirt that hugged her thin hips suggestively. A light blue halter adorned the top half of her body, cut just low enough to show off a bit of cleavage and casual sandals ornamented her tiny feet.

She was still the beauty she had been back in high school.

Spike wiped away the drill that had started to form on his lower lip, highly embarrassed.

Coming out of the haze he had been in, he glanced down at the shoe in his hand and quickly turned and threw it into a nearby potted plant holder. Returning to the door, his hand flew to the handle, ready to rip it open so hard the door might come off it’s hinges. Just as he was about to do just that, his eye caught on a particular picture on the end table adjacent to the door. It was off him and Cordelia the night that he proposed. She was smiling so bright that every white tooth in her mouth showed perfectly clear and her long dark hair flew down around her face, past her shoulders. The expensive red strapless dress that covered her body left little to the imagination and her nicely shaped legs were crossed as she sat up right in a chair. Spike was behind her and barely noticeable.

Reaching out, he turned the framed photo around so it faced the wall and turned back to let his best friend back into his life.

And into his heart.


It was so very quiet. The breath in both blondes’ throats hitched and neither made a sound. Crickets chirped in the background and the hot Californian sun waited patiently for one of them to make a move. Or at least some kind of action that would show they were still alive.

“Hi.” Buffy squeaked, realizing as the strange noise left her throat just how loud she had said it. She couldn’t believe it. It had to be a dream. She had to have been dreaming. How else could she explain the man standing in front of her who had yet to utter a single syllable? She absolutely no idea whatsoever what she was supposed to do right bout now. Should they hug? Maybe shake hands? Just smile politely and nod? What did normal people do in this situation?

So there she stood, staring like a complete idiot, into the brightest blue eyes in the entire world.

He hadn’t changed much, she realized, as he leaned casually against the door frame trying to act like her presence didn’t affect him. The pale complexion of his smooth skin shone brightly in summer sun. High cheekbones, and full lips made for the most beautiful man she’d ever seen. She remembered what is was like to kiss those very same lips…

Mentally slapping herself, Buffy continued to give him the once over, as well as the second, third, and forth over. He didn’t seem to notice all the staring she was doing on account of the same amount he was doing.

The ocean blue of his eyes shone intensely through his clear contacts, tiny green and gold pigments swirling around in a kaleidoscope of colors, and the ever present scar above his left eye was visible. His skin-tight black pants and black t-shirt conformed to his body, leaving not much to the imagination. He also still wore the red silk shirt that he was so fond of but was sans his trademark leather duster. His bleached hair was loosely slicked back, giving him the 'Big Bad' image he had strived for. He's exactly how I remembered him. It's been three years, and he hasn't changed. Not that he would, though. People don’t change drastically in just a three years time. But god, she thought, he’s still beautiful.

She smiled, cheerfully. Maybe a little too cheerfully.

“H-hi.” He said in a raspy tone, finding his voice for the first time. He smiled nervously and ran a hand through his bleach locks.

A few seconds passed before Buffy spoke again. Not finding anything too intelligent to say, she opted for the easier phrases.

“Hi.” She repeated, feeling very much like a moron.

He laughed apprehensively, trying to break the tension that sounded them like a giant plastic bubble sucking the life out of everything inside it. He smiled. “Hi.”

Ah, the classics.

They both laughed loudly.

“Well, now that we got the mind-numbing fear out of the way…” Buffy joked, slipping a stray piece of sun-kissed hair behind her ear with a thin finger. Spike chuckled softly at that.

She smiled gladly, happy to hear the long lost sound of his infectious laugher. It warmed her heart to hear the sound of his contentment ringing through the air once again after so long. She had gone a long time without hearing that beautiful melody and welcomed it openly.

“Should we, um…hug?” He asked nervously, gesturing with his arms in the space between them. He didn’t understand this sudden need to feel her wrapped in his arms, but the feeling only intensified with every second.

She shook her head. “Give me a minute. I just wanna bask.”

He smiled knowingly, doing the same.

She filled his senses, igniting a powerful flame deep inside him that he had thought long gone. Her beauty radiated off of her in waves. His eyes had to run fast to keep up. The sound of her voice was music to his ears and pierced his soul with a slow, beautiful harmony of pure affection. The long forgotten taste of her lush pink-tinted lips seemed to rush to the surface and forced him she swallow it back down again, where it remained, unsated and planning to rise once more with a vengeance. The sweet smell of vanilla and something purely Buffy lingered in the humid air, thick with passion and lust. He had yet to touch her, but he was sure that there would be fireworks when his fingertips finally did graze her creamy skin.

He suddenly felt very aware of every little thing happening around him. He was not aware, however, of the affect her had on the woman before him. Or the fact that she was faced with the same experiences that had just plagued him.

She was staring, she knew it. And she was fairly certain that she had a slight drill forming on her bottom lip, but she made no move to wipe at it. Her brain was too preoccupied with having her senses assaulted by this handsome man before her, and did not register that any other required movement was necessary. Finally the involuntary action of blinking became a must and the moment was over.

“Okay, I’m basked. We can hug now.” She smiled stepping forward to meet him in a powerful embrace. He put his arms around her waist, ever so slowly, and pulled her against his chest. She let herself grow weak in his arms, and closed her eyes to keep herself from crying with the utter delight and sorrowfulness of being held in his embrace again after so long without it. Spike dropped his head to her shoulder and breathed in the scent of her hair and skin, as the light fabric of her top scratched his nose gently. She shuddered and wrapped her arms around his shoulders tightly, putting her nose into the folds of his silky red shirt that he let fall around the top of his shoulders.

“This is nice.” She commented, lips fluttering around on his shoulder. “I missed this.”

“Oh, me too, pet. Me too.” He exclaimed at the sheer joy of having her near him again. How had he gone so long without this wonderful feeling? It hadn’t really been three years since the last time he was allowed to touch her, had it? It just didn’t seem possible. Now, having her in his arms once more, it seemed that only hours had passed between them. It was as though he had just woken up from the very deep sleep he had been in the night they first made love. Chills ran down the column of his spine and he almost shivered in their intensity. Pulling her tighter into the embrace, he held on for dear life.

They were finally home.