Disclaimer: Obviously, the characters in this story are not mine. They are the property of Joss Whedon, UPN, Mutant Enemy, etc. I own nothing except for the stories that I write to help my Spuffy obsessed self sleep at night.


Four and ½ years ago, Sunnydale:

The Sunnydale High School gym was filled from one side of the large room to the other with hordes of wild, hormone-driven teenagers as they danced and laughed good-naturedly. The brightly colored lights swirled around in an almost complete synchronization with the loud, pulsating music, seemingly dancing along with the crowd on the dance floor. A overly-large crystal ball hung high from the ceiling, reflecting tiny pigments of beautiful light on the crème colored walls, which held banners and streamers painted vibrantly in school colors, by bulky pieces of Scotch tape. Balloons were strung above every entrance and window, and a few had managed to escape the confines of the sticky tape and drifted down on the make-shift dance floor below. They were kicked this way and that by the assortment of different kinds of formal-wear shoes that clad the feet of all the dancers, rising and falling every-so-often in the humid air. Excitement seemed to radiate off of every person in the room, including the short, blonde girl standing nervously next to the punch table.

Buffy waited anxiously to show off her new dress to a certain best friend of hers, twisting her tiny fingers in her long blonde hair and bouncing back and forth on the soles of her feet. It was nearly ten o’clock and she had been here for over an hour, waiting impatiently for her promised date to arrive.

William had stopped her in school today and informed her that he and Xander would be a slight-bit late to the homecoming dance, saying that they needed extra time to prepare and that they promised that the wait would be worth it. He didn’t, however, tell her that a slight-bit late, in actuality, meant almost an hour and a half after the dance had started.

‘What the hell could be taking them so long? It wasn’t like they ever did anything to get ready to go out but brush their hair out of their eyes so they could actually see. Jeez, they were taking longer than me, Willow, and Tara to get ready.’ She thought, irritated to no end.

Adverting her gaze from the main entrance, Buffy surveyed the crowd of dancers with an envious look on her face. An assortment of colors assaulted her hazel eyes, as her fellow peers moved wildly to the fast-paced beat of the current song. Dresses and tuxes made of ever fabric known to man, in every color known to Buffy, adorned the sweaty bodies of the young students, adjusting to the pulling of the threads as they danced. It amazed Buffy to think of the killing the formal-wear stores must have made in the last two months.

Her gaze landed briefly on Willow and Tara as they danced experimentally by the edge of the dance floor. They had both decided to come to the dance without dates, insisting that all people of the opposite sex were very irritating and that they would rather spend the night having fun with each other, rather than put up with incredibly boring dates as they tried to put the moves on them. Buffy smiled as she watched then move, astounded at how beautiful they both looked tonight.

Willow had ultimately gone with a deep, emerald green strapless dress. The female sales associate had picked it out for her, advising her that it really brought out the color of her eyes and made her hair stand out in all it’s glory. The top have of it was a corset, framing her nice figure suggestively, while separating and lifting her breasts, giving her small chest more cleavage. It fanned out below the waist, where it hung loosely, flowing around her shapely legs as she twirled. The simply satin ribbon that was tied around her small waist in a bow added a touch of elegance to the dress.

Her short red hair was down, hanging just above the tips of her shoulders. A tiny green rose, a shade lighter than her dress adorned her right ear and held that side of her hair back, showing off the lightly done make-up, and pretty smile she had while dancing along side Tara, who looked amazing in her princess style, baby blue dress, that slightly resembled the look of Buffy’s dream wedding gown when she was eight.

Tara suddenly looked up from her spot beside Willow and caught Buffy’s eye. She smiled kindly, and raised her hand in a small wave. Her green eyes danced in cheerfulness as she gave the other blonde a look that seemed to ask ‘why aren’t you dancing?’

Buffy smiled and shrugged silently. She watched as Tara went back to dancing with Willow and sighed softly. The song changed, again another fast song, and the couple kept up their movement.

Buffy glanced back to the walk-through to see if she could catch a glimpse of her yet-to-be-seen date. Upon not finding him or Xander, she adverted her attention to the table to her right and proceeded to help herself to some punch. The sweet, sugary liquid slide down her throat smoothly, chilling her mouth from it’s normal ninety-eight point six degrees to a much cooler temperature.

“Buffy! I can’t believe you actually showed your face here tonight!” A loud voice from behind her rang out. Buffy slowly turned and faced her with a blank expression on her face. Cordelia continued without notice. “Which is starting to look a little slagged, by the way. What, are you just skipping foundation entirely now?”

“Thanks, Cordy.” Buffy replied sarcastically, holding her cup full of punch in her hands. “And if I ever need any help with that, I’ll be sure to call you. What’s your number again? I-800-I’m a skanky ho?”

“Oh, somebody spent some extra quality time rehearsing her comebacks.” She mused with false enthusiasm, smiling evilly.

For the first time, since the shoo-in for homecoming queen had entered the room, Buffy observed her attire. The blonde had to admit that the May Queen looked beautiful in her jet black dress that ended just past her knees. It dipped dangerously low in the front, all the way to her navel, and was accented by tiny gleaming studs that followed the seam and brought out the dark tan of her skin. Tiny straps held the dress on her bony shoulders, where her long dark hair had been pulled up atop her head in a loose bun of soft tresses. Her make-up was slightly darker than she normally wore it, but still was faltering to her complexion. Her look was completed with a black Gucci handbag and a pair of strappy stilettos.

“Don’t flatter yourself, Cordelia. I don’t spend all my time thinking about you, but I’m fairly certain that you do.” Buffy remarked, feeling quite proud of yourself at the moment.

“And the laughs just keep rollin’ with you tonight, Buff.” The dark-haired girl joked snidely. Suddenly, Angel appeared beside her, wrapping an impressively large arm around her tiny waist. He gave Buffy the once over, and after deciding that he liked the way she looked, smiled down at her.

Buffy returned the friendly smile, while watching Cordy’s face.

“Don’t you just love Buffy’s great sense of humor, baby?” She asked him nastily, wrapping an arm of her own around her date for the evening.

Angel glanced down at the dark-haired girl curiously before looking over to Buffy. “Sure, babe. She’s very funny.” He responded, uninterested.

Cordelia continued, not noticing this at all.

“So, where’s your date, Buffy? Don’t tell me we-Willy stood you up?” She tormented, enjoying every moment.

“He’s running late, is all. He had a few things to take care of before he’s supposed to meet me here.” Buffy told her defensively. Actually, she was really starting to wonder if William was going to stand her up tonight…

“Well, it would just be a shame if he really did decide not to show up tonight.” Cordy went on to say. “I mean, I know he only asked you to try to make you feel better about not having anyone else to go with, but it’s kinda sad that he’d rather stand you up than have to actually spend the entire evening with you.” She ratted, hurtfully.

Buffy tried to push back the feelings of weakness, but couldn’t suppress the thought that maybe William had only wanted to take her to the dance to make her feel better for not having been asked. ‘God, could I be more of a loser.’ She thought sadly.

Angel chose that moment to put his two cents in. “Hey, babe, why don’t we go dance some more? Leave Buffy to her waiting for William.” He insisted, impulsively.

She looked up to the man beside her and smiled a smile that made Buffy want to heave. “Of course, baby. Have I told you how incredibly delicious you look tonight.” She flirted.

Buffy mentally gagged.

“Have fun, Buffy.” She said sarcastically, as the two turned to head back out on the dance floor.

Buffy watched as they walked away from her, overhearing Cordelia comment about how she couldn’t believe that Angel and William were related, and Angel’s response of ‘only by marriage.’ She sighed heavily, bringing the cup she still held in her fingers up to her lips and downing the rest of the punch.

~*~*~*~*~

“Jeez, William, would you stop fussing. We’re gonna be late.” Xander told the boy standing next to him in the boys’ restroom of Sunnydale High.

“I know that, whelp. It’s just I wanna make sure. I want everything to be perfect tonight.” William said, eyeing himself in the mirror. He still couldn’t believe that the person he saw staring back at him was indeed William Giles.

Xander had helped him for hours, starting as soon as school let out around two. They had both bought new tuxes with the money they earned working part-time at the local Doublemeat Palace, and were sure to not spare no expenses on the details. Both men were dressed in the most expensive suits they could afford and looked really handsome.

William had enlisted Xander’s help to assist him in his transformation from boring old William Giles to, as Xander liked to refer to him as now, Spike. The darker man had cut, bleached and styled Will’s hair using techniques he had learned from watching Willow, Tara, and Buffy play with their Barbies years ago. They had rummaged through drawer after drawer in the Giles’ residence trying to find the prescription contacts that Rupert had purchased for his younger son over six months ago. Upon finding them, the two young men had spent over two hours trying to get the small contraptions in place in William’s eyes. After succeeding in poking himself in the eyes a couple of times, William was finally sans-glasses.

“Well, if you ain’t perfect yet, you’re never gonna be. Now let’s get out of this place. Something smells awful funny in here.” Xander pointed out, scrunching up his nose in disgust.

“Of course it smells funny in here, you nit. We’re in the loo.”

“Yeah, and the dancing fun has always been held in the gym, so, as I always say, why try fixing something that isn’t broken.” Xander remarked sarcastically. He patted William on the back and made his way to the door.

William pulled a single red rose, the color of blood, out of his pocket. After checking his appearance one last time, he turned and followed Xander out of the restroom and towards the gym to find his date.

~*~*~*~

After her forth or fifth cup of punch, Buffy was debating on whether or not she really had to use the restroom. She was getting extremely bored standing alone and watching Willow and Tara have a good time. The two giddy girls had only stopped dancing once to refuel their dehydrated bodies with more punch and to try to force Buffy into dancing with them. She had declined politely, claiming that she would rather watch everyone else. Cordelia and Angel had, thankfully, chose to leave her be for the rest of the night, and Buffy was beginning to wonder if they hadn’t scampered off somewhere to make out in a nearby broom closet like most school days.

Just then, Anya, Xander’s date, decided to try and make conversation with the weary blonde standing by herself.

“Hello, I’m Anya Christina Emanuella Jerkins, Xander’s supposed date for tonight. I was wondering if you knew where he was. You see, I was hoping that we’d be able to get the lame ass dancing over with and get straight to the many, many orgasms that he promised to deliver.” She said cheerfully, not at all aware of how blunt she was being.

Buffy blushed a deep scarlet at the taller blonde in the red dress. No one she ever talked to before had ever said anything like Anya was saying now. At almost fifteen years old, Buffy Summers had never heard the word ‘orgasm’ outside of sex education class, and was surprised when she heard the older girl mention it.

Anya was a bubbly seventeen year old girl who had an instant reputation for being promiscuous when she transferred to Sunnydale High two months ago. People always talked about how she was never too afraid to say exactly what was on her mind at that very moment. No matter how inappropriate it may be.

Everyone was surprised when Xander told them that he had asked the junior to homecoming, and even more amazed when he told them that she had said yes. Anya was two years older than him and never associated with their close-knit circle of friends before. This was actually the first time she had ever spoken to Buffy since her first day of class.

“Oh, w-well, he and my date, William were running a little late. They should be here soon.” Buffy informed her, feeling very uncomfortable.

“Oh, well, thank you very much for your help. You’ve been very informative. We should hang out sometime.” She said, giving Buffy a friendly smile.

Buffy smiled back pleasantly. “Sure. That would be really cool. I’m Buffy, by the way.” She held out her hand to the other girl.

Anya shook her hand softly, smiling. “Nice to meet you, Buffy. Call me tomorrow and we’ll meet up and trade stories about the amazing orgasms we’re sure to receive tonight. It’ll be fun.”

With that she walked away, leaving an astounded Buffy to stare after her curiously.

~*~*~*~*~

When the door to the gym opened for nearly the hundredth time that night, Xander and William slowly made their way into the dancing area, eyes searching the crowds for some familiar faces. Xander’s dark chocolate brown eyes found Anya and he yelled to the man beside him that he was going to go dance, over the loud music. William only nodded slightly as the other man walked off, blue eyes focused entirely on the tiny blonde he had spotted near the punch table.

She was a vision, sexy and innocent all in the same breath. Her perfect figure was encased in a soft pink wrap dress that was made of a thick material and clung to every curve and dip of her body. It was strapless and William nearly stopped breathing when he thought about what exactly was holding the dress up on her body. The bottom was loose, compared to the top half, and fell freely from her the tops of her thighs to the bottoms of her thin ankles. Simple white pumps adorned her feet, and she bounced on them impatiently, as she swung her arms from side to side in a mock-dance of annoyance.

Her long blond hair was swept up in a perfect French twist, leaving her neck vulnerable to his hungry eyes. Little stray wisps of hair that had escaped the confines of the thin Bobbie pins framed her sun-kissed face. William’s mother’s necklace hung beautifully around her long neck. Her lovely hazel eyes swept the room in a hurry, seemingly searching for something or someone. Probably him.

‘Bloody ‘ell.’ He thought, smiling inwardly.

He walked deliberately as slow as possible, milking this moment for all it was worth. He moved around the hordes of dancing couples carefully, navigating his way toward her without ever taking his eyes off of his date.

She still hadn’t noticed his arrival yet and he was approaching her awfully quick.

Clutching the rose in his right hand, he stopped in front of her. Her back was facing him, and she was watching Willow and Tara dance, in, what he thought was a very strange fashion. “Why aren’t you dancing, luv?”

She jumped at his voice and whirled around suddenly. Buffy’s mouth went dry at the sight that greeted her.

An extremely hot guy was standing expectantly in front her, smiling the sexiest smile she had ever seen in all her fourteen and a half years of existence. She stared at him wonderingly, her arms hung loosely at her side, not knowing what to do with them. He was dressed from head to toe in, what looked like a very expensive knock-off of an Armani suit, with a light blue button up dress shirt underneath, a simple black tie hung from a loose fitting knot around his neck.

He was absolutely gorgeous, and had high cheekbones that were well defined and made him look like a model. His hair was bleached to a platinum shade of blonde, and his clear blue eyes were…

‘Wait, blue eyes?’ Buffy thought, realization dawning on her for the first time.

“William!?” She gasped, clutching her chest in surprise. Her hazel eyes went wide and her mouth hung open slightly as she stared at her best friend.

His cerulean orbs lit up mischievously, and he let out a small chuckle, his full lips forming a smile. “Yeah, pet, it’s me.” He said.

“Ohmigod.” She whispered, raising the hand that was on her chest to her mouth in an attempt to hold back her exclamations.

“Do you like it?” He asked anxiously.

“Where are your glasses?” She wondered, pulling her hand away from her mouth to speak.

“Got rid of ‘em. Hate the bloody things. Contacts are much easier.” He lied about that last part. The contacts were a bleedin’ piss to get in and take out, but he was willing to put up with them, if it meant that Buffy would notice him.

“You’re eyes are so blue.” She admired, smiling thoughtfully. “I didn’t realize it ‘til now, but they really are. The most beautiful shade of blue I’ve ever seen.”

William beamed from ear to ear at her words. “So you like it, then?” He inquired.

“Absolutely. You look so se-” She stopped herself abruptly, realizing that she nearly called him sexy to his face. ‘His very sexy face.’ “Good. You look good.” She amended herself, hoping he didn’t notice her slip up.

“I love the hair.” She continued, gesturing with her hands at her own hair. “It’s so different. In a good way.”

William all of a sudden remembered the red rose he was clutching in an almost painfully tight grip. He looked down at it and held it out to her. “For you.”

She smiled when she saw it, and took it from his hands, fingertips accidentally brushing against his. A chill ran up and down her spine, and she had to refrain herself from shivering in front of him. She closed her eyes and lifted the rose to her nose, inhaling deeply. The fresh smell of the flower filled her senses. “Thank you.”

“Your welcome.” He replied, hands back down at his sides. “So, I’ll ask you again, why aren’t you dancing?”

She smiled, and shrugged. “’Cause no one’s asked me yet.” She replied playfully. ‘Am I flirting?’ She wondered.

He flashed her an irresistible grin that made her knees go weak. “Is that right?”

“Yep.” She nodded, popping her ‘p.’ ‘Is he flirting?’

Just then a slow song began to play, and couples all around wrapped their arms around each other and moved to the slow, romantic music.

William said nothing, but held out his hand for Buffy to take. She took it immediately, and smiled dreamily as she was slowly lead out onto the dance floor.

The other couples seemed to make room for the newest addition, and moved out of their way.

Willow and Tara observed the two blondes from their spot along the sidelines, with an awed expression on their faces.

When they reached their destination, he wasted no time in wrapping his arms tightly around her slender waist. Buffy tentatively drew her arms up around his neck and melted into his embrace. The gazed longingly into each others eyes.

~The strands in your eyes that color them wonderful
Stop me and steal my breath
Emeralds from mountains thrust toward the sky
Never revealing their depth~

William held her to him, reveling in the feeling of her soft body molded so perfectly against his. “You look beautiful tonight, Buffy.” He whispered softly into her ear.

She didn’t say anything, still smiling. She held onto him tightly, and resisted the urge to lay her head down on his shoulder. Keeping her eyes locked with his, she let the soft chords wash over her and guide their movement.

~And tell me that we belong together
Dress it up with the trappings of love~

William tightened his hold on her tiny body, as if he was afraid she might disappear. God, he truly hoped that she felt the same thing he was feeling at that moment. That they should be together.

~I'll be captivated
I'll hang from your lips
Instead of the gallows of heartache, that hang from above~

Buffy finally gave into the urge to rest her head on his shoulder. He laid his chin atop of her golden tresses. They continued to dance as the chorus played.

~And I'll be your crying shoulder
I'll be love suicide
And I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life~

Cordelia watched, seething with envy at the dancing couple from her viewing point on the top bleacher, next to a very drunk Angel. Who knew that underneath those incredibly dorky glasses and all those layers of tweed, William Giles was unbelievably hot?

~Rain falls angry on the tin roof
As we lie awake in my bed
You're my survival, you're my living proof
My love is alive not dead~

Buffy and William carried on with the slow melody of the song, oblivious to everyone else in the world.

~And tell me that we belong together
Dress it up with the trappings of love~

She lifted her head off his shoulder and met his eyes. Liquid-y pools of azure blue. She couldn’t believe that she spent almost nine years with him and never realized how blue his eyes were. They were so beautiful…

He watched her stare thoughtfully at him and wondered what she was thinking about. He broke the locked gaze as his eyes drifted slowly down to her full lips. They were painted a appealing shade of princess pink and her strawberry lip gloss added a glittery luster to them that made them shine in the colored lights overhead. They looked so soft. He wanted to kiss her then.

~I'll be captivated
I'll hang from your lips
Instead of the gallows of heartache, that hang from above~

“Buffy…” He whispered, his voice changing to a huskier tone. One that he never heard himself speak in before.

~And I'll be your crying shoulder
I'll be love suicide
And I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life~

She blinked several times in order to clear her vision as tears started to come forth. It had been along time since she had been truly happy. Since before her parents started fighting every night. The wonderful emotions churning inside her sent tremors through her whole body.

~Well, I've been dropped out, I burned up,
I fought my way back from the dead~

William felt her body shake slightly, and it pulled him out of the trance he had been in. Looking back into her eyes, he silently asked what was wrong. She just shook her head and leaned in closer to press her cheek against his, as they swayed in a circular motion.

~Tuned in, turned on,
Remembered the things that you said~

She hid her face from his view so he wouldn’t see her tears. Her soft cheek was moved slightly with their feet, rubbing against his intimately. Sliding her arms more firmly around his neck she let her fingertips sift through the soft curls at the nape of his neck.

~And I'll be your crying shoulder
I'll be love suicide
And I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life~

William held his best friend in his arms as tightly as she would allow, vowing to never let her go. He began to wonder if he was falling in love with her. And prayed that she felt the same way about him…

~And I'll be your crying shoulder
I'll be love suicide
And I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life~

Cordelia watched as William held Buffy as they swayed to the gentle rhythm humming from the large speakers in the gym of Sunnydale High School. She looked on in disgust as a dreamy school-girl look appeared on Buffy’s face where it lay on William’s shoulder. She decided right then that William Giles would one day be hers.

~The greatest fan of your life…~