The bored sales assistant chewed her sticky piece of grape gum, moving her jaw rhythmically in slow circular motions, as her teeth made squishing sounds noisily. She was the only attendant on duty at the moment, and desperately wanted to take her lunch break. The three women currently sifting through a rack of half-off cashmere sweaters, had been in the store for over an hour and a half and had yet to buy something and the older woman with the huge wad of chewing gum was really on the verge of telling them to either buy something or kindly get the hell out.

“Oh, how ’bout this one?” Harmony asked in a typical valley girl accent, as she held up the soft, red sweater with a small knot on the side.

Cordelia looked up from the small stand covered in black lacy thongs and panties that stood adjacent to the one the cheery blonde was currently entertained with. Flipping her long dark hair behind her shoulders, she let her chocolate brown eyes wash over the deep red color of the sweater Harmony displayed to her.

“Eww, are you kidding me, Harm?” She exclaimed in outrage, a look of pure distaste sweeping across her face.

Harmony looked down at the garment in her hands and surveyed it self-consciously. “What?” she asked, clearly confused as to why her friend did not approve of the item of clothing. She looked up questioningly at Cordelia. “Whatssa matter with it?”

“Well, for one, the color is all wrong.” Cordy informed her, giving the bubbly blonde her full attention as she took two steps towards her, hands placed firmly on her hips. “Red is so last season. And It’s marked down for God’s sake. ” She pointed to the parcel.

Harmony seemed to being taking her friend’s advise as she thought it over. After a long pause, she smiled. “Of course it is. I’m pretty sure I read that in the latest issue of Cosmo. It’s just so tacky- leaving it out this time of year.” She gushed as if she had known all along.

“I’m sure you did.” Cordy replied absentmindedly, not really paying any notice to her. She turned to walk towards the front of the shop, where a wall lined with shelves, held various items of accessory.

“Don’t pay no attention to her. She’s just crabby ‘cause Buffy’s flying in today.” Anya told Harmony as she pushed shirt after shirt along the smooth chrome of the bar that suspended the garments from hangers. “I like it. Red’s always in season. And it’s in the half-off section, so you’ll save a fortune, which is always good for the soul.” She reminded the other bleached blonde woman cheerfully, while mentally counting the money she would save if she purchased the item.

Harmony smiled warmly at Anya, and studied the sweater again, as if trying to decide if she still liked it or not. She ran her French manicured fingertips along the neckline seem and surveyed the inner tag to make sure it was her size.

“Harm, Anya, you guys coming or not?” Cordelia called from near the open entrance of the shop that lead out into the large expanse of hallway of the Sunnydale Mall, a hint of annoyance in her voice. Shoppers were walking past her at their own pace, bags clutched tightly in their hands as they window-shopped in a thoughtful manner.

The other women’s eyes snapped up in the direction of Cordelia’s voice. Harmony took one last, longing look at the pretty sweater and looked back to Anya, who was waiting patiently for her friend. “Yeah, right. Like I would buy something as lame as this thing.” She blurted out, irritated. She slammed the hanger back on the rack, sending the shirt in a whirling motion with the force of her action.

Anya watched, confused as she then stormed out after Cordelia, before shrugging and following the other two women to the rest of the mall.

~*~*~*~*~

Willow and Tara laid in their queen size bed with the soft satin sheets draped across their naked bodies, as they cuddled in the aftermath of their intense lovemaking. Willow’s head rested heavily on the puffy cotton pillow beneath her, her vibrant red hair fanning about her head in a halo of thick scarlet locks. Her arm was thrown casually around Tara’s shoulder, while the other woman laid her blonde head atop Willow’s chest. Tara’s hair scattered in a few directions as her head rose and fell with the steady movement of Willow’s breathing.

“So, now that Buffy’s back, you think Spike will call off the wedding?” Tara wondered, trailing her fingers over the smooth skin between Willow’s breasts absentmindedly.

The redhead kept her green eyes locked in her gaze of the smooth dry-wall of the ceiling, mentally inspecting it for cracks. She let out a deep breath, one that lifted the weight of Tara’s body a few inches in the air, and sighed. “I actually have no idea. I mean, Spike? Not so much with the calling off long-term relationships because of a few complications.”

“Yeah, but he loved Buffy.” Tara countered, pushing a few strains of hair away from her face before they tangled in her dark eye lashes.

“If only it were that simple.” Willow responded, feeling very much like the fun-sucker in this whole conversation.

“But it’s Buffy!” The blonde exclaimed, like it was the most obvious thing in the world. She lifted her head to look at her girlfriend.

Willow smiled lovingly, reaching a hand behind Tara’s head to glide through her polished locks in a calming motion. “I don’t want to sound like the person who wants to rain on your parade, but I think I’ll point out the fact that it’s been over two years since Spike has seen Buffy, let alone talked to her. Maybe he’s over her.” She reasoned.

“And do you honestly believe that Spike is over her?” Tara questioned, skeptically as she narrowed her light green eyes in scrutiny.

“I really couldn’t say. You didn’t see him when he got back from New York. He was just so…broken.” She said frowning deeply from the hurt that he two best friends had to endure.

“Well, maybe the whole thing’ll turn out to be a sham. Maybe Spike’ll come to his senses, call the whole thing off, and go back with Buffy.” Tara rationalized, always the hopeless romantic.

Willow crossed her fingers and held them in front of her face for Tara to see. “Here’s hoping.” She giggled, wrapping her arms around Tara’s neck and rolling them over so she was on top.

~*~*~*~*~

Spike showed Buffy to his old room and offered to help her unpack. They had settled into a comfortable silence a few moments after the initial shock of seeing each other in years had finally subsided and were now finding it easier to just ‘be.’

Buffy followed Spike into the spacious room and gazed around. Not much had changed since the last time she had been in here. The walls were still painted in a clean-looking white color and the plush carpet was still a deep navy blue, with tiny specks of brown and green scattered throughout the layers. Two windows, standard sized, and adjacent to each other were covered in black curtains that let the bright sunlight stream into the room, where it settled on the bed and floor. A single queen size bed stood in the middle of the room, headboard pushed back flush against one of the walls. Four king size pillows lined the top half of the thick mattress and the bottom half was hidden from view on account of the bulky quilted blanket, folded in half and draped along the bed neatly. An cheap oak dresser lined the other walls and held a few old items that belonged to Jenny. Gone were the old posters of punk bands that once adorned the walls, and in their place were simple pictures in elegant frames.

Buffy moved closer to one in particular hanging on a thin nail above the dresser, that caught her interest. It was one of her and Spike at the homecoming dance four years ago. It was taken by Tara that magical night right after they had finished dancing to a slow song. Spike had looked so yummy in his tux and newly bleached hair, and Buffy couldn’t help but smile at the thought. She was dressed up in her soft pink wrap dress that brought out her newly acquired tan from her summer vacation at the beach. Her head was rested comfortably on Spike’s chest, her arms looped around his neck while his laid along her thin waist. Both had contented smiles on their young faces.

Spike watched as she let her fingers dance along the smooth glass of the frame and smiled at the sight. She was so beautiful just standing there, reminiscing about the good times between them. He remembered the night the picture was taken. Homecoming was one of the most magical nights that they had ever shared. He recalled the way that she looked that night with a smirk. Remembering her beautiful eyes and breathtaking smile as they danced in slow movements, clinging to each other for dead life.

She pulled her hand away slowly and turned around to face him.

Grasping the handles of her heavy luggage, he trudged toward the bed and dropped the load onto it’s firm mattress. Moving to the side so she could pulled the zipper around on it’s small track and flip open the lid, revealing massive amounts of clothing, he kept his blue eyes locked on her small form.

“I hope this is okay. It’s the only room that isn’t taken.” He explained, gesturing with his hands.

She looked up at him, listening as she sorted her clothes.

“I’m in da’ and Jenny’s old room. Dad’ll be flying in from London in a coupla days, and Peaches’ old room is full of boxes.” He went on to say, watching her every movement as she carried a pile of shirts over to the dresser and placed them neatly in the first drawer, leaving it open as she returned to her spot in front bed. “It’s fine.” She told him, smiling a bright smile.

“Need some help?” He asked, gesturing to the suitcase full of clothing with a slight nod.

“Sure.”

They settled into the familiar pace as they concentrated on finding a proper place for all of Buffy’s things, talking all the while. They discussed the way things had changed in Sunnydale since Buffy had last been home, and about how beautiful and bigger everything was in New York. How Giles had decided to return to England when Spike graduated, leaving the house to him to stay in while he finished his schooling at USC. How Angel had stayed out east with his biological father and met the love of his life, Darla who was due with their first child in September. Apparently she had turned Angel’s life completely around, making him change his rebellious ways to get ready for the arrival of their son. Spike said he was still the same old prick though…

“Some things never change.” Buffy said laughing. She turned to hang some things up in the closet, as Spike’s fingers caught on an article of clothing at the bottom of the suitcase. Pulling his hand out, he stared, fascinated at the little black satin panties with lace trim that hung on the middle finger of his left hand. His mouth hung open slightly as he imagined the thin garment on the blonde women in front of him, hardening considerably at the naughty images that floated around his lust altered brain.

“Some things do.” He commented, his accent becoming thicker as he remembered the white cotton panties that she had favored three years ago. He willed his erection to go away to no avail.

Buffy turned around, ready to grab another handful of hangers, when she saw what he was holding in his hands. Her hazel eyes went wide and she just stared at him staring at her panties. The color drained from her face, and her smile faded into a look of total embarrassment. A spark of arousal shot through her body at the look of pure desire on his face. Shaking her head to clear her mind, she reached out and hurriedly snatched the garment from his fingertips, blushing furiously. “Hey!”

He looked up at her suddenly movement, ready to apologize for his stupidity when she cut him off.

“Those don’t belong to you! O-obviously. I-I mean unless you developed some weird fetish in which you like to wear women’s underwear.” Buffy babbled, flustered.

Spike smirked mischievously, all thoughts of apologizing leaving his brain as a better idea popped into his mind. “Fantasize about me getting into your panties, do you, pet?” He asked smugly, grinning from ear to ear.

Buffy’s eyes went wide once again. “What!?” She exclaimed. “O-of course not!” Jeez, he must think I’m a total ditz!

He chuckled at her obvious discomfort. “Relax, pet. I was only joking.” He clarified, amused.

“Oh! R-right, joking. Making with the funny.” She stammered, stuffing the panties hastily in the bottom drawer on the dresser, and away from his hungry eyes.

There was an awkward moment of silence as the tension rose between them. Spike was the first to speak.

“So, um, how’s NYU?”

Buffy sighed, grateful for the change of topic. “Not what I expected in the least.”

“That rough, huh?” Spike speculated, handing her the last of the clothing to hang in the closet.

Buffy hung the clothes in their rightful place in the small closet and turned back to look at his face. “No, not rough, just…different. A world of change.” She told him. “I was overwhelmed the first few weeks.” She confessed.

“Oh, I know what you mean.” He sympathized with her. “I was going out of my bloody mind the whole first quarter.” He says, laughing good-naturedly.

“Really? You? The total embodiment of all things bookish and everything tweed-loving, were overwhelmed?” She said in surprise, joking lightly. “Now that’s something I’d almost like to see.”

“Not my finest moment, I’ll give you, but I got back on the bleedin’ right track and so forth.” He told her, enjoying their light banter immensely.

They both chuckled.

“So, how’s the gang?” Buffy wondered, finding a comfortable spot on the bed to sit. “They going to USC too?”

He breathed deep, letting it out as he took a seat next to the blonde on his old bed, hands in his lap. “Sure. They’re all really good. Xander finally made it out of his parents’ basement, and into a dorm.” He chuckled, and she laughed along with him, remembering the dark-haired boy that befriended her when they were both still in diapers.

“He’s actually majoring in psychology.” Spike went on to tell her, sounding very much like a proud best friend. “He wants to be a marriage therapist.”

“Guess seeing his parents fighting all the time finally made a positive impression on him.” Buffy pondered, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth to tug at it gently.

Spike’s attention was immediately drawn to her luscious mouth as he recalled himself doing the same thing three years ago. “Well, uh, Anya’s an accounting major.” He continued, trying to shake himself from his thoughts.

“She always did lover her money.” Buffy mused, a tiny laugh escaping her mouth, as she listened to him.

Spike chuckled. “Yeah, imagine how bug-shaggin’ crazy she went when she found out there was a job dealing entirely with counting it. She was bloody thrilled to no end.”

“I bet.” Buffy replied quietly, remembering that she wasn’t there to witness said event.

Spike didn’t seem to notice her uneasiness, and continued to address her earlier question. “Tara’s into women’s studies, and Willow’s studying physics…and she’s gay.”

Buffy looked up at him. “Yeah, I heard ‘bout that.” She told him, not knowing how to feel about the sudden changes in her friends’ behavior. “Wills and Tara, huh? That’s a new development.”

“Yeah, took me by surprise too.” The bleach blonde confessed.

“So what about you?” She asked suddenly, wanting to know every change in his life that she had unwillingly missed. “I hear you’re an English major.”

“You too.” He commented, smiling warmly at her.

“Yeah, well, I was surprisingly inspired by a certain young English poet.” She said pointed, leaning a little towards him, smiling sweetly.

“Wait a bloody minute!” He exclaimed, putting his hands up in mock surrender. “I inspired you?!” He asked, incredulously, blue eyes going wide in wonderment.

“‘Course. Those poems you wrote for me were amazing.” Sincerity laced her voice and he could tell that she meant it.

“Amazing? You really mean that?” He asked, still unsure. His inner William was shining forth in a moment of uncertainty.

Buffy smiled. “Yeah, I do.”

A meaningful look passed between them and they shared a moment.

Spike blinked then, and it was over as quickly as it had started. “So how’s solider boy? Didn’t he wanna come and gloat?”

As soon as the question left his mouth he regretted it.

A hurt look passed momentarily over Buffy’s hazel eyes before she answered. “How do you know about Riley?” She asked surprised.

Spike’s eyes went wide for a moment and he struggled with his words. “W-Willow must have mentioned it at one time or ‘nother.” He stammered with as much of a nonchalant shrug that he could muster, praying that she bought it.

Buffy frowned in confusion, but said nothing.

Then, finally, “We broke up.” She informed him, sadly.

He wasn’t sure if it was because she felt bad that he knew she had moved on or because she missed Riley.

“That is if you can call what we had a relationship.” She breathed, running her hands through her blonde hair. “It never was really relationship-y, ya know?”

This comment thrilled Spike to no end.

“God, what made you think of him?” She asked, shocked, as she met his stare. “He and I haven’t even seen each other since before he left for boot camp.”

“Oh, I was just wondering really.” He said a little too quickly. “Didn’t know you two broke up, is all.”

“Yeah, I wasn’t exactly ready for what he wanted.” She admitted to her best friend. God, how I wish he was more than that… she thought.

“Oh?” Spike posed, raising his scarred eyebrow. “And what was it that he wanted from you, ducks?” He was almost afraid to hear the answer. If that ponce pressured her into having sex with him, I’ll hunt his Captain America ass down and beat some sense into him. He thought.

Buffy looked away for a moment before returning her gaze to his questioning one. She bit her lip again in nervousness.

“He wanted me, to um, love him.” She told him, the ‘L’ word rolling over her tongue in sharp distaste.

Oh, that luscious lip…He thought hungrily.

Spike was taken aback by this statement. She didn’t love white bread? “And you didn’t?”

“Not when I still loved you.” She replied in a tiny voice, almost to soft to hear. She didn’t meet his eyes, but rather remained quite occupied with fingering the loose threads of the quilt. Spike said nothing, but just watched the emotions play across her beautiful face. He silently wondered if she still loved him.

The way that he did her.

Please Review