Chapter Two- New Neighbors

13 years ago, Sunnydale:

Soon-to-be six year-old Buffy Summers sat quietly on the steps of her front porch on Revello Drive. The little pink stuffed pig she held in her tiny hands flew up in the air as she launched it as hard as she could. When gravity brought it crashing down to the earth again, those same hands caught it.

She was so bored. Not only were her friends all out of town visiting relatives, but there was absolutely no one else on her block that was her age. She really hoped Willow and Xander would be back in time for her sixth birthday next week. They had promised to come and bring lots of presents. She couldn’t wait to turn six and finally become a ‘big girl’. She didn’t want to be a baby anymore. That was what her new baby sister was going to be for when she was born. She was going to be the big sister, now.

Up. Down. Up. Down. Mr. Grodo went, Buffy catching him every time. God, she wished for somebody to play with.

Suddenly a black car pulled in the driveway next door. She looked up at the sound of an engine turning off. It must be the new neighbors. Buffy had forgotten that the house had been sold. Her mommy had told her that the other day. Something about the Gills or Guyels family moving here from England so their daddy could become a professor at Sunnydale U. She wondered if the new neighbors’ kids were her age so they could play. She should ask.

As Buffy stood and made her way over to the car, she watched as a tall, older man dressed in tweed got out of the driver’s seat and a dark haired woman rose from the passenger’s side. The two were followed by two young boys. They must be brothers.

One was tall and had dark brown hair that was short and stood on end. He was tall and gorgeous, who had soulful brown eyes, an amazing smile, and quite possibly the most angelic face she’d ever seen. Buffy was in love!

The other, much shorter boy, had poofy, brown hair and big, thick glasses, that seemed to gobble up his face, and he had to constantly readjust them on the bridge of his nose to keep them from falling off. He was a thin, frail looking boy that looked younger than the other boy and wasn’t at all as cute as him either.

The two adults made their way inside and the boys lingered behind. Buffy approached them quietly.

“Hi.” She said cheerfully. “I’m Buffy. I live next door. I’m gonna be six next week.” She smiled brightly, keeping her gaze fixed on the darker haired boy.

“That’s nice. I’m Liam. I’m eight but I’ll be nine in two months.” The boy smiled sweetly.

Wow, he was eight! Her breath hitched in her chest, and she really wasn’t sure she was breathing at all. He even looked better up close and Buffy found it hard to breathe. She swallowed the lump that had formed in her throat, and smiled back at him.

“This is my little brother William. He’s only seven. Say hi Will.” He ordered, turning and pointing to his brother as he spoke.

“Hello, Buffy.” He said, turning to face Buffy. When he saw her he smiled. She was kinda cute.

Buffy smiled at him. She noticed that William had an accent, but Liam didn’t. A girl she used to go to school with had a sister that talked different and she had told Buffy that was because they had different dads. William and Liam must have different dads too. She thought. She was pulled out of her thoughts by Liam’s voice.

“We just moved here from England. My mom got married to Will’s dad. He’s British. That’s why he talks so funny.” He told the little girl in front of him, proudly, puffing out his chest. He was almost nine, so that made him like three years older than her, which meant he was probably smarter.

“My da don’t talk funny, you wanker.” William yelled at his brother, embarrassed.

“Yes, he does, and so do you. And I’m tellin’ mom you called me a wanker.” Liam told him, getting angry.


Buffy watched the two boys argue, feeling slightly out of place. She found it rather funny the way that silly William kept using words she didn’t understand and had never heard of until now. Something about a bloody poof, and peaches, although she wasn’t sure why he would call Liam a peach. He didn’t look like a peach to her.

She thought about asking him what the words meant, but figured that Liam might think she was a baby or something. So she remained silent, listening to the banters being thrown back and forth until the older man she saw go into the house earlier returned and scolded the boys for their behavior. Then they had to go inside to eat dinner.

Buffy bounced back over to her house to tell her mommy about the new friends she had made and ask if she could invite them to her party. She really liked Liam, and William wasn’t so bad either she guessed.

~*~*~*~

A week passed and Buffy was not feeling so bored anymore without Willow and Xander around. She and Will became instant friends and played together everyday. Buffy told Will all about how her mommy was going to have another baby and that she would be the one to take care of her since she would be the big sister. Will told Buffy about England and how his real mommy died when he was a baby and that his daddy married Jenny now.

Although Liam said he was Buffy’s friend, he never really wanted to hang out with her and Will, being he was a manly eight year-old. He would spend most days with some girl down the street that Buffy assumed was his girlfriend. Her name was Drusilla and she was the same age as Liam was. Buffy had only met her once, but she didn’t like her that much. She was always talking about the stars and having tea parties with her dolls. Plus, anyone that was Liam’s girlfriend wasn’t very high on her list of best friends.

Will knew Buffy liked his brother and he thought she was silly. Liam was a great big poof, how could she like him! Not like he cared really, he would never have a girlfriend. Girls had cooties and liked to play with Barbies and girly stuff like that. But Buffy was ok, though. Sure, she liked Barbies, but she also liked to play stuff that he liked too. She reminded him more of a boy than a girl, but she was his friend, so she was ok.

When Buffy’s birthday finally came, she was so happy. Willow and Xander were both able to come and so were a few of her other friends from school. Even Will and Liam came, much to Liam’s dismay. Buffy was just some little girl who lived next door to him that liked to follow him around like some kind of groupie. It was rather annoying at times.

The party went along great and Buffy got lots of presents. Willow bought her a new Barbie, at which Will snorted at. Buffy just slapped him on his head and went back to opening gifts. Xander gave her a really pretty new dress to wear when school started again. It was pink with little white flowers on it, Buffy loved it. Liam bought her a hair bow set to do up her long blonde hair in. Buffy smiled shyly at him and said “Thank you.”

The last present she opened was from Will. It was a square box about a foot high wrapped in a shiny pink wrapping paper. Buffy ripped it open eagerly, a huge smile on her face. Once she got the box open she looked inside to find a little pink stuffed pig with a small tag around it’s neck that read ‘Mrs. Gordo’.

Buffy squealed in delight and threw her arms around Will. “Thank you so much, Will. I love it. It‘s the best birthday present ever!”

Will just smiled back and wrapped his skinny arms around the girl that was his new best friend. “You’re welcome, Buffy. I’m glad you like it.”

Buffy pulled away and Will was a little surprised when she planted a kiss on his cheek. A rosey pink creped up his face and all he could do was smile back. He could tell they were going to be friends for a long time.

________________________________________________________________________