Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it's been so long. My muse up and died on me a while back. But, I'm determined to finish this fic if it takes forever, which, by the way, I really hope it doesn't... Please Review! Next chapter should be posted by the 1st!
Chapter 27: New York, New York

New York, 2 ½ years ago:

The hardwood door swung open suddenly, startling Spike, and knocking him out of his nervous thoughts. He had been so lost in his thoughts of Sunnydale, Buffy, and of their last night together, that he never noticed the strange looks he was receiving from several students as they pasted him slowly. He bowed his head almost shyly, reaching up to scratch the back of his neck gently, embarrassed, as he realized that they had probably also overheard him talking to himself. What a great way to make a first impression on your girlfriend’s potential friends.

Raising his eyes slowly, expecting to see his beautiful golden goddess, Spike was surprised to find instead, a lengthy brunette woman, with deep chocolate brown eyes hidden behind black framed glasses. She wasn’t that tall, about his height, and had a warm, friendly smile that set Spike’s restless mind somewhat at ease.

He had debated coming to New York for months now, before he actually gained the courage to bring himself to buy the plane ticket and find his girl. He was sure when his father found out that he’d dipped into his college fund to pay for the trip, the older man would be extremely livid, but right now Spike couldn’t care less. What was the use of going to college if he it didn’t make him happy? And the one thing that could make him happy was in New York.

His Buffy.

The only problem was, Spike still wasn’t sure that he had made the right decision in coming here. Maybe after all this time, Buffy had moved on with her life? What if she had realized that being here, away from him, was the best thing for her? Could he make her remember how very much in love they were? And if not, could he make himself get over her?

His heart was thumping loudly in his chest, and Spike was absolutely sure it would burst forth any moment. Maybe it wasn’t too late to just turn around and hop the next flight back to Sunnydale. Sure, the young woman now staring at him expectantly would be deeply confused, but she’d get over it, figure he was just another drunk co-ed trying to find his own dorm room.

Spike sighed. God, how he wished the floor would open up and swallow him now. He had a life back in Sunnydale. He could go back just the same, and no one would think any less of him for making the trip here, for trying. He could go back to his everyday routine, hanging out with the gang, helping his dad around the house, starting college in the fall…

Yeah, he could go back. But not before he was sure. He had to know. And if she didn’t love him anymore, if she wouldn’t receive him the way he hoped she would, then he would go. Go back to his life in Sunnydale, get a job to help replace the cash for school, maybe find himself someone else-at least to help drown the pain. But at least then he could be sure.

Focusing his attention back on the skinny brunette in front of him, he waited for her to speak.

“Oh, uh…hi. You’re not who I was expecting.” She frowned, confused. “Obviously. But you’re here, so I’m guessin’ I must know you from somewhere. Though for the life of me, I can’t say where.”

Spike almost laughed out loud at the young woman’s babbling, but then thought better of it. It wouldn’t do good to immediately get on the bad side of Buffy’s roommate, and friend. He at once recognized a slight southern drawl in the dark-haired girl’s voice. Probably from somewhere near Texas, he wagered.

“Actually, no, pet. You don’t know me.” Spike smiled, amused by this girl’s rambling. It was almost as cute as his Buffy’s. “I’m lookin’ for Buffy Summers. Was told this was ‘er room, yeah?”

The girl smiled and nodded, the confusion finally leaving her pretty face. “Oh, yepers. You’re at the right door. I’m Fred, by the way- Buffy’s roommate.”

“‘T’s nice to meet you.” Spike said, offering her his hand. She accepted it with a another friendly smile, and shook it softly. “I’m Spike.” The blonde man watched as Fred’s large brown eyes widened even bigger and a look of over excitement swept across her face.

“Oh. OH!” She said. “You’re Spike, Spike? As in Sunnydale Spike?”

He nodded.

“Oh, well, that was prob’ly a stupid question. ‘Course you’re the Spike. How many Spikes can their be in the world?” She wonder aloud, now looking slightly flustered.

“Not many, I s’pose.” Spike answered her, chuckling softly. “So you’ve ‘eard of me, then?” He questioned hopefully.

“You betcha.” Fred nodded enthusiastically. “Buffy just goes on and on about y’all back in Sunnydale.”

Spike let a huge grin spread across his handsome face. “She does, now does she? Well, it’s nice to know she hasn’t forgotten about me yet.”

Fred chuckled lightly. “Heck, no. She loves y’all back home.”

“Listen, is Buffy here by chance? There’s something I really need to talk to ‘er about.” He asked, standing up straighter in an attempt to see over Fred’s shoulder into the small dorm room. Not seeing the blonde in question, he frowned, but then smiled again when he saw the cute little stuffed pigs on her bed.

“Oh, no. She’s kinda not here right now. Big party down at Lowell House. I was supposed to meet her there after my study session. We were the only high schoolers invited.” She said excitedly.

Spike frowned again when he remembered that this was a college dormitory, and
Buffy was only a senior in high school. “So, she stays here on campus then? She’s still in high school.”

“Oh, it’s a special program for gifted students to get a head start on college course work.” Fred informed him, as she bounced nervously on the balls of her feet.

“Gifted?”

“Oh, you didn’t know?” She asked, surprised, and Spike frowned when he realized how much of Buffy’s new life he did not know about anymore. “She has one of the highest GPA’s in our class. Second only to me.” She smiled proudly.

Spike smiled too. His girl was a smart cookie. He always knew she had it in her. Sure, she had maintained at least a B average back in SunnyD, but this was just excellent. She could get into any college in the country that she wanted too. Maybe even a few out of the country. He felt an overwhelming sense of pride wash over him and he knew he had made the right choice in coming here.

“I could take you to the party, if you’d like?” She offered, stepping out of the door completely and closing it behind her. “It’s really not that far from here. I’m sure she’ll be very happy to see you.”

“I hope so.”

~*~*~*~

By the time the two reached Lowell House, the party was in full swing. Hoards of drunk co-eds were gathered into the rather large dormitory. Some were dancing, while others sat in corners making out or doing more shots. Spike noticed a few a small group of people sitting around in a circle playing spin-the-bottle by the old fire place. He laughed at these people. Who the bleedin’ hell plays spin-the-bottle after you’re sixteen?

“This way.” Fred instructed, pointing to a group of people near the opposite side of the room. Spike followed closely behind as she lead him over to a tall, football type with dark hair. He as kinda bulky and reminded Spike of Angel. The blonde man inwardly laughed at this.

“Hey guys.” Fred smiled politely, waving shyly at them. “You wouldn’t happen to know where Buffy’s run off to, would ya?”

The Angel look-a-like, chuckled loudly, obviously slightly tipsy. “Oh, she’s around. Just saw her out there dancin’ with Rochelle and Candy. Riley’s been sniffin’ around her all night though. That guy is such a loser.” The other guys all laughed at that, evidently in on some exclusive secret that Spike had no idea about.

“Riley?” He wondered aloud, brows furrowing in confusion.

‘Angel’ looked up at him, finally noticing that he was there, and frowned. “Who’s your friend, Fred?”

Fred smiled nervously. “Oh, he’s-”

“An old friend from back home in uh…uh…Whatcha-ma-call-it, Texas.” Spike cut in, lying lamely. He reached up to scratch at the back of his neck, noticing the look Fred shot him. One that looked like it screamed ‘you idiot!’

‘Angel’ laughed, raising his beer in the air, and nodding at Spike approvingly. “Oh, cool man. I think my cousin’s best friend’s ex-girlfriend’s from there.”

Spike raised an eyebrow in Fred’s direction, clearly amused at this guy’s-either stupidity or drunkenness, and chuckled. “Yeah, ‘t’s a great place.”

‘Angel’ nodded, smiling. “Oh, definitely. Though, I seem to remember it being full of Amish people.”

Spike had to fight to keep the laughter from bubbling over from his chest. The drunk Angel look-a-like continued to make an ass out of himself.

“Hey, you’re not Amish, are you?” He asked Spike, who shook his blonde head. “‘Cause my sister’s boyfriend ran into this Amish person one time, and he was all ‘Hey, I’m Amish, I get to ride in a buggy and pick corn’, and my sister’s boyfriend was all ‘Yeah, well I get to drive a car and like have sex and stuff’. Man, it was crazy!”

“Sure sounds like it.” Spike forced the words off, holding off a laugh. Fred elbowed him in his arm to get his attention and he turned to look at her. She raised a perfectly shaped brow at him expectantly. “Oh…right.” He agreed, turning back to the drunk guys in front of him. “Who’s Riley?”

“Oh, he’s a sophomore here at NYU. T.A. and all around corn fed boy from Utah or Oregon or something.” ‘Angel’ said, waving his hands about, almost spilling his beer on Spike.

“You mean Iowa, Parker?” Fred interjected, cracking an amused smile. So ‘Angel’ had a named, ey? Parker was a pretty poncy name if you ask me…

“Yeah, that’s it!” Parker exclaimed, pointing at her enthusiastically. “You know, you’re so smart, Fred. You’re awesome!”

“Thanks, Parker.” She shrugged.

“Look at her, guys. She’s just full of awesome-ness!” Parker went on.

“That’s enough, Parker.” She told him sternly.

“Oh, right. That’s cool.” He replied, focusing back on Spike. “Anyway, he’s from Iowa, and every professor’s wet dream. Wants to be a teacher or some stupid shit like that.”

“Right, cause that’s just ridiculous, mate. Why the hell would anybody wanna be something poncy like a teacher when there's jobs like professional football, right?” Spike said, voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Exactly!” Parker again raised his glass in salute, too drunk to realize that the other man was having fun at his expense. “So Riley here, and going to class and stuff, and he meets our Buffy.”

“Our Buffy?” Spike asked, jealously running hot through his veins. Fred smiled at his words. He was just the cutest thing-all jealous and stuff.

But Parker ignored him, and continued. “Well, to put a long story short, Riley now fancies himself in love with Buffy. Follows her around where ever the hell she goes, always trying to get her to talk to him, or go out with him, or study with him. He’s such a loser. He’s never gonna get any. That girl’s like got a pad lock on her knees or something. Somebody should really buy him a hooker.”

Spike almost flipped when he heard the way Parker talked about Buffy’s innocence. For crying out loud, she’d only ever had sex once…he hoped. Oh, God, what if she’s had it more than once? Would she sleep with somebody so soon? Spike worried silently, inwardly cursing his wondering brain. No, his Buffy wouldn’t do that. No yet. Not so soon after they’d…

“Hey, maybe Riley’s Amish!” Parker exclaimed, as though he had just discovered a new fact.

Spike turned to Fred, obviously very upset now.

“You okay?” She asked, worriedly.

“I’m fine.” He said, running a shaky hand through his slicked back hair, loosening the curls and tousling his hair style. “Can we just find Buffy and get the hell outta here, pet? I’m beginning to feel nauseas.”

“Sure.” She nodded, concerned. “Parker? You sure you haven’t seen Buffy around?”

Parker stood up straighter and looked over their heads. “Oh, there!”

Both Fred and Spike spun around simultaneously, eyes searching for a little blonde with bright green eyes. Spike was the first to spot her.

“Who the bleedin’ hell’s that lunk-head all over her?” He questioned, hands balling into fists, at the image before him. There was his beautiful golden goddess, dancing wildly in the arms of another man.

Fred’s eyes locked onto the man holding Buffy close, widening slightly, and a nervous look swept across her face as she looked up at Spike.

“That’s Riley.”