“Cordelia!” Dawn shrieked, eyes almost bulging out of their sockets.

“Yes for the hundredth time. Cordelia. It said, ‘You are invited to the wedding of Mr. William Giles and Cordelia Chase.’” Buffy repeated for the third time to her disbelieving younger sister.

They were sitting in a cafe, sipping iced mochas, while Buffy retold the story of receiving the invitation the previous day. She could understand why Dawn didn’t believe it, she, herself, was still reeling from the news that her very best friend in the whole world was getting married, and to the girl she had hated the most in high school, no less. To say that Buffy was a little ‘out of it’ would be an understatement.

“I’m sorry, it’s just, well...Cordelia? How? Why? I mean, you said that they barely spoke to each other in high school.” The younger summers sister said, trying to make sense of what her sister had just told her.

“They didn’t. But then, people like Cordy never were aloud to associate with people like Spike and me.” Buffy pointed out. “I did hear that she had a thing for him once, though.”

“I thought you said that Spike only dated one girl in high school.” Dawn pondered, tapping her fingers on the table rhythmically.

“He did. He went out with Faith McKinney for a year and a half, but she cheated on him with Angel. After that, Spike just didn’t seem to notice any other girl.”

“Probably because he was too busying noticing you.” Dawn grinned, giving Buffy the I-know-more-than-you-think look.

“Dawn.” Buffy warned, taking a sip of her mocha, savoring the cool sensation in her warm mouth before letting the thick liquid slide down her throat.

“What? Can you honestly tell me that Spike rejected all those girls that asked him out, just because of one breakup?” She asked, slightly annoyed at her sister’s reaction to her words. “Please. He was totally into you way before you guys hooked up. Besides, he and Faith weren’t that serious. It just seemed like sex to me.”

“How would you know, you were only ten when we left Sunnydale.” Buffy replied, remembering her sister three years ago. She had grown up so much since then. Her dark hair was longer than it had been when they still lived in Sunnydale, reaching down to the middle of her back, and her eyes had become a darker blue than before. Buffy knew that wasn’t the only thing that had changed about her baby sister, though. She also knew that Dawn was a teenager now and that she understood much more about life in general than she had three years ago.

“Yeah, but it was so obvious. I mean, even mom knew that Faith was just using him. I may have not understood it then, but I’ve taken sex-ed since we moved here. I know all about that stuff.” Dawn answered, sitting up in her chair and puffing out her chest, proudly.

“I forgot you’re such the expert on all things sex-related now.” Buffy joked, chuckling softly.

“Don’t you forget it.” Dawn said smiling. Her smile suddenly faded when she realized something. “Just don’t tell mom, okay? I couldn’t bare to listen to another one of the ‘talks.’” She groaned, using two fingers from each hand to emphasize the word ‘talks.’

“Don’t worry, your secret's safe with me.” Buffy smiled. She knew how bad her mother’s ‘talks’ were. She had to sit through them many times growing up, especially after...

“I’m sorry.” Dawn said suddenly, breaking Buffy out of one of her more depressing thoughts.

“‘Bout what?” She asked, focusing on the girl in front of her once more.

“I know this is probably hard on you.” She explained, in a soothing tone. “I know how much you loved him.”

Buffy suddenly became very interested in the corners of her folded up napkin. She busied her fingers with trying to neatly fold them back into the shape that they previously had been in. Anything to not think about him. About what they shared. About what they lost... That only brought heartache.

“I admit... I was, well, a little wigged out at first, but I’ve had some time to think about everything and I’m okay with it. He moved on, it’s what people do. I can’t hold that against him. I’m happy that he finally found someone that can make him happy.” The blonde summers said, avoiding the wondering gaze of the young girl across from her. She didn’t know who she was trying to convince more, Dawn or herself.

Dawn saw that Buffy was avoiding her eyes and knew that she wasn’t being honest with her and it made her mad. She and Buffy had become closer over the past three years. Since neither of them knew anyone in New York, they had spent more time together, doing things that sisters are supposed to do with each other, like watch movies and gossip about boys. Dawn even shared some of her more private secrets with her sister and best friend. It hurt to know that Buffy was too afraid to tell her about how she felt, but she also knew how much Buffy went through when she had to leave Spike back in Sunnydale, so she remained as calm as she could be.

“You don’t have to lie to me. I’ll understand. You don’t have to be the strong one all the time, you know. It’s okay to feel less than thrilled to know that the man you love is marrying someone else.”

This got Buffy’s attention. Her head snapped up and hazel eyes met blue, as the eldest sister registered what was just said to her. Her mouth opened and closed a few times, giving her the appearance of a fish out of water. Finally she found her voice.

“I’m not lying. I do have to be strong, and I am happy for them!” She declared, defensively. “And who said I’m still in love with him?”

“Denial much? Of course you’re still in love with him. You and Riley broke up because you couldn’t love him. And why do you think that is? Because you’re still in love with Spike!”

“That’s not why me and Riley broke up!” Buffy stated, angrily. Yes it is. Yes it is. A little voice in the back of her mind screamed. No I broke up with Riley because I wanted to, not because I’m still in love with Spike. I can’t still be in love with Spike. Just because I still have a picture of the two of us on my night stand, and play those same old stupid punk songs that he used to listen to, and that he’s all I think about when I’m awake, and all I dream about when I’m not, doesn’t mean that I still love him! Nope, I’m so over him!

“Yes it is. You couldn’t love Riley because you were still hung up on Spike!” Dawn replied, feeling pretty pissed off herself.

“Dawn, lets not do this, okay?” Buffy breathed, running a hand through her long, shiny, blonde locks. God, I need an aspirin. She thought.

“I still don’t understand why he’d want to marry Cordelia.” Dawn wondered.

“Maybe he loves her.” Buffy supplied, a hint of sadness in her voice.

“No way! You are his one and only. He loved you more than anything.” Dawn said seriously.

“Things change.” Buffy told her bluntly, trying not to feel her heart break as she said the words.

Dawn looked at her sister. She could tell that she was fighting back the emotions with everything she had. Her heart went out to her. “Not that kind of love.”

Buffy didn’t give any indication that she heard her, but Dawn knew that she did. She just wished that she could help her sister somehow. Maybe something good would come out of going back to Sunnydale, after all.

______________________________________________________________________________

Please, please Review!! Remember: I know where you live.