Chapter 34: Pieces of You and Me

The earsplitting sound of a very loud horn reverberated over the freeway leading into the main parking lot of LAX. Cars were lined up for close to a mile, drivers laying on their horns, irritate beyond belief. The sounds of planes taking off in the distance echoed above, while the yelling of overly amped drivers carried on.

Having been stuck in the same spot for nearly five minutes, Spike was not immune to the affects that being stuck in horrendous traffic can have on a person.

“Son of a bitch!” He growled, slamming his fists on the wheel angrily. “Come on. Move your soddin’ ass, grandma!”

Reaching blindly for his cell phone that had somehow went from his duster pocket to the passenger seat, Spike used his other hand to grab at the folded piece of paper that he had shoved into his pants pocket earlier. Pulling it out roughly, he flipped the top of his phone up with his thumb, looking at the number scribbled down before him. Quickly he punched in the series of numbers and pressed the ‘send’ button, raising the phone to his ear.

It rang several times while he shouted at the cars in front of him, before he gave up on the waiting and turned the car off. He hurriedly opened the door, threw off his duster, and made a sprint toward the airport entrance, all the while keeping the phone up to his ear.

He was politely shoving people out of his way, excusing himself in the nicest way he could while still maintaining a steady stride toward the doors. He was throwing open one of the glass doors when the incessant ringing stopped the click signaling somebody had come on the line.

His stride never faulted as he spoke. “Cordelia, pet, don’t speak. Just listen, okay?” His voice was gravelly, having become out of breath from the never-ending excretion he was in the middle of. “I-I know you still want to get hitched. Angel told me what you spilled to Buffy. I’m not mad; I’m not. She’s gone off to catch the next buggerin’ flight to New York, but I’m not mad.

“I understand you love me, Cordy. Above all else I can understand being in love. Been in love nearly my whole bloody life. But not with you, pet.” He wasn’t sure why he paused then, but he felt he owed it to the brunette somehow, since he had just broken her heart not ten hours ago.

Rounding a corner at full speed, he almost slid on his ass from the recently waxed floors and the unsportsmanlike bottoms of his Doc Martens. Pushing through the crowd, he breathed deep, letting the tension in his body dissolve a little. He stopped when he came to the lists of departure times. Finding the right one, he cursed loudly, realizing that the flight left in five minutes.

Racing off in the direction of the terminal, Spike turned his attention back to the one-sided conversation he was having on the phone.

“I love Buffy. I always have. Wouldn’t be chasing ’er half way ‘round the bleedin’ world, if I didn’t.” He sighed loudly, coming to an abrupt stop when the old woman in front of him stopped to check her purse for something. “Jesus Bloody Christ!”

When the old lady turned around and glared at him, he had the decency to look sorry.

“Wasn’t swearin’ at you, m’am.” He smiled goofily. He heard shuffling on the line, and thought that maybe Cordy was laughing at him. Moving to go around the woman, he switched ears, looking frantically around, wanting to spot Buffy. When he didn’t he continued forward.

“And I know that I told you I’d marry you if you still wanted me.” Spike spoke softly, letting his guilt come through. He waited a moment, then chuckled bitterly “Funny thing making your own choices is, huh, pet?”

Silence was all that answered him.

“I can’t marry you, Cordy.” He confessed softly, seriousness in his voice. “And I need to stop this bloody plane from takin’ away the only good thing I have ever known.”

He ran with everything he had, breathing hard, trying to keep the words flowing from his lips. “You’ll find somebody to love you like you should be loved. But I already have. And before she leaves to go back to her life, I have to let her know that I’m sorry for hurting her. And for not trusting in her love back in New York. And for giving up the way I have so many bloody times when it came to us. I have to try to make this work. Even if nothing ever comes from it. Even if she still leaves me here alone.”

When he reached the terminal gate, he stopped dead in his tracks. The doors had already be shut, the seats nearby were empty, and the hop faded from his weary body.

“No.” He breathed to no one but himself. “No! Son of a fuckin’ bitch!”

A breathe hitched on the other end of the phone, and Spike looked down at his free hand, finding it shaking violently. “Cordy? You still there, pet?”

Silence.

“I missed it, Cor.” He told her, deep misery in his voice. He sounded as though he couldn’t really believe it himself. “I missed the bloody plane.”

She stayed silent however, and that somehow seemed to further his anguish. “Cordelia, are you there?”

He heard sniffling on the other end, and realized that she was crying. Great, could this day get any bloody worse?

“You love me?” A meek voice came across the line.

It only took him a split second to recognize that voice. “Buffy?”

It was quiet then, and he started to worry he’d imagined it all. “Buffy, luv? Buffy, are you there?”

“I’m here.” She told him, with conviction in her tear-laced voice.

“Oh, God, pet.” Spike breathed, relieved. “You’re really there. I thought that I just made m’self believe it.”

She sniffled again in response.

“Oh, luv, please don’t cry. You know I can’t stand it.”

“I know.” She replied.

“Where are you? I thought you were on your way to New York.” Spike asked, running a shaky hand through his hair.

“I was.” She confirmed. Spike could almost see her head nodding.

“Where are you now?” He needed to know.

“I’m here.”

~*~*~*~

It took a moment for him to realize that her voice wasn’t coming from the phone, but from behind him. Turning slowly, he raised his head slowly. His restless blue eyes softened instantly when he saw her standing there, her bags at her feet. She had a soft smile on her pretty face, her long hair swept up in a messy pony tail as though she had done it on her way out the door. Her bright hazel eyes were filled to the brim with unshed tears, and she looked absolutely beautiful to his hungry gaze.

He ran to her then, closing his phone on the way and shoving it into his pocket. She waited there from him to reach her, the smile growing wider with his every step. When he reached, he didn’t take her in his arms right away, but stopped to gaze down at her with something akin to awe in his eyes. He narrowed his eyes after a moment.

“And Cordelia?” He wondered, brow rising slowly.

Buffy just grinned, stepping closer to him. “Sorry, Cordelia never wanted to get back together. I just needed to know that you would have chosen this when faced with the possibility of losing me for good.”

Spike nodded, understanding. “”There as no choice. It was always you, Buffy.”

He caressed her face lovingly. Blue eyes held her own, and he poured out his soul.

“I know I haven’t been the greatest person these last few weeks, but I need you to know that I’m sor-”

She hushed him when she placed a finger to his lips. “It’s okay. You said it all before. When you thought it was Cordy.”

He took her hand gently in his own, kissing it softly before pulling it away from his face and entwining their fingers. “Well, now I’m saying it to you.”

“I forgive you.”

“Just like that?” Spike wondered, rubbing his thumb on the back of her hand affectionately.

She nodded, not needing to even think about it, she reached for his other hand, pulling him closer. “But that doesn’t matter right now.”

Spike raised a dark brow in question. “It doesn’t?”

She smiled again, giving him a coy look. “Can’t we just skip that part for now? I mean, you have so much making up to do. I think you should get started pretty soon. As in now.”

Spike smirked back at her. “Is that so?”

“Yep.” She told him, popping her ‘p.’ “And in case you didn’t know, that was code for ‘kiss me now.’

Spike smiled, before doing just that.

~*~*~*~

His hands were trembling, he noticed for the millionth time that night, and he tried to fit the key into the lock of his front door. She was behind him, waiting patiently, but feeling like her skin might fall off if he didn’t touch her soon.

As soon as the door was unlocked, and they were inside, Spike reached for her. She went willingly into his arms, gasping when he lifted her off her feet, and proceeded up stairs to his bedroom.

She pressed her lips to his hungrily and they fell on the bed together, kisses never ceasing. His hands were everywhere at once it seemed, and Buffy couldn’t get enough of him. She ran her hands down his chest, grabbing at the offending material of his t-shirt, suppressing the urge to rip it in two.

When he suddenly pulled away, she opened her eyes in confusion. “What? Where’re you going, mister?”

He smiled lovingly down at her, letting his hands ghost down her arms in the barest of touches. “What’s gonna happen, luv? Where do we go from here?”

She smiled saucily up at him. “Well I know it’s been nearly twenty-four hours, Spike, but you haven’t forgotten how it’s done already, have you?”

He chuckled at her, licking his lips teasingly. “Oh, pet, I haven’t forgotten all those places that make you scream.”

She leant up to continue their kiss, but he pulled back again. “What’s gonna happen now, Buffy?”

She laid her head back down on the pillow beneath her, never breaking eye contact. “Spike-”

“I’m thinkin’ New York’s a nice place this time of the year.” He smiled.

She reeled back, surprised.

“You’re moving to New York?” She asked, incredulously.

He nodded, letting his gaze fall lower on her body, his hands resuming their exploration. He pushed the straps of her tank top down, head falling forward to place gently, loving kisses along her soft skin, as his tongue peeping out to taste the salt of her flesh. His left hand cupped a breast and massaged it roughly, pinching the nipple through the fabric of her shirt.

Buffy closed her eyes, gasping at the feel of him. She wrapped her arms around his broad shoulders, arching into him. She was having trouble forming words as her brain slowly turned to mush.

“B-but why would…oh, mmm…you move…mmm, Spike…to N-New York…Feels so good…when I’m moving…Spike…here?” She finally got the whole thing out, and felt proud of yourself. Being able to think with Spike doing those delicious things to her was a feat in itself.

He lifted his head then, surprise overtaking his features. “You’re moving back here?”

She looked up at him shyly. “W-well, I thought I’d give ‘Sunnydale U’ a try, ya know? I mean, when I was a kid, I always thought we’d all end up there together anyway. Maybe I can even get Fred to transfer too. She’s always wanted to see California.”

Spike smiled, delighted beyond words. He ran his fingertips down the side of her face in awe. “I love you, Buffy. Can’t remember a time when I didn’t love you.”

“What about the time you dumped me for Dru?” She quipped, feigning hurt.

Spike rolled his eyes. “I was bloody eleven years old! Can’t possibly hold me responsible for something I didn’t know anything about, now can you, pet?”

“Yeah, well, you burned me pretty bad. I’m afraid you may have severely affected my ability to commit to anyone else for the rest of m’life.”

Spike scoffed. “That works out nicely, then. Since the only person you’ll ever being committing to, is me.”

She laughed. “I love you, William.”

“Love you too, Buffy.”

That seemed to be enough for the both of them then, and they came together again. Every kiss, every touch, every word whispered in passion was intended to convey just how much they meant to each other. It was the act of love, preformed with the deepest love either of them had ever known, and when their bodies joined as one once more, the world melted away. And when they came together in a rush of pleasure, Buffy knew she wasn’t incomplete any longer, knowing instinctively that he felt the same. Like a puzzle full of itty bitty pieces of a larger picture, her life joined with his, and everything came together.

Just the way it was meant to.

~*~*~*~


Well, just the epilogue to go then ;) Should be up in a couple of days. Maybe even tomorrow, if I have the time;) Please review!!