‘Pieces of You’


By: Saltygoodness


Summary: Buffy and Will have been best friends for all of their life. When Buffy is forced to move to New York, they share one passionate night together that changes everything. What will happen when they meet up three years later for Will’s wedding?


Rating: R


Disclaimer: Obviously, the characters in this story are not mine. They are the property of Joss Whedon, UPN, Mutant Enemy, etc. I own nothing except for the stories that I write to help my Spuffy obsessed self sleep at night.


Feedback: Please. I love it, need it, and it helps get the wheels in my head turning. Tell me what you think. Pretty please with chocolate covered Spike on top.


If you love the Spuffiness, the Spuffiness will love you back...


________________________________________________________________________







10 Years Ago, Sunnydale:

"So, Buffy, do you wanna come o’er my house after school? We can play with my new doll house again." Willow said as she walked to lunch with her best friend.

"Sure. I just have to let my mom know first." Buffy answered, her honey blonde hair bouncing with every step.

"Cool. It’s your turn to be the mother this time. I’ll be the little girl." The red head informed her.

They both smiled simultaneously, and entered the cafeteria. Their eyes searched for their three best friends. They spotted Xander’s eager hand waving them over to one of the lunch tables where he, Will, and Tara were sitting and proceeded towards them.

"Hey, guys." Buffy greeted, taking a seat next to Will. Willow followed her example, sitting down beside Xander.

Xander gave a dramatic curtsy, and went back to eating his lunch. Tara just gave a shy smile, which Buffy returned, and Will...barely acknowledged that she was there! What? That can’t be right.

Buffy frowned. What was his problem?

"So, what’re you guys doing tonight?" Xander asked, taking a bite of some undistinguishable brown matter that was supposed to pass for hamburger meat. Buffy watched him, and crinkled her brow slightly in disgust. She never ate lunch in school. Her mommy would always take her out somewhere special to eat when she got home, like McDonalds or Burger King.

"Buffy’s coming over to my house to play dolls." Willow answered cheerfully.

Buffy heard Will give a snort at that and elbowed him roughly in the ribs. He just slid farther from her and said nothing.

Willow glanced up at Tara and smiled.

"You can come too. I-I mean, only if you want to." She stuttered, unsure. Tara looked surprised and overjoyed to be invited. She was finally starting to feel like one of the ‘Scoobies,’ as they called themselves.

"O-of course, I’ll come." She smiled sweetly. It seemed to ease some of the tension in the red-head’s body. Tara was glad.

After a few minutes of socializing with her friends, Buffy was quiet. Will had been acting weird all week and she had no idea why. He barely talked to her anymore, and when he did, he was mean to her. She didn’t understand boys at all. She was pulled out of her thoughts when she heard a raspy whisper come from said boy.

"Buffy!" He murmured urgently as her friends kept on talking, not hearing him. She continued to look straight ahead. If he could be mean, then so can she. She wouldn’t talk to him. "Buffy!"

She turned her head to look at him, giving him a questioning look. Her head was still lowered, and she noticed that he was trying to pass her a piece of paper. She frowned at him, but reached out quickly and took the offered note. The young Englishman then turned his attention immediately back on his tray in front of him, as if nothing had happened, and Buffy unfolded the note.

"Buffy..." it began, and the blonde girl was instantly absorbed into William’s slender cursive writing. He really had pretty handwriting, she thought. She continued to read and smiled slightly when she read the next line. "Do you like me?"

The petite blonde girl quickly checked the yes box that he had drawn on the paper and passed it back. She watched him as he read her answer.

Will looked at the message and then at her, but she looked away, shyness evident in her eyes. He scribbled something else underneath what she wrote and slide the folded piece of paper across the table, back to her.

Buffy unfolded the note once more and read it.

"Do you want to be my girlfriend?"

Will watched his best friend out of the corner of his eyes. He saw a collage of emotions pass through her features, and heard his heart thumped wildly in his chest. She looked like she was in deep thought, before smiling, and writing her answer. He then watched as she finished, before folding the paper and handing it back to him. He hurriedly unfolded the note and searched for her response. A smile tugged at the corner of his lips as he looked up to find her smiling at him.

There scribbled lightly on the crinkled piece of notebook paper was a single word in blue ink.



"Okay."



~*~*~*~


One week later, nine year old Buffy Summers watched the clock on the wall, waiting for the bell to ring. She wanted school to be over for the day so she could see William. Having a boyfriend was cool! All her friends thought that she was the coolest girl in the entire third grade because her boyfriend was a manly fourth grader. Plus, she really liked William. He was smart and funny and cute, in his own way. He was always nice to her and sat next to her at lunch and always shared his twinkies with her. She thought he was the best boyfriend ever. But what she liked most was that they were best friends before they became boyfriend-girlfriend.

Suddenly the ear-piercing ringing of the bell sounded and all the students hurried out of the room. Buffy grabbed her backpack from her respective cubby and preceded to follow the movement of her fellow classmates into the crowded hallway. She searched the crowd for any sign of her friends, standing on her tip toes to see over the different colored heads around her. Finally spotting Willow, she began to made her way through the hoards of over-sugared children, practically bouncing off the walls.

"Hey, Wills." Buffy addressed her friend, evidence that school was done, a smile on her pink lips.

"Oh, hey Buff. I didn’t even see you in all that mess." She squealed, excitedly. Buffy laughed.

" So, where’s the gang?" She asked, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible. Willow knew better, though.

"You mean, where’s your b/f?" She responded, grinning.

"Well, him too." Buffy chuckled, shifting the heavy backpack from one shoulder to the other.

"Need some help, pet?" Came a familiar voice from behind Buffy, making her jump in surprise. "Jumpy."

She turned around and smiled at William. His sparkling icy blue orbs looked a shade darker than usual, Buffy noticed. It must have been the baby blue dress shirt he wore, which always made them stand out.

"Hi, Will. Xander." She greeted as the darker haired boy came up behind William. He waved in reply.

"So, you guys doing anything? We could all go see a movie or somethin’." Willow suggested, as the three friends made their way out of the school building, in perfect sync, like they had done it a million times.

"Yeah, I hear there’s a new pirate movie out that’s reeaalllyy good." Xander said, drawing out his ‘really’ for emphasis.

"Oh, I can’t tonight. My mom and dad want me to come home straight after school. They want to talk to me about my grades." Buffy said, disappointed. She was going to be in trouble. She just knew it. She had brought home two F’s the other day and her mother was furious. Plus, she was also failing math.

"Well, how ‘bout you, Will? You up for some one-eyed, hook wearing, pirate fun?" Xander asked.

"I don’ think so. My da said he needs to talk to me ‘bout some' in important. Don’t know what, though." He replied, glancing over in time to see Buffy look up at him thoughtfully. He knew that she knew that he was making excuses. If she wasn’t going, then neither was he, and since they lived next door to each other, chances were that their parents would let them play.

Buffy smiled. She knew he was lying. His father didn’t have anything important to talk to him about and she knew it. He just wanted to stay at home and try to con her mother out of grounding her for the rest of her life, so she could play with him. But hey, she wasn’t complaining!

"Oh, well, I guess it looks like it’s just you an’ me, Wills." Xander said, smiling at the red head beside him.

"Looks like." She replied, smiling right back. "Maybe we could see if Tara wants to come with us."

"Sure thing." The dark-haired agreed, clasping red-headed best friend’s hand in his.

"See you guys later." They both called in unison, running off.

"Bye."

"Later Red, Whelp."

The other two continued on their way home in silence.


~*~*~*~


Buffy awoke to a rather loud ‘thud’ outside her window. She jumped up in bed, startled out of slumber and looked in the direction of which it came. The room was pitch black and she had to squint to make out the shadow of a lone figure outside her bedroom window. She had no idea who it was and was just about to call to her mom, when she heard a light tapping on the glass, followed by a very British voice calling her name softly.

She threw the covers back unceremoniously and stumbled out of her warm bed. She walked over to the window as quietly as she could, as to not wake her mom or dad. When she reached her destination, she flung it open and peered out to a sprawled out William on her rooftop.

"What are you doin’ here, Will?" She asked, shivering slightly as the cool night air wrapped itself around her body, leaving a cold sensation on her skin. The nightgown she wore was thin and did nothing to ward off the offending cold.

"I was sneakin’ up to you room to see you and I fell." He explained, standing slowly, careful not to slip again. "You know how bloody hard it is to climb that?"

Buffy’s gaze followed to where his finger pointed at the large tree that almost grew over top the roof.

"You climbed all the way up here?" She shrieked.

"Shh! Don’t wanna wake your mum and da, do ya?" Will chided, putting a finger up to his lips. Buffy smiled sheepishly and muttered a shy apology.

"’S’okay." He whispered softly. "Sorry I woke you up."

"That’s okay." Buffy whispered back.

"I just wanted to give you this." He explained, hold out his hand to her. There, dangling from his slender fingers, was a long silver chain, swinging back and forth from his sudden movement. A shimmer of light reflected of the shiny metal, the streetlamp shining down one it. Attached to the beautiful chain was a small trinket. Buffy’s eyes adjusted to the poor lighting and were able to make out a little silver heart with a stake piecing it. It was the most beautiful necklace she had ever seen.

"Will," She gasped. "Where’d you get that?"

"It was my mum’s. My real mum..." He trailed off. Buffy just stared at the small boy in front of her. Her boyfriend.

"I want you to ‘ave it." He told her smiling. He had waited all week to work up the courage to finally give to her. Then he just suddenly felt brave enough at 2:00 in the morning, so he snuck out past his parents’ and Angel’s rooms, out the house, up her tree and here he was.

"I can’t take that, Will. It was your mom’s." His smile faded.

"Wha’? Why not?"

"Because, it was your mother’s and it wouldn’t be right to give it to me." She said, leaning on the windowpane, staring him in the eyes.

"But I want you to have it." He tried to make her understand.

"Why?" She asked, curious.

"‘Cause you’re my girlfriend." He said simply. He watched as her face lit up, and her lips broke out into a wide smile. He couldn’t help but smile back as she watched him place the necklace in her tiny hand. Her fingers closed around it and she looked back up at him.

"I’ll keep it safe." She promised. "Always."

He said nothing, but rather reached up and brushed a stray lock of sun-kissed hair away from her eyes. Yep, he was the best boyfriend in the world, Buffy thought.

______________________________________________________________________