Chapter Six: One of These Days



"Buffy, honey, can you please send down your dirty laundry?" Joyce called, standing at the base of the stairs that lead to the second story. Her pitch was loud enough that her voice would carry up to her eldest daughter’s room.

"Sure, mom." She heard Buffy reply, right before the hum of the dumbwaiter descending down it’s narrow shaft sounded through the air. The noise stopped abruptly, and Joyce tugged on the smaller door, lifting it to peer inside. A huge pile of dirty clothes littered the smaller version of an elevator.

"One of these days, they’re going to start doing their own laundry." She breathed, heaving the clothing into her lime green clothes basket, and shutting the door. She had started to do her daughters chores around the house in order to make the change of location easier on them. It was one less thing for the two young girls to worry about, and she felt like she was doing the right thing, but here she was three years later, still doing it.

"One of these days.." She repeated, sighing heavily, and continuing on her daily ritual of never-ending house work.

~*~*~*~

Buffy sat, sprawled out comfortably on her bed trying to study for her finals which she would have to take upon returning from the wedding. A blue book lay open in front of her, and several sharpened number two pencils were scattered around her body like her own little Berlin wall. Unfortunately, it did nothing to make her feel any safer.

She knew she couldn’t run from her past forever. She knew that she would have to face up to things sooner or later. She knew that she would have to see him again someday. She just really wished that day wasn’t anywhere near as close as tomorrow evening.

Her flight left New York tomorrow afternoon around two, and would arrive in Los Angeles around five. Her father was scheduled to pick her and Dawn up at a quarter after. Buffy’s mother had a very important series of meetings for her gallery all week and would not be able to fly out until the day of the wedding. Until then, Buffy and Dawn were to stay with their absentee father and his new fiance. Things could not get any worst.

But knowing how her life always turned out, Buffy knew that they were bound to. It was like her guarantee or something. Always bad luck for Buffy. Yep, that was how it always happened. She also knew that going to a wedding in which the groom is the ’love of your life’ and the bride was the ’evil bitch monster of death’ was definitely of the bad.

She had contemplated not going, but Dawn wouldn’t hear of it. The feisty raven haired teenager could have quite the temper when need be. She had specifically stated that if Buffy didn’t attend Spike’s wedding, that she would "pull out your rip cage and wear it as a hat." Buffy wondered when her baby sister became so scary.

"Arraaggghhh!" The blonde yelled, slamming her English lit book closed for good measure. She rolled over onto her back and stared up at her ceiling. Tiny glow-in-the-dark stars defied gravity as they stuck almost magically above her head with some kind of cheep paste. The light from the outside Manhattan sky shone through, preventing them from actually ‘glowing’.

The blonde sighed heavily.

"This is going to be the longest two weeks in my life." She muttered, pulling a pillow over her face, hoping to drown out the outside world of complications.

~*~*~*~

________________________________________________________________________
A/N: I know, not a whole lot happening in this chapter. Sorry, it just felt like a little reflection time, I guess. Thanks for the reviews. Please keep 'em comin'.