Chapter Eight: Dreaming

10 years ago, Sunnydale:

"Do you wanna kiss me?"

"What?"

"I said, do you wanna kiss me?"

"Why would you ask that?"

"‘Cause we’re girlfriend and boyfriend. We should kiss."

"Well, I don’t know...do you wanna kiss me?"

"Maybe. Do you?"

"Maybe."

"Well, do it already!"

"Okay, okay. You’re one bossy lil’ chit, you know that, right?"

Buffy just let a sweet smile wash over her features at the comment. She and Will were sitting high up in the tree house, like they did everyday after school let out, doing homework together. The cute couple were joined at the hip ever since they had become girlfriend and boyfriend. Willow, Xander, and Tara hardly ever saw them outside of class anymore. Everyone, including their parents, thought that it was the most adorable thing in the world.

Will had been thoroughly surprised when the blonde had suddenly asked him if he wanted to kiss her. That was the last thing he expected to hear when she opened her mouth to speak to him. Not that he hadn’t thought about kissing her, because God only knew that if he put as much thought into his schoolwork as he did into kissing Buffy, he would be the valedictorian by the time he graduated. He remembered a time not so long ago that he had sworn to himself that he would never have a girlfriend. Boy’s, had things changed for him since he met Buffy. And things were even better now that she was his girlfriend and didn’t have that gross crush on his older step-brother now. Now, she was all his.

Balancing his weight on his arms, he leant forward slowly, until the two blondes were almost touching noses. Hazel eyes locked with blue, as the first contact was made. Their lips pressed together gently, and both of their bodies went rigid. Buffy had no idea what she was doing, so she just continue to stare into the very widened eyes of William, hoping against all hope that she was doing this right.

Will wondered if he was doing this right. He had seen enough of his mum’s movies to know that they were supposed to close their eyes when they kissed, but he was so nervous he couldn’t bring himself to move. Buffy’s lips were soft and warm and they tasted like sweet, red strawberries. He suspected that she was wearing some fruit flavored lip gloss and almost smiled into the kiss. She was the coolest girlfriend ever!

Minutes passed and air became an issue. The two blondes finally pulled apart and let go of the breath they didn’t know they were holding. Buffy was the first to reign control of her breathing. She looked up to find Will staring at her intently. She smiled a slightly nervous smile, which he returned.

"That was kinda nice." She commented, cheerfully.

"Yeah." He agreed, bobbing his head up and down to show his approval.

"Wanna go steal some cookies out of my mom’s cookie jar?" She asked suddenly, changing the subject just as abruptly as she had brought it up.

"Sure." Will replied. "Let’s go." They stood and begun to make their way down the old wooden ladder and back down to earth.

~*~*~*~

"You’re dumping me?!" Buffy exclaimed incredously, her hazel eyes wide and mouth hanging open in shock.

"Yeah." Will replied, sheepishly. He really didn’t want to hurt her feelings, but well, he just wanted to be her friend again.

"But, why?" The petite blonde asked, trying not to cry. She had promised herself that she wouldn’t cry in front of him. She was almost ten years old, she wouldn’t cry in front of stupid William Giles.

"Because Dru broke up with Peaches, and now she wants to go with me." He explained, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"B-but you were the one who wanted to be my boyfriend!" She said, feeling bile rise in the back of her throat. She felt like she was about to throw up any minute now.

"I know, but now I just want us to be friends again." Will answered, trying to be as cool as possible. After all, he did have a reputation to uphold as a fourth grader.

Buffy was seriously pissed off. She felt like saying every bad word she had ever heard her mommy or daddy use-maybe even a couple British ones she learnt from Giles. She thought that Will really liked her. She sure as heck really liked him. She thought he was the coolest thing since sliced bread- with his really weird way of words and his funny accent. But now she saw that all he was, was a big poophead.

So she told him. "You’re such a poophead, Will!" She yelled. "I wish I never met you!" She burned to walk away from the boy looking at her.

"Well, you don’ need to get your knickers in a twist. I was just saying..." Will trailed off, trying to find the right words as to not look stupid in front the large crowd of boys and girls watching the two blondes fight it out. "Dru s’not as whiny as you are."

Buffy stopped dead in her tracks. He had just called her whiny. Her! She wasn’t the whiny one, he was! How dare he say mean things about her. And if front of a bunch of fourth and fifth graders no less. She turned around and glanced over at the group of popular kids, eyeing them intensely. She smiled evilly, forming a plan. With a stature of determination in her stride, Buffy marched swiftly back over to her former boyfriend.

He had that smug look on his face. That look of achievement he got whenever he knew he had won. Buffy was determined to whip that look right off his annoying little face. When she reached her destination, the petite blonde reached out and quickly snatched the tan frames off of Will’s nose.

"Hey! Give ‘em, you stupid bint!" Will yelled. He really hated it when she did this to him. He was almost completely blind without them, and often tripped over various items in his path. He realized that he probably looked like a complete jackass to everyone watching them, and grew more frustrated by the minute. His long arms were held straight out in front of him, flapping around wildly. Buffy was so gonna get it! "I can’t see a thing!"

"Apologize." She said simply. She refused to be made a fool out of in front of everyone, especially by Will. She would see to it that he was the only one that came out of the situation embarrassed.

"Buffy." He sighed in exhaustion. He sent a silent prayer up to anyone who might be listening, that he didn’t fall on his ass.

"Apologize." She repeated more firmly, unaffected by his state of desperation.

"Oh, alright, m’sorry." Will finally gave in to her demands. Upon hearing this, Buffy shoved the glasses into his chest and turned to stomp away. Will placed the thick frames back onto his face, and all the world came rushing back. A sigh of relief escaped his lips. He catch sight of a retreating form and watched as his former girlfriend and best friend of four years walked away from him in a fury of anger.

~*~*~*~

Buffy awoke with a start. It took a moment for her to realize that she had been dreaming. About Sunnydale. About Spike. And what a dream it was! Her first kiss, their first break up. Those events had happened so many years ago, so many miles away from New York. Sunnydale seemed like a fantasy place from one of her romance novels. Surely, such a place couldn’t really exist, could it? Everything that she and her circle of friends went through, every movie they ever watched, every song they every danced to, every kiss from the man she loved; It couldn’t really have ended so abruptly as her life in Sunnydale did. Buffy had no idea how she ended up where she was now.

On a flight to Los Angeles Airport.

She moved slightly to the left, trying to ease the pressure of her weight on her bottom. Plane seats have to be the worst seats ever to be invented. She thought. They were only a half hour into the flight, and already her muscles were starting to cramp. Her shoulders had as much tension as humanly possible, and her lower back ached from the slope of the back of the semi-cushioned seat.

Glancing out the small window at her side, she stared at the left wing of the plane. She felt the rumbling of the engines, it made the floor vibrate, and sent tiny tremors up the soles of her feet and into her calves. A gently purring could be heard, and the sound seemed to set her troubled mind at ease.

Somewhat.

"You alright?" Buffy turned to look at the seat adjacent to her, at the sound of her sister’s voice. Dawn seemed to notice to distress and was eager to help her older sister. Her big blue eyes were filled with worry and a frown marred her features.

"Fine." Buffy choked out, voice haggard from sleep. She saw the unconvinced look on her sister’s face and managed a halfhearted smile. Dawn didn’t buy it.

"You were dreaming about him, weren’t you?" She asked, already knowing the answer.

Buffy sighed, knowing full well who ‘him’ was. Her sister was getting way too smart for her own good. "Can’t get anything by you, can I?"

"Not likely." Dawn smiled, realizing that this wasn’t going to be a tough one to crack. Her sister caved so easily, it didn’t take very much effort on her part.

"I just...I don’t know how I’m supposed to act when I see him again. I mean, it’s been three years." She confessed, hoping that talking to Dawn would help. She would have had this conversation with her mom, except that she wasn’t flying in until the day before the wedding. She had two weeks full of meetings and art shows for her gallery. She and Dawn were to stay with their father and his new fiance. Buffy wasn’t happy to say the least.

"What if he doesn’t want to see me?" She asked suddenly, realizing that going back to Sunnydale might have been a mistake.

"Of course he wants to see you, Buffy. Relax." Dawn urged, hoping to get her sister to chill out. A Buffy-wigg-fest would not be a good thing right now. But by the look on the blonde’s face, Dawn knew that was exactly what was coming.

"That’s easy for you to say. You’re not the one going to your best friend’s wedding, after finding out that he is marrying the most vapid bitch to every walk Sunnydale High’s hallways, who has tormented you and him for most of your high school years, and who is now practically your cousin, and marrying the man you always thought you would marry, and did I mention that plane rides scare me?" By the end of her babble, Buffy had no breath left and was panting heavily.

"Geez, worry much?" Dawn asked, sarcasm dripping from her voice. She quirked an eyebrow at her older sister, letting her know that she really needed to get a grip.

Buffy let out a heavy sigh and closed her eyes tightly. She envisioned the object of her affection in her mind’s eye and a ghost of a smile formed on her face. He really was the most handsome man she had ever laid eyes on. And he was hers. Maybe not now, but he used to be-even if it was just for one night, he had been hers. And Buffy was okay with that. She was glad that she had been blessed enough to have someone like Spike in her life. And she loved him, probably always would. Even if he didn’t love her anymore.

She stayed like that for a few more moments, just envisioning him. The sharp angular cheek bones and pale skin. The bleached hair and leather duster. The devilish smirk and penetrating blue eyes. God, did she have it bad.

Buffy almost laughed when she thought back to her dream. They were so young and everything seemed so vital and dramatic then. Popularity and acceptance from all the other children were the most important things in the world to a nine and ten year old. If they would break up with someone now for the reason of "she’s not as whiny as you," well, let’s just say that it wouldn’t go very well.

She remembered how a week after their ‘tragic’ break-up, Willow and Xander would finally get her and Spike to talk again. They were the best of friends again, despite Drusilla being Spike’s girlfriend. And when her parents became aware of her mental condition a month later, Buffy kept Spike company when Drusilla had to go away to visit a ‘special doctor’.

Friends always stuck together.

When she finally opened her eyes again, she felt a little better. Her heart was still slamming in her chest, but no longer did she have the sudden sickening feeling to vomit all over the plane. I can do this. I can do this. She repeated over and over in her head, wishing she felt as confident as her thoughts did. She was finally going to the only place she could every call home. Sunnydale. And she was finally going to see the only person who could ever steal her heart. Spike.

"You alright?" She heard Dawn ask, worriedly. She just nodded her answer and went back to staring out the window.

'I can do this. I can do this.' She chanted silently. But somewhere a little nagging voice in the back of her mind, whispered back to her chanting.

'You so can’t do this.'

________________________________________________________________________

Short and sweet, cause I got tons of homework to do. Please review!

Hugs and kisses,

~Saltygoodness~