IDENTITY CRISIS

*Heather Martin*

Disclaimer- I do NOT own Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This is a story with characters created by Joss Whedon. I am only borrowing them.

Spoilers- This will have many spoilers. It occurs after Wrecked, and will refer to everything before that also. But mostly, Fool for Love.

Summary- A spell has a far greater impact than Willow or Spike counted on. The vampire is split into two separate embodiments: the demon and William. But there’s still Spike, who has to decide who he really is, the demon or the man. And time is running out.

“Poor Spikey! Can’t be a human, can’t be a vampire.” ~Wrecked
But what if he had a choice?

Chapter 3- Meet William

Dawn came home early the next morning. She put her duffle bag down on the carpet. Her eyes wondered to the living room, where she saw a person on the couch. He was snoring loudly.

Who the heck is that? she wondered. Did Buffy get a new boyfriend? She moved closer. His head was turned away so that she couldn’t make his identity out. She sighed. Oh well, I’ll just have to ask someone.

The teen bumped into Willow on the way to the kitchen. She noticed the grave face that Willow had on.

“Willow, who is that?” Dawn asked. She pointed to the couch.

Willow was near tears. “I don’t know if I can explain without breaking down,” she whispered.

“I can explain,” said a harsh voice.

They turned to see Buffy standing there. She had her arms crossed. “Our little witch here did another spell. This one split Spike into 2 parts. That there. . .” She nodded to the sofa. “is William. And from what I gathered last night, after a long talk with Willow, his other half, the demon, is running around somewhere biting who knows who. “

Dawn stared in silence for a moment. Then she finally said,” You mean Spike isn’t Spike anymore, but his human self and his vampire self? Like when there were Xanders?”

Buffy sighed. “No, Spike is still his irritating self. We just have 2 more of him, that aren’t. . . well, exactly him.”

“Oh, I get it,” Dawn stated. “We have William, before he was turned, and the demon him. But Spike is still Spike. Good. I was scared there for a sec that my best pal was gone.”

“Dawn, stop acting like this is okay. We can’t have a demon Spike going around causing havoc. He may even come after me or you.”

Dawn shook her head. “Spike wouldn’t do that. He loves you and me.”

“Spike wouldn’t,” Buffy confessed. She wasn’t totally trustful of the vampire, but that much was true. He would never intentionally hurt them. At least not much, she thought as images from the crumbling house came back to her. She pushed them away quickly. “But, this isn’t Spike. Or it is. . . God, I’m confusing myself. I don’t know what has happened. All I know is that, there is a demon lose out there. Back when Spike was with Drusilla he tried to kill me numerous times. I’m afraid that he might do that again. And if he does, I’ll have to stake him. And who knows what that will do to our Spike.” She looked over at Willow, wanting the answers.

The red-head replied,” I’ll make this right. I’m going to research this, find a way to undo it all.”

“Fine,” Buffy said kind of coldly. She couldn’t face her friend as she said it. Willow let her down, and she worried that she would again. If Willow could give in that easily. . .

“I’ll be going then,” stated Willow. “If I find anything, you’ll be the first to know.” She left in a flash.

Buffy didn’t move. Why did her life have to be so complicated? She had been trying to sort out her feelings for Spike, and now there were three of him. And her Spike had to go and piss her off again by asking for the spell in the first place. Whenever she begins to like the way he acts, he screws up by saying something or doing something to ruin it all.

There was a moan as William awoke. He sat up slowly, taking in his surroundings. It took him awhile to sort out where he was. He noticed Dawn. “Nibblet?”

Dawn examined this man. He wore a black t-shirt and jeans. His hair was light brown, wavy and falling in his blue eyes. “Spike?”

“What?” William got up and moved over to her. “Oh, I’m sorry. I thought you were my sister for a moment.”

Dawn raised an eye-brow. “Sister?”

“Yeh, Elly.”

“You call your sister Nibblet?”

“Sort of a nickname.”

A smile came to Dawn’s mouth. “My name is Dawn. But you can call me Nibblet if you want to.”

“Ah right then,” William said.

Dawn shifted to Buffy. “Buffy, he’s Spike, but he’s like alive. This is amazing!” She was growing exciting.

William frowned. “Who is this famous Spike? Was he that guy here yesterday?”

Buffy nodded. “The very one.”
“Well he wasn’t very nice to you. I don’t think I like being mistaken as him just because we resemble each other. And what kind of name is Spike anyway?” William commented.

Dawn giggled. “Man, you are out of it.”

Incomprehension was on his expression. “I don’t know what is going on, or who you people are. I just want to go home. My mother must be worried.”

This was so weird. Buffy watched the man before her. This was Spike back when he was human. He had a family, one he cared for. I wonder what happened to them, thought Buffy. Surely he didn’t kill them, did he? For some reason she didn’t think Spike would do that. He might have been a monster, but he wasn’t that evil. Her eyes widened. Did she use the past-tense right then?

Dawn grabbed William’s hand. She pulled him to the door. “I have to see something,” she exclaimed.

Buffy followed the two outside. William was in the lawn, beaming with sunshine. Dawn danced around him, happily taking him in.

“What’s the fuss about, little one?” he questioned.

She grinned. “You’re in the daylight!”

“Yeh, I guess I am,” he said. He shook his head. These people were strange.

Suddenly a car drove by. William shrieked. He staggered backwards in fright. “What the bloody hell!?”

“Oh, that’s just a car,” Dawn said.

Buffy came up. She touched his arm gently. “Let’s go back inside. I’ll explain things to you.”

+++++++++

Everything was a jumble. Buffy had just got done explaining things to him. He was in the future. There were vampires, he was one, or will be. Spike was him. She was the slayer, chosen to defeat evil. Spike had a chip in his head, so he couldn’t bite anyone anymore.

He knew that he should be thinking this was garbage. But somehow it made sense. And it scared him more than anything had before.

He recalled the woman in the alley. The last thing he remembered was her face changing. Things were fitting into place, and the picture wasn’t coming out to his liking.

“I knew Cicely had wrecked my life, but I hadn’t known it would be this much. If only I hadn’t had wondered the streets in devastation,” he mumbled to himself.

“I’m sorry. This must be awful for you,” Buffy said.

“So, do I uh. . . drink blood and all?”

“You only go for animal blood now,” chirped Dawn.

William hung his head. All the horrible things he must have done. He became a monster.